If the Jazz wanted to trade Mike Conley...

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: If the Jazz wanted to trade Mike Conley... 

Post#141 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:14 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Here's the reason why I think it's smart to add longer term salary right now. Conley won't opt out so we're talking about 2021 Summer.

Keep Conley (doesn't resign)

Cap Space: $0
Exceptions: Full MLE and BAE

Keep Conley (resigns)

Trade Conley for Love/Paul/Griffin/Horford

As you can see, the financial situation is the same from a team building standpoint. The only difference is money out of the Millers' pockets. The Jazz will be at the cap and far below the luxury tax whatever route they go. It's actually more beneficial to hold a higher team salary because you can then have more salary available for trade. Even if Conley continues to be bad, it still serves the Jazz to give him big money in a short term deal to serve as trade ballast.

I don't disagree with the premise of taking on salary right now as the Jazz will be limited in free agency in the future cap-wise once Gobert and Mitchell are extended, but it does seem to me that the luxury tax limit would be exceeded for at least 2021 if Love or Horford or similar contract is taken on. Keeping Conley avoids the luxury tax, which probably means that the Jazz are unlikely to do a deal like this.

You're right, I was missing a salary. The Jazz won't go into the tax so I guess these long term salary deals are moot.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#142 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jan 8, 2020 1:52 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Why?
Horford seems to me to be more of a center or hybrid PF/C, whereas Love is more PF and better scorer outside of paint and rebounder than Horford- not to mention two years younger. Love would, to me, seem to be better paired with Gobert than Horford.

Because Horford is a better player. He's more durable and plays more games per season than Love. Horford doesn't throw temper tantrums. He's a better defender. The Jazz don't need either guy to pair with Gobert, they need a big off the bench and in a back up role capacity IMO. Our offense is really good this season, and they don't need major offense from the PF/C position, they just decent/average/acceptable offense from that spot and Horford provides decent enough offense. Also our lineup of Gobert-Royce-Bogey-Ingles-Mitchell is killing it and I don't think we need and upgrade there.

That being said, I don't want either guy. Their ages and contracts suck. As much as I'm not a Conley fan, I'd rather just keep him instead of trading for either of those two. I was just stating that if I had to pick 1 of the 2 I'd prefer Horford.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#143 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:52 am

Rauxcee wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Why?
Horford seems to me to be more of a center or hybrid PF/C, whereas Love is more PF and better scorer outside of paint and rebounder than Horford- not to mention two years younger. Love would, to me, seem to be better paired with Gobert than Horford.

Because Horford is a better player. He's more durable and plays more games per season than Love. Horford doesn't throw temper tantrums. He's a better defender. The Jazz don't need either guy to pair with Gobert, they need a big off the bench and in a back up role capacity IMO. Our offense is really good this season, and they don't need major offense from the PF/C position, they just decent/average/acceptable offense from that spot and Horford provides decent enough offense. Also our lineup of Gobert-Royce-Bogey-Ingles-Mitchell is killing it and I don't think we need and upgrade there.

That being said, I don't want either guy. Their ages and contracts suck. As much as I'm not a Conley fan, I'd rather just keep him instead of trading for either of those two. I was just stating that if I had to pick 1 of the 2 I'd prefer Horford.

Outside of this year (when Cleveland is a disaster), when has Love ever been rumored to be a difficult teammate?

I'm against trading for either of them. Horford is too old, on a long contract. Love is, too, but it's not nearly egregious in terms of years/age. Horford will be 37 at the end of his contract.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#144 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:19 am

Rauxcee wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Why?

So your thinking back up big? Then I'd stay with Bradley. cheap and is getting good minutes for a back up and playing well. Conley's two year is better than Love or Horford four year deals because we can bring Conley off the bench and will be off the books in no more than two years and who knows? Maybe he'll pick it up with this bench?? Worth a try.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#145 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:26 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Outside of this year (when Cleveland is a disaster), when has Love ever been rumored to be a difficult teammate?

I'm against trading for either of them. Horford is too old, on a long contract. Love is, too, but it's not nearly egregious in terms of years/age. Horford will be 37 at the end of his contract.

Nowhere in my post did I say he was a difficult teammate. He has however repeatedly acted unprofessional this season. He's not that good of a player to behave that way despite his frustrations. He volunteered to sign with a rebuilding Cavs team that is going nowhere, and now he's got a problem with it after he got his money? I don't care for that. Also, I just don't think he's that good of a player.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant

Post#146 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:37 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:So your thinking back up big? Then I'd stay with Bradley. cheap and is getting good minutes for a back up and playing well. Conley's two year is better than Love or Horford four year deals because we can bring Conley off the bench and will be off the books in no more than two years and who knows? Maybe he'll pick it up with this bench?? Worth a try.

A backup big is what I think we need the most, others may disagree. I'm still kinda meh about Bradley. He has been better than I expected- mostly didn't expect him to be able to hang with second tier talent but he's getting by. His defensive IQ kills me though. I forget he's only 22, and he could still learn on that end (he has looked better recently). But his lack of athleticism is really going to make it hard against any team with above average Big's, especially if they have any athletic ability.

I think the Jazz are stuck with Bradley regardless if they want to be or not. I don't really see how they can improve that spot with the limitations in assets and cap they have.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#147 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:42 am

Rauxcee wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Nowhere in my post did I say he was a difficult teammate. He has however repeatedly acted unprofessional this season. He's not that good of a player to behave that way despite his frustrations. He volunteered to sign with a rebuilding Cavs team that is going nowhere, and now he's got a problem with it after he got his money? I don't care for that. Also, I just don't think he's that good of a player.

I kinda liked Love and think he might fit good and take Jazz to high level but after watching him throw a fit the other night just turned me off. Been a good teammate mostly but that night that moment. Only way I take Love now is with first round picks. which isn't gonna happen so I'm ready to see what Conley can do leading our bench. Not starting unit.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#148 » by Wolverine » Wed Jan 8, 2020 6:14 am

In his defence it would be frustrating playing under that ‘system’ I’ve been watching Dante play there and it’s tough to watch. The basketball is horrible. We shift wry one down a position or DM 1, Joe 2 etc and we would be badass!
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#149 » by Winglish » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:13 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:I'd be looking at Conley for Love deal. D.M 1 Bojon 2 Ingles 3 Love 4 with Gobert 5. Going to be slow white guys but smart players that could flat out light up the 3 point line. Love is still pretty good rebounder which this team is really in need of. Love loves Utah I think has a home here? Trade works straight up. Love is 4 year deal to Conleys 2 years.
I would also deal Conley for Love straight up.

Rumor has it Cleveland wants a pick for Love, which is something I would not give up.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#150 » by Winglish » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:17 am

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Horford and Neto for Conley.
I'd do that deal also.

@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#151 » by @ndrew » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:43 am

Winglish wrote:
I'd do that deal also.

Well, Sixers do not need that and Horford was not happy with his offensive role. And we have to many guns. Love is a better option, since he is better spot Shooter.

It seems like we are doing quite fine without classic pg and we have people who can bring ball to another half of the floor.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#152 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jan 8, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm not sold on Tony Bradley, at least yet. He seems unathletic, slow and incapable of protecting the rim to me, although I'll admit his overall play has been better this year. I am also not sold on Conley being a good fit either, even if he gets healthy and starts playing better, as he is small and takes the ball out of DM's hands.

So, if I were the Jazz, I would entertain the following:
Jazz out- Conley, Bradley.
Jazz in- Henson and Love

Cavs out- Love and Henson and FRP
Cavs in- Horford

76ers out- Horford
76ers in- Conley, Bradley, Cavs FRP.

(edit: Picks would be adjusted, such as the FRP being from 76ers)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yj25vklb

Love gives the Jazz a scoring PF and Henson a rim protecting backup big. With Rudy guarding the paint, Love doesn't need to play out of his comfort zone trying to protect the rim, but will still be able to match up against teams having two bigs better than the Jazz are able to currently. If teams go small ball, and Love can't keep up on the perimeter, then a combination of Royce, Ingles and Bojan is an easy substitution. The Jazz will have to pay the luxury tax for a season, but Love could be the missing piece, whereas I don't see Conley or Bradley being that piece.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#153 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jan 8, 2020 9:57 pm

Remember when everyone was clamoring for Tobias Harris?

Love vs Tobias this season:

http://bkref.com/tiny/6VpNo (surprisingly similar stats outside of Love's rebounding)

Love's defensive deficiencies would be at least somewhat masked playing with Gobert at his back, IMO.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#154 » by @ndrew » Thu Jan 9, 2020 3:33 pm

Kevin Love would be nice fit and the pg position can be easily replaced as we figured out. So let's hope Cavs will make another trade with us :) 2nd round draft pick is available.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#155 » by Wolverine » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 am

Horford is not looking good right now
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#156 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:11 am

@ndrew wrote:
Winglish wrote:
I'd do that deal also.

Well, Sixers do not need that and Horford was not happy with his offensive role. And we have to many guns. Love is a better option, since he is better spot Shooter.

It seems like we are doing quite fine without classic pg and we have people who can bring ball to another half of the floor.

With Joel out for while Horford will be getting a bigger role.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#157 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:19 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
@ndrew wrote:
Winglish wrote:I'd do that deal also.

With Joel out for while Horford will be getting a bigger role.

Yes, with Embiid out, Horford started at Center and had an impressive stat line in a big win over the Celtics last night. But I don't think I want to get involved with a contract that pays a player max money through age 37, though adding Horford would probably make us a serious title contender this season. And as stated in post #141 above, Jazz don't want to go in to the luxury tax.

Can we work out something to trade Mike Conley for the younger Derrick Favors plus Dante Exum? Their combined salaries are pretty close. Just kidding.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#158 » by eLo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Winglish wrote:
I'd do that deal also.

a good one, as Horford would be great for Jazz, and i dont thin Sixers need him much, plus lets be honest his contract is far from good on, they should give us a 1rd as they would saved up like about 60 mln$ :P

It interestin what would have to happened so Jazz would consider trading Conley, the most expensive spoke person in the word :) Its not like i dont believe in Mike, the thing is we dont need him as much as we need good big next to Gob
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#159 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 pm

There was some noise earlier this month of a Horford plus pick for Love swap between the 76ers and Cavs, as Horford and Embiid pairing hasn't worked (makes one wonder if the same thing would happen with Gobert and Horford) and Love wants out of Cleveland and the Cavs are looking to save money and acquire assets in their rebuild.

If the Jazz wanted to trade Conley, the 76ers really just need a shooter and could fit him into the starting lineup as they have a 6'10" guard who can switch, but not shoot.

Jazz in- Love
76ers in- Conley
Cavs in- Horford and FRP

Works on trade machine http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=wlptopz
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#160 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:36 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:There was some noise earlier this month of a Horford plus pick for Love swap between the 76ers and Cavs, as Horford and Embiid pairing hasn't worked (makes one wonder if the same thing would happen with Gobert and Horford) and Love wants out of Cleveland and the Cavs are looking to save money and acquire assets in their rebuild.

If the Jazz wanted to trade Conley, the 76ers really just need a shooter and could fit him into the starting lineup as they have a 6'10" guard who can switch, but not shoot.

Jazz in- Love
76ers in- Conley
Cavs in- Horford and FRP

Works on trade machine http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=wlptopz

Plus 4 wins for jazz other two teams lose couple. Jazz take on about 58 million which I don't really like. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=vr8jm8r Might need a PG back in deal.

Return to Utah Jazz