Bogey is in my doghouse

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Re: Bogey is in my doghouse 

Post#21 » by mudsak » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 am

BarneyGumble wrote:
mudsak wrote:Bogy was easily the best addition to this team last season. He's the least of this team's problems. The lack of balance in terms of the roster is the problem. No real PF is a problem. No decent anchor in the paint behind Gobert is a problem. Lack of defensive focus is a problem.

The FO dumped assets into Conley when what they really needed was to find a way to keep Favors, but still add Bogey.

I've always been a big fan of Conley, and I still think he's a great player. I just don't think he's what this roster/system needs.

Agreed with all of this. I am guessing Bogey somehow fell into our laps after the Conley trade. I dont see our FO making the Conley trade if they knew we were signing Bogey from the start.....

As for my doghouse....he was in it because of lack of effort (and he's not the only one). During our losing streak he particularly stood out to me as a guy who would flop on offense and be cement-footed on defense and loose balls....I saw several plays where had he dove for the ball or even bent over for it, he would have come up with it....obviously his big shot against Houston helped him move out of my doghouse :)

Yeah... The lack of effort, especially on the defensive end is annoying. I've watched Ingles just put his arms down and let people run past him to the rim numerous times lately, then look around like it was someone else's task to guard. Even Gobert bothers me a lot... not for lack of effort, but he's so soft sometimes. He's such a flopper. If he thinks he was fouled he sells it so hard and whines at the ref. Meanwhile the game is running to the other end of the court without Gobert. Coaches should make a mixtape of him doing this and make him watch it. Maybe Bogy could watch his own too.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#22 » by MalonesElbows » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:24 pm

He can drive ok, 20% of his scoring comes from < 3 feet.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#23 » by BarneyGumble » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:42 pm

This guy has moved back into my doghouse. To use a Sloanism, this guy “plays with a tuxedo on”.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Man I am honestly surprised more Jazz fans on this board are not unhappy with Bojan. I was really, really excited with this signing. He's turning into a Carmelo Anthony type of guy.....sure he can score, but in the process just having him on the floor is costing you games. He is a black hole on offense.....a ball stopper. If he doesnt catch and shoot.....chances are you will get a flop, a turnover, or a contested missed shot. He doesnt rebound, pass, or defend well or even adequately. He is really hurting us right now. He and Joe Ingles are the biggest problem for us right now. Conley is a big problem for sure, but if you are a professional you have to figure things out and Bojan and Joe cannot use Conley as an excuse for their poor play.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#25 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 pm

The Jazz wanted a stretch guy who can score and that's what they got. Bojan is scoring at a very good clip and nails 3.6 3s at 41%.
The Jazz got what they were looking for. If they wanted defense and rebounds from his position they could\would have kept Favors. As for Ingles, he performs well when he's playing with the starters and without Conley. When they're playing together or if Ingles is with the bench unit he's not good, so playing with Conley affects us beyond his underwhelming play and bad defense. It's not only that he hasn't been good, but for whatever reason he's also adversely affecting other players. Can we think of one player on this team that Conley elevates and makes better? I also don't think it's a coincidence that Gobert's output is down--Ingles is the best passer on the team (leads the team with 5AST per game) and he helps Gobert make buckets, and Conley does not.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Jazz wanted a stretch guy who can score and that's what they got. Bojan is scoring at a very good clip and nails 3.6 3s at 41%.
The Jazz got what they were looking for. If they wanted defense and rebounds from his position they could\would have kept Favors. As for Ingles, he performs well when he's playing with the starters and without Conley. When they're playing together or if Ingles is with the bench unit he's not good, so playing with Conley affects us beyond his underwhelming play and bad defense. It's not only that he hasn't been good, but for whatever reason he's also adversely affecting other players. Can we think of one player on this team that Conley elevates and makes better? I also don't think it's a coincidence that Gobert's output is down--Ingles is the best passer on the team (leads the team with 5AST per game) and he helps Gobert make buckets, and Conley does not.

Thank you for the feedback. I understand what you are saying about Bojan, but it sounds like the argument you are making is that we should just accept his limitations and live with them. I get this is a players' league now, but I dont subscribe to that theory. To me, guys can get better....even if they are 8 year veterans. Guys can certainly learn a few techniques that help them pass out of a double team, or how to get in better defending position, or how to box out a guy and not let him get a rebound. Its fundamentals of basketball. The only reason not to improve on fundamentals is laziness and complacency. If Quin and Dennis are going to be held hostage by lazy and complacent players, then I want them both out of here. Bojan needs to be held accountable. The coaching staff should be compiling film for him on his last 50 face up drives to the basket (pretty sure the turnover or flop rate would be about 85%). They should make him watch it over and over and then give him some instruction on what to do different. If he fails to put in the work on these things, they should sit him on the bench and put in a guy who will put forth some effort, even if he is not as talented. Bojan's leash has been plenty long this season....but right now he is killing us and I wont go down with him.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Every player has limitations. The guy is 30 years old and he ain't Karl Malone who got better even when he was 35. Bojan is who he is and I think teaching fundamentals to 30-year old players is somewhat of a lost cause. Yes, I think we should accept his limitations and live with them, he is exactly the player we knew he was before we decided to trade for him and all these issues were well known. The way to compensate for his shortcomings is\was to bring in personnel that can cover for said limitations. While I get the criticism, Bojan does what he was brought here to do. And he's the last guy I'd bench, he bailed the Jazz plenty of times with his shooting, kept us in games and hit two game-winners at the buzzer.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#28 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:29 am

Bogey hovers in my "meh" zone. If he was a smarter basketball player he'd be prime Korver every night. But instead he tries to do too much, (like put the ball on the floor for a drive when he is playing next to DM and Mitchell). Definitely a net "add" but his team BBIQ is neutral.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley

Return to Utah Jazz