NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya, DelaneyRudd

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
Posts: 10,564
And1: 3,947
Joined: Jun 02, 2014
       

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#261 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:42 pm

What's your guys' opinion od SG Desmond Bane ?? Not quick or athletic but can shoot efficiently and plays good perimeter defense.
When your days are grey, and your nights are black, it's just different shades of mundane !
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,158
And1: 5,056
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#262 » by Catchall » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 pm

skywalker33 wrote:What's your guys' opinion od SG Desmond Bane ?? Not quick or athletic but can shoot efficiently and plays good perimeter defense.


I haven't looked at him too closely. His shooting is real and should translate. I see him as a big combo guard who should be a rotational player. I'm not convinced he can really play the 1.
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,158
And1: 5,056
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#263 » by Catchall » Wed Sep 2, 2020 4:23 pm

I still like Bolmaro for the Jazz at #23. I don't see a perfect comp for him, but think he could be similar to a 6'7" Goran Dragic. The league is dominated by 6'7" wings with ball skills, and the combination of Bolmaro's tight handle, high-level body control and advanced timing and delivery on passes lead me to believe he's going to get where he wants to on the floor and make a play. Plus, his energy and competitiveness on defense leads me to believe he loves the game and will work hard to improve. If he develops his floater and mid-range jumper, he could be a 3-level scorer.

I have Bolmaro > Maledon > Green, and I have Bolmaro being at least a tier better than Troy Brown, whom I liked a couple years ago. I could see Bolmaro start to replace Joe Ingles role as a 2/3.

The jury is still out for me on Paul Reed.

Guys I would trade up for include Patrick Williams and Aleksej Pokusevski.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,854
And1: 5,901
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#264 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 7:27 am

I've got
1. Grant Riller
2. Leandro Bolmaro
3. Nate Hinton
4. Tillman

In the second round (if we buy a pick)
1. Nate Hinton
2. Xavier Tillman
3. Paul Reed
4. Mason Jones
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,158
And1: 5,056
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#265 » by Catchall » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:48 pm

If the Jazz want an athletic wing defender in the late 2nd round, Yves Pons is a possibility. He might actually go undrafted. He's an NBA athlete who should be able to guard 3s and 4s.

Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,158
And1: 5,056
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#266 » by Catchall » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:09 am

I keep coming back to Reggie Perry as a first-round talent and a value pick in the 2nd round. He's 6'9" / 250 lbs, and he's got a pretty versatile scoring package with a decent handle and passing game. I'm not sure what his defense will look like on an NBA spaced floor, but he looks like a really interesting and versatile backup 4/5. I see him being more versatile offensively than Jalen Smith. FWIW, I also think he'll be better than Trey Lyles and probably Luka Samanic.

There are some rumors about his attitude and off-court issues, but I'm wondering how big those concerns really are.

Hoops Addict
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,391
And1: 81
Joined: Apr 18, 2011

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#267 » by Hoops Addict » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Do you like Vernon Carey Jr.? He
very good......we could use a Favors replacement.

team logo

headshot-image
Vernon Carey Jr. C
DUKE • FR • 6'10" / 270 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Utah
PROSPECT RNK
35th
POSITION RNK
6th
PPG
17.8
RPG
8.8
APG
1
3P%
38.1%
You'll notice that my mocks continue to have a blend of prospect strength, intel on where prospects fit and some injection on prospects in terms of where I think they should go. I like Vernon Carey's ceiling if he's hanging around by the No. 23 pick. His development from November to March was extremely impressive. Credit to Duke assistant Nate James, who's proven to be a fantastic big-man coach with the Blue Devils. Carey almost never played in the post prior to arriving at Duke. In little time he grew into a viable back-to-basket player, and even if that style is an aberration at the NBA level, it goes to show how versatile Carey can be and how quick a study he is. He's only 19, remember, and he comes from a family of athletes. He was better than any freshman in college basketball last season, and in fact was one of the 10 best players in the sport. That stuff should matter. A big man with a good touch, a good defensive profile and a nice passer for a player of his size. If he falls beyond 25, it's a mistake. Period.
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 12,158
And1: 5,056
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#268 » by Catchall » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 am

Hoops Addict wrote:Do you like Vernon Carey Jr.? He
very good......we could use a Favors replacement.

team logo

headshot-image
Vernon Carey Jr. C
DUKE • FR • 6'10" / 270 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Utah
PROSPECT RNK
35th
POSITION RNK
6th
PPG
17.8
RPG
8.8
APG
1
3P%
38.1%
You'll notice that my mocks continue to have a blend of prospect strength, intel on where prospects fit and some injection on prospects in terms of where I think they should go. I like Vernon Carey's ceiling if he's hanging around by the No. 23 pick. His development from November to March was extremely impressive. Credit to Duke assistant Nate James, who's proven to be a fantastic big-man coach with the Blue Devils. Carey almost never played in the post prior to arriving at Duke. In little time he grew into a viable back-to-basket player, and even if that style is an aberration at the NBA level, it goes to show how versatile Carey can be and how quick a study he is. He's only 19, remember, and he comes from a family of athletes. He was better than any freshman in college basketball last season, and in fact was one of the 10 best players in the sport. That stuff should matter. A big man with a good touch, a good defensive profile and a nice passer for a player of his size. If he falls beyond 25, it's a mistake. Period.


Carey is a beast, but he doesn't really fit with the modern NBA. He'd be a back-up 5, similar to Enes Kanter. His inability to switch defensively and guard in space is what holds him back.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,854
And1: 5,901
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#269 » by babyjax13 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Catchall wrote:
Hoops Addict wrote:Do you like Vernon Carey Jr.? He
very good......we could use a Favors replacement.

team logo

headshot-image
Vernon Carey Jr. C
DUKE • FR • 6'10" / 270 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Utah
PROSPECT RNK
35th
POSITION RNK
6th
PPG
17.8
RPG
8.8
APG
1
3P%
38.1%
You'll notice that my mocks continue to have a blend of prospect strength, intel on where prospects fit and some injection on prospects in terms of where I think they should go. I like Vernon Carey's ceiling if he's hanging around by the No. 23 pick. His development from November to March was extremely impressive. Credit to Duke assistant Nate James, who's proven to be a fantastic big-man coach with the Blue Devils. Carey almost never played in the post prior to arriving at Duke. In little time he grew into a viable back-to-basket player, and even if that style is an aberration at the NBA level, it goes to show how versatile Carey can be and how quick a study he is. He's only 19, remember, and he comes from a family of athletes. He was better than any freshman in college basketball last season, and in fact was one of the 10 best players in the sport. That stuff should matter. A big man with a good touch, a good defensive profile and a nice passer for a player of his size. If he falls beyond 25, it's a mistake. Period.


Carey is a beast, but he doesn't really fit with the modern NBA. He'd be a back-up 5, similar to Enes Kanter. His inability to switch defensively and guard in space is what holds him back.


I think his upside if he cuts some weight and works really hard on his lateral quickness (and is not as dumb defensively) is Thomas Bryant. I like that kind of player, especially as a backup, and think it is a valuable archetype, but not in the first round. If we buy a second I'm totally on board for a flier on Carey. Oturo is the player of this mold I'd want in the first round, because I think his ceiling is higher (think more like something between Thomas Bryant and late-career Kevin Love on offense, but without Love's passing). I think that's a valuable player, too.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,854
And1: 5,901
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#270 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:13 am

Just throwing a hypothetical trade out there where Utah uses Conley to absorb *some* bad salary while returning some picks:

Milwaukee trades: Eric Bledsoe, Ersan Ilyasova
Milwaukee receives: Mike Conley
Milwaukee trades for a guy that can create his own shots and stretch the court without giving up their first, and maybe parlaying it with DDV for another upgrade.

Minnesota trades: James Johnson, 2020 BYK 1st (17)
Minnesota receives: Eric Bledsoe, 2020 UTA 1st (23)
Minnesota moves down a few picks in the draft, but gets an elite perimeter defender. Bledsoe may not be 'with the timeline', but I think the cost is minimal enough they should care, especially if it makes retaining Towns easier down the line because you prove you want to win.

Utah trades: Mike Conley, Ed Davis, Georges Niang, 2020 UTA 1st (23)
Utah receives: Delon Wright, Dwight Powell, Ersan Ilyasova, 2020 BYK 1st (17), 2020 DAL 1st (18), 2020 GSW 2nd (31)
Utah brings in three rotation players that fill gaps in their lineup (backup PG if Conley leaves, high level backup center, stretch 4 who can rebound), moves up in the draft, gets another first and a second for doing so.

Dallas trades: Delon Wright, Dwight Powell, 2020 DAL 1st (18), 2020 GSW 2nd (31)
Dallas receives: James Johnson, Ed Davis, Georges Niang
Dallas moves off of two contracts they may not want to keep, while adding a two way power forward (Johnson) and a really nice shooting specialist off the bench (Niang). Ed Davis sucks, but maybe it's due to injuries and he has a bit of a revival with Dallas.


This may not be exactly it, but I'm warming up to this idea of making a trade that gets us some lengthy defenders, especially off the bench, and returns us some picks so that we can try and capitalize on the middle of this draft, which looks like a nice spot for landing some talent. Just taking some guys the board likes and working directly from tankathon's mock draft:

17. Aleksej Pokusevski
18. Leandro Bolmaro
31. Jaden McDaniels

Resign Clarkson, and I don't think we'd really *need* to use the MLE and/or BAE, though I think we *should* if only for the possibility of flipping whoever you get down the road. So after resigning Clarkson your depth chart looks like:

Gobert/Powell/Bradley/Pokusevski
Bogdanovic/Ilyasova/Brantley
O'neale/Ingles/McDaniels
???/Clarkson/Bolmaro
Mitchell/Wright/Oni

I think that's a team where our bench doesn't get murdered if Clarkson isn't on, and it moves Mitchell to the 1 while adding some high upside players who would be really nice fits if they hit their hypothetical ceilings. So, just throwing the idea of using Conley to get some picks? What do people think?
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,412
And1: 661
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#271 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Just throwing a hypothetical trade out there where Utah uses Conley to absorb *some* bad salary while returning some picks:

Milwaukee trades: Eric Bledsoe, Ersan Ilyasova
Milwaukee receives: Mike Conley
Milwaukee trades for a guy that can create his own shots and stretch the court without giving up their first, and maybe parlaying it with DDV for another upgrade.

Minnesota trades: James Johnson, 2020 BYK 1st (17)
Minnesota receives: Eric Bledsoe, 2020 UTA 1st (23)
Minnesota moves down a few picks in the draft, but gets an elite perimeter defender. Bledsoe may not be 'with the timeline', but I think the cost is minimal enough they should care, especially if it makes retaining Towns easier down the line because you prove you want to win.

Utah trades: Mike Conley, Ed Davis, Georges Niang, 2020 UTA 1st (23)
Utah receives: Delon Wright, Dwight Powell, Ersan Ilyasova, 2020 BYK 1st (17), 2020 DAL 1st (18), 2020 GSW 2nd (31)
Utah brings in three rotation players that fill gaps in their lineup (backup PG if Conley leaves, high level backup center, stretch 4 who can rebound), moves up in the draft, gets another first and a second for doing so.

Dallas trades: Delon Wright, Dwight Powell, 2020 DAL 1st (18), 2020 GSW 2nd (31)
Dallas receives: James Johnson, Ed Davis, Georges Niang
Dallas moves off of two contracts they may not want to keep, while adding a two way power forward (Johnson) and a really nice shooting specialist off the bench (Niang). Ed Davis sucks, but maybe it's due to injuries and he has a bit of a revival with Dallas.


This may not be exactly it, but I'm warming up to this idea of making a trade that gets us some lengthy defenders, especially off the bench, and returns us some picks so that we can try and capitalize on the middle of this draft, which looks like a nice spot for landing some talent. Just taking some guys the board likes and working directly from tankathon's mock draft:

17. Aleksej Pokusevski
18. Leandro Bolmaro
31. Jaden McDaniels

Resign Clarkson, and I don't think we'd really *need* to use the MLE and/or BAE, though I think we *should* if only for the possibility of flipping whoever you get down the road. So after resigning Clarkson your depth chart looks like:

Gobert/Powell/Bradley/Pokusevski
Bogdanovic/Ilyasova/Brantley
O'neale/Ingles/McDaniels
???/Clarkson/Bolmaro
Mitchell/Wright/Oni

I think that's a team where our bench doesn't get murdered if Clarkson isn't on, and it moves Mitchell to the 1 while adding some high upside players who would be really nice fits if they hit their hypothetical ceilings. So, just throwing the idea of using Conley to get some picks? What do people think?

I think you might have left out solving the problems of free energy and world peace.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,854
And1: 5,901
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#272 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:22 am

The more direct route is Conley for Delon Wright + Dwight Powell + Josh Jackson + 18 + 31 if the original looks too complicated. The tankathon mock would then have us able to draft:

18. Leandro Bolmaro
23. Tyler Bey
31. Jaden McDaniels

For example. IDK, Conley just seems like he should go to me. I'd prefer to see if we can get Otto Porter, but if that's not available, some cracks in the draft seem like nice consolation.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
sipclip
Head Coach
Posts: 6,858
And1: 1,238
Joined: Jan 20, 2005

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#273 » by sipclip » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm

I've been watching a lot of film on Cassius Stanley of late and I'm 100% sold on his ability to defend and hit the open 3 in the nba. He is Royce but with another level of explosiveness. He is a must snag player for this team as far as I'm concerned. He and Nwora in the second round would make it one hell of a draft.

With our 1st round pick I am still enamored with the upside potential of McDaniels but I'm really starting to lock in on Daniel Oturu. I think he can play a little at the 4 but I think he will be really good center long term which makes him a contributor for us but also a trade piece that can increase in value.
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,412
And1: 661
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#274 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 pm

babyjax13 wrote:The more direct route is Conley for Delon Wright + Dwight Powell + Josh Jackson + 18 + 31 if the original looks too complicated. The tankathon mock would then have us able to draft:

18. Leandro Bolmaro
23. Tyler Bey
31. Jaden McDaniels

For example. IDK, Conley just seems like he should go to me. I'd prefer to see if we can get Otto Porter, but if that's not available, some cracks in the draft seem like nice consolation.

In theory, I really like the Otto Porter move too, and would have been thrilled with him on the Jazz in the past. However, if the best ability is availability, given the past couple of seasons, he might not be the best move, unless the Bulls really sweetened the pot.
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,412
And1: 661
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#275 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 pm

sipclip wrote:I've been watching a lot of film on Cassius Stanley of late and I'm 100% sold on his ability to defend and hit the open 3 in the nba. He is Royce but with another level of explosiveness. He is a must snag player for this team as far as I'm concerned. He and Nwora in the second round would make it one hell of a draft.

With our 1st round pick I am still enamored with the upside potential of McDaniels but I'm really starting to lock in on Daniel Oturu. I think he can play a little at the 4 but I think he will be really good center long term which makes him a contributor for us but also a trade piece that can increase in value.

I've been a fan of Oturu for quite some time. He could be a great backup center and eventual Gobert replacement, although I'm not sure how well he can defend the perimeter or in space (certainly no worse than Gobert, but enough to keep up with the modern NBA?).

McDaniels is a swing hard and hit a grand slam or whiff. Amazing that he is now slotted in the 2nd round. Personally, if we could trade into the 2nd to get him, I'd be all over it.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,854
And1: 5,901
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#276 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Rudy is actually pretty good at defending the perimeter, players can't score on him, but it does pull him out of position and create opportunities for interior looks. Oturo doesn't have Rudy's length, and I'm not sure he's laterally quicker, so I expect he'd actually be pretty terrible in that respect. That said, his offensive game looks really nice, and I think his interior defense will be passable. I like the Thomas Bryant comparison for him.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 18,854
And1: 5,901
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#277 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Also, I really like Stanley. I think his BBIQ may not be the best, though. I'm not sure how he isn't better with his combination of size and skill.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,812
And1: 5,570
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#278 » by KqWIN » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:12 pm

No more Tony Bradley types please!!!! If we spend any assets on a C (MLE, BAE, or 1st round pic) I'm going to be pissed.
sipclip
Head Coach
Posts: 6,858
And1: 1,238
Joined: Jan 20, 2005

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#279 » by sipclip » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Also, I really like Stanley. I think his BBIQ may not be the best, though. I'm not sure how he isn't better with his combination of size and skill.


I feel like Stanley was just a great team guy that didn't force things. I'm confident that if he would have stayed another year you would have seen him blow up and be a borderline lottery type guy. The fact that he is mocked in the late 40's is crazy to me. After a little more thinking I think Norman Powell is pretty good comp for him.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 14,812
And1: 5,570
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#280 » by KqWIN » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:49 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
sipclip wrote:I've been watching a lot of film on Cassius Stanley of late and I'm 100% sold on his ability to defend and hit the open 3 in the nba. He is Royce but with another level of explosiveness. He is a must snag player for this team as far as I'm concerned. He and Nwora in the second round would make it one hell of a draft.

With our 1st round pick I am still enamored with the upside potential of McDaniels but I'm really starting to lock in on Daniel Oturu. I think he can play a little at the 4 but I think he will be really good center long term which makes him a contributor for us but also a trade piece that can increase in value.

I've been a fan of Oturu for quite some time. He could be a great backup center and eventual Gobert replacement, although I'm not sure how well he can defend the perimeter or in space (certainly no worse than Gobert, but enough to keep up with the modern NBA?).

McDaniels is a swing hard and hit a grand slam or whiff. Amazing that he is now slotted in the 2nd round. Personally, if we could trade into the 2nd to get him, I'd be all over it.


I actually don't see prospects like McDaniels has high potential prospects. I can't think of any prospects like him that turned out with the "grand slam" outcome. It doesn't surprise me that he's ranked low because he simply wasn't that good in college. When I think about all the late first or second round picks that did have a grand slam outcome, they are almost always unassuming.
Here are the all star players coming from late first or second round:

Jokic
Butler
Gobert
Lowry
Middleton
Siakam
Vucevic
Brogdon
Green
Millsap


None of these players are the McDaniels type. When I look at this list, I see two types:

1) International/hidden types. Here's where you have Jokic, Gobert, and Siakam. These guys are the unknowns that you have find with better scouting, be it internally or a smaller college like Siakam. I think these players are harder to find these days. Scouting is better and more international than ever.

2) Solid college players hiding in plain sight. This accounts for the rest. I think a lot of these guys are pigeonholed into being role players/low potential guys. All of these guys were older prospects as well.

Here's the next tier of draft steals:

Van Vleet
Tobias Harris
Lou
Capela
Harrell
Dinwiddie
Graham
Bogey
Barton
George Hill
Ingles
Powell

I guess you Tobias Harris is that guy. Highly touted prospect, one and done, and not very good in college. But that's about it, Lou was drafted ages ago. If I'm following the trends and going for the home run I'm looking international, small college, and upperclassman who are written off because of size/athleticism concerns. Or, the other way to look at this is that you can't exclude older players from the guys who can improve a ton. We always envision 19 year olds as the guys who have a ton of room to improve, but we should also have an optimistic eye for older prospects.

Who are the prospects this year that fit the trends the best?

Return to Utah Jazz