Dealing with Cleveland

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Dealing with Cleveland 

Post#1 » by MeestR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I know this is a bit off topic for this time of year. But I was listening to Spence Checketts' podcast, Reality Check, and he referenced a transaction Jazz had with Cleveland that fell apart due to Dan Gilbert leaking info to the press - I think it was the Falk or Van Gundy episode? Apparently it upset Jazz management enough for them to pull out of the deal and not want to deal with them again.

I am curious what deal this was? Burks/Korver was 2018; Hood/Johnson/Crowder was 2017. So obviously feelings have been mended since then. What other transactions have we had with them? Or What was leaked that we may have done? and When was it?
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Dealing with Cleveland 

Post#2 » by stitches » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:54 pm

MeestR wrote:I know this is a bit off topic for this time of year. But I was listening to Spence Checketts' podcast, Reality Check, and he referenced a transaction Jazz had with Cleveland that fell apart due to Dan Gilbert leaking info to the press - I think it was the Falk or Van Gundy episode? Apparently it upset Jazz management enough for them to pull out of the deal and not want to deal with them again.

I am curious what deal this was? Burks/Korver was 2018; Hood/Johnson/Crowder was 2017. So obviously feelings have been mended since then. What other transactions have we had with them? Or What was leaked that we may have done? and When was it?

There was a Kyrie to Utah rumor in the week between the draft and the start of the Haywood FA... Also there have been on and off rumors about the Jazz being an option for Kevin Love.
MeestR
Analyst

Post#3 » by MeestR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:06 pm

I can't imagine Jazz Front Office sacrificing a deal for either of those All-Star players because of leaks.

I wish I could remember exactly what Checketts said, but it sounded like the deal was imminent before it leaked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Yeah, I don't know what he was talking about. But Cleveland has been one of the teams we've been dealing with a lot especially after David Griffin was ousted from their GM spot(the Crowder and Korver trades...)

It's interesting that DL seems to really despise those tactics. He said in an interview about the Conley negotiations that he didn't like how Memphis conducted themselves with their leaks at the last trade deadline.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#5 » by Winglish » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Kevin O'Connor used to do the same thing.

Jazz management is so old guard in their approach to trades. I would be SERIOUSLY DISAPPOINTED if the Jazz backed out of a trade to improve the team just because it got leaked. The idea infuriates me as a person paying his hard earned money to sit in the arena and buy food and gear during every game for the past decade.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 pm

I want to say DL himself mentioned this situation, but did not name the team. You could infer from the details that he was likely talking about CLE. This confirms it. I’ll try to do a twitter search to find it.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#7 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:41 pm

He mentions it at 16 minutes in on Woj’s podcast. Sorry for no link, I’m working.
MeestR
Analyst

Post#8 » by MeestR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm

KqWIN wrote:He mentions it at 16 minutes in on Woj’s podcast. Sorry for no link, I’m working.

oh nice. Thanks for that. I thought it was Spence who mentioned it, but Im glad you found it on Woj's. I'll take a listen again.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#9 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 pm

If a leaked trade causes the deal to fall apart for whatever reason that affects the deal itself (like causing an increase in the asking price), that's one thing. But to back out of a deal just on the principle of the thing, because it leaked, makes very little sense. The trade becomes known anyway once it's completed, so just because you see some details about it in the press--where everyone knows to take such details with a grain of salt anyway--shouldn't cause the cancellation of the talks. Imagine pulling out of a trade involving Irving just because some details have leaked--I'd be furious if that happened.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#10 » by KDBG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:29 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Imagine pulling out of a trade involving Irving just because some details have leaked--I'd be furious if that happened.

Fairly certain KOC basically bragged about pulling out of trades if they leaked, based on principal alone. KOC's latter years annoyed me so damn bad, for various reasons.

Return to Utah Jazz