Preseason Game 3: Jazz @ Pelicans on 10/11

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Preseason Game 3: Jazz @ Pelicans on 10/11 

Post#21 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 am

sipclip wrote:This pelicans team is going to be really really special in a few years. Zion is going to be a superstar if he stays healthy and NAW reminds me of Brandon Roy with his skillset and how smooth he is. He as well as Ball and Holiday will be a dynamic duo going forward. I also love the scoring punch that Frank Jackson brings as a microwave player off the bench. We were stupid not to demand him in the Favors trade. I guarantee they would have given him up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

No chance they were giving up Frank :lol: The Jazz had no leverage. Bogey was already agreed to.

Here's the superhuman block/goaltend by Brantley that decided the game. It was close.

https://streamable.com/itf4w
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#22 » by sipclip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:01 am

KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:This pelicans team is going to be really really special in a few years. Zion is going to be a superstar if he stays healthy and NAW reminds me of Brandon Roy with his skillset and how smooth he is. He as well as Ball and Holiday will be a dynamic duo going forward. I also love the scoring punch that Frank Jackson brings as a microwave player off the bench. We were stupid not to demand him in the Favors trade. I guarantee they would have given him up.

No chance they were giving up Frank The Jazz had no leverage. Bogey was already agreed to.

Here's the superhuman block/goaltend by Brantley that decided the game. It was close.

https://streamable.com/itf4w
They absolutely would have. There were other teams that wanted Favors as stated by Favors and jazz management. The jazz had the leverage in the situation and used it poorly. My guess is they didn't have any interest in Jackson even they should have.

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#23 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:41 am

I'm not overly concerned about the results, the defense was a little sluggish, but I think we'll put more effort on that side during the season. The offense looks amazing though! Our shooting numbers settled down in the second half, especially with our second/third unit in the 4th, but man in the first half we shot 67% from the field and something like 58% from behind the arc! I think we had 20 assists at the half! Hell we finished the game with 37, huge number! The scoring was balanced, but Bojan and Conley looked VERY good. Off the bench I really like what I saw from Bradley. I was scratching my head a bit this summer when we exercised the team option, but he's looking like he will be able to contribute this year. Mitchell was a little off offensively, but he got a lot of assists, and was solid defensively. Really surprised that O'Neale led us in scoring, I've always loved this kid.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#24 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:55 am

dautjazz wrote: Really surprised that O'Neale led us in scoring, I've always loved this kid.

Jeff Green scored 20 pts tonight, mostly on drives to the rim.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#25 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:10 am

Catchall wrote:
dautjazz wrote: Really surprised that O'Neale led us in scoring, I've always loved this kid.

Jeff Green scored 20 pts tonight, mostly on drives to the rim.

Agh you're right. He looked really good too. :-)
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,022

Post#26 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:31 am

If you’re a Pels fan, you’ve got to be excited. It’s not a matter of if, but when this team is going to be good, perhaps as early as this year.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#27 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Royce O’Neale and Jeff Green are going to have the easiest shots in the league this year. They are either WIDE open from 3, straight line drives to the rim, or cutting to the basket.

Jeff Green’s athleticism is really noticeable on cuts. He’s really learned how to play within a team over the years. I expect both guys to be +60% TS this year.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#28 » by stitches » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Remember what Rudy did to last year's no. 1 pick? Zion is a completely different animal. Being able to hold your own as a rookie against the 2 time DPOY is no joke. Zion is going to be special.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#29 » by sipclip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm

KqWIN wrote:Royce O’Neale and Jeff Green are going to have the easiest shots in the league this year. They are either WIDE open from 3, straight line drives to the rim, or cutting to the basket.

Jeff Green’s athleticism is really noticeable on cuts. He’s really learned how to play within a team over the years. I expect both guys to be +60% TS this year.
Completely agree. It sucks that we are getting a Green on the back end of his career rather a long term fit here but I could see him sustaining his current level of play for at least a couple more years. He hasn't had any major leg injuries that would drain his athleticism and he has the body type that seems to age well.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#30 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:28 pm

One thing I noticed with the rotation is that Quin is giving Conley the three stint, meaning he's running the second unit w/Davis. I'd rather pair Mitchell with Davis and Conley with Gobert. Mitchell never finds Gobert and is more likely going to shoot a floater. That's where Davis can make an impact with his rebounding. Conley, on the other hand, looks like he's looking for lobs more and will pair better with Gobert.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#31 » by Catchall » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 am

KqWIN wrote:Royce O’Neale and Jeff Green are going to have the easiest shots in the league this year. They are either WIDE open from 3, straight line drives to the rim, or cutting to the basket.

It looks like Jeff Green is going to be Joe Ingles' pick-and-roll partner with the 2nd unit this year, replacing Favors. Ingles was setting Green up again and again last night.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#32 » by KqWIN » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:50 am

Catchall wrote:

It looks like Jeff Green is going to be Joe Ingles' pick-and-roll partner with the 2nd unit this year, replacing Favors. Ingles was setting Green up again and again last night.

I didn't see that way. Green wasn't used as the roll man much. He was more often attacking the gaps created by the motion and ball movement. Green is pretty good at attacking in straight line drives and he did a good job at waiting for his moment and picking his spots. Unless we give Gobert the 3 stints, the pick and roll isn't going to be the staple it was in the past.

Quin's also using Green as a ball handler/passer quite a bit. There's a set I really like when they put Jeff on block, have the big at the elbow with two players splitting and the other guy in the opposite corner. It's yielded an open shot or layup each time.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#33 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Jazz signed Kyle Collingsworth, does not really seem all that newsworthy. Assuming it is an exhibit 10 deal.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz