Utah Jazz 2019 Draft Picks: Film notes

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Utah Jazz 2019 Draft Picks: Film notes 

Post#1 » by stitches » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:53 am

I am going to watch several games of our picks (if I can find them) and write my notes on them here. If the video is available on youtube I will post it so everybody can watch and chime in with their opinions as well.

I'm starting with Justin Wright-Foreman. He played for small school Hofstra and here's him playing against NC State at the NIT tournament:

Full notes in the spoiler:

Spoiler:
First half:
-first thing I notice - he doesn't just stay on one spot after he gives up the ball, moves and replaces well off-ball. Nice to see for a go-to scorer.
-goes to the corner in transition and shoots a 3. Form and release look nice. Lefty. Misses but the shot looks good.
-not selfish on the break, waits for teammate and dishes for the layup. (handle was a bit loose)
-they are playing a zone on D... eh... won't be able to scout much of his defensive abilities it seems.
-misses layup in transition, but there were bodies in the paint..
-pure stroke from the wing - NBA range. Splash. Looks pretty.
-Oh damn... really nice drive and dish... he looks like a better passer/has better vision than his stats suggest
-gambled for a steal on D... not good
-looks very lackadaisical on D. Not much effort given to go over screens and then to catch up with his man
-draws BS foul on a 3... I like this :D
-trapping, full court pressure... looks engaged now... deflects the ball - you can see the huge wingspan here.
-shoots very long 3 off hand off - airballs it. With 20 seconds on the clock. Not the best shot, but shows confidence in his shot.
-plays off the ball a lot for a scorer of his caliber. There are possessions when he doesn't even touch the ball
-a bit distracted off-ball, allows an open shot from the corner to his man
-running the PnR, NC state took both his options and he gave up the dribble too quickly which forced a travel.
-runs the floor in transition, dunks off two feet.
-no idea why they are giving the ball to that no. 4 to run the offense. He's horrible
-JWF doesn't seem to be getting any of those spectacular rebounds with huge jumps around other players, but the ball seem to be finding him bouncing off the rim. That's 3 drbs in 8 minutes already.
-wow! WTF was that? Contested pull up off the dribble going left. This was reminiscent of those insane off the dribble flying left shots Lowry used to hit against us several years ago. He has no conscience. This was with 25 seconds on the clock. Splashes it. His makes are incredibly pure, don't even touch the rim. He is a shooter AND a scorer. WOW.
-I don't like his focus and instincts on D. Leaves another wide open shooter in the corner because he misjudged his assignment in the zone.
-again - ball watches off-ball... doesn't box out, his man gets the rebound because of it.
-they are letting no. 4 take the technicals, why?
-really nice move off-ball - fakes going up for the handoff and cuts backdoor for the wide open dunk - he has some hops when he can load off two feet.
-runs the PnR... great read, and great touch on the pass to the big over the defenders. Really nice. Timed the pass perfectly in the exact moment when the help defender started leaving the big in order to retreat to his own man.
-He's a better passer than I expected. Attacks baseline and zips one handed pass around the defenders similar to Ricky or Ingles to the corner shooter, he misses the shot.
-a bit of a careless/lackadaisical pass with one hand off the PnR almost gets it stolen.
-half-assing his defensive effort again, leads to a foul.
-nice read off the PnR, passes the ball to the secondary option on the wing for a wide open shot(make).
-He did the exact same fake into backdoor cut again... looks very sharp on it again - finishes through contact and forces and-1. Showed good balance and touch in this one.
-same pnr read, executed well again with a pass to the open shooter. He has the potential to be more than just a microwave scorer.
-ISO pulls up from 2 after some dribble moves, didn't create a lot of separation but forced another BS foul on the jumpshot, he knows how to tall to look like he got fouled.
-stuck on a screen, little effort to catchup, his man scores.
-tries to iso again, spin in the lane a bit out of control into a contested pull up jumper... airballs it.

(I will watch the second half later and complete my notes and do some TL;DR version)

2nd Half:
-corner 3, airball... I'm not sure but he might have gotten fouled on this one.
-starts the half off-ball primarily.
-drive and kick out to open shooter - misses.
-again fails to box out his man who gets the offensive rebound and scores
-six minutes and counting and they have given the ball to Foreman once, this is coaching failure.
-they are doubling him and hard hedging against him in the PnR and trying to force him to give up the ball... he makes the right decisions and passes out of it but his teammates can't punish NC State.
-they don't have anyone else to create offense and they are still playing him off-ball... this is weird.
-misses a corner 3, gets the loose ball and barrells into the paint absorbing contact and scoring through a defender - very good balance and strength on that finish.
-another nice pass, this time skip pass of the PnR to the other corner to an open shooter. I have no idea why they are not giving him the ball more. Good things happen when he's with the ball in his hands. Nothing good happens when the other guys(no.4) is running the offense.
-another assist off the PnR this time to the big rolling to the rim...
-tries to do the same but it looked like either the big got stuck on a body or didn't expect the pass - TO. IMO he's reading the game very well.
-good effort back in transition this time around..
-Misses open 3 from the left wing.
-passes ahead in transition
-final 5 minutes - he's engaged on D now... slides feet well and beats the screen then had a great contest on the pull up jumper. Very good defensive possession... so he has it in him... question is can he do it consistently?
-beats his man off the dribble in semi-transition, breezes through the paint for a layup against a defense that's not set yet.
-fouls a 3p shooter. This looks fishy.. There wasn't a lot of contact if at all...
-off-rhythm 3p shot, misses... I didn't like this one.
-beats his man off the dribble and draws a foul in the lane. scores both FTs.
-OK D vs ISO, forces jumpball/tie ball
-WOW! Incredible drive and acrobatic finish at the rim + and1. Split the double off the PnR and finished against 2 defenders at the rim. Again - body control, strength, balance to finish after absorbing contact.
- Big 3 pointer in transition! Does a shimmy after it. 2pt game 2 minutes to go. He looks like the best player on the floor right now.
- another good read and pass out of the PnR, his teammate misses the 3 for the lead.
-50 seconds to go - ISO at the top... beats his man and drives to the paint, draws the rim protector but misses the layup, his teammate finishes the putback(after the rim protector went to contest Foreman's shot).
-(Markell Johnson from NC State is interesting... I will keep him in mind for next year)
-end ...

Summary:
Defense - hard to evaluate on many levels because they played mostly in zone - not always engaged, not focused, loses his man... misses box outs and allows offensive rebounds. This will not fly with Quin. He's either going to play like he did in the final 6-7 minutes, or he's not going to play. At the end of the game showed ability to slide his feet and his length can be seen on some of his contests.

Offense: In a weird way... I was more impressed by his ability to run the PnR than by his scoring. He was making good decisions and making the right pass more often than not - showed ability to make primary, secondary and even tertiary reads off the PnR. Showed ability to both drive and kick and drive and dish. His shot looks smooth and translatable. He had a couple of airballs, which were weird to me but most of the rest were splashing without even hitting the rim. He showed some hard shot making with defender in his face and flying to the left, but I didn't see him create separation off the dribble on his jumpers. He had some very good drives in the paint - I wouldn't say he's incredibly fast or explosive, but he is very strong and can absorb contact and finish through it. Very good body control and touch after he gets bumped by defenders. Had 2 or 3 and-1s this game. Shows some smarts in the way he's drawing fouls too. He has functional PG handle, but I wouldn't call it special.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Utah Jazz 2019 Draft Picks: Film notes 

Post#2 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:28 pm

This kicks ass. Thanks.

Return to Utah Jazz