15%

Total votes: 34

DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,337

Re: Pick one: Gobert or Eaton? 

Post#21 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:20 am

We might see how a modern Eaton will perform when Tako plays real NBA minutes.
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#22 » by MeestR » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 pm

these results should be closer.

Here is an injured Mark Eaton getting a Triple Double against the Bulls in 1986.

for some reason, Basketball-Reference "only" has him down for 9 blocks...
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198612200CHI.html
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#23 » by zero24gravity » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 pm

MeestR wrote:these results should be closer.

Here is an injured Mark Eaton getting a Triple Double against the Bulls in 1986.

In today's NBA, it's a blowout for Gobert. You simply have to have mobility & "switchability", you also need to be able to do SOMETHING on offense. In Eaton's day, it would be a closer contest though, as Big Mark could pretty much just stay out of Karl's way in the paint on offense, and lock down the rim because his man stayed near the paint. Mark was awesome at what he did, but outside of strength/weight, I don't see a lot he could do better than Gobert. Now, if I was playing against the bruisers like Ewing or heaven-forbid, Shaq, I'd want Eaton in the middle.
MeestR
Analyst

Post#24 » by MeestR » Tue Oct 1, 2019 12:38 am

zero24gravity wrote:

In today's NBA, it's a blowout for Gobert. You simply have to have mobility & "switchability", you also need to be able to do SOMETHING on offense. In Eaton's day, it would be a closer contest though, as Big Mark could pretty much just stay out of Karl's way in the paint on offense, and lock down the rim because his man stayed near the paint. Mark was awesome at what he did, but outside of strength/weight, I don't see a lot he could do better than Gobert. Now, if I was playing against the bruisers like Ewing or heaven-forbid, Shaq, I'd want Eaton in the middle.

Eaton only scored 1 less point than Malone in that highlight.

Eaton had an offensive hookshot move you could rely outside of 5 feet.

Eaton had a post game.

Of course Gobert LOOKS better. The game has evolved by 30 years. When you consider it is just over 100 years old, and the league is 75, 30 years of evolution is a huge amount. Theres been literally generations of players building upon this past.

But Eaton compared to his peers was far more dominant than Gobert versus his peers.

Dont get me wrong, I love Gobert. He looks more athletic. But Eaton has more individual accomplishments and records for a reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#25 » by sipclip » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:15 am

No they shouldn't be closer. Gobert is simply a better overall player than Eaton was. That doesn't mean Eaton wasn't a really good player but Gobert is better without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#26 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:14 am

Rudy... My Jazz dream team would be
Rudy
Karl
AK 47
Spider M
Stockton Give me the RING. P.S the first movie to scare Rudy.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#27 » by idajazz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:49 pm

i have watched both, (YA i'm that old)
All I can say is DUHH.
Gobert and its not close.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#28 » by dr0welf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 pm

Yeah in todays game Eaton would be a total liability on the team. He was not super quick and would not be able to guard beyond the paint.
MeestR
Analyst

Post#29 » by MeestR » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:05 pm

I submit today's game wouldn't be what it is today without Eaton and the records he set. Because of Eaton, (and players like him) Olajuwon developed his Dream Shake. Then Shaq came with his heavier style of play. Nowitzki moved the big's game out a bit. Now we have Gobert and his peers valuing athleticism and ability to slash and move.

Gobert looks better today because of what Eaton helped to build. Sure, Eaton would not dominate in today's game. But would Gobert dominate the 80's like Eaton did? Could Gobert build a foundation for future bigs to build upon?
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Post#30 » by trex_8063 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 10:47 pm

stitches wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:So Eaton has his number retired. I suppose at this point Gobert should too?

I know the Jazz retire numbers pretty easily, but if Gobert is the best center we've ever had, he should have his number retired, right?

I'm not questioning either. Its summer and I suppose thinking about Gobert getting his number retired and if he should or what criteria he should meet to do so is something for me to think about.

IMO he will when the time comes. As long as he doesn't ask for a trade like... mid-season this year or something... There is a certain level of longevity that's needed for retiring the number but at peak-levels IMO Gobert is clearly our best center ever.

This.
Before saying that Gobert must certainly have as much or more clout with the Jazz organization (historically) you must remember that Eaton played 11 seasons in a Jazz uniform while never in any of those eleven missing as many games as Rudy did in '14, '16, and '18. He's got more than double the minutes played for the team than what Rudy's got.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Post#31 » by trex_8063 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 10:52 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:Rudy... My Jazz dream team would be
Rudy
Karl
AK 47
Spider M
Stockton Give me the RING. P.S the first movie to scare Rudy.

I'd go Hornacek for my dream team SG; way underrated player, and imo just a better fit with the rest of the above crew. If I don't have ample offensive talent on the roster, then sure I'll take Donovan.

And The Ring is legit scary; that movie genuinely scares me as an adult (even on re-watch).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#32 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:53 am

MeestR wrote:I submit today's game wouldn't be what it is today without Eaton and the records he set. Because of Eaton, (and players like him) Olajuwon developed his Dream Shake. Then Shaq came with his heavier style of play. Nowitzki moved the big's game out a bit. Now we have Gobert and his peers valuing athleticism and ability to slash and move.

Gobert looks better today because of what Eaton helped to build. Sure, Eaton would not dominate in today's game. But would Gobert dominate the 80's like Eaton did? Could Gobert build a foundation for future bigs to build upon?

Not a straight-up comparison due to the the different generations of ball. Gobert likely would have not thrived in the banging down low post-up era and Eaton clearly wasn't quick enough to thrive today. Can we just celebrate both eras and players?

A better question is how Adrian Dantley would fair today. I suspect people would hate him as the Harden of the paint? :lol:
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
MeestR
Analyst

Post#33 » by MeestR » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:21 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
MeestR wrote:I submit today's game wouldn't be what it is today without Eaton and the records he set. Because of Eaton, (and players like him) Olajuwon developed his Dream Shake. Then Shaq came with his heavier style of play. Nowitzki moved the big's game out a bit. Now we have Gobert and his peers valuing athleticism and ability to slash and move.

Not a straight-up comparison due to the the different generations of ball. Gobert likely would have not thrived in the banging down low post-up era and Eaton clearly wasn't quick enough to thrive today. Can we just celebrate both eras and players?

This is kind of my point. I LOVE Gobert. I love what he brings and how he plays. He deserves every award he wins and record he sets.

But, what Eaton did has never been done before, or since. He set the stage of what a good defensive center should play like. Gobert obviously is more athletic and his play looks cleaner, because he has had years and years of basketball history to have learnt from, (if not directly, than from his coaches.) I don't think what Gobert is doing in the league now, as dominant as it is, is as transformative as what Eaton did. All-Time Records - Game, Season, and Career - support this.

With the way this Team is built, and the way Coach Q has Jazz playing, IF Gobert can be as dominant as Eaton was, this team will win a Championship. And I certainly believe Gobert can do it, and may eventually leave a legacy on par with Eaton's. But he hasn't done it yet.

Return to Utah Jazz