Game 2: Minnesota Timberwolves (1-0) @ Utah Jazz (1-0)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Re: Game 2: Minnesota Timberwolves (1-0) @ Utah Jazz (1-0) 

Post#41 » by Neeva » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:19 am

KqWIN wrote:Absolute trash performance from Mitchell, Bogey, and Quin. If any of these three were anything but awful it would have been a free win against a really bad team.

If clarkson wasn’t hot it might have been a blowout though.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#42 » by KqWIN » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:31 am

Neeva wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Absolute trash performance from Mitchell, Bogey, and Quin. If any of these three were anything but awful it would have been a free win against a really bad team.

If clarkson wasn’t hot it might have been a blowout though.

Clarkson wasn’t even that hot. He was 8/17 and only made two jumpers. He got to the basket easily and often because the Wolves were over pursuing everything. That’s what you would expect from Clarkson. If Quin played him more than 23 minutes and Bogey less than 34 the Jazz probably would have completed the comeback.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#43 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:28 am

I blame it on the jersey's. They look great in the promotional material but horrific on the court.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#44 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:41 am

Set rotations are not to be followed if a player is playing horrible.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#45 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:53 am

KqWIN wrote:I used to believe in Quin, but really over the years he's proven to be very average at best.

Finally, a convert! Been saying this forever.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#46 » by tugs » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 am

Daddy 801 wrote:Set rotations are not to be followed if a player is playing horrible.
Exactly when Clarkson's number is called, or Joe's PnRs with the bigs

Silver lining, Jazz looked really polished with their plays, they weren't just converting them. Makeable 3s left and right, those they were making against the Blazers.

Still seriously lacking an inside game though. The "dump it inside and let someone from the block make a play" type
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#47 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Soul Patch wrote:
Anyone listening to the Timberwolves feed? I dig their announcers.

Yes the Minnesota announcers were good. One of them, however, seemed like he might be a Ricky Rubio hater.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#48 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:45 pm

That easy blowout win over Portland was probably a negative. Hopefully this game is a wake up call that there are no nights off in the NBA.

Mitchell is off to a slow start these first couple of games, shooting 30.8% overall and 31.6% from three. There is no carryover from his great playoff play, but I am glad to see other guys involved in the offense anyway.

Rookie Anthony Edwards is off to a great start. For body type, Anthony Edwards looks like a bigger, more powerful version of Donovan Mitchell, and at only 19 years young, he is likely to get even stronger.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#49 » by sip » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:That easy blowout win over Portland was probably a negative. Hopefully this game is a wake up call that there are no nights off in the NBA.

Mitchell is off to a slow start these first couple of games, shooting 30.8% overall and 31.6% from three. There is no carryover from his playoff play, but I am glad to see other guys involved in the offense anyway.

Rookie Anthony Edwards is off to a great start. For body type, Anthony Edwards looks like a bigger, more powerful version of Donovan Mitchell, and at only 19 years young, he is likely to get even stronger.
Edwards looks like he is going to be a star. His size, athleticism and overall skill is going to be a problem for opponents in the very near future.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#50 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Two game sample of polar extremes. How the Jazz let the Wolves take them out of what worked so well against Portland was disconcerting. I was having flashbacks to last season: sloppy passing, no ball movement, walking the ball up the floor the entire 4th quarter trying to come back. Not that thing of beauty offense from the Portland game. Hope this is an early wake-up call for the team. Sky isn't falling yet but I sure expect more disciplined effort in coming games.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#51 » by Denizfeital » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:28 pm

If the Wolves are as bad as I read here, we are in deep trouble.

And, by the way, I hate when we lose games that we were supposed to win, at freaking home.

Regards,
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#52 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I used to believe in Quin, but really over the years he's proven to be very average at best.

Finally, a convert! Been saying this forever.

I don’t believe he is average. The players love him. He makes very good game to game adjustments. His offensive and defensive schemes are usually very good. But he absolutely is terrible (or stubborn) at in game adjustments. If he just rode players who were hot the jazz could probably win 2-5 games more each year.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#53 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:00 am

Gobert bugs me. He made a couple plays in the first half that were basically turnovers. First he shot a one handed lean in slip shot from about 10 feet with plenty of time to get a better look. That was just stupid and selfish and had almost zero chance of converting. It's just not his game, and the fact that he is still playing outside himself and so stupidly is bothersome. The next was maybe worse. With 3 fouls already he tried to do a spin move through Towns. Not around him. He just tried to knock him out of the way. That was beyond stupid. Again, plenty of time to get a better look.

Some mistakes are forgivable when the shot clock is down, but these are just stupid selfish errors that a player with his experience should not be making.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."

Return to Utah Jazz