Jazz vs Memphis summer league

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Re: Jazz vs Memphis summer league 

Post#21 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:59 am

stitches wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I’m really questioning the Jazz talent evaluators. How many millions and picks have been wasted on the flotsam that is playing tonight?

It's just one game man...

Also, keep in mind what the success rate of late 2st round picks is... if one of those 3 becomes a good rotational player - this draft should be counted as success.

True, but my observation has been that guys who have a future in the league show it quickly. How long did it take Donovan Mitchell to show he was going to be good? One summer league game. How long did it take Neto to show he was a much better basketball player than Burke? One summer league game, even though I held out hope for Burke for the rest of the year. Brantley showed a pulse. The other guys look out of their league. Don’t get me started on Bradley.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#22 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:00 am

Rauxcee wrote:
JazzyPhinz wrote:No game thread? Man I'm a degenerate. Our 2nd round picks dont look very good. #3, 5, 8 if anyone cares.

I've thought Brantley has looked okay. He runs the floor well.

Brantley was definitely a pleasant surprise. I predict that he and Oni will make the cut. I expected better out of Wright-Forman.

PS Our boy Bradley was decent I thought......
Anybody see Fredette? He was outstanding for Golden State.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#23 » by stitches » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:03 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I’m really questioning the Jazz talent evaluators. How many millions and picks have been wasted on the flotsam that is playing tonight?

Also, keep in mind what the success rate of late 2st round picks is... if one of those 3 becomes a good rotational player - this draft should be counted as success.

True, but my observation has been that guys who have a future in the league show it quickly. How long did it take Donovan Mitchell to show he was going to be good? One summer league game. How long did it take Neto to show he was a much better basketball player than Burke? One summer league game, even though I held out hope for Burke for the rest of the year. Brantley showed a pulse. The other guys look out of their league. Don’t get me started on Bradley.

Yep... agreed. Especially for older player, you'd like to see them do well in SL.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#24 » by Rauxcee » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:33 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:

Trae Young looked like he didn't belong in the NBA after multiple summer league games. That's not always true.

But we took 3 guys with the last 10 picks. I'm not sure how often you even get a serviceable player in that range. Not a lot of expectations there.

As for Bradley.... I think the Jazz got duped. I think the Spurs were conning people into thinking they wanted him hoping teams would take the bait so they could get their guy. Of course, that speaks terrible of our FO, but I've got no other explanation.

Bradley looks decent in summer league, but pit him up against NBA level players that are longer, quicker, and can actually jump and he's got no chance. Might have a solid career in the G league though.

I am intrigued by Brantley though. Could be an end of bench guy, or could have potential to crack rotation at some point.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#25 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:04 am

Thought that Brantley showed a lot. NBA body, great athlete, competes, ball handling skill, semblance of a jumper...Clear foundation to work upon. There are a lot of ways he can become a useful NBA player. Good project.

Oni showed nothing.

Justin Wright Foreman was legitimately awful. His handle is awfully loose and made terrible decisions all night. Just one game though.

Bradley played like Bradley. He can rebound his own misses well, that's about it.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#26 » by Tom349 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:38 am

Brutal game to watch but thats to be expected given the lack of playing time with one another, players still developing their skills and especially as far as our players were concerned being role players having to take responsibilities that won't be relevant at the higher level.

Individually speaking Brantley showed the most, a few highlight play on both ends, however his game is a little strange, not sure how he fits at the next level. Oni was everywhere on defense and made some very good defensive plays but was also caught up in the moment and over committed a number of times, easy to see why Zanik mentioned they liked his defense first and foremost, could be a lockdown defender at the next level but has to improve his focus. JWF was asked to play off the ball and was also guarded by Carter so hard to take too much out of that game, expect him to show more against Cleveland. Bradley showed improvement but has to improve his focus if he wants to make it. Lastly Stanton Kidd I suspect will make the roster, we supposedly wanted him last off season but couldn't get him out of his contract with his European team which is now finished. Didn't shoot well today but I have similar flashbacks to Royce O'Neale who can shoot when surrounded by good creators but earns minutes based on his defense.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#27 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:57 pm

Rauxcee wrote:Trae Young looked like he didn't belong in the NBA after multiple summer league games. That's not always true.

But we took 3 guys with the last 10 picks. I'm not sure how often you even get a serviceable player in that range. Not a lot of expectations there.

As for Bradley.... I think the Jazz got duped. I think the Spurs were conning people into thinking they wanted him hoping teams would take the bait so they could get their guy. Of course, that speaks terrible of our FO, but I've got no other explanation.

Bradley looks decent in summer league, but pit him up against NBA level players that are longer, quicker, and can actually jump and he's got no chance. Might have a solid career in the G league though.

I am intrigued by Brantley though. Could be an end of bench guy, or could have potential to crack rotation at some point.

You have a good point about Trae Young, and I have to admit that I thought last summer that the Hawks had made a really bad decision. Perhaps I am overreacting, but usually players show that they belong fairly quickly, and Oni and GWF didn't just look off, they looked in over their heads. When the Jazz went to such lengths to get these guys at the end of the 2nd round, I thought that their evaluations must have really shown something, but so far that has not been the case.
stitches
RealGM

Post#28 » by stitches » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:11 pm

Watching the game now. I really like Brantley... he looks smaller than I expected... but he might be good enough to make it in the league.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#29 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:41 pm

Any news about William Howard and his chances to play or why he didnt play yesterday ?
stitches
RealGM

Post#30 » by stitches » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:46 pm

remi_222 wrote:Any news about William Howard and his chances to play or why he didnt play yesterday ?

Nothing I've seen.

Return to Utah Jazz