Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Re: Playoffs scenarios 

Post#141 » by Luigi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:12 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Luigi wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
The risk of losing home court is also a big contingency. And regardless of how unlikely you think the plan was, it was obvious that they tanked. If you don’t think it was to avoid HOU, you have to come up with another reason why they egregiously tanked the game against POR.

The plan looks unreasonable to me, given the contingencies and risks. So now we need to explain the Portland loss, or else explain Denver's unreasonable behavior.

For the Portland loss, I'd chalk it up to rest. But as for the competing explanation, you'd also need to explain Denver either being insensitive to the risks, or else being out of control of the plan itself. Of the 2, I'm going with rest.

If you believe their plan was to rest, they are also being insensitive to the risk of losing the 2 seed. In either case they are not trying to win and increasing their chances of losing the 2 seed. You can say that the plan succeeding was unlikely, but you can’t argue that the chances of backfiring (meaning losing the 2 seed) meant a lot when they didn’t try to win. Chalking it up to rest is acknowledging that it didn’t matter a lot.

The risk was present in both explanations. Whether it was to tank or rest, both imply a disregard for the 2 seed. In all likelihood, the Nuggets wanted some rest but also saw the benefits of losing to POR.

Now, we can pretend that the Nuggets were oblivious or didn’t care about playing HOU...but Malone actively tried to lose that game. It wasn’t just holding out players to start the game, it was also benching his backups mid game in favor of third stringers to lose. Everyone around the situation and who watched the game saw this. It’s clear cut and very obvious to me. But to each their own.

Ah yes, that's true. I'm becoming a believer.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#142 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 pm

POR tanking to play into a matchup against us? Let’s **** do this!!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#143 » by Luigi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:58 pm

KqWIN wrote:POR tanking to play into a matchup against us? Let’s **** do this!!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Wow! This is crazy!
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#144 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Go Kings Go!

With Nurkic out, I’d give us 75% of winning that series. HOU...I’d give ourselves a very generous 35%.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#145 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:55 pm

I thought the league said it will do something to prevent teams from sitting out players. I guess not. I hate when teams do that, and that includes the Jazz.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#146 » by KqWIN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:06 pm

I do prefer to watch competitive basketball over figuring out which teams want to lose, who is sitting out, and how that sitting out affects those trying to lose. End of the season kinda sucks.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#147 » by Rauxcee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 pm

KqWIN wrote:POR tanking to play into a matchup against us? Let’s **** do this!!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=21

That would be amazing! Even if we lost to Portland at least I didn't have to watch a series of foul baiting, flopping, and whining to the refs when they don't call every flop and foul bait. Houston is such an ugly brand of basketball.

Portland is likable and at least we have a very good chance against them. I think we win 1 game against the Rockets.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#148 » by CAE15 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Rauxcee wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

That would be amazing! Even if we lost to Portland at least I didn't have to watch a series of foul baiting, flopping, and whining to the refs when they don't call every flop and foul bait. Houston is such an ugly brand of basketball.

Portland is likable and at least we have a very good chance against them. I think we win 1 game against the Rockets.
This. I want to enjoy the games, if we lose so be it. But the Rockets and Thunder are just so boring to watch and then all the complaining all the time!! I'd rather get swept in 4 games from the blazers than lose in 7 to the rockets.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#149 » by vryadli » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:26 am

KqWIN wrote:
Luigi wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
OKC winning at home wasn’t a huge upset...and even if you think it was, there was clear effort to lose the game against POR. It wasn’t subtle, and all their beat writers who are close the team acknowledge that it was an obvious tanking effort.

It's a pretty big contingency. And there are other big contingencies. Beat writers write for clicks.

The risk of losing home court is also a big contingency. And regardless of how unlikely you think the plan was, it was obvious that they tanked. If you don’t think it was to avoid HOU, you have to come up with another reason why they egregiously tanked the game against POR.

Have you any idea why Utah tanked losing to Lakers?
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by Rauxcee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:23 am

Lillard has now been made active for the game against the kings. Doesn't mean he'll play, but now he might.
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#151 » by anish23 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:36 am

We will know it all in 3 hours.

I really don't want us to face Hous or OKC for that matter, two teams and players (apart from PG) I dislike most in the league. Boring dull predictable basketball. I don't want any of it.

GO KINGS.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#152 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:45 am

I have legitimately never witnessed something as ridiculous as this finish. All of the tanking and choke jobs that had to happen for us to play the Rockets...yet here we are. What an extremely unlikely chain of events to occur.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by Rauxcee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:52 am

What an unfortunate turn of events. The one team I absolutely wanted to avoid the most. Yay...

Hope it's a competitive 5 more games.... :(
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#154 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 am

And don't forget a couple of last second 3pt shots that had to drop last night.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#155 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:02 am

If we can go through Houston & GSW & OKC to get to the finals. We deserve it.... man that's a tough route. That PG 3pt shot last night gave OKC a major gift
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#156 » by TO11 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 am

The worst part of this all is that I simply hate watching James Harden play basketball...I too am in awe how unlucky the Jazz were the last few days for this seeding to work out as it has...well if have to play the game we might as well win it...go jazz.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#157 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:02 am

Agreed, I am more frustrated with the prospect of having to watch Harden play basketball than our decreased chances of advancing. The disappointment of watching him play instead of Lillard is just crushing.

HOU isn't the juggernaut they were last year, and I expect we'll play them much better this time around. Maybe even to a series victory. I don't think we're favorites, but we shouldn't be massive underdogs either.
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#158 » by anish23 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am

I am so bummed....
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#159 » by Denizfeital » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 am

Worst case scenario for The Jazz.

I will say it again: I will blame those stupid losses for not be in a higher seeding. Now we will face Houston. If by a miracle we beat them we will need another miracle to beat GSW. I am not counting on two miracles in the same year.

I hope they learn something for next year. Oh well...I will root as always for The Jazz, but man...

And by the way, to make things worse, I can see GSW x OKC in the Western Conference Finals. How worse can it get? :banghead: :banghead:
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Post#160 » by CallMeKahn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:53 am

Denizfeital wrote:Worst case scenario for The Jazz.

I will say it again: I will blame those losses in a randomized sport where no wins are guaranteed on any night for not be in a higher seeding. Now we will face Houston. If by a miracle we beat them we will need another miracle to beat GSW. I am not counting on two miracles in the same year.

I hope they learn something for next year. Oh well...I will root as always for The Jazz, but man...

And by the way, to make things worse, I can see GSW x OKC in the Western Conference Finals. How worse can it get? :banghead: :banghead:

FTFY. But seriously, what lessons are they supposed to learn? To shoot? To play defense? Life lessons? Make sure Quin has an 8 Ball ready before every game? Hold a gun to Lindsey's head to have him make a deal that almost everyone thought was too high a price at the time? Hope the Millers go on a drinking spree and move the team to Vegas so we can get better, though still long shot at a premium FA?

Stuff happens, get used to it. Teams don't win every game and no one can tell the future.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.

Return to Utah Jazz