Realistic trade targets?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Re: Realistic trade targets? 

Post#101 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:20 am

I think the Jazz are one player away, and I'm afraid that player isn't Mike Conley. I think that one player is an athletic, two-way forward who can attack off the dribble.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#102 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:12 am

Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz are one player away, and I'm afraid that player isn't Mike Conley. I think that one player is an athletic, two-way forward who can attack off the dribble.

I hate agreeing with a Giants fan, but I think you’re right. A stretch big who can guard in space and provide some rim protection would be the other type of player. I was really concerned that the Mavs might exploit their size and stretchiness more than they did today.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#103 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:15 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz are one player away, and I'm afraid that player isn't Mike Conley. I think that one player is an athletic, two-way forward who can attack off the dribble.

I hate agreeing with a Giants fan, but I think you’re right. A stretch big who can guard in space and provide some rim protection would be the other type of player. I was really concerned that the Mavs might exploit their size and stretchiness more than they did today.

Perhaps a Jeff-Green-type? :wink:

I agree, but instead they went with Tucker, who is a 6'3" freak athlete, guard, who has awesome physical tools, but appears to be a season away from making any real impact. Maybe we'll see Brantley playing on the varsity team soon. He's been beasting the G-League lately:

News: 2 days ago: Brantley tallied 25 points (11-19 FG, 1-3 3Pt, 2-3 FT) along with nine rebounds in an overtime win over Stockton on Friday.

Spin: The rookie continued an extended hot stretch in which he has averaged 21.7 points over his last 13 contests. Though he has logged only nine minutes of NBA action this season, Brantley is making a name for himself in the G League with per-game averages of 19.0 points and 7.5 rebounds.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3912292/jarrell-brantley
Catchall
RealGM

Post#104 » by Catchall » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 am

zero24gravity wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I agree, but instead they went with Tucker, who is a 6'3" freak athlete, guard, who has awesome physical tools, but appears to be a season away from making any real impact. Maybe we'll see Brantley playing on the varsity team soon. He's been beasting the G-League lately:

News: 2 days ago: Brantley tallied 25 points (11-19 FG, 1-3 3Pt, 2-3 FT) along with nine rebounds in an overtime win over Stockton on Friday.

Spin: The rookie continued an extended hot stretch in which he has averaged 21.7 points over his last 13 contests. Though he has logged only nine minutes of NBA action this season, Brantley is making a name for himself in the G League with per-game averages of 19.0 points and 7.5 rebounds.

We want someone who more or less looks like Jeff Green, but is interested enough to play hard. Brantley is an interesting player. His measurements are the same as Draymond (height & wingspan) and he has a versatile, all-around game that can fit in. He just needs to boost his 3pt shooting from 31% to about 37%.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#105 » by eLo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Catchall wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I hate agreeing with a Giants fan, but I think you’re right. A stretch big who can guard in space and provide some rim protection would be the other type of player. I was really concerned that the Mavs might exploit their size and stretchiness more than they did today.

We want someone who more or less looks like Jeff Green, but is interested enough to play hard. Brantley is an interesting player. His measurements are the same as Draymond (height & wingspan) and he has a versatile, all-around game that can fit in. He just needs to boost his 3pt shooting from 31% to about 37%.

in our situation i think Brantley don need to boost any thing he should be playing already in Jazz uni
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#106 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 am

I'm ready for Chris Paul. Conley for Paul. I think we are one player away from being a championship caliber team and the frontrunner out West. Conley was supposed to be that guy, but he's not. Even if he gets healthy, it seems he's lost a step. Don't blame him at all, still one of my favorite players ever, still a great guy...but I want a championship. That being said, I'm not adding any assets to Conley to make it happen. Paul's last year (and every year) is UGLY.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#107 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 am

Of course, if Conley isn't a good fit because he needs the ball, then Paul might not be, either.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#108 » by Joel Embust » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Monte Morris or Aaron Holiday?
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#109 » by Rauxcee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:13 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Of course, if Conley isn't a good fit because he needs the ball, then Paul might not be, either.

While the fit might not be better, at least Paul is a competent ball player, is a good decesion maker, and plays with passion instead of the "ah shucks" attitude.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#110 » by CAE15 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Joel Embust wrote:Monte Morris or Aaron Holiday?
I would love either of those guys but we don't have the assets for either one. Well of guys we would move at least.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#111 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:16 am

Posted this, kinda like it:

Utah trades: Mike Conley, Ed Davis, Nigel Williams-Goss, Emmanuel Mudiay 2024 UTA 1st (top 10 protected, 2 2nds)
Utah receives: Patty Mills, DeMarre Carroll, Marco Belinelli, Derrick White
Why Utah does it: Utah cuts down on their salary obligations for next season, while also adding two guards who seem like perfect fits in Quin's system (in Mills and White). Marco can reclaim the Kyle Korver role from last season as a bomber that can come in for 10 minutes a game, and while Carroll has sucked, he's at least a good hypothetical fit at power forward for us. Carroll's last year is guarenteed for $1.35 million, so we are reducing cap commitments next season, but slightly increasing them the season after. Ideally Mills would be replaced with Rudy Gay here, but that might be asking too much. (to be clear, this reduces our salary commitment next year by about $16 million, which is why I think the second trade is appropriate).

San Antonio trades: Patty Mills, DeMarre Carroll, Marco Belinelli, Derrick White, Bryn Forbes
San Antonio receives: Mike Conley, Nigel Williams-Goss (released?), Emmanuel Mudiay, 2020 GSW 2nd, 2024 UTA 1st (top 10 protected, 2 2nds)
San Antonio kicks the tires on Conley, who I think would look much better in their system. They also add what basically amounts to two late firsts (obviously the Warriors pick is in the 2nd round, but it will be one of the first three picks) and can take a look at Mudiay who has actually been pretty good in Utah (and would likely benefit a lot from being coached by both Pop and Quin Snyder in the same season). This seems to fit with the Spurs' overall trajectory. Remain competitive, fill out the roster with young role players, when the old guys retire, hopefully those players are ready to be a good supporting cast to whoever they draft.

Dallas trades: 2020 GSW 2nd
Dallas receives: Ed Davis (via TPE), Bryn Forbes (via TPE)
Why Dallas does it: Honestly the main motivation is going to be to get a larger TPE than they currently have, while also adding some rotation level players (see below).

Trade 2:
Utah trades: nada
Dallas trades: Courtney Lee, 2020 UTA 2nd
And there it is, a slightly larger TPE. Lee is expiring, so it isn't a huge deal for Utah to take him. We also get back our 2nd round pick, which meh, but is at least something.

Depth chart:
Rudy/Bradley
Royce/Bojan/Carroll
Bojan/Joe/Clarkson
Joe/Clarkson/White
Donovan/White/Patty

Some kind of follow up would need to happen because we'd be jammed at the guard positions. Maybe a swap of Patty Mills for Cody Zeller. So...

Rudy/Zeller/Bradley
Royce/Bojan/Carroll
Bojan/Joe/Clarkson
Joe/Clarkson/White
Donovan/White

JColl
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#112 » by raleigh » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:30 pm

Davis and some 2nds for Jabari Parker work for you all?
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#113 » by goober » Sat Feb 1, 2020 11:33 pm

In regards to Chris Paul, he’s like 3rd in usage on his team, i don’t think he would have issues fitting in here
Catchall
RealGM

Post#114 » by Catchall » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:28 am

Teams that are trying to get guys off their roster to rebuild and/or avoid luxury tax:

-- Golden State: Burks, Robinson III, etc. etc.
-- OKC: CP3, Adams, Gallinari, maybe Schroeder, maybe Noel
-- Detroit: Drummond, Rose, Morris, Kennard, etc. etc.
-- Cleveland: Love, Thompson, etc.
-- Orlando: Fournier, Ross, Augustin, maybe Vucevic, maybe Gordon

Guys I think the Jazz would be interested in:

-- Schroeder and Noel from OKC
-- Portis and maybe Randle from NYK
-- Nance from Cle
-- Robinson III from GSW
-- Gordon or even Vucevic from Orl
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#115 » by goober » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:44 pm

NWG, Es Davis, and Niang is enough salary to net us Thad Young. we add a couple seconds and do you think Chicago takes it? we can then promote Juwan Morgan to the active roster as well and chicago can just cut some scrubs.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#116 » by Catchall » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:53 pm

To illustrate the problem with our defense in the 2nd unit, imagine taking Ed Davis off the floor and replacing him with Steven Adams. If the Jazz want to play small guards like Conley and Clarkson who want the ball, want to shoot and are limited defensively, then we need to have a legit defensive presence on the floor along with them. Ed Davis isn't that guy. Tony Bradley isn't entirely that guy either, but he's bigger than Ed is at least.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#117 » by Tom349 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:46 am

Catchall wrote:To illustrate the problem with our defense in the 2nd unit, imagine taking Ed Davis off the floor and replacing him with Steven Adams. If the Jazz want to play small guards like Conley and Clarkson who want the ball, want to shoot and are limited defensively, then we need to have a legit defensive presence on the floor along with them. Ed Davis isn't that guy. Tony Bradley isn't entirely that guy either, but he's bigger than Ed is at least.

You want to pay 25 million for 14 minutes a night of Steven Adams?

Thad Young is the best suggestion so far, a guy whose impact doesn't show up in the box score most nights but does so much off the ball (mostly defensively) which makes it difficult for the opposition. I actually think Juwan Morgan could be that guy for us.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#118 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:05 am

Tom349 wrote:
Catchall wrote:To illustrate the problem with our defense in the 2nd unit, imagine taking Ed Davis off the floor and replacing him with Steven Adams. If the Jazz want to play small guards like Conley and Clarkson who want the ball, want to shoot and are limited defensively, then we need to have a legit defensive presence on the floor along with them. Ed Davis isn't that guy. Tony Bradley isn't entirely that guy either, but he's bigger than Ed is at least.

Thad Young is the best suggestion so far, a guy whose impact doesn't show up in the box score most nights but does so much off the ball (mostly defensively) which makes it difficult for the opposition. I actually think Juwan Morgan could be that guy for us.

No, I'm pointing to an example of a big, physical defensive center that you need to have if your guards are as limited defensively as Conley and Clarkson.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#119 » by Tom349 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:04 am

Catchall wrote:
Tom349 wrote:

No, I'm pointing to an example of a big, physical defensive center that you need to have if your guards are as limited defensively as Conley and Clarkson.

Big physical defensive centers don't play back up minutes and cost 15m a season minimum. Regardless our issue is our off the ball defense which a different back up center isn't going to fix. Guys aren't making the right read and rotating to make execute that read. Clarkson and Bogey in particular are awful at rotating.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#120 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:05 pm

Tom349 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
Tom349 wrote:

Big physical defensive centers don't play back up minutes and cost 15m a season minimum. Regardless our issue is our off the ball defense which a different back up center isn't going to fix. Guys aren't making the right read and rotating to make execute that read. Clarkson and Bogey in particular are awful at rotating.

The Jazz's defensive scheme has been to funnel the offensive player to the big. They do it instinctively all game, and they rotate players interchangeably. They need a defensive backup big. Baynes costs under $5M.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz