Draft Day Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: Draft Day Thread 

Post#41 » by AingesBurner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Also if we pick up Woodard there is obviously a type we are going after with the Brantley pick from last year
Ingles is cooked.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#42 » by CAE15 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm

I say just take both Mississippi State guys Woodard and Perry. Would be a much needed boost in athleticism

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#43 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 pm

KqWIN wrote:PS on Andy Larsen’s last podcast, he and Eric Walden mentioned Udoka Azubuke as someone the Jazz have interest in. Tony Jones mentioned this interest as well on Twitter. Locke has some good things to say IIRC as well. My guess is that we’re going Woodard-Udoka.

Good intel, and you're probably right on Udoka. I guess I need to have something to complain about every Jazz draft, and this would certainly be it, particularly if other centers are available that can actually stretch the floor and/or have a chance of defending in space.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#44 » by stitches » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:53 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:PS on Andy Larsen’s last podcast, he and Eric Walden mentioned Udoka Azubuke as someone the Jazz have interest in. Tony Jones mentioned this interest as well on Twitter. Locke has some good things to say IIRC as well. My guess is that we’re going Woodard-Udoka.

Good intel, and you're probably right on Udoka. I guess I need to have something to complain about every Jazz draft, and this would certainly be it, particularly if other centers are available that can actually stretch the floor and/or have a chance of defending in space.

Didn't Udoka shoot like... 35% from FT in college? :banghead:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#45 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 pm

tugs wrote:What could be the rational in trading #23 for lower picks? Is there another trade brewing and Jazz is collecting assets?

The Jazz did pretty well lately with the 27th pick. Maybe they're superstitious.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:59 pm

stitches wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I just don't get it. It's like the Jazz have never gotten over failing to get a good 7 footer in the mid-90s and have spent the last 20 years trying to atone for it. Hopefully, everyone is wrong on this pick.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#47 » by KqWIN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:01 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Good intel, and you're probably right on Udoka. I guess I need to have something to complain about every Jazz draft, and this would certainly be it, particularly if other centers are available that can actually stretch the floor and/or have a chance of defending in space.

I just don't get it. It's like the Jazz have never gotten over failing to get a good 7 footer in the mid-90s and have spent the last 20 years trying to atone for it. Hopefully, everyone is wrong on this pick.

We found one good 7 footer, which is why we can stop spending so much capital to find his backup.
stitches
RealGM

Post#48 » by stitches » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:04 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
stitches wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Good intel, and you're probably right on Udoka. I guess I need to have something to complain about every Jazz draft, and this would certainly be it, particularly if other centers are available that can actually stretch the floor and/or have a chance of defending in space.

I have no idea when they are going to learn. One would think Tony Bradley would have been enough to do it. When you use a good draft asset on a player and the best case scenario for him is that he plays 10 minutes a game behind your best player, then that's a waste. You can find that for MLE or even lower in the league.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#49 » by KqWIN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 pm

Woodard and Udoka have two of the most impressive physicals profiles in the draft, but they aren't good at basketball so....
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:13 pm

KqWIN wrote:FWIW I like Tyler Bey more than Woodard. He was just so much more productive across the board than Woodard. But let me tell you...we are not taking Bey over Woodard.

The Tankathon tape favors Bey as well.
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=tyler-bey--robert-woodard-ii
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#51 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:22 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I see people say that Udoka doesn't look athletic in games but I disagree. The paint is packed in college, but he has some moments where he just overpowers people. I don't mind taking him in the second round.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#52 » by KqWIN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I see people say that Udoka doesn't look athletic in games but I disagree. The paint is packed in college, but he has some moments where he just overpowers people. I don't mind taking him in the second round.

His physical profile reminds me of Whiteside. He's jacked, has some bounce, but also has heavy and slow feet.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#53 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

His physical profile reminds me of Whiteside. He's jacked, has some bounce, but also has heavy and slow feet.

I think that's a good comp. But he doesn't look so laterally slow that he gets played off the court. I'm not sure where his upside is, but as a flier in the second round, I don't care too much. I can see a path where he can contribute to an NBA team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#54 » by KqWIN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:33 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I think that's a good comp. But he doesn't look so laterally slow that he gets played off the court. I'm not sure where his upside is, but as a flier in the second round, I don't care too much. I can see a path where he can contribute to an NBA team.

It's good to bet on a roll man later in the draft. Lots of success stories there. Gobert, Whiteside, Jordan ect. I would much rather take two shots at a useful wing, however, because a productive wing is so much more valuable.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#55 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:46 pm

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

It's good to bet on a roll man later in the draft. Lots of success stories there. Gobert, Whiteside, Jordan ect. I would much rather take two shots at a useful wing, however, because a productive wing is so much more valuable.

I think that's fair. I'm definitely in on Woodard, FWIW, the more I watch him. Hope that is the pick at 27 (unless Bolmaro is available). Getting major Miles Bridges but with defense vibes.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#56 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:47 pm

Quickley may be the other guy to watch in the second round.

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#57 » by stitches » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#58 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Grant Riller is my preferred pick at 38.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#59 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:19 pm

Big board at 27 (based on tankathon mock draft 25 and lower)
1. Leandro Bolmaro
2. Jaden McDaniels
3. Robert Woodard
4. Grant Riller
5. Immanuel Quickley
6. Isaiah Joe

Big board at 38
1. Grant Riller
2. Immanuel Quickley
3. Xavier Tillman
4. Nico Mannion
5. Killian Tillie
6. Udoka Azubuike
7. Mason Jones
8. Udoka Azubuike
9. Cassius Stanley

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#60 » by stitches » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:24 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Big board at 27 (based on tankathon mock draft 25 and lower)
1. Leandro Bolmaro
2. Jaden McDaniels
3. Robert Woodard
4. Grant Riller
5. Immanuel Quickley
6. Isaiah Joe

Big board at 38
1. Grant Riller
2. Immanuel Quickley
3. Xavier Tillman
4. Nico Mannion
5. Killian Tillie
6. Udoka Azubuike
7. Mason Jones
8. Udoka Azubuike
9. Cassius Stanley

For the first time in years I won't have a board for this draft. Have barely watched any prospect...

Return to Utah Jazz