Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics)

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,118
And1: 5,800
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#1 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
Posts: 17,352
And1: 1,161
Joined: Sep 19, 2002
Location: Barcelona, Spain
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#2 » by FJS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:38 pm

As a European I don't know if this is good or not...
Image
User avatar
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
Posts: 17,352
And1: 1,161
Joined: Sep 19, 2002
Location: Barcelona, Spain
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#3 » by FJS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:40 pm

I see headquarters of Quialtrics are in Provo and Seattle...
Image
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 18,904
And1: 4,572
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#4 » by the_process » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:53 pm

FJS wrote:I see headquarters of Quialtrics are in Provo and Seattle...


On his Twitter feed he certainly seems like a Utah guy.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 19,637
And1: 6,268
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Wow, that's wild :O
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#6 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Hahaha we want to keep the Jazz in Utah for 50 years... Doubt the Jazz move after the arena was just completed.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#7 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:56 pm

The arena is included in the sale and I imagine staying in Utah was part of the agreement.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 19,637
And1: 6,268
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:57 pm

So much for the trust, wonder how that affects things?
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#9 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:58 pm

babyjax13 wrote:So much for the trust, wonder how that affects things?


It was voted on just like any boardroom.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,118
And1: 5,800
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#10 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#11 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 pm

KqWIN wrote:Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.


Miller’s are still part owners and I imagine it has to be a unanimous decision to sell.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
sip
Junior
Posts: 335
And1: 304
Joined: Apr 14, 2009

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#12 » by sip » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 pm

This is great news. Finally an owner with some deeper pockets and hopefully one that will hold management accountable to some the incompetence that we have seen.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,118
And1: 5,800
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#13 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:13 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.


Miller’s are still part owners and I imagine it has to be a unanimous decision to sell.


They just sold majority interest, there is no more trust. "The objectives of the trust will be honored"...yeah, we'll see about that. If tech comes calling and he wants to double his money, there's nothing stopping him but bad morals. As if that has gotten in the way of anyone making a billion dollars.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#14 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:19 pm

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.


Miller’s are still part owners and I imagine it has to be a unanimous decision to sell.


They just sold majority interest, there is no more trust. "The objectives of the trust will be honored"...yeah, we'll see about that. If tech comes calling and he wants to double his money, there's nothing stopping him but bad morals. As if that has gotten in the way of anyone making a billion dollars.


You might be right or I could be right.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#15 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm

sip wrote:This is great news. Finally an owner with some deeper pockets and hopefully one that will hold management accountable to some the incompetence that we have seen.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app


Championship or bust.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,118
And1: 5,800
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#16 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Miller’s are still part owners and I imagine it has to be a unanimous decision to sell.


They just sold majority interest, there is no more trust. "The objectives of the trust will be honored"...yeah, we'll see about that. If tech comes calling and he wants to double his money, there's nothing stopping him but bad morals. As if that has gotten in the way of anyone making a billion dollars.


You might be right or I could be right.


I mean, I'm right about the trust. There's no stopping him from selling later on if he wants to. Just depends on what he wants. He owns the decision making ability.

I fully believe that he plans to own the Jazz for a long time and keep it here, but the Millers likely never intended to sell either. Things change, money talks.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,843
And1: 2,335
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#17 » by GobertReport » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
They just sold majority interest, there is no more trust. "The objectives of the trust will be honored"...yeah, we'll see about that. If tech comes calling and he wants to double his money, there's nothing stopping him but bad morals. As if that has gotten in the way of anyone making a billion dollars.


You might be right or I could be right.


I mean, I'm right about the trust. There's no stopping him from selling later on if he wants to. Just depends on what he wants. He owns the decision making ability.

I fully believe that he plans to own the Jazz for a long time and keep it here, but the Millers likely never intended to sell either. Things change, money talks.


I’d be willing to bet their dealerships that make the most money IE ones that sell trucks took a huge hit because of the bubble.
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,526
And1: 691
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#18 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Wow, I don't think anyone saw this coming. I think that Gail is getting older and her son Greg just didn't enjoy the Jazz as much as his Dad. They make billions per year in their other companies, so it is hard to see this as a money grab.

So, will the Jazz be better run, or worse? Will the Jazz stay in town, or move to a bigger city? Ryan is a home grown product, so I do think that the odds are good it stays around.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,118
And1: 5,800
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#19 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
You might be right or I could be right.


I mean, I'm right about the trust. There's no stopping him from selling later on if he wants to. Just depends on what he wants. He owns the decision making ability.

I fully believe that he plans to own the Jazz for a long time and keep it here, but the Millers likely never intended to sell either. Things change, money talks.


I’d be willing to bet their dealerships that make the most money IE ones that sell trucks took a huge hit because of the bubble.


For sure. Which is why I don't think the Millers ever intended to sell, they just got hit with Covid. Ryan Smith probably wants to keep the team in Utah and never intends to sell, but the Millers never intended to sell either. Things happen, and Ryan Smith can make a billion at any time by selling to tech.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,877
And1: 6,280
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#20 » by stitches » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Holy moly! Well, I certainly didn't expect that... No idea what it means for the team...

Return to Utah Jazz