Around the NBA, Season 2020-2021

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Around the NBA, Season 2020-2021 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:24 pm

New thread for the new season, whenever it will start.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2020-2021 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:54 am

Luke Kennard was rumored during the season to be on the block, I'd kind of love to see if we could get him. He's an incredible shooter and can handle the ball a bit - could be a long-term fit next to Mitchell. The injury this season is just worrisome.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Suppose things are REALLY burning down in HOU. What do you guys think about a Conley for Covington + Eric Gordon swap?
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:35 pm

KqWIN wrote:Suppose things are REALLY burning down in HOU. What do you guys think about a Conley for Covington + Eric Gordon swap?

Would we need to give up something else? I'd do that trade immediately if offered.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#5 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:55 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Suppose things are REALLY burning down in HOU. What do you guys think about a Conley for Covington + Eric Gordon swap?

Would we need to give up something else? I'd do that trade immediately if offered.

I have no idea. That Gordon deal is fugly and he is unhappy there, but Covington is obviously really valuable to HOU. Morey is gone though.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:31 pm

stitches wrote:

I think salary relief might be enough plus I would say Conley and Covington close to equal value.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#7 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:57 pm

I'm not sure I would. How are you going to play them? I guess Covington could play starting forward and bump Ingles to the bench/6th man, but would Gordon play over Royce? The defense could suffer. Also, they would add total salary of $29M, $31M and at least $19.6M over their contracts, which would put the Jazz into the tax, I would assume, after the extensions of Mitchell and Gobert. Are they enough to pull us over the top to justify the tax?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#8 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:03 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I'm not sure I would. How are you going to play them? I guess Covington could play starting forward and bump Ingles to the bench/6th man, but would Gordon play over Royce? The defense could suffer. Also, they would add total salary of $29M, $31M and at least $19.6M over their contracts, which would put the Jazz into the tax, I would assume, after the extensions of Mitchell and Gobert. Are they enough to pull us over the top to justify the tax?

I don't think having too many players is a problem at all. I mean, if Bogey was healthy, we'd have a decision to make where someone has to sit anyways.

As far as the salary goes, it's very easy to say it's worth it because it's not my money. From a team building perspective, it's actually better to carry the salaries to keep your cap number high into the future. The downside, of course, is that it costs a lot money to do that.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#9 » by vryadli » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Good interview here Giannis Antetokounmpo. Looks like he is new Tim Duncan. Even though he don't quite get his Pop, so may be in the end will have less rings.
"When it changes, it will not be good. It's easy, I want to be a winner. I do not care about the money. My family is fine and I can take care of my children and grandchildren so that's not the most important thing right now, it's winning. As long as we can win and create a winning culture, it will be good."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260235/Giannis-Antetokounmpo-Ill-Be-With-Bucks-For-Many-Years-If-They-Make-Right-Decisions
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#10 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:02 am

Looks like the Rockets are blowing things up and every player is available for trade. Don't know if we have any assets to get any of them, but I wonder who could we get.

This is yet another example of a management that realizes that with all the talent they have, they don't have what it takes to win a championship and they're willing to blow things up. They could easily ride the Harden train for the next 2-3 years at the very least and make the playoffs, but they recognize what they have is not enough and decided to start over. I can only hope that with the Jazz being under new management, that they realize what they have isn't enough as well, and not drag this out for the next 5 seasons just so we could get bounced in the first\second round every year.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#11 » by KqWIN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Looks like the Rockets are blowing things up and every player is available for trade. Don't know if we have any assets to get any of them, but I wonder who could we get.

This is yet another example of a management that realizes that with all the talent they have, they don't have what it takes to win a championship and they're willing to blow things up. They could easily ride the Harden train for the next 2-3 years at the very least and make the playoffs, but they recognize what they have is not enough and decided to start over. I can only hope that with the Jazz being under new management, that they realize what they have isn't enough as well, and not drag this out for the next 5 seasons just so we could get bounced in the first\second round every year.

They are blowing it up because Harden and the rest of the team hate each other. They would by dying to keep it together if the chemistry was there.

The Rockets were actually an example of a team that built a contender without tanking. The idea that you have to start over to become good is a false one. There really aren’t many teams that are good because they tanked.

Even take Philly, for example. They haven’t made it to a conference final in the East, and they were only at that level because of Jimmy Butler who they acquired with non tanking assets (Dario and Covington).

Building a contender isn’t about having the balls to tank. It’s about making a series of good moves whether your team is starting at 25, 35, 45, or 55 wins.

The Jazz are a failure because they bet on the wrong guys, not because they were content and didn’t blow it up.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 82

Post#12 » by D Rog » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Always liked Gordon but his contract is guaranteed through 2022 / 2023 season. Not sure I want to pay him for that long. He turns 32 in a month. His #s have gone down each of the last 3 years. I think the Jazz need to find somebody in the 25-28 year old range.
I am totally in favor with shedding Conley's contract now but for the right deal.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#13 » by vryadli » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:20 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Looks like the Rockets are blowing things up and every player is available for trade. Don't know if we have any assets to get any of them, but I wonder who could we get.

They are blowing it up because Harden and the rest of the team hate each other. They would by dying to keep it together if the chemistry was there.

The Rockets were actually an example of a team that built a contender without tanking. The idea that you have to start over to become good is a false one. There really aren’t many teams that are good because they tanked.

Even take Philly, for example. They haven’t made it to a conference final in the East, and they were only at that level because of Jimmy Butler who they acquired with non tanking assets (Dario and Covington).

Building a contender isn’t about having the balls to tank. It’s about making a series of good moves whether your team is starting at 25, 35, 45, or 55 wins.

The Jazz are a failure because they bet on the wrong guys, not because they were or content and didn’t blow it up.

And they still have a lot of options to make a wrong moves.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm

West is heating up (pun intended)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#15 » by stitches » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:20 pm

KqWIN wrote:West is heating up (pun intended)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That's steep. Presti is the king of extracting value out of desperate teams.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#16 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:22 pm

stitches wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

No such thing as negative contracts for Presti. Got good value out of Shroeder and Paul who were seen as toxic contracts. Now he will flip Danny Green and Rubio for more.
stitches
RealGM

Post#17 » by stitches » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:25 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

No such thing as negative contracts for Presti. Got good value out of Shroeder and Paul who were seen as toxic contracts. Now he will flip Danny Green and Rubio for more.

Green and Rubio for Mike Conley... who says no?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#18 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:33 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

Green and Rubio for Mike Conley... who says no?

Not me...I think OKC says no because Rubio and Green are easier to trade.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#19 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:37 pm

So Suns will be paying Paul $80 million to fight it out for the 7th or 8th spot? I mean, OK....... If that's what you're into......
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#20 » by goober » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:10 pm

red4hf wrote:So Suns will be paying Paul $80 million to fight it out for the 7th or 8th spot? I mean, OK....... If that's what you're into......

I could see the suns sneaking into the top 4

Return to Utah Jazz