Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

Gert42
Sophomore
Posts: 165
And1: 36
Joined: Jun 05, 2016
       

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#281 » by Gert42 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:21 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
red4hf wrote:
stitches wrote:So ... DLZ gave up 2 seconds to get rid off Ed Davis and the Knicks turned around and sold him for a 2nd round pick. They did the same with Tony Bradley.

So the same players we gave up 3 seconds to get rid off, the Knicks traded 3 days later for 2 second round picks. WTF DLZ? WTF? Do they even call around to see who might want him for free? Or do they just work with their buddies?


We didn't trade Bradley to the Knicks...... People are also missing the point that we needed to get rid of Davis, Knicks didn't...... So, it's not the same situation......

We traded Bradley to the Pistons, which cost us the 38th pick. The Pistons then turned around and traded Bradley to the 76ers for Zhaire Smith. I would much rather have the 38th pick and Zhaire Smith.

The Jazz did not have to trade Davis at the moment they did. They wanted to avoid the luxury tax, which prompted them to trade him.


To me, these are secondary moves with guys that have no real future or value with the team. I think moves like that to save money are not that bad. And while 2nd Round picks have value, we also have guys on the team that are undrafted or selected later than 38th.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
Posts: 9,229
And1: 516
Joined: Jul 04, 2002

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#282 » by red4hf » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:55 pm

What to make of that Tucker trade? Did the Jazz need to open a roster spot? Are they running short on cash? What gives......
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 20,082
And1: 6,558
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#283 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:03 pm

red4hf wrote:What to make of that Tucker trade? Did the Jazz need to open a roster spot? Are they running short on cash? What gives......


It seems like opening a roster spot to me. They put themselves in the tax and I think that's a statement to reassure fans that the Smiths are committed to the team. Roster right now stands at:

1. Gobert
2. Mitchell
3. Bojan
4. Favors
5. Ingles
6. Clarkson
7. O'neale
8. Conley
9.Udoka
10.Niang
11. Hughes
12. Goss
13. Oni

Getting rid of Tucker opens up a spot for Batum and to convert Brantley to a regular contract later in the year or use the BAE (I suspet we use this on Batum).
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,549
And1: 702
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#284 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:20 pm

I thought Tucker was a non-guaranteed contract, so this is baffling to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
D Rog
Ballboy
Posts: 32
And1: 2
Joined: Dec 20, 2018
   

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#285 » by D Rog » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 pm

The Jazz FO have paid out a lot of "cash considerations and 2nd round picks to unload small contracts - Davis, Bradley, Tucker. Not sure why. Unless they have something else in the works, I would think they would just eat Tuckers contract and save the future picks.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,202
And1: 5,880
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#286 » by KqWIN » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:55 am

Has to be a follow up move. Tucker had a small guarantee, but the money saved here is likely less than they paid.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,917
And1: 6,318
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#287 » by stitches » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Andy has been killing it this off-season. I love that he's not one of the series of journalists that just nod along and accept and excuse everything. The Jazz have been doing weird stuff a lot lately and he's called every single one of them out.
zero24gravity
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,271
And1: 529
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#288 » by zero24gravity » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Saw these 3 trade ideas on Bleacher Report.

I'm not a fan of trading Rudy, but this might be the best of the bad trade ideas I've seen for him. It's not for a bunch of future assets and bad contracts. Allen is a very capable and mobile defensive center, Prince adds depth to a thin forward spot (might even start) and can shoot from deep, Dinwiddie would be a great bench piece, but might be better used in another trade, as I'm not sure how he'd fit in a rotation that already has Conley, Clarkson, Mitchell.

Brooklyn Nets Receive: C Rudy Gobert
Utah Jazz Receive: C Jarrett Allen, PG Spencer Dinwiddie, PF Taurean Prince


Westbrook in Utah after the issues he had with fans a couple years ago? Non-shooter who needs the ball in his hands, playing with DM? I think Westbrook is still a really good player, and I love his fierce attitude and athleticism for the Jazz, but the fit is suspect. Tucker would fit great, though.

Houston Rockets Receive: PG Mike Conley, F Royce O'Neale
Utah Jazz Receive: PG Russell Westbrook, F/C P.J. Tucker, 2021 second-round pick.


First time seeing DeRozan as a potential Jazz target. I like him, but outside shot is suspect. Does that fit with Mitchell? The team could use an athletic, defensive capable wing, who can get his own shot off, though. At the cost of both Bojan and Royce? Hmmm

Utah Jazz Receive: SF DeMar DeRozan
San Antonio Spurs Receive: F Bojan Bogdanovic, F Royce O'Neale, 2021 second-round pick (via Golden State Warriors)


Just discussion points, I'm not necessarily advocating for any of these.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,886
And1: 2,344
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#289 » by GobertReport » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:17 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Saw these 3 trade ideas on Bleacher Report.

I'm not a fan of trading Rudy, but this might be the best of the bad trade ideas I've seen for him. It's not for a bunch of future assets and bad contracts. Allen is a very capable and mobile defensive center, Prince adds depth to a thin forward spot (might even start) and can shoot from deep, Dinwiddie would be a great bench piece, but might be better used in another trade, as I'm not sure how he'd fit in a rotation that already has Conley, Clarkson, Mitchell.

Brooklyn Nets Receive: C Rudy Gobert
Utah Jazz Receive: C Jarrett Allen, PG Spencer Dinwiddie, PF Taurean Prince


Westbrook in Utah after the issues he had with fans a couple years ago? Non-shooter who needs the ball in his hands, playing with DM? I think Westbrook is still a really good player, and I love his fierce attitude and athleticism for the Jazz, but the fit is suspect. Tucker would fit great, though.

Houston Rockets Receive: PG Mike Conley, F Royce O'Neale
Utah Jazz Receive: PG Russell Westbrook, F/C P.J. Tucker, 2021 second-round pick.


First time seeing DeRozan as a potential Jazz target. I like him, but outside shot is suspect. Does that fit with Mitchell? The team could use an athletic, defensive capable wing, who can get his own shot off, though. At the cost of both Bojan and Royce? Hmmm

Utah Jazz Receive: SF DeMar DeRozan
San Antonio Spurs Receive: F Bojan Bogdanovic, F Royce O'Neale, 2021 second-round pick (via Golden State Warriors)


Just discussion points, I'm not necessarily advocating for any of these.



They are all garbage like most of the Bleacher Report trades involving Utah.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 13,067
And1: 5,649
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#290 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:26 am

GobertReport wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Saw these 3 trade ideas on Bleacher Report.

I'm not a fan of trading Rudy, but this might be the best of the bad trade ideas I've seen for him. It's not for a bunch of future assets and bad contracts. Allen is a very capable and mobile defensive center, Prince adds depth to a thin forward spot (might even start) and can shoot from deep, Dinwiddie would be a great bench piece, but might be better used in another trade, as I'm not sure how he'd fit in a rotation that already has Conley, Clarkson, Mitchell.

Brooklyn Nets Receive: C Rudy Gobert
Utah Jazz Receive: C Jarrett Allen, PG Spencer Dinwiddie, PF Taurean Prince


Westbrook in Utah after the issues he had with fans a couple years ago? Non-shooter who needs the ball in his hands, playing with DM? I think Westbrook is still a really good player, and I love his fierce attitude and athleticism for the Jazz, but the fit is suspect. Tucker would fit great, though.

Houston Rockets Receive: PG Mike Conley, F Royce O'Neale
Utah Jazz Receive: PG Russell Westbrook, F/C P.J. Tucker, 2021 second-round pick.


First time seeing DeRozan as a potential Jazz target. I like him, but outside shot is suspect. Does that fit with Mitchell? The team could use an athletic, defensive capable wing, who can get his own shot off, though. At the cost of both Bojan and Royce? Hmmm

Utah Jazz Receive: SF DeMar DeRozan
San Antonio Spurs Receive: F Bojan Bogdanovic, F Royce O'Neale, 2021 second-round pick (via Golden State Warriors)


Just discussion points, I'm not necessarily advocating for any of these.



They are all garbage like most of the Bleacher Report trades involving Utah.


No chance the Jazz trade Bojan for DeRozan.
If the Jazz wanted that package for Gobert, they would have done it by now.
Almost no one in the league wants Westbrook's contract.
So there you have it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Daddy 801
Head Coach
Posts: 7,436
And1: 2,338
Joined: May 14, 2013
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#291 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:54 am

Those trades are absolutely terrible. I would rather have Royce than Westbrook considering their contracts. And Gobert is easily a top 15 player in the league and his value is worth much more than offered.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,202
And1: 5,880
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#292 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:53 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Jazz mentioned here. Between GR3 and Batum interest, looks like they will try to fill the last roster spot.
User avatar
tugs
RealGM
Posts: 14,469
And1: 2,086
Joined: Jul 22, 2010

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#293 » by tugs » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:12 am

Jazz needs another wing defender. Can't rely solely on Royce and bank on Clarkson or Bogdanovic to somehow be serviceable (even though they try)
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,917
And1: 6,318
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#294 » by stitches » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:31 am

KqWIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Jazz mentioned here. Between GR3 and Batum interest, looks like they will try to fill the last roster spot.

If they don't in order to avoid the LT I can already tell you what the excuse will be by the media minions. COVID-19 - they are trying to lower the risk and getting fewer players on the roster is the solution.
Daddy 801
Head Coach
Posts: 7,436
And1: 2,338
Joined: May 14, 2013
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#295 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:32 pm

They could also be keeping a few spots open anticipating a Rudy trade. It’s most likely we take back more than we send. If that’s the case having open roster spots makes it easier I believe.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,917
And1: 6,318
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#296 » by stitches » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:They could also be keeping a few spots open anticipating a Rudy trade. It’s most likely we take back more than we send. If that’s the case having open roster spots makes it easier I believe.

You can have 20 players on the roster in the off-season. You have to cut it to 15 before the season starts.
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,549
And1: 702
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#297 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:31 pm

tugs wrote:Jazz needs another wing defender. Can't rely solely on Royce and bank on Clarkson or Bogdanovic to somehow be serviceable (even though they try)

Super cheap option with upside is Shaq Harrison. He is 6'4", not 6'7" as is reported on some sites, but is one of the best pickpockets in the NBA. Very athletic and a decent shooter too. IMO, a bargain at the min.

(Edit: Comparison of Shaq and GRIII this past season https://stathead.com/tiny/eI4ap )
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,549
And1: 702
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#298 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:32 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Andy has been killing it this off-season. I love that he's not one of the series of journalists that just nod along and accept and excuse everything. The Jazz have been doing weird stuff a lot lately and he's called every single one of them out.

Yes he has, thanks for pointing these out. If the Jazz aren't setting up for something, I am seriously losing faith in them.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,202
And1: 5,880
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#299 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Obviously it's not great to consistently make moves that end up forcing you to spend picks to get out of, but at least the Jazz are not holding onto their mistakes. Gives me a glimmer of hope that they might be willing to accept defeat on the big move (Conley). I'd thought the the FO would be too prideful to admit a mistake so quickly, but they've already spent a ton of assets to undo their bad moves. No way to look good coming out of this.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 20,082
And1: 6,558
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#300 » by babyjax13 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 pm

It seems like they wanted to make roster space for a veteran wing defender and have an extra spot through the season. Don't think Tucker showed much of anything, he takes like 3 seconds to make a decision on the court.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz