Donovan Mitchell gaining interest from Team USA

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Donovan Mitchell gaining interest from Team USA 

Post#1 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:48 am

Good opportunity for Mitchell as he evolves into an All Star. Would love to see him run with Harden, AD and potentially Zion.

https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-donovan-mitchell-gaining-serious-consideration-for-team-usa-spot/

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Donovan Mitchell gaining interest from Team USA 

Post#2 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 3, 2019 2:53 am

Usually I don't want our players competing in international events, but this at least guarantees that Donovan will be playing basketball instead of shooting a commercial. Also gives him time to talk to the other players...which is 90% bad and 10% good.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#3 » by Catchall » Mon Jun 3, 2019 4:32 pm

I think Team USA is a really good experience for young, up-and-coming players. It was great for DWill as a young guard. Team USA would give Mitchell All Star stature.

If I'm New Orleans, I don't want Anthony Davis, who is my main asset and who is injury prone, to play for Team USA. Same with Houston and James Harden. These guys have medals already and don't have anything to prove.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#4 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#5 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:28 pm

Probably good for him to get some playing time where he isn't asked to carry an offense by himself. He needs to learn efficiency tricks. And the exposure helps the momentum going into full star mode.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:15 pm

Luigi wrote:Probably good for him to get some playing time where he isn't asked to carry an offense by himself. He needs to learn efficiency tricks. And the exposure helps the momentum going into full star mode.

Also the mentorship. Lots of young players explode after a summer training with a bunch of other superstars. It happened to Hayward after 2014, as well.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#7 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:43 pm

Another potential benefit is that it takes him away from the youtube trainers. I don't know how valid this complaint is, but I saw some talk that the youtube trainers are actually bad for these players because they focus on moves that don't actually help the player. DL always talked about wishing that the players stayed in house in summer so they could work on the correct things, so maybe there's truth to that. I know some BOS fans think Tatum's youtube trainer ruined his game.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#8 » by Catchall » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:15 pm

Mitchell will learn more working out with guys like McCollum and Harden and working with coaches like Pop than just about anything else.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#9 » by Luigi » Thu Jun 6, 2019 5:32 am

I wonder if he'll be able to crack into the rotation. It'd give me another good reason to watch.

I also wonder how many guys are looking to graduate from team USA. Looking at a link to the roster https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/roster.aspx. There are a lot of guys hitting that 30 mark who might wanna take it easy, and a few guys who will wanna rehab.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#10 » by FJS » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:55 am

Probably it's better for him. Still, hoping he avoids injuries.

Return to Utah Jazz