Favors and Clarkson return

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Favors and Clarkson return 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 am

Figured this merited its own thread. Favors on the MLE, Clarkson $13/million a year. Like both signings, we've got a ton of depth now. The draft was still questionable, especially with Gobert/Favors at center.

loserX wrote:Admittedly not all signings need their own threads, but I think these guys are worthy enough that they could at least get a combined one.

(Also yes, D-Fav is my boy, so this is happening now :rock: :rock: )

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Thoughts? Win-win? Lose-lose? Win-lose?

Rotation (guess)
Gobert 34/Favors 14
Favors 10/Bogdanovic 20/Niang 14/Royce 4
Bogdanovic 10/Ingles 24/Royce 14
Mitchell 14/Clarkson 26/Royce 8
Conley 28/Mitchell 20

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: Favors and Clarkson return 

Post#2 » by red4hf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:00 am

Love Favors coming back...... Best news all year.......
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#3 » by tugs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:15 am

Also like the PO for JC on the final year.

As for Favors, great add for immediate contribution on the court and mentorship for the young bigs. Jazz defensive culture is already top notch but adding him provides another dimension
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am

I think Bogdanovic actually provides enough spacing for Favors-Gobert to work just fine on offense. I don't expect that unit to be amazing offensively, but probably okay. Defense should be nuts, though.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#5 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 am

I love Favors but he's getting the same contract as Christian Wood. Don't know if Wood would have had interest though. A lot fewer minutes would be available on the Jazz at his position.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:I love Favors but he's getting the same contract as Christian Wood. Don't know if Wood would have had interest though. A lot fewer minutes would be available on the Jazz at his position.

I would have liked Wood a lot, especially because he can hit a three, but I think there is some extra value to bringing back a fan favorite. Ultimately I don't think it's a huge difference on the court. Better defense w/Favors, better offense w/Wood.

JColl
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:29 am

David Locke was ready to go with his pro Jazz organization spin on the signing of DFav and Clarkson, and he sounded reasonably convincing. I am excited to see this team compete.

Locked On Jazz - Daily Podcast On The Utah Jazz
https://open.spotify.com/show/5PRcngefZpnWgyFyMbYJlk
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#8 » by sip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:36 am

babyjax13 wrote:I think Bogdanovic actually provides enough spacing for Favors-Gobert to work just fine on offense. I don't expect that unit to be amazing offensively, but probably okay. Defense should be nuts, though.

I'm not sure why you think the defense should be nuts. Bogs, Mitchell, Conley, Clarkson and Ingles are mediocre defenders. Royce is the only halfway decent perimeter defender that we have at this point.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 am

sip wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I think Bogdanovic actually provides enough spacing for Favors-Gobert to work just fine on offense. I don't expect that unit to be amazing offensively, but probably okay. Defense should be nuts, though.

I'm not sure why you think the defense should be nuts. Bogs, Mitchell, Conley, Clarkson and Ingles are mediocre defenders. Royce is the only halfway decent perimeter defender that we have at this point.

We are a high level defense when Gobert is in the game, having overlap with Favors will really make scoring inside difficult. I'm not saying the entire team will be great defensively, but Favors really helps us. I anticipate we will be a top 8 offense and defense (slight regression on offense, major improvement on defense).

JColl
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#10 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:49 am

sip wrote:

While I am happy with the Favs signing, there is truth to this. Rubio is/was a good defender and part of the reason the defense was so good when Favs/Gobert were together. We need more than just Royce.

I honestly would be fine with moving on from Conley and trading for the best wing defender we could possibly get. It also would allow the ball in Mitchells hands even more. And it would make the team even bigger. It would be nice if Donovan was the smallest player we routinely played.

is there a player good enough to trade Conley? I have no idea.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
sip wrote:

While I am happy with the Favs signing, there is truth to this. Rubio is/was a good defender and part of the reason the defense was so good when Favs/Gobert were together. We need more than just Royce.

I honestly would be fine with moving on from Conley and trading for the best wing defender we could possibly get. It also would allow the ball in Mitchells hands even more. And it would make the team even bigger. It would be nice if Donovan was the smallest player we routinely played.

Bledsoe is an all NBA defender we could get for Conley

JColl
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#12 » by sip » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
sip wrote:

We don't want Bledsoe. We need to add a defender with some legit size and length.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 am

sip wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

We don't want Bledsoe. We need to add a defender with some legit size and length.

Bledsoe has a 6-8 wingspan, same size as George Hill and other combo guards like that, and is an elite athlete. Not sure you are going to get a better defender. Stick Bledsoe on shooting guards (can switch on wings) and Donovan on point guards.

JColl
Jazz Dog
Jazz Forum GTS Commissioner
And1: 264

Post#14 » by Jazz Dog » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:24 am

I approve of both of these signings.

The top 8 will be very tough.

Conley, Mitchell, Ingles, Bojan and Gobert
Clarkson, O’Neil, Favors

Quite a few interchangeable line ups

I will especially like the

Mitchell, Clarkson, Ingles, Bojan and Favors unit.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#15 » by dautjazz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:27 am

I love it, we got him for bench player money too, so we wont feel pressured to play him in the range of 30mpg, I think about 20mpg during the season would be perfect, we can keep Gobert around 33mpg, Favors gets the backup center minutes, and we can play around with them together at times, maybe to defend a team like the Lakers, but they shouldn't get heavy minutes together like they used too.

Clarkson is a great deal, I thought he might cost us closer to 20M, so I'm ecstatic that we were able to retain him relatively cheap and with enough money left to bring Favs back!

Today has been a WILD day for signings, and man the NBA is just a month away from returning! WOOHOO!
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#16 » by dautjazz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 am

Jazz Dog wrote:I approve of both of these signings.

Clarkson, O’Neil, Favors

What do you think the starting lineup will be? Ingles looked SO much better as a starter in the bubble, I mean naturally his role was bigger too, but I really think we should try to start Bojan and Ingles, and just sub one out mid quarter, so they essentially have the role of a 2nd unit player, but starting. I'd probably take out Ingles mid quarter, and bring him in with the 2nd unit in 2nd quarter.
NickAnderson wrote:

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:34 am

dautjazz wrote:

Clarkson, O’Neil, Favors

What do you think the starting lineup will be? Ingles looked SO much better as a starter in the bubble, I mean naturally his role was bigger too, but I really think we should try to start Bojan and Ingles, and just sub one out mid quarter, so they essentially have the role of a 2nd unit player, but starting. I'd probably take out Ingles mid quarter, and bring him in with the 2nd unit in 2nd quarter.

Locke seemed to imply that maybe Conley won't start? So Ingles may be our shooting guard.

JColl
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#18 » by dautjazz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:40 am

babyjax13 wrote:
sip wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Bledsoe has a 6-8 wingspan, same size as George Hill and other combo guards like that, and is an elite athlete. Not sure you are going to get a better defender. Stick Bledsoe on shooting guards (can switch on wings) and Donovan on point guards.

IDK man Bledsoe was TRASH in the playoffs, and has been the last 3 postseasons. If he can't perform in this stage, why trade Conley who has played exceptionally well in the last two playoffs? Conley was injured much of last season, and in the bubble he seemed to be player we were expecting, I'll take my chances with for another season, and he if he works out he would get significantly less pay in his next contract.

Besides if we traded and had to match the contracts, who else are we getting from the Bucks as Conley is making 16.5M more, so we need to take in like 12-13M more atleast. With Favs we dont need Lopez at all, and screw George Hill after having a career year then leaving us to the damn Kings. Hill is also getting up there in age and looks like he's always missing games, no thanks.

I also feel that some day Mitchell may take over the reigns at PG, would rather him get some more run at the position in the meantime.
NickAnderson wrote:

dautjazz
RealGM

Post#19 » by dautjazz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 am

babyjax13 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

Clarkson, O’Neil, Favors

Locke seemed to imply that maybe Conley won't start? So Ingles may be our shooting guard.

NO WAY, why wouldn't Conley start? He just started for us in playoffs and did all regular season when he played like hot trash, with him healthy, I can't see him coming off the bench. I assume that the idea would be to make Mitchell the PG if Ingles is the SG, but we can start Conley/Mitchell, and take out Mitchell around the 8 min mark or so, and have him be the PG in 2nd half. Imagine a 2nd unit with Favors/Bojan/ONeale/Clarkson/Mitchell for a few minutes, that would drive opponents crazy. I know Bojan and Mitchell are starters, but it makes sense to have some scoring threats alongside Clarkson, sort of like how AD or Lebron are always in the game, they never take out both.
NickAnderson wrote:

CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#20 » by CAE15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:13 am

Conley will come out at about 5 to 6 minutes in.. Donovan will shift over to point. Mike will come back in and help run the 2nd unit

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz