Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: Summing Up The Regular Season 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 am

dr0welf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:We aren't getting past the Warriors, no mater how much momentum we have.

I think we match up well against GSW actually compared to most the league. I'd give us a 25% chance if we can stay healthy through the Houston series, and win the Houston series.

It's not a matchup issue as much as it's a talent issue.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#22 » by dr0welf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
dr0welf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:We aren't getting past the Warriors, no mater how much momentum we have.

I think we match up well against GSW actually compared to most the league. I'd give us a 25% chance if we can stay healthy through the Houston series, and win the Houston series.

It's not a matchup issue as much as it's a talent issue.

I politely disagree with you. They have 3 players that are above anything we have but I think they are on the decline. We have solid players that are still growing and developing. I don't think Green is even near where he used to be and Cousins is coming around but still working to fit in. And I like our bench more. They are not the juggernaut they have been. They are beatable this year where previous years I thought their was no way anyone could hang with them.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 am

dr0welf wrote:I politely disagree with you. They have 3 players that are above anything we have but I think they are on the decline. We have solid players that are still growing and developing. I don't think Green is even near where he used to be and Cousins is coming around but still working to fit in. And I like our bench more. They are not the juggernaut they have been. They are beatable this year where previous years I thought their was no way anyone could hang with them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Of course, that will require us to get past the Rockets first...

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#24 » by dr0welf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
dr0welf wrote:I politely disagree with you. They have 3 players that are above anything we have but I think they are on the decline. We have solid players that are still growing and developing. I don't think Green is even near where he used to be and Cousins is coming around but still working to fit in. And I like our bench more. They are not the juggernaut they have been. They are beatable this year where previous years I thought their was no way anyone could hang with them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Of course, that will require us to get past the Rockets first...

True, but I think the winner of our series will have a chance at taking down GSW. Not saying it will happen as it's still just a chance, but a better chance than has existed previously.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#25 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:39 pm

dr0welf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

True, but I think the winner of our series will have a chance at taking down GSW. Not saying it will happen as it's still just a chance, but a better chance than has existed previously.

The Rockets took the Warriors to 7 games last season, and only a horrendous game made them lost that series. They had a chance to beat the Warriors then and they have one now. As for the Jazz, I just don't see it.

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#26 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:39 am

Reading through this, I see some people with very unrealistic expectations when it comes to building a competitive NBA team.

I've seen a lot of praise for other GMs this year, while at the same time brutal criticism for DL. Yet, Utah seems to put out a better team than most of the guys being mentioned as superior GMs. I'd be willing to bet pretty much everyone had Danny Ainge in the running for EOY last year, and don't look now, but Utah just won more games and in the western conference.

I think the biggest problem is because of Utah's rough start, some people were just determined to believe the worst and then fought against changing their minds once the schedule evened out.

To me, anybody with a doom and gloom outlook just isn't allowing themselves to look at the season objectively. I realize we all had hopes for the team to take the next step, but people underestimate just how difficult that is. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Philly have all made some big moves that people here complain about not happening in Utah, and there are some serious chemistry problems and lack of depth, despite the addition of big names. All things considered, Utah is lucky to be in a position where taking the next step is even possible, because it's extremely difficult to even get to where we are now. Hell, look at minnasota, who traded for a big name and was a 3rd seed in the west last year, only to have the whole thing fall apart and are back to missing the playoffs every year.

Seems to me there are a lot more examples of teams making the kind of moves Jazz fans are always whining about, only to watch those moves backfire. Dennis Lindsey has done a great job, and whatever happens in the playoffs, Utah is in a much better position that a lot of teams making the so-called big moves.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Minnesota was the 8th seed last season, but a good post otherwise, even if I don't completely agree.

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#28 » by KqWIN » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:13 pm

The concern for me is that DL/Ownership is very comfortable and satisfied with the position they're in (which is a good one) and are aren't focused on winning a championship or improvement. I don't really care about where other teams are, I care about where we are and if we're getting better or not. We're about to have the third straight season of the same results, and that's the best case scenario.

If building playoff teams is all you want, DL has done a tremendous job of assembling a team in a way that can maintain that success for years. No arguments there.

As we're complaining about the FO btw...they put together a team that should have been the 2nd seed in the west. The players just didn't come out the gates ready to win. The schedule was tough, but they didn't win as many games as they should have.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#29 » by FJS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 pm

We lost 32 games, and lost 11 games vs non playoffs teams. 7 of them in october-november.
you simply won 4 of those 11 games, and suddenly we are 2nd team in the west.

This is how important is to begin ready to win. Think about it. We lost 7 games vs loterry teams (Grizzlies x2, Kings, Mavs, Lakers and Heat) 3 at home.

The worst of all, they were winnable.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#30 » by dr0welf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:08 pm

I think the point is that we have a lot to look forward to. You will need a few tweaks in the roster to find out what works and gets you to the promised land. We are closer then you guys seem to feel though. Aquiring Korver this year at the cost of Burks was a good move. It sounds like they almost made a bigger move in going after Conley until it was leaked.

We need some help in the PG position as we can't go 10+ games without any of our 3 PG's playing. I would love to get Beverly into the group as the backup PG. Also, getting another shot creater would be beneficial as long as they play solid defense, otherwise Quin won't let them play.

This season, Mitchell spending the offseason not being able to practice had him behind coming out the gate. He caught up about the All star game to where I thought he would have started the year like. Rocky start for the team and strong finish. I would imagine more tweaks coming, but I do think we are closer then most on here feel we are.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#31 » by JazzUte88 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:14 am

Quite honestly I am tired of this team getting smoked by Houston constantly. I knew this going into the series and turned off the game after the 1st quarter after watching the previous 5 games.

This team has turned into a Western Conference version of what the Atlanta Hawks were it seems, very solid basketball team, but no ceiling other than a 1st round or 2nd round exit with a small chance of losing in the WCF. That's cool to be a playoff team, but it's very frustrating.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#32 » by Tom349 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 am

FJS wrote:We lost 32 games, and lost 11 games vs non playoffs teams. 7 of them in october-november.

This is how important is to begin ready to win. Think about it. We lost 7 games vs loterry teams (Grizzlies x2, Kings, Mavs, Lakers and Heat) 3 at home.

Revisionism at its finest. Sure all those games were winnable just like most games but its not as simple as saying they should have beaten these teams who at the beginning of the season were completely different teams to what they were in the back end of the season.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#33 » by Tom349 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:Reading through this, I see some people with very unrealistic expectations when it comes to building a competitive NBA team.

I've seen a lot of praise for other GMs this year, while at the same time brutal criticism for DL. Yet, Utah seems to put out a better team than most of the guys being mentioned as superior GMs. I'd be willing to bet pretty much everyone had Danny Ainge in the running for EOY last year, and don't look now, but Utah just won more games and in the western conference.

I think the biggest problem is because of Utah's rough start, some people were just determined to believe the worst and then fought against changing their minds once the schedule evened out.

To me, anybody with a doom and gloom outlook just isn't allowing themselves to look at the season objectively. I realize we all had hopes for the team to take the next step, but people underestimate just how difficult that is. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Philly have all made some big moves that people here complain about not happening in Utah, and there are some serious chemistry problems and lack of depth, despite the addition of big names. All things considered, Utah is lucky to be in a position where taking the next step is even possible, because it's extremely difficult to even get to where we are now. Hell, look at minnasota, who traded for a big name and was a 3rd seed in the west last year, only to have the whole thing fall apart and are back to missing the playoffs every year.

Seems to me there are a lot more examples of teams making the kind of moves Jazz fans are always whining about, only to watch those moves backfire. Dennis Lindsey has done a great job, and whatever happens in the playoffs, Utah is in a much better position that a lot of teams making the so-called big moves.

This. Don't get me wrong I want to see DL make a move and as soon as possible but it isn't worth making a move now just for the sake of improving slightly but not enough to take the next step. We've already seen him try and make a move for Conley but deemed the price to the too much which is perfectly fine as whilst DM is on his rookie contract we can afford to patient. Either get someone in on the right price or wait until the perfect player becomes available and then take the risk.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#34 » by FJS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am

Tom349 wrote:
FJS wrote:We lost 32 games, and lost 11 games vs non playoffs teams. 7 of them in october-november.

Revisionism at its finest. Sure all those games were winnable just like most games but its not as simple as saying they should have beaten these teams who at the beginning of the season were completely different teams to what they were in the back end of the season.

I know it is revisionism. But If we were a little bit focused, we would have won a few of those games. Grizzlies, Kings and Mavs began pretty well, still, we won 2X vs Mavs and Kings those days, beating Sac 2 times in their arena and losing in ours, and Grizzlies games were at home, we beat them at their arena in the beginning of the season.

Return to Utah Jazz