2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, Inigo Montoya, FJS

KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 12,656
And1: 4,124
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#621 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm

This makes sense. Probably agree upon before the draft.

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 12,656
And1: 4,124
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#622 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I'm watching Bog games on league pass to get a better feel for where he is as a player. Just watched one against Milwaukee, main points thus far (we will see if they stick after watching more:
1) He scores quite a bit off of very few opportunities (compared to other players), he is great at moving the ball and exploits advantages the offense is designed to give
2) defensively his foot speed isn't ideal, and players do turn the corner on him, but he is good at making sure that when they do they are being funneled into another defender
3) highly competitive, he fights on every play and he's always scanning the floor

He was matched up with Middleton most of the night, occasionally switched onto Brogdon or Ilyasova (was mostly off the floor when Snell was on). Looked more impactful offensively than Middleton, but took less possessions. Middleton is a better two-way player, but I think Bogs acquits himself pretty well in that matchup. Brogdon blew by him a few times, but he did a good job making sure he wasn't getting a free run at the rim.


This is the main thing I noticed from watching him. It almost doesn't make sense how he can score so much while attacking so little. The baskets just come to him in the flow of the offense...but before you know it he has 20 points.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 15,588
And1: 4,060
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#623 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 pm

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'm watching Bog games on league pass to get a better feel for where he is as a player. Just watched one against Milwaukee, main points thus far (we will see if they stick after watching more:
1) He scores quite a bit off of very few opportunities (compared to other players), he is great at moving the ball and exploits advantages the offense is designed to give
2) defensively his foot speed isn't ideal, and players do turn the corner on him, but he is good at making sure that when they do they are being funneled into another defender
3) highly competitive, he fights on every play and he's always scanning the floor

He was matched up with Middleton most of the night, occasionally switched onto Brogdon or Ilyasova (was mostly off the floor when Snell was on). Looked more impactful offensively than Middleton, but took less possessions. Middleton is a better two-way player, but I think Bogs acquits himself pretty well in that matchup. Brogdon blew by him a few times, but he did a good job making sure he wasn't getting a free run at the rim.


This is the main thing I noticed from watching him. It almost doesn't make sense how he can score so much while attacking so little. The baskets just come to him in the flow of the offense...but before you know it he has 20 points.


He's an absolute machine. The more I watch him, the more I love this signing. He's one of the best complimentary players in the game, and perfect next to Mitchell. He's also a pretty great passer despite his low assist numbers.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#624 » by stitches » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#625 » by stitches » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:01 pm

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/

Jazz come in at no.5 in the west... with projected 49 wins. Also HOU is no.1 at 58.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 12,656
And1: 4,124
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#626 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm

stitches wrote:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/

Jazz come in at no.5 in the west... with projected 49 wins. Also HOU is no.1 at 58.


The west is going to be so damn close this year...
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 12,656
And1: 4,124
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#627 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 am

Thabo's wife did not like living in Utah. Can't blame here. As much as Utahns want to say otherwise, this is totally a thing.

In particular, his wife had suffered in the conservative state, in which rigid moral concepts are widespread, and could not develop. "During her career she has always put her own interests and needs behind her and made great sacrifices," says Sefolosha. Now she has spoken out against another engagement in Salt Lake City. Compared to the past few years, when Sefolosha had to make similar decisions about his sporting future, he now involves the family much more in the planning.


https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comments/cekcx4/thabo_sefaloshas_wife_specifically_requested_he/
Daddy 801
Head Coach
Posts: 7,343
And1: 2,288
Joined: May 14, 2013
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#628 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:10 am

She could be a big pot head and wants to be able to smoke without peeps thinking she is satanic. I mean Thabo did get busted smoking. It could be that simple. This story is a non story.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#629 » by stitches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:42 am

KqWIN wrote:Thabo's wife did not like living in Utah. Can't blame here. As much as Utahns want to say otherwise, this is totally a thing.

In particular, his wife had suffered in the conservative state, in which rigid moral concepts are widespread, and could not develop. "During her career she has always put her own interests and needs behind her and made great sacrifices," says Sefolosha. Now she has spoken out against another engagement in Salt Lake City. Compared to the past few years, when Sefolosha had to make similar decisions about his sporting future, he now involves the family much more in the planning.


https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comments/cekcx4/thabo_sefaloshas_wife_specifically_requested_he/

never been to Utah or SLC... I thought the big cities even in conservative states are pretty liberal... or am i totally mistaken?
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 12,656
And1: 4,124
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#630 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:59 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Thabo's wife did not like living in Utah. Can't blame here. As much as Utahns want to say otherwise, this is totally a thing.

In particular, his wife had suffered in the conservative state, in which rigid moral concepts are widespread, and could not develop. "During her career she has always put her own interests and needs behind her and made great sacrifices," says Sefolosha. Now she has spoken out against another engagement in Salt Lake City. Compared to the past few years, when Sefolosha had to make similar decisions about his sporting future, he now involves the family much more in the planning.


https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comments/cekcx4/thabo_sefaloshas_wife_specifically_requested_he/

never been to Utah or SLC... I thought the big cities even in conservative states are pretty liberal... or am i totally mistaken?


Salt Lake City itself is pretty liberal...at least that's what everyone says. I haven't lived other places. Utah is unique in its own way in that the LDS church is very involved in the state's politics and their "rigid moral concepts" still have a strong place in the culture.

I'll try to avoid getting into a political discussion here, but it really doesn't surprise me that people with different beliefs, especially POC, wouldn't enjoy living here...and it's not because they might be "pot heads". Utah has a long way to go in my opinion.
Daddy 801
Head Coach
Posts: 7,343
And1: 2,288
Joined: May 14, 2013
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#631 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Thabo's wife did not like living in Utah. Can't blame here. As much as Utahns want to say otherwise, this is totally a thing.



https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comments/cekcx4/thabo_sefaloshas_wife_specifically_requested_he/

never been to Utah or SLC... I thought the big cities even in conservative states are pretty liberal... or am i totally mistaken?


Salt Lake City itself is pretty liberal...at least that's what everyone says. I haven't lived other places. Utah is unique in its own way in that the LDS church is very involved in the state's politics and their "rigid moral concepts" still have a strong place in the culture.

I'll try to avoid getting into a political discussion here, but it really doesn't surprise me that people with different beliefs, especially POC, wouldn't enjoy living here...and it's not because they might be "pot heads". Utah has a long way to go in my opinion.


It was one possible reason and just an off the cuff remark made because Thabo got caught smoking last year. She/they could of also had a terrible conservative neighbor who treated them horribly. Maybe they hated the school districts? I dunno. I just think it’s a non story. It could be a million different reasons.

Regarding Utah Stitches....

I live out of three different homes in Utah. One in SLC, one in Utah County (most conservative place), and one in a rural town. Salt Lake is veryyy liberal. If they lived in SLC county while they were here (99%.9) chance of that, then I doubt they had a bad experience with some nutty conservative person. If anything they may have felt alienated in other ways.

The church does have a ton of power over politics here, but there is very little actual impact on every day life. They have stupid beer/liquor laws here, but there are many other states with stupid liquor laws. Other than that I don’t feel “oppressed” by the church. There a non factor as far as I’m concerned. Especially in SLC. In Utah County the culture is more influenced by the church.

It might be weird being black in Utah. Just the fact that there is such a overwhelmingly white majority means people look/gawk/stare at black people. I don’t think it’s in a racist way. But I’m sure it’s awkward and annoying at times for POC. This is much less so in SLC as there is a larger minority of black people. In the rural town I spend time in, there are basically no black people. There would be staring. Funny story to illustrate the non judge mental ignorance in Utah....I took my girlfriends son to a farmers market in SLC years ago. He was maybe 3 or 4. There was a rather large tall black man. He looks at me and says...is that a Jazz player? That’s the type of ignorance I have seen personally. Nothing racist, just totally clueless and living in a bubble.

What might be very hard is if you happened to be a black conservative living in SLC. People would just expect you to be liberal and treat you as such.

Utah is also the most clicky place I’ve lived. Conservatives hang with conservatives. And liberals hang with liberals. Both sides live in a bubble. That can be alienating. Thabo’s family may have just never found good people to integrate with. Maybe they have a particular religion that has almost no members here?


All this to say....who the hell knows. And I think it’s a non story. Maybe she likes southern cooking and we don’t have any good southern cooking. Without her explaining why, it’s all subjective.

I need to get off realgm for a while again. I’m speculating on why a lady I’ve never meet left Utah when all I really care about is how we’re going to integrate Bojan in the high pick and roll, if Donny can become more efficient, and whether or not Gobert can make it a three peat for DPOY.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 15,588
And1: 4,060
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#632 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:52 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:never been to Utah or SLC... I thought the big cities even in conservative states are pretty liberal... or am i totally mistaken?


Salt Lake City itself is pretty liberal...at least that's what everyone says. I haven't lived other places. Utah is unique in its own way in that the LDS church is very involved in the state's politics and their "rigid moral concepts" still have a strong place in the culture.

I'll try to avoid getting into a political discussion here, but it really doesn't surprise me that people with different beliefs, especially POC, wouldn't enjoy living here...and it's not because they might be "pot heads". Utah has a long way to go in my opinion.


It was one possible reason and just an off the cuff remark made because Thabo got caught smoking last year. She/they could of also had a terrible conservative neighbor who treated them horribly. Maybe they hated the school districts? I dunno. I just think it’s a non story. It could be a million different reasons.

Regarding Utah Stitches....

I live out of three different homes in Utah. One in SLC, one in Utah County (most conservative place), and one in a rural town. Salt Lake is veryyy liberal. If they lived in SLC county while they were here (99%.9) chance of that, then I doubt they had a bad experience with some nutty conservative person. If anything they may have felt alienated in other ways.

The church does have a ton of power over politics here, but there is very little actual impact on every day life. They have stupid beer/liquor laws here, but there are many other states with stupid liquor laws. Other than that I don’t feel “oppressed” by the church. There a non factor as far as I’m concerned. Especially in SLC. In Utah County the culture is more influenced by the church.

It might be weird being black in Utah. Just the fact that there is such a overwhelmingly white majority means people look/gawk/stare at black people. I don’t think it’s in a racist way. But I’m sure it’s awkward and annoying at times for POC. This is much less so in SLC as there is a larger minority of black people. In the rural town I spend time in, there are basically no black people. There would be staring. Funny story to illustrate the non judge mental ignorance in Utah....I took my girlfriends son to a farmers market in SLC years ago. He was maybe 3 or 4. There was a rather large tall black man. He looks at me and says...is that a Jazz player? That’s the type of ignorance I have seen personally. Nothing racist, just totally clueless and living in a bubble.

What might be very hard is if you happened to be a black conservative living in SLC. People would just expect you to be liberal and treat you as such.

Utah is also the most clicky place I’ve lived. Conservatives hang with conservatives. And liberals hang with liberals. Both sides live in a bubble. That can be alienating. Thabo’s family may have just never found good people to integrate with. Maybe they have a particular religion that has almost no members here?


All this to say....who the hell knows. And I think it’s a non story. Maybe she likes southern cooking and we don’t have any good southern cooking. Without her explaining why, it’s all subjective.

I need to get off realgm for a while again. I’m speculating on why a lady I’ve never meet left Utah when all I really care about is how we’re going to integrate Bojan in the high pick and roll, if Donny can become more efficient, and whether or not Gobert can make it a three peat for DPOY.


As a gay person I'll say that the church has a tremendous (and negative) impact on day to day life in the state. Can't speak for Thabo or his wife, but I could easily imagine someone feeling alienated because of the broader culture in the state. But I digress, he's a role player and we got better despite losing him.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#633 » by stitches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks for the input everybody. I guess indeed it depends on who you ask and people's personal experiences vary depending on their interests, views and identity. Stories like this just emphasize how hard it will continue to be to attract top end FAs in a league that's largely liberal and largely comprised of people of color.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#634 » by stitches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:53 am

Seems like we missed this news:
Read on Twitter


So that makes 16 players under contract. According to Tony Jones neither of those last 2 are fully guaranteed:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter


Seems like NWG's contract is what's holding off the Green, Mudiay, Davis contracts:
Read on Twitter


Also, here's another camp invite/exhibit 10 contract for the Jazz:
Read on Twitter


So... if I'm not mistaken this makes for 19 players for camp secured. We need one more. Are 2-ways included in that 20? Or in addition to the 20? I'm not sure.
User avatar
Crunch 99
Analyst
Posts: 3,286
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#635 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm

I would have liked to re-signed Thabo, but considering he only played 88 games over two seasons and wilted in the playoffs, shooting 2 for 14 and 1 for 8 on threes, maybe we aren't missing much. Still, I was glad to have him here for two seasons.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#636 » by stitches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:57 pm



It's like I'm watching Royce highlights. They play very similarly and they both have very good size. Lets see if he can stick in the league in a similar way, because Royce will be expensive next year...
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 15,588
And1: 4,060
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#637 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 pm

I like Stanton Kidd, and liked him last year, too. I don't think he is going to be as good as Royce, more like a Dahntay Jones level player who can soak up spot minutes and also be a part of the rotation if you are lacking depth or have injuries.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#638 » by stitches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm

The thing with Kidd is that he has not yet been a consistent shooter and this was emphasized in his summer league too. His % fluctuate a ton. If we manage to give him easier open shots and develop his consistency a bit he might become a good rotational player.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,310
And1: 5,871
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#639 » by stitches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 12,656
And1: 4,124
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#640 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Definitely reminds me of Royce...bad Euroleague numbers but at least he was in the Euroleague.

Return to Utah Jazz