Jazz interested in D'Angelo Russell per shams and rotoworld.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Re: Jazz interested in D'Angelo Russell per shams and rotoworld. 

Post#21 » by Luigi » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:57 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:If we want DLo we need to max him first night with a nasty contract that has trade kickers, and all that.

See I don't see us needing to offer max money to get D lo. I think Nets want KI they'll need to have room to sign Jimmy Buckets also. FYI . BFFs Key is selling D lo on taking a team friendly deal to play with Spider BFF and still being able to keep Favs and to keep Jazz strong and with real shot of winning a title? D Lo will be really rich man even without taking Max deal. And stick it in the Lakers face back in the west. :D

We can offer him 4/96 and keep Favors. If he'll take it, I wanna keep Favors.
We can offer him a 4/116 max if we waive Favors, and then we have 2/20 in cap space for a powerforward.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#22 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:59 am

Luigi wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:If we want DLo we need to max him first night with a nasty contract that has trade kickers, and all that.

See I don't see us needing to offer max money to get D lo. I think Nets want KI they'll need to have room to sign Jimmy Buckets also. FYI . BFFs Key is selling D lo on taking a team friendly deal to play with Spider BFF and still being able to keep Favs and to keep Jazz strong and with real shot of winning a title? D Lo will be really rich man even without taking Max deal. And stick it in the Lakers face back in the west. :D

We can offer him a 4/116 max if we waive Favors, and then we have 2/20 in cap space for a powerforward.

I'd go with the second for sure. Other wise I'm out. And I'd love D Lo's play. Smooth.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#23 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:00 am

How good/bad is DLo’s defense? Because his stats don’t blow me away. He takes a lot of 2’s. His 3 point percentage isn’t that high at 37% when it looks like the past few years he has been closer to 35%. Just seeing better defenders in the West could account for that difference. And we better be damn sure he can learn our system and integrate.

If I’m the Jazz I inquire about a sign and trade where I send a couple seconds. But I’d be hard pressed to make a huge offer. Sign and trade at 4/80 seems reasonable but since he was an AllStar he will want more. Maybe with the salary cap going
up in the next few years 4/90-4/100 is doable. That’s a lot of cash for a guy I’m not sure has the strengths to flourish in Quins system. And of his defense is lacking Rudy will kill him.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#24 » by Luigi » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:03 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:How good/bad is DLo’s defense? Because his stats don’t blow me away. He takes a lot of 2’s. His 3 point percentage isn’t that high at 37% when it looks like the past few years he has been closer to 35%. Just seeing better defenders in the West could account for that difference. And we better be damn sure he can learn our system and integrate.

If I’m the Jazz I inquire about a sign and trade where I send a couple seconds. But I’d be hard pressed to make a huge offer. Sign and trade at 4/80 seems reasonable but since he was an AllStar he will want more. Maybe with the salary cap going
up in the next few years 4/90-4/100 is doable. That’s a lot of cash for a guy I’m not sure has the strengths to flourish in Quins system. And of his defense is lacking Rudy will kill him.

His defense has been a weak point in the past. He was better last year, but it's not his strength. He is a real risk of being a contract year player. He might be a good fit. I am actually less interested in getting players that fit the system than I am in getting a coach that can fit pieces together. NBA starts with talent accumulation, and then coaches integrating that talent. Some talent is harder to integrate than others, but that's the secondary concern after landing the piece. He's young and fits a need.

I'd bet on him having a market for a max deal though.

As I see it, the Jazz have two semi-realistic plays this summer:
1) Trade 2 1sts and filler for Mike Conley. He shoots, pick n rolls, and defends. But he's 31 and might opt out.
2) Sign Russell to a max. He plays offense, is young, and could stay with the team after resigning Gobert and Mitchell. But he could be a contract year player that will continue to get caught at the TSA with weed.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#25 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 7:40 pm

Luigi wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:How good/bad is DLo’s defense? Because his stats don’t blow me away. He takes a lot of 2’s. His 3 point percentage isn’t that high at 37% when it looks like the past few years he has been closer to 35%. Just seeing better defenders in the West could account for that difference. And we better be damn sure he can learn our system and integrate.

His defense has been a weak point in the past. He was better last year, but it's not his strength. He is a real risk of being a contract year player. He might be a good fit. I am actually less interested in getting players that fit the system than I am in getting a coach that can fit pieces together. NBA starts with talent accumulation, and then coaches integrating that talent. Some talent is harder to integrate than others, but that's the secondary concern after landing the piece. He's young and fits a need.

I'd bet on him having a market for a max deal though.

As I see it, the Jazz have two semi-realistic plays this summer:
1) Trade 2 1sts and filler for Mike Conley. He shoots, pick n rolls, and defends. But he's 31 and might opt out.
2) Sign Russell to a max. He plays offense, is young, and could stay with the team after resigning Gobert and Mitchell. But he could be a contract year player that will continue to get caught at the TSA with weed.

Better have a clause in the contract that his contract can be voided if he gets suspended for weed. Absolutely stupid players can’t smoke, but the Jazz have to protect themselves.

I for one am not on the Conley bandwagon. I’d rather risk it on a young player like DLo over Conley. If we can get Tobias or Walker I’d rather do that as they are more proven commodities. But I’ll take a risk on a young player over an aging Conley any day.

Guess the big question would be. Whose better...,DLo or Brogdon? And which team would be the least likely to match? Or more importantly which team can we agree to send a couple seconds so they don’t bother matching or some type of sign and trade where we send a couple players like Thabo or possibly Crowder to make more room to sign another player who can contribute.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#26 » by Luigi » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:08 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Better have a clause in the contract that his contract can be voided if he gets suspended for weed. Absolutely stupid players can’t smoke, but the Jazz have to protect themselves.

I for one am not on the Conley bandwagon. I’d rather risk it on a young player like DLo over Conley. If we can get Tobias or Walker I’d rather do that as they are more proven commodities. But I’ll take a risk on a young player over an aging Conley any day.

Guess the big question would be. Whose better...,DLo or Brogdon? And which team would be the least likely to match? Or more importantly which team can we agree to send a couple seconds so they don’t bother matching or some type of sign and trade where we send a couple players like Thabo or possibly Crowder to make more room to sign another player who can contribute.

I like Brogdon. Excellent fit on the court and off. He has a lower ceiling than Russell.

But I think Russell is available and Brogdon isn't.

Harris would be good. His max is higher, and I don't think he's as available as Russell either.

Conley seems like a real option. Russell seems like a possible option. But I'd go for Brogdon or Harris, too.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#27 » by Winglish » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:32 pm

I'd like D-Lo on the Jazz. He has a smooth game and he makes good basketball decisions. Nice shot. He's a talented basketball player. MILES better than Exum!

I don't see D-Lo as a guy with the fire that burns hot to win like Rudy and Donovan. Maybe it's just me?

I don't think he brings any more wins our way than Rubio.

I'd still be on board. Russell might be a nice piece of the puzzle.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#28 » by KDBG » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:46 pm

It's meant to be man.

Read on Twitter
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#29 » by eLo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:05 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Luigi wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:See I don't see us needing to offer max money to get D lo. I think Nets want KI they'll need to have room to sign Jimmy Buckets also. FYI . BFFs Key is selling D lo on taking a team friendly deal to play with Spider BFF and still being able to keep Favs and to keep Jazz strong and with real shot of winning a title? D Lo will be really rich man even without taking Max deal. And stick it in the Lakers face back in the west. :D

I'd go with the second for sure. Other wise I'm out. And I'd love D Lo's play. Smooth.

smooth but also soft, im not big fan o bringing him here... at least not as plan a, i like much more idea o throwing max for Harris, or big cash for Brogdon. Dlo and spida could be be cool some times but could be also as hell inefficient often and toxic outside of the court( i mean you know those storys of collage hs palls thats teams up, of course it dont have to be like that but still i think about such possibilities). If Russel would improve his outside shoot, and Mitchell would start to do what he is best of, that mean scoring, than ok, but when i think about those two taking majority of 3 with their 36% it makes me fell sick :P
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#30 » by JazzyPhinz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Welp with the KD injury looks like things have changed quickly on this dream scenario.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#31 » by eLo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:Welp with the KD injury looks like things have changed quickly on this dream scenario.

i guess now its truly over, but with this scenario who knows maybe its better
Luigi
General Manager

Post#32 » by Luigi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Irving is still fixated on the Nets. I think we have a shot.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#33 » by pickIBL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Can max him and mle faried if favs is waived.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Luigi
General Manager

Post#34 » by Luigi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:36 pm

pickIBL wrote:Can max him and mle faried if favs is waived.

I wanna clear enough space for Russell 4/116 and Ariza 2/20.

Pretty sure we have to let Favors go to get max space for Russell.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#35 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Luigi wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Can max him and mle faried if favs is waived.

I wanna clear enough space for Russell 4/116 and Ariza 2/20.

Pretty sure we have to let Favors go to get max space for Russell.

I wonder if we could get Rudy Gay or Aminu for that money.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#36 » by pickIBL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:25 pm

You also have royce, crowder, ingles... so a back up big would seem more important.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#37 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 pm

pickIBL wrote:You also have royce, crowder, ingles... so a back up big would seem more important.

True, but you'll have your $4.7M room exception, vet min and/or a two-way (Willie Reed anyone?) to get a backup center.
A decent versatile forward is going to cost the full $8M-$10M in remaining cap space, IMO.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#38 » by Luigi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 pm

I'd play Ariza at the 4.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#39 » by pickIBL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
pickIBL wrote:You also have royce, crowder, ingles... so a back up big would seem more important.

True, but you'll have your $4.7M room exception, vet min and/or a two-way (Willie Reed anyone?) to get a backup center.
A decent versatile forward is going to cost the full $8M-$10M in remaining cap space, IMO.

Big step down from d favs. If gobert deals with any injuries the front court is in rough shape.

I say maybe just roll out crowder and royce at the 4. Niang too off the bench
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#40 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Three and D Ariza just had a poor season where he was rated poorly on three and D. He only knocked down threes at 32.2% for the Wizards. It might partly be a function of playing on a losing team or might have something to do with getting older. He's way down on DRPM too. He doesn't seem like he is worth 2 years, $10 mill per season. I too would rather give minutes to Ingles, Crowder, Royce and Niang.

Return to Utah Jazz