Exum Traded to Cavs for Jordan Clarkson

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Exum Traded to Cavs for Jordan Clarkson 

Post#61 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Jazztop wrote:We get nothing with Clarkson but the picks can be useful and Exum was simply a bad investment - with both the pick and the extension. Not as bad some Jazz fans make out but after 5 years we know he wasn’t going to give us anything. Happy to move on.

The Jazz were the ones who gave away the two picks.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#62 » by Jazztop » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Jazztop wrote:We get nothing with Clarkson but the picks can be useful and Exum was simply a bad investment - with both the pick and the extension. Not as bad some Jazz fans make out but after 5 years we know he wasn’t going to give us anything. Happy to move on.

Ok my bad. That’s a downer and makes less sense.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#63 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:43 pm

tugs wrote:Clarkson started off as a PG with the Lakers, this was before they drafted Russell. He was a solid PnR player with a consistent midrange J and floater, and gets the ball in rolls and pops for his bigs. Had great chemistry with the likes of Carlos Boozer and Ed Davis.

Just throwing it out there since for sure this aspect of his game has been overshadowed by his scoring.

It'll be interesting what his role would be under Coach Q.

It would be nice if Jordan could help Davis get a bucket or two, though helping Davis isn't going to be his focus. Davis' per 36 min numbers on offense have fallen off a cliff this season to arrive at horrible and barely discernible.

I am optimistic that Clarkson can give our bench a good boost on offense. But I hope his help on offense is not outweighed by poor defense. He has a lot of poor defensive ratings. But I found one that wasn't negative: DRPM this season at +0.19.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#64 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:25 pm

I think fans will like Clarkson, at least at first. He'll look much better next to our underwhelming bench players.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#65 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:46 pm

pickIBL wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I'm surprised how so many folks came out saying dante would not be moved.... now... crickets.

And? One day Mitchell might be traded? Where's the people that said Exum wouldn't make a living in the NBA? Looks like other teams see value in the kid and are willing to take a chance on him. Not sure what your point is?

I'm sorry but that's a weak statement. Most players dont stay with the same team their entire career.

Situations arise and you gotta make a call. We are talking about specific scenarios with finite parameters.

One example was should gordon be traded pre emptively or not. Most folks were in the no trade camp. They were wrong. The minority was right.

This fall a contigent of fans thought no way dante would be moved. This was despite the fact he hasnt developed, is oft injured, has the only sizable contract to bring anything back, and the jazz had just gone chips in with senior citizen conley.

It was clear dante was the most likely piece to be moved. Somehow the obvious evaded a sizeable contigent. Because the arguments made where waaay off.

I was in the let Hayward walk or trade camp didn't feel he was a max player. Good yeah max no. I was in the groom Dante camp but that time has passed with the win now camp and Jordan C gives us the win now mold. Your acting like Dante never had or has a chance to become a good player and all cocky now the jazz moved out of the grooming mold to win mold. plz don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. But crap if that'll make you feel better about yourself. Plz throw one on your back for me while your at it!
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#66 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
tugs wrote:Clarkson started off as a PG with the Lakers, this was before they drafted Russell. He was a solid PnR player with a consistent midrange J and floater, and gets the ball in rolls and pops for his bigs. Had great chemistry with the likes of Carlos Boozer and Ed Davis.

Just throwing it out there since for sure this aspect of his game has been overshadowed by his scoring.

It would be nice if Jordan could help Davis get a bucket or two, though helping Davis isn't going to be his focus. Davis' per 36 min numbers on offense have fallen off a cliff this season to arrive at horrible and barely discernible.

I am optimistic that Clarkson can give our bench a good boost on offense. But I hope his help on offense is not outweighed by poor defense. He has a lot of poor defense ratings. But I found one that wasn't negative: DRPM this season at +0.19.

I think Bradley is already ahead of Davis and has earned that time. Until Davis starts killing it on the boards and D he's not worth playing that back up minutes. And I had high hopes when he was signed.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#67 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:51 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Not sure 2nd round picks are that big of deal today? Jazz seam to be able to find players that are cast offs or just not even drafted? Just my own thought.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#68 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Denizfeital wrote:Exum was a completely waste for The Jazz. A bust. Nothing against the guy, seems to be a nice fella. 5 years paying high amount of money for nothing.

My wife, who doesn’t follow The Jazz as close as I do, (not even close), used to mention him as “that guy who is never healthy”. That says a ton.

I am glad he left. It is not like he was fired. He still will be able to manage tons of millions of dollars regardless. Good for him, good for The Jazz. A win win situation.

Regards.

Key here was never healthy. I think we all seen times where Exum gave us high hope. His teammates talked highly about his work habits so I really think It boils down the health and jazz in the win now mold and had real high hopes starting the year and not living up to expectations and needed to really make some moves. It's nice to get Jordan and his scoring ability which the jazz are in dyer need of off the bench.Which is why Davis shouldn't be playing back up minutes over the better scorer Bradley.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#69 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:28 pm

More random stats for Jordan Clarkson: He is ranked # 21 for point guards on Real Plus Minus at 1.53 and #22 on WINS at 1.03. He's got a 19.3 PER.

Clarkson is also listed as a shooting guard and can likely play alongside any of our guards. I know Mudiay isn't very popular here, but I hope Mudiay continues to get some regular rotation minutes even though Clarkson will likely be getting at least 20 mpg. I think Mudiay is playable and is making some progress.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#70 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:30 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

I am optimistic that Clarkson can give our bench a good boost on offense. But I hope his help on offense is not outweighed by poor defense. He has a lot of poor defense ratings. But I found one that wasn't negative: DRPM this season at +0.19.

I think Bradley is already ahead of Davis and has earned that time. Until Davis starts killing it on the boards and D he's not worth playing that back up minutes. And I had high hopes when he was signed.

I'd like to see Bradley get more opportunity too.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#71 » by pickIBL » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:40 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:And? One day Mitchell might be traded? Where's the people that said Exum wouldn't make a living in the NBA? Looks like other teams see value in the kid and are willing to take a chance on him. Not sure what your point is?

I'm sorry but that's a weak statement. Most players dont stay with the same team their entire career.

Situations arise and you gotta make a call. We are talking about specific scenarios with finite parameters.

One example was should gordon be traded pre emptively or not. Most folks were in the no trade camp. They were wrong. The minority was right.

This fall a contigent of fans thought no way dante would be moved. This was despite the fact he hasnt developed, is oft injured, has the only sizable contract to bring anything back, and the jazz had just gone chips in with senior citizen conley.

It was clear dante was the most likely piece to be moved. Somehow the obvious evaded a sizeable contigent. Because the arguments made where waaay off.

I was in the let Hayward walk or trade camp didn't feel he was a max player. Good yeah max no. I was in the groom Dante camp but that time has passed with the win now camp and Jordan C gives us the win now mold. Your acting like Dante never had or has a chance to become a good player and all cocky now the jazz moved out of the grooming mold to win mold. plz don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. But crap if that'll make you feel better about yourself. Plz throw one on your back for me while your at it!

Dude you need to focus in on the dante exum aint going anywhere even after the conley move posts. That's what I'm talking about. Stop muddying the waters with the years ago stuff. I'm not giving anyone crap for that.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#72 » by pickIBL » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Jampod wrote:We're contenders now.

What is this... Major League?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#73 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:48 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Jampod wrote:We're contenders now.

What is this... Major League?

Playoff contenders.

mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Re: Exum Traded to Cavs for Jordan Clarckson 

Post#74 » by mudsak » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:20 pm

KqWIN wrote:Clarkson is having a good year, but I don't think this team needed another ball hog. Mudiay and Clarkson together, the ball is never going to move.

This is my thoughts exactly. I don't understand how the coaching staff doesn't understand that a huge part of the bench problem is Mudiay... Dude is one dimensional... He's a PG who is incapable of running an offense. The fact that we just added another combo-guard with similar traits as Mudiay is beyond confusing to me.

Letting Green walk was the right call. Cut the salary commitment, lack of production, and I think he was weak vibes for the team in general.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Exum Traded to Cavs for Jordan Clarckson 

Post#75 » by stitches » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:30 pm

KqWIN wrote:Clarkson is having a good year, but I don't think this team needed another ball hog. Mudiay and Clarkson together, the ball is never going to move.

Quin is going to get a brain aneurysm watching that bench unit. :lol:
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#76 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:46 pm

pickIBL wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I'm sorry but that's a weak statement. Most players dont stay with the same team their entire career.

Dude you need to focus in on the dante exum aint going anywhere even after the conley move posts. That's what I'm talking about. Stop muddying the waters with the years ago stuff. I'm not giving anyone crap for that.

Why the Cricket chat? It's like your boosting I told the world and nobody believed you. Get over it and move on.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#77 » by eLo » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:14 pm

i dont know about this trade, Clarkson is having very good season, and lately he is playing truly terrific, but in same way he is stat filling for terrible team, and we all know he is low iq ball hog ... I would rather give Mundiay more playing time, but i guess we would figure out soon was this a good or bad move
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#78 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:37 am

eLo wrote:i dont know about this trade, Clarkson is having very good season, and lately he is playing truly terrific, but in same way he is stat filling for terrible team, and we all know he is low iq ball hog ... I would rather give Mundiay more playing time, but i guess we would figure out soon was this a good or bad move

Scale 1 to 10 how he does. I'me going to guess 7 14 points 1st and couple ast. Good for first day on job here and jazz win by 12
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#79 » by dr0welf » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:56 am

I've actually enjoyed watching the improvement of Mudiay; and he has improved. He has improved on defense and has started taking the open 3's when he gets them. And the last couple games I have seen him pass out of his drives to the hoop instead of taking the shot no matter how many defenders are there to try to stop him. He definitely has a lot more potential to realize and I would love to see him hit that potential. Clarkson will look like a ball hog next to Mudiay.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#80 » by Tom349 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:44 am

I stated I wasn't a fan of Clarkson but that was largely based off his play at LA. Having watch some highlights and looked up his stats he appears to be more well rounded and higher IQ since moving to Cleveland. The stats that stand out are his catch n shoot three point percentage being above 40%, the percentage of his shoots being three point attempts (49% this season) and by watching some highlights he moves a lot of the ball in order to get himself free and can shoot on the move which is something we lack. If he can stick to being a poor mans JJ Reddick than he could be a handy player for not only the second unit but can also be paired with the starters.

Return to Utah Jazz