Game 71:Dallas Mavericks (42-30) vs Utah Jazz (43-27)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Game 71:Dallas Mavericks (42-30) vs Utah Jazz (43-27) 

Post#21 » by KqWIN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:10 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:So, i actually watched this game even though I knew the result and that the scrubs would be playing, mainly to see how they would play. My take away only reinforced my belief that the Jazz need to evaluate their talent evaluators.

If you're playing 4 Gleague players + Ed Davis against 5 real NBA players...what do you expect?

How did we get to the point where this is our bench? They hit grand slams with Mitchell and Gobert, but have wiffed on pretty much everyone else going on years now. They can only get the DM and RG credit for so long. The Jazz only have about 6 or 7 legit players. It is a major fall off after that.

The players who lost the game aren't the bench. Those are the starters for the G-League team.

I do agree that we have no depth...but I also think people are a little too hard on the Jazz "scouting". This is a 50 win team and it was built almost entirely around the margins. I know people think that being a 50 win team means you are actually the worst franchise in the league, but truth is that many franchises spends years, decades trying to get to this level and can't do it.

Quite frankly, the reason we don't have depth is because we used it all on Conley. That was a swing and a miss for the ages.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#22 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Miye Oni and Jarrell Brantley ought to be able to mix in if you don't expect too much from them. They can rebound, defend, move the ball, and hit an occasional open shot.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:How did we get to the point where this is our bench? They hit grand slams with Mitchell and Gobert, but have wiffed on pretty much everyone else going on years now. They can only get the DM and RG credit for so long. The Jazz only have about 6 or 7 legit players. It is a major fall off after that.

They did a good job with some other players, like Ingles and Royce, but in the end all it amounts to is treading water.

KqWIN wrote: I know people think that being a 50 win team means you are actually the worst franchise in the league, but truth is that many franchises spends years, decades trying to get to this level and can't do it.

The only thing that keeps me from quitting on the Jazz is that they aren't a 60 win team. If they ever hit 60 it's the ultimate proof they don't know what they're doing and will never win anything, so once that happens I'm out. 8-)
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#24 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 pm

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
If you're playing 4 Gleague players + Ed Davis against 5 real NBA players...what do you expect?

How did we get to the point where this is our bench? They hit grand slams with Mitchell and Gobert, but have wiffed on pretty much everyone else going on years now. They can only get the DM and RG credit for so long. The Jazz only have about 6 or 7 legit players. It is a major fall off after that.

The players who lost the game aren't the bench. Those are the starters for the G-League team.

I do agree that we have no depth...but I also think people are a little too hard on the Jazz "scouting". This is a 50 win team and it was built almost entirely around the margins. I know people think that being a 50 win team means you are actually the worst franchise in the league, but truth is that many franchises spends years, decades trying to get to this level and can't do it.

Quite frankly, the reason we don't have depth is because we used it all on Conley. That was a swing and a miss for the ages.

It's true that they have no depth due to the Conley signing, but everyone knew that the Jazz with Gobert needed outside shooting and Conley and Bojan were understandable moves, even if Mike hasn't worked out so far.

However, when our bench unit is in without the typical one or two starters, they look dreadful. Clarkson can go crazy iso and score, Niang is hot and cold from three, but collectively they are hot garbage, including Mudiay and Davis. They look like the Frosh team scrimmaging the Varsity, even though the Varsity is the other team's bench.

Return to Utah Jazz