It's Officially Gobert Time!

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

It's Officially Gobert Time! 

Post#1 » by TNJazz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Wow, third larger contract in NBA History and largest EVER by a center! Congrats Rudy! Now lets work to bring home that Jazz Championship you so enthusiastically want!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923248-rudy-gobert-jazz-reportedly-agree-to-historic-5-year-205m-contract-extension?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: It's Officially Gobert Time! 

Post#2 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Well, didn’t see that coming.

On a positive note this came they day after Ryan became the new owner. Clearly they are willing to pay the tax. We might just have a fan who is so rich he’s willing to dramatically overpay. It’s not my money so it’s cool with me.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#3 » by sip » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Well, didn’t see that coming.

On a positive note this came they day after Ryan became the new owner. Clearly they are willing to pay the tax. We might just have a fan who is so rich he’s willing to dramatically overpay. It’s not my money so it’s cool with me.
It shouldn't be cool with you because being in the luxury tax severely limits what a team can do. If you don't have a championship team then it is a horrible way to do business. If Mitchell ends up getting all nba and qualifies for the supermax as well then we are in serious trouble long term.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#4 » by KqWIN » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Had to do it. The other paths were significantly worse. This is only $10M more than a normal max, so not too bad in the end.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#5 » by stitches » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Don't love it, but probably would have hated the alternative more. Congrats to Rudy, I'm happy he got his money. Now that we are set with this team, lets go compete for a championship..
stitches
RealGM

Post#6 » by stitches » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:50 pm

KqWIN wrote:Had to do it. The other paths were significantly worse. This is only $10M more than a normal max, so not too bad in the end.

I wonder if there are incentives in this contract. Usually the initial number is leaked by agents in order to prop themselves up. Is it possible it's really a regular max or even below that with incentives that will get him to that number.
stitches
RealGM

Post#7 » by stitches » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:52 pm

And of course DLZ strike again with the player option:
Read on Twitter

cuz it wouldn't be a DLZ contract if it didn't have a player option in there.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#8 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:58 pm

I think that for Gobert it was all about being respected. He had to be the highest paid center. It could have been worse, but I hate these player 5th year options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#9 » by Catchall » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Jazz were always going to give Rudy the same 5 years / $190M deal that Paul George got. I'm guessing it's incentives that bring the number up over $200M.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#10 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Writing from my phone so I'll make it short: this sucks. I hate it.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#11 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:14 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Writing from my phone so I'll make it short: this sucks. I hate it.

So, the alternative is, tank, get a player like Gobert a then not pay him in a few years?
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#12 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:01 pm

sip wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Well, didn’t see that coming.

It shouldn't be cool with you because being in the luxury tax severely limits what a team can do. If you don't have a championship team then it is a horrible way to do business. If Mitchell ends up getting all nba and qualifies for the supermax as well then we are in serious trouble long term.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

I understand that. But if the option is the Millers who say they will go into the tax but avoid it like the plague, or Ryan and his billions willing to spend and go into the tax, I’m happy to have Ryan.

He’s a local kid from Provo who made it big. Imagine you or I made billions. Would you be willing to watch millions disappear to win Utah a championship? I would. If you have billions what’s a couple dozen more million?

And keeping Rudy is our best chance at a championship over the next 4-5 years.

What I will say is if we trade any player in the next year or two we need draft picks. Our player development and getting decent draft picks is now a priority.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#13 » by Rauxcee » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Is the contract an over pay? Yes. Is he worth the normal max, or close to it? Yes. Is it better to pay the best player by a mile on your team that is the difference between you being lottery bound or a playoff team, so the team can stay competitive, so your second best player doesn't demand a trade in the next 2-3 because he's missed the playoffs in his prime? Yes x10.

A small market team who can't get free agents, even when they have cap space, values making the playoffs more than hoping they get lucky in the draft and draft a generational talent that gets them a championship before they become a URA and bolt from the small market team.

Gobert is the best Jazz player since Stockton and Malone IMO. You can't just let that walk. Plus he took less money than he was eligible for, despite its massiveness. I know some people would prefer to be lottery bound for decades in hopes of getting that generational talent that might, MIGHT, win a chip before they bolt, but I'd rather field a competitive team for as long as possible that might, MIGHT, win a chip if things line up just right. The odds are about the same, but at least one version is with players I enjoy watching and provides better basketball.

I'm a big Gobert fan so I'm relieved. We kept an amazing talent on the team and they didn't leave for greener pastures. Yes we had to pay, but that rarely happens for the Jazz. It's better than losing him for nothing or garbage pieces in a trade. I'm cautiously happy.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#14 » by FJS » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:45 pm

The alternative was not better. I rather to have him with us.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#15 » by AingesBurner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:19 pm

Lots of money but I love Gobert’s loyalty.
Ingles is cooked.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#16 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:51 am

Unless you think Mitchell is overpaid as well, this is right about where Rudy should be as the best player on the team. I mean, Gobert accepted 23 million less than he was eligible for, and he could have held out it. What did people expect?

I find it unfathomable that anyone would hope we'd spend the next year worrying about losing him for nothing or being forced to sell low because of contract status.

Great day for the Utah Jazz!

:rockon:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Catchall
RealGM

Post#17 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:17 am

GobertReport wrote:Lots of money but I love Gobert’s loyalty.

It's not hard to be loyal for $200MM.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:22 am

Here's a question to be aware of though: Is that contract movable in a trade, or is this one of those Tobias Harris unmovable-type deals?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#19 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:39 am

Catchall wrote:Here's a question to be aware of though: Is that contract movable in a trade, or is this one of those Tobias Harris unmovable-type deals?

It is unmovable for a few years.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#20 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:19 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Utah Jazz