Game 2: Utah Jazz (0-1) @ Houston Rockets (1-0)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Re: Game 2: Utah Jazz (0-1) @ Houston Rockets (1-0) 

Post#141 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 am

One thing really noticable is the Houston players shoot with confidence and our team doesn't. We are scared to miss and they shoot planning to make.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#142 » by Rauxcee » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:57 am

Hey, we only lost by 20! Improvement! At this rate we should be able to only lose by single digits in game 4.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#143 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:58 am

Ricky and Royce our top scorers... props to them
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#144 » by dr0welf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:00 am

We tied after the 1st quarter.... Great way to start the game with continuation of that dumb defense. Shame on Q
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#145 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:00 am

KqWIN wrote:AB could be on the bench in China, and we'd still be talking about how great he is.
Alec was great last year against the rockets and the perfect guy for us in this series. He is badly missed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#146 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 am

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:AB could be on the bench in China, and we'd still be talking about how great he is.
Alec was great last year against the rockets and the perfect guy for us in this series. He is badly missed.

Great, there's no reason to discredit Korver or ignore the fact that AB was a bench warmer once he was moved from a tanking team...which he also wasn't great on. Needing AB is a tell on our desperation for shot creation.

We can have this conversation a million times. You think AB is great, I think AB is reflective of his career. Let's just leave it that.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#147 » by sipclip » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:10 am

KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:

Great, there's no reason to discredit Korver or ignore the fact that AB was a bench warmer once he was moved from a tanking team...which he also wasn't great on. Needing AB is a tell on our desperation for shot creation.

We can have this conversation a million times. You think AB is great, I think AB is reflective of his career. Let's just leave it that.
He was playing the best ball of his career and then was traded to a team with 2 very good sg's in Hield and Bogdonovich in front of him.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#148 » by stitches » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 am

What's the point of having the best defense in the league if when the prime time comes you scratch it off and try some gimmicky BS that you've seen on TV? This is horrible. I am starting to fear that worse than that Quin is going to lose the team. Like others have pointed out - if everyone outside the team is making fun of that "defensive strategy" what's the chance there aren't similar sentiments within the team?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#149 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 am

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:Alec was great last year against the rockets and the perfect guy for us in this series. He is badly missed.

He was playing the best ball of his career and then was traded to a team with 2 very good sg's in Hield and Bogdonovich in front of him.

If you believe that's the best ball of career, that's kinda the point. He also got benched in favor of Corey Brewer. Alec's production and numbers speak for themselves. No point of arguing about it when you it's there for everyone to see.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#150 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:16 am

stitches wrote:What's the point of having the best defense in the league if when the prime time comes you scratch it off and try some gimmicky BS that you've seen on TV? This is horrible. I am starting to fear that worse than that Quin is going to lose the team. Like others have pointed out - if everyone outside the team is making fun of that "defensive strategy" what's the chance there aren't similar sentiments within the team?

Even if Quin has the team 100% committed, they are trash at it. It's almost worse that way.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#151 » by Rauxcee » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:20 am

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:Alec was great last year against the rockets and the perfect guy for us in this series. He is badly missed.

He's a third string player, borderline 2nd string on a bad team. Even if that was the best ball of his career, third string players don't provide long term impact or success. They have hot streaks, which AB did, and hot streaks impact the team in that moment because no-one is expecting it,because they are end of bench guys. But hot streaks don't make a good player. I'll have to agree to disagree with you because AB just isn't that good.
stitches
RealGM

Post#152 » by stitches » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:23 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:What's the point of having the best defense in the league if when the prime time comes you scratch it off and try some gimmicky BS that you've seen on TV? This is horrible. I am starting to fear that worse than that Quin is going to lose the team. Like others have pointed out - if everyone outside the team is making fun of that "defensive strategy" what's the chance there aren't similar sentiments within the team?

Even if Quin has the team 100% committed, they are trash at it. It's almost worse that way.

I think Quin is suffering from severe case of overthinking it in this case. We threw away what makes us good with the hopes of slowing down the best offensive player in the league to 30/10/10 type of games. I wasn't ready to call it a blunder in last game, but I'm very much ready to do it now. This was just straight up horrible decision.

And BTW this doesn't make our offensive talent any better ... there are still major things that need to be addressed there in the off-season.

In a weird way this might be for the better, rather than having a somewhat competitive 4-2 loss that masks our severe weaknesses and lets the FO continue with the "friendship is everything" route. I mean, what did we expect? We've been getting rid off offensive talent every trade window last 2 seasons. Smoke and mirrors can only do this much. It's ridiculous how exposed we are when the other team just decides to switch everything.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#153 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:28 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I think Quin is suffering from severe case of overthinking it in this case. We threw away what makes us good with the hopes of slowing down the best offensive player in the league to 30/10/10 type of games. I wasn't ready to call it a blunder in last game, but I'm very much ready to do it now. This was just straight up horrible decision.

And BTW this doesn't make our offensive talent any better ... there are still major things that need to be addressed there in the off-season.

In a weird way this might be for the better, rather than having a somewhat competitive 4-2 loss that masks our severe weaknesses and lets the FO continue with the "friendship is everything" route. I mean, what did we expect? We've been getting rid off offensive talent every trade window last 2 seasons. Smoke and mirrors can only do this much. It's ridiculous how exposed we are when the other team just decides to switch everything.

Check out the other side of the bracket, outside of some Dame magic...that is not high quality basketball being played. If were 6th and instead of 5th, I think we'd be cruising to a WCF bid where we'd then get a reality check.

I would have enjoyed the WCF final run, but this is better than another second round exit. We can't hide the flaws of this team and we're actually seeing how big the gap is between where we are and a championship team is.
stitches
RealGM

Post#154 » by stitches » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:31 am

KqWIN wrote:
Check out the other side of the bracket, outside of some Dame magic...that is not high quality basketball being played. If were 6th and instead of 5th, I think we'd be cruising to a WCF bid where we'd then get a reality check.

I would have enjoyed the WCF final run, but this is better than another second round exit. We can't hide the flaws of this team and we're actually seeing how big the gap is between where we are and a championship team is.

The way Dame is playing, IMO we cannot win a series against them. Although.. we might be able to score better against them... and Quin likely doesn't make the same mistake against them either... I don't know.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#155 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:35 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

The way Dame is playing, IMO we cannot win a series against them. Although.. we might be able to score better against them... and Quin likely doesn't make the same mistake against them either... I don't know.

Not if we shoot this way...but OKC could very easily be up 2-0 if they weren't horrific from 3.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#156 » by KDBG » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 am

The story of the series. That's a great way to suck confidence out of your team, to have them play a gimmicky defense, equivalent to cherry picking in an elementary league, when you have a dominant defense. People severely underrate swagger in sports. If Quin would have had the team man up, and play defense like they play against everyone else, this series would look a lot better. Quin basically told the team that their defense wasn't good enough on their own to guard one ****ing player. This is so damn shocking coming from such a smart coach.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#157 » by JazzUte88 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 am

Mitchell is getting exposed as a #2 guy on a team right now. This team is a treadmill team if I've ever seen one.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#158 » by tleikheen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 am

If you look on the OKC boards ,their bitch is all these athletic wings with long arms that can't shoot ….and I'm thinking Jazz are opposite all with all theses non athletic wings that can't shoot
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#159 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 am

Ricky insinuating that not everyone is buying in / calling people out.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#160 » by KqWIN » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 am

It was pretty easy to figure out that Gobert was calling out Hill way back when. From the effort, Donovan is prime suspect #1.

Return to Utah Jazz