2019 Utah Jazz Regular Season Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Regular Season Thread 

Post#161 » by Tom349 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 am

Interesting that Conley was going to be benched only for someone higher up to stop it which I personally think was one of DL or Zanik, possibly both. What makes it even more interesting is that this would be second time they have had to step in this season, the first being when they cut Jeff Green to give Niang his minutes. Suggest that they're not particularly happy with the way Quin is handling this season.

Which regardless of what you think of Conley and his role within the team they're are 100% correct to be stepping in as ultimately the potential of this team is reliant on Conley and Mitchell being able to figure out how go the best out of each others games without hurting one another.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#162 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:51 pm

We're currently the 6th seed in the west (tied with OKC who's 5th), and have one loss less than the Mavs.

1. Lakers (44-12): out of reach
2. Nuggets (40-18): probably out of reach. Nuggets lead season series 2-0. Two games left to play.
3. Clippers (39-19): probably out of reach. Jazz lead season series 2-1. One game to play.
4. Rockets (38-20): probably out of reach. Rockets lead season series 2-1. No more games.
5. Thunder (36-22): can take this seed. Season series tied 1-1, two more games to play.
6. Jazz (36-22): Currently suck
7. Mavericks (36-23): Jazz lead season series 2-0. One game left.
8. Grizzlies (28-30): Jazz lead season series 2-1. One game left.

Games left:

Washington Wizards
@ Cleveland Cavaliers
@ New York Knicks
@ Boston Celtics
@ Detroit Pistons
Toronto Raptors
@ Oklahoma City Thunder
New Orleans Pelicans
Memphis Grizzlies
Los Angeles Lakers
@ Los Angeles Lakers
Minnesota Timberwolves
@ San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs
@ Dallas Mavericks
Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
@ Portland Trail Blazers
@ Denver Nuggets
Los Angeles Clippers
@ Phoenix Suns
@ Oklahoma City Thunder
Denver Nuggets
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#163 » by KqWIN » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Spoiler:
We're currently the 6th seed in the west (tied with OKC who's 5th), and have one loss less than the Mavs.

1. Lakers (44-12): out of reach
2. Nuggets (40-18): probably out of reach. Nuggets lead season series 2-0. Two games left to play.
3. Clippers (39-19): probably out of reach. Jazz lead season series 2-1. One game to play.
4. Rockets (38-20): probably out of reach. Rockets lead season series 2-1. No more games.
5. Thunder (36-22): can take this seed. Season series tied 1-1, two more games to play.
6. Jazz (36-22): Currently suck
7. Mavericks (36-23): Jazz lead season series 2-0. One game left.
8. Grizzlies (28-30): Jazz lead season series 2-1. One game left.

Games left:

Washington Wizards
@ Cleveland Cavaliers
@ New York Knicks
@ Boston Celtics
@ Detroit Pistons
Toronto Raptors
@ Oklahoma City Thunder
New Orleans Pelicans
Memphis Grizzlies
Los Angeles Lakers
@ Los Angeles Lakers
Minnesota Timberwolves
@ San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs
@ Dallas Mavericks
Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
@ Portland Trail Blazers
@ Denver Nuggets
Los Angeles Clippers
@ Phoenix Suns
@ Oklahoma City Thunder
Denver Nuggets

Best case scenario is that we fall into the 3/6 or 2/7 matchup with the Clippers getting the 4th seed. The problem is that we are everyone's best matchup because we stink anyways.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#164 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:55 am

I'm giving it 10 more games. If the decline is for real with this roster over that stretch I will acknowledge the whole team is a mess and well, Jazz fandom sucks. I can't shake the fact that these guys are under-performing but also have no clue why with the coaching staff and personnel. If its mental, they still have time. Seeing guys scrapping for loose balls and rebounds would help. If the Jazz plummet and first round wash-out, the FO is in a hella position, right? Does Rudy or DM become a trade piece?
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#165 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:11 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:I'm giving it 10 more games. If the decline is for real with this roster over that stretch I will acknowledge the whole team is a mess and well, Jazz fandom sucks. I can't shake the fact that these guys are under-performing but also have no clue why with the coaching staff and personnel. If its mental, they still have time. Seeing guys scrapping for loose balls and rebounds would help. If the Jazz plummet and first round wash-out, the FO is in a hella position, right? Does Rudy or DM become a trade piece?

The question is how are we going to define success during that stretch. The Jazz win a few games in a row against weak teams and suddenly Jazz fans feel better even though it's not a real measuring stick to what they should be able to accomplish. We should be able to win 3 in a row against the Wiz, Cavs and Knicks. I just hope it doesn't give fans the impression that all is well again. We should also be able to beat the Griz and Pels, so that's 5 out of 10 but those are games we're supposed to win. Maybe we manage to win another game or two against one of the Celtics, Raps, OKC or Lakers. Then we're 6-4 or 7-3 but that won't mean much in terms of how good this team is.

As for playoff exits, I don't think it matters if we go out in round 1 or round 2. We may be able to win round 1 depending on seeding and matchup with the other team, but the bottom line is that this team hadn't been able to move past the 2nd round and if it happens again then obviously the moves in the offseason were failures since we could have kept our assets and cap space, make no moves and still end up in the same place.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#166 » by stitches » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:05 pm

Ben Taylor with nice video on Rudy's defense:
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#167 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:59 pm

stitches wrote:Ben Taylor with nice video on Rudy's defense:

This might be the first national media person to acknowledge Rudy's mobility as a strength, not a liability. Ben is very good, maybe the best we have. I think Rudy deserves more credit for his offense, but that was not the focus of this video.

Rudy's positioning, body control, IQ....anything besides his length are so underated. If he was 6'6, he'd still be a great defender. Shout out Chuck Hayes.
stitches
RealGM

Post#168 » by stitches » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:05 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:Ben Taylor with nice video on Rudy's defense:

This might be the first national media person to acknowledge Rudy's mobility as a strength, not a liability. Ben is very good, maybe the best we have. I think Rudy deserves more credit for his offense, but that was not the focus of this video.

Rudy's positioning, body control, IQ....anything besides his length are so underated. If he was 6'6, he'd still be a great defender. Shout out Chuck Hayes.

Ben Taylor is probably the best of the publicly available analysts. He might be better than Lowe nowadays.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#169 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jul 4, 2020 11:33 am

I've encountered some trade rumors about Gobert again in the last few days. I must say that I think most of the offers presented in these articles are downright awful for the Jazz. I think these articles stem from the same source, which is ClutchPoints.

ClutchPoints
5 best trade offers for Jazz star Rudy Gobert
https://clutchpoints.com/5-best-trade-offers-for-jazz-star-rudy-gobert/

fadeawayworld
NBA Rumors: Clippers Could Trade For Rudy Gobert
https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/07/03/clippers-could-trade-for-rudy-gobert/

inquisitr
NBA Rumors: LA Clippers Could Trade Three Players And Draft Pick For Rudy Gobert, Per ‘ClutchPoints’
https://www.inquisitr.com/6144039/rudy-gobert-la-clippers-hypothetical-trade-deal/

stitches
RealGM

Post#170 » by stitches » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I've encountered some trade rumors about Gobert again in the last few days. I must say that I think most of the offers presented in these articles are downright awful for the Jazz. I think these articles stem from the same source, which is ClutchPoints.

ClutchPoints
5 best trade offers for Jazz star Rudy Gobert
https://clutchpoints.com/5-best-trade-offers-for-jazz-star-rudy-gobert/

fadeawayworld
NBA Rumors: Clippers Could Trade For Rudy Gobert
https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/07/03/clippers-could-trade-for-rudy-gobert/

inquisitr
NBA Rumors: LA Clippers Could Trade Three Players And Draft Pick For Rudy Gobert, Per ‘ClutchPoints’
https://www.inquisitr.com/6144039/rudy-gobert-la-clippers-hypothetical-trade-deal/

The last two are sourcing the first article. But yeah. I agree, those are horrible.
stitches
RealGM

Post#171 » by stitches » Sat Jul 4, 2020 8:49 pm

Here's the pre-restart scrimmages:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Utah Jazz