NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#461 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:01 am

KqWIN wrote:
Catchall wrote:Theo Maledon could still be in play for the Jazz. He can play next to Mitchell and play both on and off the ball. I worry about his low steal rate, but other than that, he has George Hill potential.

He doesn't pop off the screen, but I think he's overlooked. He was really solid in the Euroleague...as an 18 year old. His production is just about as impressive as anyone, and he's one of the younger players in the draft.

For me, Maledon is BPA over Green and Bane, but Green and Bane fill needs better.

A year from now, we may lose Mike Conley (if he isn't moved sooner), and both he and Joe will be 34. Bringing in a guard to complement Mitchell is ultimately a need.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#462 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Reminder of the history of #LockeWatch:

2011 - Alec Burks
2012 - No FRP
2013 - Rudy Gobert
2014 - Rodney Hood
2015 - Trey Lyles
2016 - Implied trade for vet PG (Hill or Holiday)
2017 - Tony Bradley (Mitchell hidden at threat of being fired)
2018 - Grayson Allen
2019 - Implied trade

Robert Woodard would make it a full decade of draft leaks :lol:
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#463 » by stitches » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:56 pm

KqWIN wrote:Reminder of the history of #LockeWatch:

2011 - Alec Burks
2012 - No FRP
2013 - Rudy Gobert
2014 - Rodney Hood
2015 - Trey Lyles
2018 - Grayson Allen
2019 - Implied trade

I was listening to him on 1280 the other day. He was backtracking hard on Woodard. He was like "he has everything athelticism/physical attributes-wise but nothing else is sure with him"
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#464 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:29 pm

stitches wrote:

2011 - Alec Burks
2012 - No FRP
2013 - Rudy Gobert
2014 - Rodney Hood
2015 - Trey Lyles
2018 - Grayson Allen
2019 - Implied trade

I was listening to him on 1280 the other day. He was backtracking hard on Woodard. He was like "he has everything athelticism/physical attributes-wise but nothing else is sure with him"

That's his thing with Woodard. He keeps saying that nobody else besides him likes Woodard and also that Woodard is bad at everything besides his physical attributes. Sort of reminds me of Trey Lyles balance and Grayson Allen soft pads on his hands.

Covid has made the draft process much different this year, however, and even Locke Watch might have to take a gap year.

Say he's right though, how do you feel about Woodard?
Catchall
RealGM

Post#465 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 pm

Locke said he'd take Josh Green ahead of Woodard. He's also mentioned Jaden McDaniels.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#466 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:50 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

2011 - Alec Burks
2012 - No FRP
2013 - Rudy Gobert
2014 - Rodney Hood
2015 - Trey Lyles
2018 - Grayson Allen
2019 - Implied trade

That's his thing with Woodard. He keeps saying that nobody else besides him likes Woodard and also that Woodard is bad at everything besides his physical attributes. Sort of reminds me of Trey Lyles balance and Grayson Allen soft pads on his hands.

Covid has made the draft process much different this year, however, and even Locke Watch might have to take a gap year.

I think Woodard's draft range is about 28-40. I don't really think he's a candidate for #23. I think the Jazz would look at him in a trade-back scenario.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#467 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Catchall wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:I was listening to him on 1280 the other day. He was backtracking hard on Woodard. He was like "he has everything athelticism/physical attributes-wise but nothing else is sure with him"

I think Woodard's draft range is about 28-40. I don't really think he's a candidate for #23. I think the Jazz would look at him in a trade-back scenario.

If the Jazz want someone, they will reach for him. No one had Grayson Allen as a FRP, but we still took him at #21. We were probably going to take Paschall if we didn't trade out pick last year too.

I said this before, but it's really feeling like a repeat of the Huerter/Allen draft. We're probably hoping for someone to fall (my guess is Green), but if that guy is off the board as expected we're going to take Woodard. If this wasn't a covid year, I'd be 100% confident in it because Locke hasn't failed to leak the pick.
stitches
RealGM

Post#468 » by stitches » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:44 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

2011 - Alec Burks
2012 - No FRP
2013 - Rudy Gobert
2014 - Rodney Hood
2015 - Trey Lyles
2018 - Grayson Allen
2019 - Implied trade

Haven't had time to watch seriously(just a few highlights). He looks a bit like a bigger Zhaire Smith version. Let me ask this question then - is he better than Miye Oni?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#469 » by babyjax13 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 pm

I think he knows that the FO likes Josh Green, but McDaniels is the other name they are kicking around. I also think we may be trying to trade up for Maxey, but that is more of a hunch. We also have already heard that the FO is looking to buy a second round pick, so maybe Woodard is less smoke and mirrors and more a possibility if we buy a pick from Philly, Sacramento, or New Orleans.

Also, I think the FO is excited by Oni, and sees him as a combo-guard. Some of the stuff we saw in the bubble + stuff I've seen with him playing in the offseason makes me think he'll be on the regular season roster getting 15 minutes a game, and will effectively replace Mudiay.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#470 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:54 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Catchall wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

If the Jazz want someone, they will reach for him. No one had Grayson Allen as a FRP, but we still took him at #21. We were probably going to take Paschall if we didn't trade out pick last year too.

I said this before, but it's really feeling like a repeat of the Huerter/Allen draft. We're probably hoping for someone to fall (my guess is Green), but if that guy is off the board as expected we're going to take Woodard. If this wasn't a covid year, I'd be 100% confident in it because Locke hasn't failed to leak the pick.

I think Justin Zanik and new ownership throw a curve to the logic of 2018. The Jazz were reportedly one of the teams that inquired about the #6 pick from Atlanta. I think they'll be aggressive. Maybe all of their efforts will get rebuffed, but I think they're going to take some swings.

I think they really like Patrick Williams, Devin Vassell, Aaron Nesmith and Tyrese Maxey. I wouldn't be surprised if they considered going after Poku. I don't think they want to sit back and passively wait for Desmond Bane, Tyler Bey or Robert Woodard to drop to them at #23. There are also a bunch of guys I could see them go after in the 2nd round.

FWIW, I think the Jazz might take Paul Reed or Tyler Bey ahead of Woodard.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#471 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:22 pm

We’re all kind of talking out of our ass when trying to predict what the FO is thinking...but Locke has been solid for nearly a decade at leaking this stuff so I trust the tea leaves there more than anything else. Certainly more than my own draft opinions or a rumor from Reddit.

I also think new ownership and Zanik promotion don’t change anything about the process. Walt Perrin leaving probably has real impact...who knows, maybe he was the one telling Locke everything.

Confirmed interviews and workouts are solid info too...I think we have a confirmed interview for Maxey and confirmed workout for Green. Don’t recall anyone else.

EDIT: We’ve had zoom interviews with Maledon, Maxey, Lewis, and Nesmith.

I also just don’t believe in any trade up scenario because we have nothing to trade. No seconds, no future firsts. We’re not trading anyone in the rotation. Bogey, O’Neale, Ingles etc are not being moved. I can guarantee that. All three have significantly more value to the Jazz than they do on the trade market. Conley deal doesn’t make sense in a trade up scenario because his only value is as an expiring contract. Buying a second, particularly past 50, is something I can see however.

I think McDaniels, Tyler Bey, Maledon, and Bane have been included in discussions just because they are close to us in mock drafts. If Locke had real intel on those guys, he’d be talking more about them. But maybe he just doesn’t have the intel this year. Would be surprised if we take one of them.

I’m operating under the mindset that it will be Green if he’s available, if not Woodard will be the pick. Slight chance of someone like Anthony or Maxey slipping and we could end up taking them. Green is the only player I like out of these four, so I’m hoping he’s there for us.
stitches
RealGM

Post#472 » by stitches » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:35 pm

KqWIN wrote:EDIT: We’ve had zoom interviews with Maledon, Maxey, Lewis, and Nesmith.

This sounds like we have a serious interest in the primary or secondary ballhandlers in our range. Interesting. I don't mind it... I just wonder if we can glean anything from it about the possibility we lose Clarkson in FA.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#473 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:45 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:EDIT: We’ve had zoom interviews with Maledon, Maxey, Lewis, and Nesmith.

This sounds like we have a serious interest in the primary or secondary ballhandlers in our range. Interesting. I don't mind it... I just wonder if we can glean anything from it about the possibility we lose Clarkson in FA.

I think with the new lower cap we can't use full MLE and resign Clarkson. Maybe we have someone in FA that we like at MLE more than Clarkson. It would make sense, Clarkson really exceeded my expectations last season but he is a luxury player for this roster. We have so many ball handlers, Clarkson really isn't a necessity. If we can get a good wing or 3/4 combo with the MLE that's probably a better way to allocate resources.

All of these guys except for Maledon are typically mocked a little bit higher than #23. I still don't see a trade up scenario. To me this kind of signals that the Jazz are doing their due diligence in case someone drops. Everyone says this is an eye of the beholder draft so I think it's reasonable to expect that several players are going to rise/drop from their expected draft ranges.

Personally, I really like Maledon. I think it's rare to find a young prospect who was also decent in the Euroleague at #23.
stitches
RealGM

Post#474 » by stitches » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:49 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

I think with the new lower cap we can't use full MLE and resign Clarkson. Maybe we have someone in FA that we like at MLE more than Clarkson. It would make sense, Clarkson really exceeded my expectations last season but he is a luxury player for this roster. We have so many ball handlers, Clarkson really isn't a necessity. If we can get a good wing or 3/4 combo with the MLE that's probably a better way to allocate resources.

All of these guys except for Maledon are typically mocked a little bit higher than #23. I still don't see a trade up scenario. To me this kind of signals that the Jazz are doing their due diligence in case someone drops. Everyone says this is an eye of the beholder draft so I think it's reasonable to expect that several players are going to rise/drop from their expected draft ranges.

Personally, I really like Maledon. I think it's rare to find a young prospect who was also decent in the Euroleague at #23.

I think Maledon is one of the better prospects I've seen this year. From the ones that can reasonably drop to us, that is... him and Pokusevski.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#475 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:54 pm

stitches wrote:

I would glean more that the Jazz might be willing to move Conley, put Mitchell at the 1, and complement him longer term with a guard who can play both on and off the ball. Clarkson is really a sparkplug off the bench.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#476 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:This sounds like we have a serious interest in the primary or secondary ballhandlers in our range. Interesting. I don't mind it... I just wonder if we can glean anything from it about the possibility we lose Clarkson in FA.

I think Maledon is one of the better prospects I've seen this year. From the ones that can reasonably drop to us, that is... him and Pokusevski.

It's odd. I always remembered him being in the top 10 for early mock drafts. I feel like I've known about him for a couple years now and I can't figure out why he's dropped. He doesn't jump off the screen, but surely people have known that for awhile. His production over time has only made me more impressed. I can see why Anthony and Maxey dropped, but still can't figure out what happened to Maledon. Gives me deja vu with Rudy dropping right before the draft.

Some way to early mocks:

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2019/07/31/way-too-early-2020-nba-lottery-mock-draft/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842188-a-way-too-soon-2020-nba-lottery-mock-draft

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-way-too-early-2020-nba-mock-draft-153527450.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABPmLBmImZXqblrKb2u7oFCWROJBkXobph8bE0EGpL7cbOOfhI18bIYJbdTDxYopNSRjrHQTWpLBkOI7aiMw1E2x0wORwdI6GH6T7r8j4y74z_eHfpesm8oAwZc1DqRBc5Mzr4AUi_RIXGxFvVnMZIyfAhtROHllTvboe8Jdoosr

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/articles/way_too_early_2020_nba_mock_draft/s1__29358926#slide_6
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#477 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:37 am

Hollinger saying the Josh Green interest is known, Bane interest also mention which was corroborated by Tony Jones:

23. Utah – Josh Green, SG, Arizona
The Green drumbeat from Utah has been pretty loud, and one can see why a big guard who can defend and has playmaking capability might be a pretty attractive idea for a team like the Jazz.

Green’s background wasn’t totally clean but not anywhere near red flag territory either, and starting in the late teens a lot of teams are looking closely at him. He has size at 6-6, pretty good feet at the defensive end, and his shot isn’t broken. Once again, the big picture for draft night is that midsize players have a wind at their back while the point guards and centers swim against the tide.

Utah also has the same group of centers noted above as possibilities here, and nobody would be surprised if they went for Desmond Bane either (more on him below).

https://theathletic.com/2188482/2020/11/10/2020-nba-mock-draft-whos-going-where-in-the-first-round/
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#478 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:06 am

I would certainly go with #LockeWatch with the draft tea leaves. I don’t listen to Locke’s podcast often, primarily a time constraint issue, but I did listen to a couple this weekend. I found interesting something he said about Conley. He said that Conley running the second unit would be really interesting to him. Reading between the lines, I view this as either the Jazz aren't bringing back Clarkson and setting up expectations of that in a subtle way for fans, or perhaps minimizing Conley if the Jazz are thinking of trading him, once again setting expectations, in this instance his value not being what they paid to get him in the first place.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#479 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:37 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I would certainly go with #LockeWatch with the draft tea leaves. I don’t listen to Locke’s podcast often, primarily a time constraint issue, but I did listen to a couple this weekend. I found interesting something he said about Conley. He said that Conley running the second unit would be really interesting to him. Reading between the lines, I view this as either the Jazz aren't bringing back Clarkson and setting up expectations of that in a subtle way for fans, or perhaps minimizing Conley if the Jazz are thinking of trading him, once again setting expectations, in this instance his value not being what they paid to get him in the first place.

I found that interesting as well. I definitely took it as Conley is going to be the second unit guy (even if he starts) and that Clarkson might not be back. His tone on Conley has changed. Throughout the season, he kept saying Conley is the guy we thought we traded for. Big time PG, high level player ect. Now he's backing off of that and basically saying that Conley is filling a role that this team needs. I also get the vibe from him that the franchise knows that Mitchell is the primary ball handler first and foremost, and everyone stacks in line behind him. Thumbs up from me. I hated that we were chasing a "PG" to play with Mitchell for so long.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#480 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:48 am

I wonder what's up with Josh Green's background. I saw another report that said he's slipping, I wonder if it's because of these issues?

Return to Utah Jazz