How to add one more piece

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

How to add one more piece 

Post#1 » by sip » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:10 pm

We all know this team looks incredible and I have no interest in trading any of our top 8 right now but I really think we need to find a way to add one more big wing. When I tried playing around on the ESPN trade machine it said we had a 3.5mil trade exception from the Bradley trade and 5mil from the Ed Davis trade. If that is accurate and we are able to use that 5mil exception then Josh Jackson from Detroit is someone that interests me a lot. He has shown some character issues that are a concern but he is 24 with great size and athleticism on the wing and is a solid defender. Offensively he tries to do too much which is why his turnover numbers are high and his shooting percentages are low. I think in our offense you would see his percentages increases and his turnovers drop. He also has one more year on his contract which is why I would be willing to give up a future lottery protected 1st. It would have to be down the line a little bit the protections on the griz pick so I don't know how interested the pistons would be. At 24 they may consider him a core piece for the future but it is well worth a conversation in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
sip
Rookie

Re: How to add one more piece 

Post#2 » by sip » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Remember when we thought the jazz were gonna draft this guy? Pretty much the exact type of player that I think we are missing. He probably wouldn't be ready to contribute this year though. He does look pretty damn good so far in the gleague though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=robert+woodard+g+league+highlights&client=ms-android-att-us-revc&prmd=nvsi&sxsrf=ALeKk02y7N9WbDtkGsVa9oN4tMkIsXy4tQ:1613234247118&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip9vPxpefuAhUCOs0KHempC6UQ_AUoAnoECAMQAg&biw=360&bih=672&dpr=3#

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#3 » by Catchall » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:45 pm

A big, tough, athletic wing or forward would be the piece the Jazz are missing. Ideally, you'd replace Georges Niang in the lineup with a player like Rudy Gay or Larry Nance Jr. I'm not sure Josh Jackson is the guy, but a 6'8" or 6'9", 225-lb wing would be basically what the Jazz need.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm

Trevor Ariza if he’s bought out, Kris Dunn, etc.
Ingles is cooked.
sip
Rookie

Post#5 » by sip » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:00 pm

What about a guy like Bruno Caboclo. I thought he was finally figuring it out a few years ago with the griz and looked really good in the preseason for the rockets. I was surprised when I saw that they didn't keep him.

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#6 » by TNJazz » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:09 am

This team is on an historic roll. Yes a long, touch, athletic wing seems like it is a piece that could bee a terrific addition, but how would they fit into the smoking hot rotation that the Jazz currently have? Georges Niang's name keeps coming up, I have mentioned it a tine or two, but I am starting to believe he brings something tooth's team that no one else has and its a mental focus and attitude that keeps the rest of the team calm. He's the mini van man, who else would give themselves that type of nickname and promote it? That type of self mockery and fun may be what helps this team remain focused and tough. It's a possible intangible that could mess up the chemistry this team has going right now. at 21-6, I'm not sure this team has a missing piece.
sip
Rookie

Post#7 » by sip » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:37 am

TNJazz wrote:This team is on an historic roll. Yes a long, touch, athletic wing seems like it is a piece that could bee a terrific addition, but how would they fit into the smoking hot rotation that the Jazz currently have? Georges Niang's name keeps coming up, I have mentioned it a tine or two, but I am starting to believe he brings something tooth's team that no one else has and its a mental focus and attitude that keeps the rest of the team calm. He's the mini van man, who else would give themselves that type of nickname and promote it? That type of self mockery and fun may be what helps this team remain focused and tough. It's a possible intangible that could mess up the chemistry this team has going right now. at 21-6, I'm not sure this team has a missing piece.
This could be the only shot with this team so do you really want to get to the playoffs and second guess what could have been if we have an untimely injury or 2. During almost every playoff run the championship team has a few games where those deeper bench guys come up huge in a few games.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#8 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 am

While I'm not disagreeing with the premise of a larger wing, there is no one to backup center if Favors or Rudy miss time.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#9 » by vryadli » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 am

Whoever Jazz can bring in now, only mentally stable, team oriented players should be considered. And currently BBIQ of them is ten time more important than formal athletic signs or tales of tape. I will be absolutely wrong to introduce somebody who "trying do to much" and tend to be selfish and/or ball-hoggish in current nicely working team-wise set. Even less Utah can afford somebody with chemistry issues. Jazz chemistry is good, but not bulletproof, they are just set down after Rudy-DM turmoil.
sip
Rookie

Post#10 » by sip » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:11 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:While I'm not disagreeing with the premise of a larger wing, there is no one to backup center if Favors or Rudy miss time.
With Udoka getting injured that is definitely a concern for me. We have an open roster spot to add someone right now if we wanted.

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#11 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:49 am

Yep, the only thing this team really needs is a competent backup center who can hold the fort in case Favors misses time with injury.

That should absolutely be the priority.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:37 am

GobertReport wrote:Trevor Ariza if he’s bought out, Kris Dunn, etc.

Ariza isn't going to play till covid is over b/c of his son.

Per players, I think Mike Muscala could be a nice 4/5 and a slight upgrade over Niang. I know that's not the premise of this thread, but I agree that a third string center is really what we need.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#13 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:59 pm

After shooting 40% plus from three the last two seasons, Niang has really been off this season at 32.9%, but I think his three point shooting will come around. I liked him when he was knocking down nothing but net three pointers last season. I think his D, which is not very great, is a bit better this season than last season.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#14 » by stitches » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:Yep, the only thing this team really needs is a competent backup center who can hold the fort in case Favors misses time with injury.

Udoka? What's the news on his injury?
sip
Rookie

Post#15 » by sip » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:38 pm

stitches wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:Yep, the only thing this team really needs is a competent backup center who can hold the fort in case Favors misses time with injury.

Udoka? What's the news on his injury?
The only news that I have seen is Tony Jones saying it was just a bad sprain. Based on the video I don't think he plays again this year.

sip
Rookie

Post#16 » by sip » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:After shooting 40% plus from three the last two seasons, Niang has really been off this season at 32.9%, but I think his three point shooting will come around. I liked him when he was knocking down nothing but net three pointers last season. I think his D, which is not very great, is a bit better this season than last season.
I expect him to get red hot for a stretch this year and get back to around that 40% mark. I just don't think we can count on him in the playoffs defensively. Especially when we likely have to go through LeBron and Kawhi. The more long defenders we can throw at them the better.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#17 » by AingesBurner » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 pm

Kris Dunn
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#18 » by Catchall » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:While I'm not disagreeing with the premise of a larger wing, there is no one to backup center if Favors or Rudy miss time.

They'll play Morgan as the 3rd-string center. They already were before Udoka got hurt.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#19 » by AingesBurner » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:58 pm

Is there a role for Blake Griffin in Utah?
Ingles is cooked.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#20 » by Charlie_S » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:10 pm

GobertReport wrote:Is there a role for Blake Griffin in Utah?

Honestly Blake looks completely done by now. He moves around like old Dirk. Plus if he gets bought out I see him only going back to LA. I would consider him anyway if he were interested as I believe he could still do something positive with his passing ability and the quality looks he'd get from outside with the Jazz but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he went to another contender.

Return to Utah Jazz