Jazz should load manage Conley

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Jazz should load manage Conley 

Post#1 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 3:17 pm

The Jazz should load manage Conley. We know he is a risk for this hammy problem and he isn't getting any younger. Don't play him in back to back games. Give him a game off occasionally.

This season has extra tight scheduling, and unlike many other teams, the Jazz have only had one game canceled. The Jazz haven't had key guys like Conley out for covid protocols either. When I looked at the list of top fifty scorers on NBA.com this morning, there were only five players that have played as many games as Conley's 23 games. The only superstar who has logged 23 games is Lebron James. There are numerous stars like Jason Tatum, 16 games, who are only in the teen numbers of games.

I think we need to get smarter about preserving Conley.

I also think the Lakers may be making a mistake by playing Lebron James so many games without rest in his 18th season.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Re: Jazz should load manage Conley 

Post#2 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 5:52 pm

Isn't this his left hammy instead of last year's balky right hammy? I agree on load management - he's too damn critical to the Jazz's prospects. Plus, the team is so deep and connected this year, freeing up more minutes for guys only getting a few rotation minutes most nights could pay some dividends late season.

Related topic - tough year to be a deep bench guy, especially without much of a G-League. I think the Jazz have some longer term keepers who just don't see the floor much.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#3 » by sip » Sat Feb 6, 2021 8:35 pm

I'm not overly concerned about load management when it comes to Conley. He is only playing 29 minutes a game which is a good number for him. I do wish Quin would make an effort though to give guys like Oni, Brantley, Hughes and Udoka some minutes with our core guys. I feel like end of game garbage minutes do nothing for development because by then it turns into more of pickup type game with no structure.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#4 » by TO11 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 10:09 pm

sip wrote:I'm not overly concerned about load management when it comes to Conley. He is only playing 29 minutes a game which is a good number for him. I do wish Quin would make an effort though to give guys like Oni, Brantley, Hughes and Udoka some minutes with our core guys. I feel like end of game garbage minutes do nothing for development because by then it turns into more of pickup type game with no structure.

Yeah I kind of agree with this, more so with Oni, which he has sort of done. I hesitate having an opinion with Udoka and Hughes because we really haven't seen much of them and we aren't at practice (well at least I'm not) :P
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#5 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 2:15 am

TO11 wrote:
sip wrote:I'm not overly concerned about load management when it comes to Conley. He is only playing 29 minutes a game which is a good number for him. I do wish Quin would make an effort though to give guys like Oni, Brantley, Hughes and Udoka some minutes with our core guys. I feel like end of game garbage minutes do nothing for development because by then it turns into more of pickup type game with no structure.

Yeah I kind of agree with this, more so with Oni, which he has sort of done. I hesitate having an opinion with Udoka and Hughes because we really haven't seen much of them and we aren't at practice (well at least I'm not) :P

Theoretically the Jazz are playing their best players hard enough to be 1st in the WC and deep bench ignored. However, I suspect the Jazz staff are working hard with the end of bench roster guys, because that is what hungry small market teams do - grow home grown. Look no further than Ingles and O'Neale as undrafted starters on the roster. NOt gonna look it up but bet no other team has two undrafted players starting on a lock playoff team.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#6 » by TNJazz » Sun Feb 7, 2021 3:21 pm

I agree with load management of Conley. His contributions so far this season are primarily what has gotten this team playing at this high a level, IMHO. I think his example, work ethic, pride in being a pro, and love of the game has put him in a great place as a leader on the team. I believe he is playing at an all-star level and hopefully will make that team. Giving him strategically placed games off where he can be of full value for stretches like what is coming the next 2 weeks would be critical. Too bad this didn't happen before this tightness flared up. Who knows, maybe he is such a pro and looking ahead that he decided he needed to implement some load management and the Charlotte 1/2 game and Pacers game were the perfect place to do so so he could be well rested and ready for the next gauntlet of games?!

This also is a terrific time to give some of the bench payers some run, Shaq has experience, maybe this gives him an opportunity to lather up a sweat. Oni also needs more of an opportunity, so this is it. Take advantage young guns...
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#7 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:24 am

Favors too, for that matter, even though he isn't playing a lot of minutes in the first place. This team has a legit shot at winning a championship if all the cards fall right. Not to mention that HCA isn't nearly as important as years when teams are playing in front of full crowds. It would still be beneficial to finish as high as possible, but the first priority is to go into the playoffs as healthy as possible.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#8 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:21 pm

Two edge sword..Load management and rust management. Sure we need to go into playoffs healthy but we also want to go in top seed to get easier road in playoffs and not have to play both LA teams on the way. I trust out coaches will find balance for both going forward. Do not lose games giving minutes to deep bench players when games are still on the line. Even 1 game can bite us in the butt come playoff time. Next two weeks when be statement time for jazz foes. next two week without lose you'll go up power rankings and I believe set tone entering the playoffs. Balance Rust and health are both importance while trying to win even game.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#9 » by sip » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:26 pm

I think you are underrating homecourt advantage for us. Especially with the pace that we have playing. We are one of two teams that has a legit homecourt advantage simply from the altitude. Couple that with a faster pace than we have ever played and we should have a pretty good advantage. I also think with the Paul George injury we are likely to see the nugs take that 3 seed which is fine by me because I want nothing to do with Jokic. I like the idea of the lakers and nugs at 2 and 3 although the clips at 4 is kind of scary as well. No matter what the west is brutal though so home court could be a big deal.

Return to Utah Jazz