Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#401 » by sip » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:15 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Maybe take a chance on DJ Wilson? He would be cheap, occasionally flashes promise, is young and at a minimum could play small ball center when needed.
Sign me up. He is the exact type of player that we should be taking a chance on in free agency.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#402 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:58 am

CAE15 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Maybe take a chance on DJ Wilson? He would be cheap, occasionally flashes promise, is young and at a minimum could play small ball center when needed.
I mean a training camp invite might not be the worst idea if he doesn't get a QO from Houston. He's odd. He'll look incredibly athletic at times and other times he'll look like a guard just trying their damndest to finish over a bigger defender. Not much of a rebounder and doesn't really use his size. 7'3 wing span and he has 42 career blocks in nearly 1800 career minutes. Could potentially be a stretch big and you could do worse on a minimum contract. I don't think I'd be confident in him playing small ball center for us however. Still these guys that are mid 20s that haven't latched on are definitely some guys we should be looking at, I hope our two RMR teams are loaded with athleticism

One of my thoughts is that Christian Woods was bad, until he wasn’t. Some guys take a little longer to bake, and DJ could be one of them.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#403 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:12 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
CAE15 wrote:
I mean a training camp invite might not be the worst idea if he doesn't get a QO from Houston. He's odd. He'll look incredibly athletic at times and other times he'll look like a guard just trying their damndest to finish over a bigger defender. Not much of a rebounder and doesn't really use his size. 7'3 wing span and he has 42 career blocks in nearly 1800 career minutes. Could potentially be a stretch big and you could do worse on a minimum contract. I don't think I'd be confident in him playing small ball center for us however. Still these guys that are mid 20s that haven't latched on are definitely some guys we should be looking at, I hope our two RMR teams are loaded with athleticism

One of my thoughts is that Christian Woods was bad, until he wasn’t. Some guys take a little longer to bake, and DJ could be one of them.

Wood was always good and it wasn't a secret. He had attitude problems but he was extremely dominant in the G-League and has become a way better shooter since then. His game was never in question. DJ Wilson has basketball problems.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#404 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:54 pm

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
CAE15 wrote:I mean a training camp invite might not be the worst idea if he doesn't get a QO from Houston. He's odd. He'll look incredibly athletic at times and other times he'll look like a guard just trying their damndest to finish over a bigger defender. Not much of a rebounder and doesn't really use his size. 7'3 wing span and he has 42 career blocks in nearly 1800 career minutes. Could potentially be a stretch big and you could do worse on a minimum contract. I don't think I'd be confident in him playing small ball center for us however. Still these guys that are mid 20s that haven't latched on are definitely some guys we should be looking at, I hope our two RMR teams are loaded with athleticism

Wood was always good and it wasn't a secret. He had attitude problems but he was extremely dominant in the G-League and has become a way better shooter since then. His game was never in question. DJ Wilson has basketball problems.

DJ Wilson has certainly been overall bad his first four years, but has had his moments. In April, he went off in two games. I would certainly rather have him than Juwan Morgan. He could probably be had for the bi-annual exception, or perhaps even a minimum contract as he is just unrealized potential that might not become realized.

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#405 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:57 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:One of my thoughts is that Christian Woods was bad, until he wasn’t. Some guys take a little longer to bake, and DJ could be one of them.

DJ Wilson has certainly been overall bad his first four years, but has had his moments. In April, he went off in two games. I would certainly rather have him than Juwan Morgan. He could probably be had for the bi-annual exception, or perhaps even a minimum contract as he is just unrealized potential that might not become realized.

Kuzma lite?
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#406 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:One of my thoughts is that Christian Woods was bad, until he wasn’t. Some guys take a little longer to bake, and DJ could be one of them.

He had plenty of opportunity in HOU and it reaffirmed what I think about him. He’s not close to being good enough and I see no reason to take a chance on a 25 year that has shown he is bad versus any random young player that hasn’t gotten a chance. I can’t get excited or hopeful about moments or flashes from a 25 year old.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#407 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:02 am

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

He had plenty of opportunity in HOU and it reaffirmed what I think about him. He’s not close to being good enough and I see no reason to take a chance on a 25 year that has shown he is bad versus any random young player that hasn’t gotten a chance. I can’t get excited or hopeful about moments or flashes from a 25 year old.

I can’t completely disagree with you, but the Jazz need a guy DJs size who can defend the perimeter, shoot the 3, and provide some rim protection and rebound to play small ball center for limited minutes on a cheap contract- who you got in mind?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#408 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:19 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:DJ Wilson has certainly been overall bad his first four years, but has had his moments. In April, he went off in two games. I would certainly rather have him than Juwan Morgan. He could probably be had for the bi-annual exception, or perhaps even a minimum contract as he is just unrealized potential that might not become realized.

I can’t completely disagree with you, but the Jazz need a guy DJs size who can defend the perimeter, shoot the 3, and provide some rim protection and rebound to play small ball center for limited minutes on a cheap contract- who you got in mind?

DJ can't do any of the first 3 things you mentioned at an NBA level and backup C is by far the lowest priority I have on the roster. We have too many roster spots spent on C's already, no reason to take a flier on another. If the FO decides to spend more than a two-way spot on another C I'm going to be upset.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#409 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 am

I'd probably go for Thon Maker or Harry Giles before Wilson, but I would not hate a flier on DJ depending on what we do in the offseason (i.e. Favors being traded).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#410 » by tugs » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:18 am

Maker had his moments, so has Giles. It boils down to which poison the management is willing to swallow: Thon's consistency vs Harry's health
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#411 » by goober » Sat Jul 3, 2021 2:52 pm

I feel like Lonzo Ball would be such an excellent fit on the Jazz. Long defender who can hit the 3 and handle the ball well next to Mitchell at the 2 guard spot. I honestly would prefer to trade Clarkson as I feel his role is easily replaceable around the league. I think I would do Inglés/Clarkson for Ball in a S&T So that we could have a lineup of Mitchell/Ball/O’Neale/Bojan/Gobert
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#412 » by CAE15 » Sat Jul 3, 2021 10:39 pm

goober wrote:I feel like Lonzo Ball would be such an excellent fit on the Jazz. Long defender who can hit the 3 and handle the ball well next to Mitchell at the 2 guard spot. I honestly would prefer to trade Clarkson as I feel his role is easily replaceable around the league. I think I would do Inglés/Clarkson for Ball in a S&T So that we could have a lineup of Mitchell/Ball/O’Neale/Bojan/Gobert
Clarkson is one of if not the best streak shooter in the league. There aren't many guys who can come right off the bench and start flame throwing. Yes he's a high volume shooter but when he's hot..man he can put points up in a hurry. Jazz bench needs a player like that, we've seen what it's like without that. Clarkson is one of 4 and a half players on our team who can create his own shot. Don, Mike, JC, Bogey, Ingles is the half because he's so inconsistent on doing it. Conley is a FA. Bogey isn't great at it. Jazz need more players that can create for themselves before thinking of ditching Clarkson. Clarkson also improved at times at distributing. He's got a ways to go but he had 22 games of 4 assists or better. Which isn't great by any means but it's an improvement. He makes life easier for Conley. He doesn't produce great with Donovan however. Rudy he's also very good. And he plays the best with Oni though that's a fairly small sample size. That being said I'm not against moving him in the right type of deal.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#413 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:12 pm

I"d like to see some guys like Cam Reynolds get an invite to fall camp. He's been on Rockets and Spurs as 10 day contracts but really hasn't seen the floor much. But I would like to see what he has. I would like to see him on the defensive side more to see what he brings.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#414 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:23 am

What would you guys think about a Bogey for Kuzma trade? Seems like Kuzma is on the trading block.

Bogey is obviously the better outside shooter, which would be appealing to the Lakers. However, Kuzma is younger, arguably more athletic, a better defender, and while he hasn't been so great the last season or two that might be due to the insertion of AD into the lineup as he had a nice second year. Could Kuzma play that small ball center with his bigger size? Kuzma would pull the Jazz below the tax, at least temporarily, which might (not sure on the capology of this) enable the acquisition of a better role player or two with the higher MLE before Conley is resigned (if that happens).

I'm not looking to get rid of Bogey, as I do value him, but I find this potential trade intruiging.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#415 » by Wolverine » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:42 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:What would you guys think about a Bogey for Kuzma trade? Seems like Kuzma is on the trading block.

Bogey is obviously the better outside shooter, which would be appealing to the Lakers. However, Kuzma is younger, arguably more athletic, a better defender, and while he hasn't been so great the last season or two that might be due to the insertion of AD into the lineup as he had a nice second year. Could Kuzma play that small ball center with his bigger size? Kuzma would pull the Jazz below the tax, at least temporarily, which might (not sure on the capology of this) enable the acquisition of a better role player or two with the higher MLE before Conley is resigned (if that happens).

I'm not looking to get rid of Bogey, as I do value him, but I find this potential trade intruiging.

Rather keep Bogey
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#416 » by sip » Fri Jul 9, 2021 1:31 am

Bogey is worth a hell of a lot more than Kuzma on their own. Now depending on who is sitting there at 22 I might consider Kuzma, KCP and 22 for Bogey and Favors. Right now I have a bit of an infatuation with Trey Murphy but Tre Mann would look pretty good as well. So in the end we trade Bogey and an unplayable big in Favors for a stretch big and a solid defensive wing plus whoever we get in the draft. If we could get Trey Murphy then I think he could be a Cameron Johnson type of player for us. We definitely could use that type of player.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
tugs
RealGM

Post#417 » by tugs » Fri Jul 9, 2021 2:51 am

Man Kuz plus fillers for Bogey could work. If Kostas didn't leave I'd be interested. Imagine that mobile big at the middle.

Love Bogey's game, solid as hell. But there are times that he's second, third, fourth fiddle to DM, Conley, and Clarkson even if he's the most potent scorer amongst all imo. Maybe best to find a complementary piece

LeBron gets his shooter that can play 2/3 and is starting caliber.

No way they'd let go of Caruso but him as back up PG, whew.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#418 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 4:15 am

Kuzma just is not that good. I'd do Favors and 2 2nds for him, that's it - certainly not trading Bojan for him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#419 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 9, 2021 11:42 am

I think Bojan is being overestimated a bit here. He's much older than Kuzma, he's being paid much more per season, and he's a worse defender than Kuzma. For all the complaints we had about the Jazz not having long wings who can defend, you'd think people would be more open to having Kuzma, who can do that part better than Bojan, and still hit 3s. He also fits DM's timeline much better at 25 years of age (26 soon) compared to Bojan's 32. Are we not expecting Bojan do start declining, while Kuzma will just be entering his prime?

The ideal move, which probably isn't realistic, is somehow getting Kuzma in a deal that involves sending Conley to the Lakers. Then we can trade Bojan for a PG.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
tugs
RealGM

Post#420 » by tugs » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:03 am

Aren't we all tired of Royce getting beat up from guarding the best wings? Imagine having Kuzma, at least there won't always be the height and length disadvantage

Return to Utah Jazz