Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#61 » by vryadli » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:38 pm

Lava Rock Kid wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:The Millers look like they had to sell no matter what, what if he wasn't there? It's a scary thought.

I'm sure the family of billionaires would have been just fine. In other news, I'm still struggling to pay for my car.

Reed Larry Miller’s book “ driven “. He came from nothing and made himself a billionaire. What’s your excuse

Looks like it is too late for us, as you read it already and evidently far ahead. At least half-billionaire are you, right?
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#62 » by vryadli » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:43 pm

bkohler wrote:Ryan is a good guy and has invested millions in helping build and bring Tech companies to Utah. He's as safe a bet to keep The Jazz in Utah long term as nearly anyone you could find. He's had opportunities to purchase other NBA teams but passed because he wanted the Jazz. He is one of the few Jazz fans you'll find at every summer league game.

You'll notice Ryan with Joe Ingles and Steve Starks in a picture I took during the last summer league in Utah:

Ryan is one of the original founders of Silicon Slopes which is a large nonprofit dedicated to bringing more tech companies and talent to Utah. He also happened to have one of the largest strokes of luck imaginable as he sold Qualtrics to SAP and then the CEO of SAP left the company. The new SAP CEO decided they no longer wanted Qualtrics and are spinning it back off into a private entity with Smith being able to buy back majority ownership for a fraction of what they paid him originally.

Thanks for sharing info and photo!
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 438

Post#63 » by bkohler » Mon Nov 2, 2020 10:51 pm

vryadli wrote:
bkohler wrote:Ryan is a good guy and has invested millions in helping build and bring Tech companies to Utah. He's as safe a bet to keep The Jazz in Utah long term as nearly anyone you could find. He's had opportunities to purchase other NBA teams but passed because he wanted the Jazz. He is one of the few Jazz fans you'll find at every summer league game.

You'll notice Ryan with Joe Ingles and Steve Starks in a picture I took during the last summer league in Utah:

Ryan is one of the original founders of Silicon Slopes which is a large nonprofit dedicated to bringing more tech companies and talent to Utah. He also happened to have one of the largest strokes of luck imaginable as he sold Qualtrics to SAP and then the CEO of SAP left the company. The new SAP CEO decided they no longer wanted Qualtrics and are spinning it back off into a private entity with Smith being able to buy back majority ownership for a fraction of what they paid him originally.

Thanks for sharing info and photo!

No problem!
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#64 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:26 pm

It's been a little under a year since the Millers sold the Jazz to Ryan Smith. This change to younger, fresh ownership is paying off and is headed in the right direction imo. Smith is bringing new energy and appears committed to working hard to have a successful franchise, including spending lots of time cultivating important relationships and friendships in the NBA. He brought in his high profile, NBA friend Dwayne Wade to an ownership stake and Smith frequently plays golf with Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell. Danny Ainge and Tony Finau are also Smith golf partners.

I suspect Smith is chipping away at the reputation of the Utah Jazz as an uncool franchise to play for, while trying to build a championship organization. Maybe there is even a chance that Donovan won't bolt from Utah during his next free agency. Lol.

Deseret News - Jazz owner Ryan Smith on golf, the NBA, his friendship with Tony Finau and Pebble Beach
https://www.deseret.com/2021/8/30/22647375/jazz-owner-ryan-smith-nba-golf-tony-finau-qualtrics-byu-nba

Return to Utah Jazz