According to spain reporter ernest macia ricky rubio was told he won't be resigned per hoopshype.com

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Re: According to spain reporter ernest macia ricky rubio was told he won't be resigned per hoopshype.com 

Post#21 » by KDBG » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:41 am

I wanted Rubio on the Jazz for so damn long, he just had the worst timing for his arrival. Would have been a better fit with the Hayward era. Mitchell's emergence as a ball-dominant guard made Rubio's fit awkward as hell.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: According to spain reporter ernest macia ricky rubio was told he won't be resigned per hoopshype.com 

Post#22 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:09 pm

KDBG wrote:I wanted Rubio on the Jazz for so damn long, he just had the worst timing for his arrival. Would have been a better fit with the Hayward era. Mitchell's emergence as a ball-dominant guard made Rubio's fit awkward as hell.

Same issues would have happened with Hayward. Rubio's fit isn't awkward because Mitchell is ball dominant, it's because he's not effective without the ball, doesn't create advantages, and can't capitalize on advantages. Mitchell doesn't need to have to create as much as he does, but he's the only player on roster who can create his own shot. Everyone else is an open for a reason player or standstill shooter...or both.

DL/Zanik should keep this in mind when finding Mitchell a partner. He and the rest of the offense needs someone to take the pressure off and shift some of his ball handling possessions into spot ups, where he is elite.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#23 » by stitches » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:14 pm

Not sure how reliable this reporter is but... oh well:

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#24 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:24 pm

stitches wrote:Not sure how reliable this reporter is but... oh well:

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless something else was coming our way. Rubio and Crowder on their own had more value than Dragic IMO. Dragic's deal is a negative and I think that will become evident when he picks up his option. Dragic was also coming off of a two month injury. Even if you believe he's a better player than Rubio and Crowder combined, it's not exactly a win now move to pick up someone off of a significant injury.

If everything fails, I think we can get Dragic for free. We'd be doing Miami a favor.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#25 » by Luigi » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:46 pm

My guess is that the Dragic line was a backup threat to the Conley negotiations that didn't have much bite. Glad we didn't do it. But still, I think we probably strike out this summer. If Conley was really available, I think we probably missed our best chance to upgrade during the Mitchell rookie era.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#26 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:28 pm

Yeah it does seem more like a leverage play than a real trade that would have gone down. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Speaking of leverage plays, I'm not sure it's a good thing for it to be public knowledge that Rubio is not coming back. I think players prefer to know beforehand, but that doesn't mean it should be out in the public. Even George Hill didn't make it this obvious. We can't use the possibility of resigning Rubio as trade leverage anymore, and Rubio can't use it to help him negotiate a higher salary either.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#27 » by stitches » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:41 pm

KqWIN wrote:Yeah it does seem more like a leverage play than a real trade that would have gone down. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Speaking of leverage plays, I'm not sure it's a good thing for it to be public knowledge that Rubio is not coming back. I think players prefer to know beforehand, but that doesn't mean it should be out in the public. Even George Hill didn't make it this obvious. We can't use the possibility of resigning Rubio as trade leverage anymore, and Rubio can't use it to help him negotiate a higher salary either.

This is a specialty for our FO... we paint ourselves into a corner and then have to overpay to get out of it. THat's why we paid a 1st round pick for a player Minnesota has been trying to dump for more than a year. This is why we paid a lottery pick for 1 year of Hill... Now both Memphis and Miami and other teams know we are desperate for a PG and all the free agents know that if we don't trade for one we will need to overpay them to come to us. That's how you end up paying Darren Collison or Patrick Beverley 12M per year for example. This is how you end up paying 1st for Rubio or now... maybe 1st for Dragic or 2 firsts+ for Conley... just watch....
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#28 » by Luigi » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:18 pm

Give me Conley for 2 firsts (one that expires to 2 2nds) and Exum.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#29 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:28 pm

KqWIN wrote:Yeah it does seem more like a leverage play than a real trade that would have gone down. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think it matters that much, to be honest. And the reason is, that Rubio not coming back being public knowledge is only...public knowledge, meaning that us fans know about it from the media. I'm sure Rubio's agent made known to all relevant teams and front offices way before this became public through the media. That leverage was gone long even before it became public knowledge.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#30 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:56 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I don't think it matters that much, to be honest. And the reason is, that Rubio not coming back being public knowledge is only...public knowledge, meaning that us fans know about it from the media. I'm sure Rubio's agent made known to all relevant teams and front offices way before this became public through the media. That leverage was gone long even before it became public knowledge.

It's not beneficial for Rubio either. As an agent, you don't want to be telling teams that one of your potential suitors is out. It's not good for the Jazz or Rubio.

As someone who is highly critical of Rubio's acquisition, I also think it's odd to rule out that possibility so early. FA is likely to not go our way. Rubio is not a good option for us, but he might be the best of bad options we're presented with. I feel like the only time you should do this is if you know for sure that you have something better in the works. Otherwise, you should just tell Rubio that we'd love to have him back and then say sorry if a better option comes up.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#31 » by PharmD » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:41 am

KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

It's not beneficial for Rubio either. As an agent, you don't want to be telling teams that one of your potential suitors is out. It's not good for the Jazz or Rubio.

As someone who is highly critical of Rubio's acquisition, I also think it's odd to rule out that possibility so early. FA is likely to not go our way. Rubio is not a good option for us, but he might be the best of bad options we're presented with. I feel like the only time you should do this is if you know for sure that you have something better in the works. Otherwise, you should just tell Rubio that we'd love to have him back and then say sorry if a better option comes up.

I don't speak Catalan (Ricky's first language) but apparently what he said was the Jazz have told him he wasn't their first priority. Kind of different from how it was translated.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#32 » by eLo » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:44 am

i still would like more to resign Ricki, for reasonable cash, and get Harris, than chase Dlo Kemba or even Conley

Return to Utah Jazz