not even close
48%

Total votes: 27

eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Gob super max 

Post#1 » by eLo » Sun May 26, 2019 3:55 pm

simple question is he worth such money? He got 3 all nba , but also he third straight time fail in play offs( yes every one who plays worst in po than in rs fail). For me he should not get much more than he is getting right now, at least at this moment, maybe next season will change that. But lets be honest if we give 30+ contract to him we gonna stuck in meritocracy for long time, special in present ultra offensive nba.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Gob super max 

Post#2 » by stitches » Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 pm

"not even close" is kind of disrespectufl and not how I would put it, but I don't think he is worth the supermax. I'm saying this with the disclaimer that I don't think many players in the league deserve supermax. I would have hard time listing 7-8 players I would give supermax to.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun May 26, 2019 4:05 pm

I voted not even close, though I agree that phrasing it like that is a bit disrespectful.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#4 » by sipclip » Sun May 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Also voted not even close but as already stated it should be changed to just no.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#5 » by dr0welf » Mon May 27, 2019 2:12 am

He still has time to develop as a player. If he develops an offensive game that can become dependant upon then their is no doubt he would be a super max player. But without he is a max but not a super max. Same with anyone that is a star offensively but plays no defense.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#6 » by eLo » Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 am

30 mln$ per season is huge pay check, a true star money, and its "not even close" to super max, and that what i mean
dr0welf wrote:He still has time to develop as a player. If he develops an offensive game that can become dependant upon then their is no doubt he would be a super max player. But without he is a max but not a super max. Same with anyone that is a star offensively but plays no defense.
say it to Harden :P
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#7 » by CAE15 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Jazz pay their max guy this season to pair with Rudy and Donovan. Then Rudy taking the super max or regular max on top of Donovan's max. There's no money left either way. Rudy's impact on the court is top 10 in this league. No issues paying him what he's worth. Ain't my money, plus on his next contract he would maybe be willing to take a home town discount. Though that said, if memory serves me right, he wanted more than Whiteside because he knew he was better. And it was only slightly more like a couple million. So maybe Embiid is a bench mark for him? Who knows

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#8 » by Luigi » Mon May 27, 2019 5:40 pm

CAE15 wrote:Jazz pay their max guy this season to pair with Rudy and Donovan. Then Rudy taking the super max or regular max on top of Donovan's max. There's no money left either way. Rudy's impact on the court is top 10 in this league. No issues paying him what he's worth. Ain't my money, plus on his next contract he would maybe be willing to take a home town discount. Though that said, if memory serves me right, he wanted more than Whiteside because he knew he was better. And it was only slightly more like a couple million. So maybe Embiid is a bench mark for him? Who knows

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

Who's the new max guy this season gonna be?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#9 » by dr0welf » Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 pm

eLo wrote:30 mln$ per season is huge pay check, a true star money, and its "not even close" to super max, and that what i mean
dr0welf wrote:He still has time to develop as a player. If he develops an offensive game that can become dependant upon then their is no doubt he would be a super max player. But without he is a max but not a super max. Same with anyone that is a star offensively but plays no defense.
say it to Harden :P

Actually Harden played better defense against us then I remember him ever playing. Not that it was great and sometimes nonexistent. But sometimes you actually saw some serious effort. He is definitely a Max player, but I wouldn't super max until he gave more effort on the defensive side. But I don't think the SuperMax should be over used, IMHO their is less then 10-15 players in the league that deserve a supermax. KD, Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi, Embiid, Dame, AD, PG, arguably Harden, Westbrook, Curry

I might have missed a couple but overall the field is small, now their are about double this number that could be considered Max level players which I put Gobert in right now, but most of these players have to balance their game out a lot more. CP3 would have been a SuperMax player a few years ago. Guys like Jokic are great offensive players and Gobert is a great defensive player, but before I layed down 1/3 to 1/2 my cap on one of these players they better be able to carry me on both sides of the court. That's what makes them special. They anchor both sides of the ball.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,071

Post#10 » by Rauxcee » Mon May 27, 2019 11:09 pm

Ignoring the requirements of the supermax, the only players worth the supermax are LeBron, Curry, KD, and Giannis. Leonard would be on the list if I believed he could stay healthy and play more than 60 games a season, but he can't. Harden is also a question to me if he's worth it.

So 4 guys IMO are worthy of it.

Not Wall, not Lillard, not CP3, not Westbrook, not Walker, not Gobert. (Not even sure if some of those guys have the supermax or just a ridiculous contract)

The question is, do you pay it. Gobert is our best player by a mile. He's a top 10-15 player in the league. I genuinely believe without him we are a bottom 10 lottery team. We win because of him. If we don't want to pay him, another team won't either. Do you say goodbye and start over, effectively wasting Mitchell's prime and then watching him leave because the team did a mini rebuild during his prime?

I know there are some people that would say let's trade him. But nobody ever actually has a good trade scenario for it. Just a vague let's trade him and I'm sure we'll get a player of equal value in return and it will be all sunshine and roses! You rarely get fair value when trading top 15 players. Rarely.

Jazz will be caught between a rock and a hard place. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The only hope is that a miracle happens and Gobert declines it. Otherwise they are screwed no matter what they decide.

While he's not worth it, I'd probably rather they just pay it, lock us into treadmill team cap hell, than watch our best player and top 15 player leave for nothing. Because he will leave for nothing. Jazz won't trade him unless he requests it, nor should they.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#11 » by dr0welf » Tue May 28, 2019 1:15 am

Gobert is a competitor, as a competitor you want to win. Making it so your team does not have the assets to pull in star players or keep star players is not a competitor imho. I don't think Gobert takes the supermax and I don't think the Jazz FO offer it. But if for some reason Gobert magically figures out how to take Jokic's offensive skills he will get max money and won't need as many stars around to win.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#12 » by reapaman » Tue May 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Nope not even close. He can have anywhere from a top 15 to a top 150 player impact depending on how fluid and spread out the other team's offense is and if they decide to pack the paint when he rolls to the rim. You can always find a center that can do some things at a decent enough level for far cheaper.

He needs to be traded. We don't need fair value, just get rid of him for a package that give us cap space and hopefully a young player(s)/draft pick(s). If anything we should trade him now because we seen this movie over and over again with the Jazz. The FO will be indecisive and play chicken with him on the contract and he will say screw them and leave for nothing.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#13 » by zero24gravity » Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm

reapaman wrote:Nope not even close. He can have anywhere from a top 15 to a top 150 player impact depending on how fluid and spread out the other team's offense is and if they decide to pack the paint when he rolls to the rim. You can always find a center that can do some things at a decent enough level for far cheaper.

He needs to be traded. We don't need fair value, just get rid of him for a package that give us cap space and hopefully a young player(s)/draft pick(s). If anything we should trade him now because we seen this movie over and over again with the Jazz. The FO will be indecisive and play chicken with him on the contract and he will say screw them and leave for nothing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions

Still, this could be one of the most out-there comments I have ever read on this board.

Wow, just wow.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#14 » by erudite23 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:18 pm

He's easily worth that money from a market perspective. The only players who are clearly more valuable than him are the best offensive players in the game who can create shots at both a high rate and quantity (Harden, LBJ, Steph, GIannis, AD, KD, maybe Dame, maybe Jokic). He's easily a top 10 player in the NBA right now imo.

But I think the Jazz would be insane to give him that type of money. The market would value him that way, I think, but his real contributions won't keep pace. I think there's only 5 or 6 players in the league at any time who are really worth that, and Rudy's not one of them.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#15 » by Catchall » Thu May 30, 2019 11:47 pm

I think they should offer him a full 5-year max, and maybe a little more, if they believe in his abilities for the duration of that contract. They could also put incentives into the contract that boosts its potential value above the max. I wouldn't supermax him, as that would cripple the franchise at the same time they'll be maxing Donovan Mitchell. If these guys want a third major player to help them make deep playoff runs, they have to be willing to take a bit less, just like the Lebron/Wade/Bosh trio did in Miami.

The Jazz have said they're willing to go into the luxury tax to be competitive, but I doubt they want to pay the repeater tax more than one season.

I wouldn't supermax anyone unless they're a top-5 MVP candidate, and even that's risky if you look at Russel Westbrook as an example. I see Gobert as a top 10-12 or so player. He's not in that upper-most tier.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#16 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:37 pm

One of the reasons I am interested in keeping Favors is to have an insurance policy to avoid the Gobert Supermax. Trying to fill out the team around Conley's non Supermax, max contract this season is a stark reminder of how darn difficult it is to fill out the rest of the roster when you have a high priced contract or two. If Gobert takes his game to another level this season and we go deep in the playoffs, if we could trade Gobert for 80% plus of the haul that New Orleans got for AD, or trade Gobert for a young star plus filler pieces, and then make Favors our starting Center at less than half the money Gobert commands, I would be inclined to do it.

I am a hater of the Supermax contract. I don't see a single player in the league right now that I would want to pay a Supermax contract to. Leonard, KD and Embiid have potential ongoing medical issues; LBJ is old; Harden doesn't play enough D, etcetera. Possibly Greek Freak could become worth one? But maybe Gobert won't demand the Supermax contract to stay here; I don't know.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#17 » by Luigi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:49 pm

I don't think people are answering this question straightforwardly. Is he worth it? Yes. Should we pay it? No.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#18 » by idajazz » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:00 pm

If the Jazz don't, someone else will.

Return to Utah Jazz