NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,671
And1: 6,138
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#1 » by stitches » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:03 pm

So... here's the thread for 2020 draft prospects. We are very likely to keep our pick so this is the thread to discuss all prospects for the draft and the ones that will fit well in our system. The basketball NCAA season started yesterday so here we go...

I just watched Duke vs Kansas. I can't say I was impressed by anyone really. Ochai Agbaji is somewhat interesting as a 3 and d prospect if he can hit his jumpers and I need to look into that Duke freshman Cassius Stanley, who looks athletic and hit some jumpers in that game and played solid defense. Doesn't feel like either of those teams has super high level NBA talent, though. (add small sample disclaimer here)


I will be watching Michigan State vs Kentucky now and will add some more names here.

Just before I even start the game - I really want to see how Aaron Henry has developed over the summer. I really liked some of the things he was showing as a freshman last year. He's a big wing and IMO that's one of the things we need going forward.

Tyrese Maxey from Kentucky might be good... it took a while for him to get involved but once they decided to actually give him the ball, he looked fast, he looked skilled and he looked like he can shoot(although release point is low, a bit like Steph's shot) and he looked like he can create offense for himself.. he's a scorer. He's breaking the paint on a whim when he decides to be aggressive. but there is a certain aspect of hesitation to his game... like he's not sure what he's supposed to do(in PnR especially)... but then he lets his natural instincts take over and it looks seamless. I think he might be the best prospect from those top 4 teams I watched today... Defensively he might be a bit too nonchalant for my liking, but that's not what he's getting drafted for when the draft comes.(edit: better effort on D in the second half... I really like him... this is my early season favorite by a mile)

Ashton Hagans is another big guard that might be worth watching for the future.

Aaron Henry got into foul trouble in the beginning and has been riding the pine most of the game so far. edit: I don't think he's taken the step :( ... he looks clueless with the ball in his hands. No advanced handles, can't create. Good hustle, can defend, can make some good passes, but I wanted to see more of a skill development and floor game from him. (edit - okay... now he's starting to play better and make some things happen off the dribble... good drive and dish game).

This just in - Cassious Winston is a baller... just in case you didn't know.

WOW! MAXEY! WOW! Steph/Lillard/Trae Young type shot in the clutch from way out there. How the hell have I not heard of this guy before? The bad news is... if he's anywhere as good as he was in this game, he's not going to last until our pick. He's probably a top 5-10 pick.
Rauxcee
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,875
And1: 2,170
Joined: Jan 07, 2006
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#2 » by Rauxcee » Wed Nov 6, 2019 8:02 pm

But how is Cash Considerations looking?
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,671
And1: 6,138
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#3 » by stitches » Thu Nov 7, 2019 11:09 am

Rauxcee wrote:But how is Cash Considerations looking?

Cassious Considerations is overrated. High floor, low ceiling.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,708
And1: 5,659
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 7, 2019 12:48 pm

Rauxcee wrote:But how is Cash Considerations looking?

He's dead. Mike Conley killed him.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
Goober
GOTB's Cancun
Posts: 11,541
And1: 4,482
Joined: Jun 09, 2014
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#5 » by Goober » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:30 pm

Where is Cole Anthony expected to be taken at right now?
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,671
And1: 6,138
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#6 » by stitches » Thu Nov 7, 2019 4:24 pm

Goober wrote:Where is Cole Anthony expected to be taken at right now?

Top 3 from what I've heard. I didn't watch his game but seems like he was tremendous in his debut. Here's the highlights:



Here's Maxey's highlights... this is a freshman in his debut against the no.1 ranked team in the country, very impressive IMO:

Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 11,567
And1: 4,769
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#7 » by Catchall » Fri Nov 8, 2019 6:59 pm

I liked Jordan Nwora from Louisville in the early 2nd round in the last draft, but he had trouble with injuries during the pre-draft process. I think he could be available in the mid-late first round this year. He's an adequately athletic 6'7" wing who can score at three levels. Not sure if it will all translate to the NBA, but he looks decent.

sipclip
Head Coach
Posts: 6,830
And1: 1,231
Joined: Jan 20, 2005

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#8 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:24 am

Catchall wrote:I liked Jordan Nwora from Louisville in the early 2nd round in the last draft, but he had trouble with injuries during the pre-draft process. I think he could be available in the mid-late first round this year. He's an adequately athletic 6'7" wing who can score at three levels. Not sure if it will all translate to the NBA, but he looks decent.

Nwora was my top target before he pulled out of the draft and nothing has changed. He would be an incredible fit with our team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach
Posts: 6,830
And1: 1,231
Joined: Jan 20, 2005

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#9 » by sipclip » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:50 am

Sucks that we didn't keep our pick and guarantee we would take Nwora. He was really good last year but he has taken his game and his body to another level. He looks like he has added 15 pounds of muscle and a lot more athletic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,240
And1: 5,554
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:32 am

Hope we get to keep our pick (most likely outcome), this looks like a great year for point guards. I like Killian Hayes. Reminds me of Shai, he just moves very deliberately. I also like Tre Jones, but I don't think he's as good a fit for our team. Curious about Tyrese Haliburton as well. Theo Malidon is way above us, but he is likewise intriguing. Basically, there seems to be some bigger 1's that might make good fits down the road, and there is a good chance of nice talent dropping to us.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,641
And1: 5,468
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#11 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 am

Guys I'll be keeping an eye on:

Isaiah Joe - Arkansas
Tyrese Haliburton - Iowa State
Amar Sylla - Int/Belgian League
Tyler Bey - Colorado
Scottie Lewis - Florida
Onyeka Okongwu - USC
Ashton Hagans - Kentucky
Cassius Stanley - Duke
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,708
And1: 5,659
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:19 am

babyjax13 wrote:Hope we get to keep our pick (most likely outcome), this looks like a great year for point guards. I like Killian Hayes. Reminds me of Shai, he just moves very deliberately. I also like Tre Jones, but I don't think he's as good a fit for our team. Curious about Tyrese Haliburton as well. Theo Malidon is way above us, but he is likewise intriguing. Basically, there seems to be some bigger 1's that might make good fits down the road, and there is a good chance of nice talent dropping to us.

No more Treys. Tres count too.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,671
And1: 6,138
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#13 » by stitches » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Hope we get to keep our pick (most likely outcome), this looks like a great year for point guards. I like Killian Hayes. Reminds me of Shai, he just moves very deliberately. I also like Tre Jones, but I don't think he's as good a fit for our team. Curious about Tyrese Haliburton as well. Theo Malidon is way above us, but he is likewise intriguing. Basically, there seems to be some bigger 1's that might make good fits down the road, and there is a good chance of nice talent dropping to us.

No more Treys. Tres count too.

Tre's time's a charm?
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,708
And1: 5,659
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#14 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:41 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Hope we get to keep our pick (most likely outcome), this looks like a great year for point guards. I like Killian Hayes. Reminds me of Shai, he just moves very deliberately. I also like Tre Jones, but I don't think he's as good a fit for our team. Curious about Tyrese Haliburton as well. Theo Malidon is way above us, but he is likewise intriguing. Basically, there seems to be some bigger 1's that might make good fits down the road, and there is a good chance of nice talent dropping to us.

No more Treys. Tres count too.

Tre's time's a charm?

On the third Trey we all get hammered on Tres Comas tequila.
https://dlmag.com/russ-hanneman-tres-comas-anejo-tequila-introduced-drink-up-silicon-valley/

Image
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TNJazz
Junior
Posts: 489
And1: 131
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#15 » by TNJazz » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Do we have to wait for a Trey, or can we just get hammered? :)
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,708
And1: 5,659
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 am

TNJazz wrote:Do we have to wait for a Trey, or can we just get hammered? :)

Apparently Giannis and the Bucks took care of that for us and hammered us pretty hard.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,641
And1: 5,468
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:06 am

I couldn’t figure out why there wasn’t more talk about Cassius Stanley, but then I realized he’s already 20. Crazy how much the “hold back” has become a part of the strategy.
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 11,567
And1: 4,769
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#18 » by Catchall » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:00 am

I can't be bothered to look at college players right now. Jazz need a 6'7" or 6'8" skilled, athletic wing though.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,671
And1: 6,138
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#19 » by stitches » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:25 am

Catchall wrote:I can't be bothered to look at college players right now. Jazz need a 6'7" or 6'8" skilled, athletic wing though.

6'8 wing... and skilled... and athletic... we probably need top 5 pick for that.

This coming draft seems very PG heavy...
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,708
And1: 5,659
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#20 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 7, 2019 12:35 pm

stitches wrote:
Catchall wrote:I can't be bothered to look at college players right now. Jazz need a 6'7" or 6'8" skilled, athletic wing though.

6'8 wing... and skilled... and athletic... we probably need top 5 pick for that.

This coming draft seems very PG heavy...

We could use a point guard too...
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz