Our big flaw

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: Our big flaw 

Post#41 » by AingesBurner » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:18 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:It is clear.....our only power forward is Favors....and he is the backup center.

We need more defense for PF, and Big Guards......in the playoffs teams will target our small guards....smallest in the league.

Yeah, is it worth targeting Dipo?
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#42 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Mar 3, 2021 8:19 pm

There were reports that the Jazz have been one of a handful of teams to reach out to the Rockets about PJ Tucker. He is making over $7M, is 35 and might be cooked, so I doubt that they were interested in trading for him exclusively. However, if a Bogey for Woods/Tucker trade was discussed, that could be very interesting. Also, Tucker could be an interesting buy out candidate for the Jazz to pick up.

Other buyout candidates or much cheaper trades would be McGee ($4.2M, so probably a buyout candidate) and Whiteside (only $2.3M, which would make him a candidate for either a trade or buyout).
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#43 » by AingesBurner » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:06 pm

Can Wood play PF?
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#44 » by Catchall » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:11 pm

The Jazz need a tough, athletic defensive and rebounding brute. Whomever we bring in at this point isn't going to justify taking offensive possessions away from Mitchell/Conley/Clarkson/Bogdanovic/Ingles/Rudy. But where the Jazz can improve would be in dominating the glass on both ends and forcing more turnovers defensively. This is where we'd have our version of a younger Draymond Green playing at the 4.

Jazz need more toughness and physicality to go against elite physical teams. Jazz need one more hard-working, blue-collar guy, like a bigger version of Royce.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:43 pm

GobertReport wrote:Can Wood play PF?

He can play both PF and Center. He is a good shooter and decent defensively both at the rim and in space, but is slight of build so better as a small ball center. He could potentially defend the taller forwards (I'm thinking KD and AD) in space and serve as the 3rd/small ball center. Question is whether the Rockets are going all in on the rebuild and willing to give him up for Bogey and draft compensation.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:46 pm

Catchall wrote:The Jazz need a tough, athletic defensive and rebounding brute. Whomever we bring in at this point isn't going to justify taking offensive possessions away from Mitchell/Conley/Clarkson/Bogdanovic/Ingles/Rudy. But where the Jazz can improve would be in dominating the glass on both ends and forcing more turnovers defensively. This is where we'd have our version of a younger Draymond Green playing at the 4.

Jazz need more toughness and physicality to go against elite physical teams. Jazz need one more hard-working, blue-collar guy, like a bigger version of Royce.

WIth the Jazz system, that guy would also have to be able to reliably hit the 3. Who potentially fits the bill realistically by the deadline?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#47 » by AingesBurner » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:55 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:The Jazz need a tough, athletic defensive and rebounding brute. Whomever we bring in at this point isn't going to justify taking offensive possessions away from Mitchell/Conley/Clarkson/Bogdanovic/Ingles/Rudy. But where the Jazz can improve would be in dominating the glass on both ends and forcing more turnovers defensively. This is where we'd have our version of a younger Draymond Green playing at the 4.

WIth the Jazz system, that guy would also have to be able to reliably hit the 3. Who potentially fits the bill realistically by the deadline?

OG?
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#48 » by Catchall » Wed Mar 3, 2021 11:07 pm

GobertReport wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

OG?

OG would be good, but Toronto isn't going to move him for anything we can afford. Aaron Gordon and Larry Nance Jr. likely fall into the same category. Spurs aren't going to give us Rudy Gay, and he costs too much for what he does. Trevor Ariza is pretty expensive, and he may be done.

Richaun Holmes is a non-shooter, but he can be a disruptive defender and plus rebounder.

I've said this before, but I'd try giving Jarrell Brantley minutes at the 4 for several games and see if he can settle into this type of role. He'd need to come in, bust his ass, play hard defense for 10 mins/night and not try to do too much offensively. There's also Juwan Morgan already on the roster.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#49 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:00 pm

My internet was down for the Philly game, so I listened to Locke's radio broadcast. Locke appears to be down with the idea that we could use an additional lengthy wing defender. The fact that Locke is talking about it makes me think we may acquire another player, or perhaps give Morgan or Brantley some more playing time after the All Star break to see whether one of them could play well enough to be considered for some spot minutes in the playoffs. For guards, I think Oni is becoming a credible spot defensive player.

I'd love to get a well established player like PJ Tucker, but I don't think we are seriously in the running for PJ Tucker. We don't have enough to work with without trading one of our top eight players, and I am not interested in trading any of our top eight guys for a player that is almost 36 years old and may be fading. And I don't think Houston has any interest in giving up Wood. Houston just waived Cousins so they could develop Wood.

P.J. Tucker trade rumors: Lakers, Heat among six contenders all interested in Rockets forward, per reports
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/p-j-tucker-trade-rumors-lakers-heat-among-six-contenders-all-interested-in-rockets-forward-per-reports/

Snip: Utah would have a far harder time trading for Tucker. They are already over the tax line, and like the Nuggets, they are hard-capped. At present, they have a bit of wiggle room beneath that line, but they lack an adequate trade exception to simply absorb Tucker. They would have to send out matching salary, and with the way that their roster is constructed, they just don't have much of it available. The Jazz have eight players on their roster making more than $2 million. Those eight players, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley, Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, Jordan Clarkson, Derrick Favors and Royce O'Neale, happen to be Utah's eight leaders in minutes played. All of their meaningful salaries happen to be key parts of their rotation, so they do not have an obvious method of acquiring Tucker without compromising the success of their current group.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#50 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:30 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:My internet was down for the Philly game, so I listened to Locke's radio broadcast. Locke appears to be down with the idea that we could use an additional lengthy wing defender. The fact that Locke is talking about it makes me think we may acquire another player, or perhaps give Morgan or Brantley some more playing time after the All Star break to see whether one of them could play well enough to be considered for some spot minutes in the playoffs. For guards, I think Oni is becoming a credible spot player.

I'd love to get an established player like PJ Tucker, but I don't think we are seriously in the running for PJ Tucker. We don't have enough to work with without trading one of our top eight players, and I am not interested in trading any of our top eight guys for a guy that is almost 36 years old and may be fading. I don't think Houston has any interest in giving up Wood. Houston just waived Cousins so they could develop Wood.

P.J. Tucker trade rumors: Lakers, Heat among six contenders all interested in Rockets forward, per reports
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/p-j-tucker-trade-rumors-lakers-heat-among-six-contenders-all-interested-in-rockets-forward-per-reports/

Snip: Utah would have a far harder time trading for Tucker. They are already over the tax line, and like the Nuggets, they are hard-capped. At present, they have a bit of wiggle room beneath that line, but they lack an adequate trade exception to simply absorb Tucker. They would have to send out matching salary, and with the way that their roster is constructed, they just don't have much of it available. The Jazz have eight players on their roster making more than $2 million. Those eight players, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley, Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, Jordan Clarkson, Derrick Favors and Royce O'Neale, happen to be Utah's eight leaders in minutes played. All of their meaningful salaries happen to be key parts of their rotation, so they do not have an obvious method of acquiring Tucker without compromising the success of their current group.

Playing on the Trade Machine Aaron Gordon is a possibility, you just have to decide between trading Bogey or Ingles, both have had their moments but I'd probably choose Bogey because Ingles is just slowwwww, he could be the next Captain Slow. We can still trade our pick as well, we just have to offer the pick that's between protections or take off the protections so it conveys to Memphis this year.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#51 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 8, 2021 5:18 pm

Read there is a chance Otto Porter gets bought out, thats a dream scenario right there, he almost came to the Jazz when Hayward left, he's exactly the sort of player we need. Conley-Mitchell-Bogey-Porter-Gobert with Clarkson, Ingles, O'Neale, and Favors coming off the bench, that would be legit.
Ingles is cooked.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#52 » by D Rog » Mon Mar 8, 2021 6:28 pm

GobertReport wrote:Read there is a chance Otto Porter gets bought out, thats a dream scenario right there, he almost came to the Jazz when Hayward left, he's exactly the sort of player we need. Conley-Mitchell-Bogey-Porter-Gobert with Clarkson, Ingles, O'Neale, and Favors coming off the bench, that would be legit.

I liked the idea of Otto Porter coming to Utah a few years ago. I see the attraction - Size, Can hit the 3, yada, yada, yada. If I remember, he used to be a decent defender but I don't know how he is now. I am not opposed but I question why has he only played 30 games total between last year and this year?

14 of 65 games last year.
16 of 34 games this year.

Chicago Trib Feb 5 2021 article reports back problems
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#53 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 8, 2021 7:51 pm

D Rog wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Read there is a chance Otto Porter gets bought out, thats a dream scenario right there, he almost came to the Jazz when Hayward left, he's exactly the sort of player we need. Conley-Mitchell-Bogey-Porter-Gobert with Clarkson, Ingles, O'Neale, and Favors coming off the bench, that would be legit.

I liked the idea of Otto Porter coming to Utah a few years ago. I see the attraction - Size, Can hit the 3, yada, yada, yada. If I remember, he used to be a decent defender but I don't know how he is now. I am not opposed but I question why has he only played 30 games total between last year and this year?

14 of 65 games last year.
16 of 34 games this year.

Chicago Trib Feb 5 2021 article reports back problems

He definitely was a plus defender.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Mar 8, 2021 8:40 pm

Since this has become the de facto trade deadline trade thread, aside from my trade above to acquire Wood and Tucker for Bogey and a FRP (unlikely, but I like the thought of it if the Rockets decide to go all in on a rebuild), this is another interesting trade:

Oni and Hughes for Whiteside.

This gives the Kings some young players and for the Jazz shores up their backup rim protection and perhaps just as importantly pulls them under the luxury tax, which could save them a ton in repeater taxes next year.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#55 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 8, 2021 9:00 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Since this has become the de facto trade deadline trade thread, aside from my trade above to acquire Wood and Tucker for Bogey and a FRP (unlikely, but I like the thought of it if the Rockets decide to go all in on a rebuild), this is another interesting trade:

Oni and Hughes for Whiteside.

This gives the Kings some young players and for the Jazz shores up their backup rim protection and perhaps just as importantly pulls them under the luxury tax, which could save them a ton in repeater taxes next year.

Hmm I really like Oni, if we brought in a better wing than Minivan, I would do Minivan and Hughes for Whiteside.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#56 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 8, 2021 10:42 pm

Whiteside is abysmal.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Mar 8, 2021 10:56 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Whiteside is abysmal.

Last year playing starter mins for Portland, he averaged 3 blks and 13.5 rbs per game. He wouldn't be brought in to be a starter, but rather for insurance of Favors/Gobert getting hurt to protect the rim and get rebounds. He could also provide flexibility of playing Favors with another big, e.g. defend AD when the Lakers play two bigs. He is super cheap and avoiding repeater tax while accomplishing the foregoing is a bonus. Let's face it, Oni and Hughes are unlikely to find the floor much, if at all, during the playoffs and easily replaceable next year.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#58 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 8, 2021 11:56 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Whiteside is abysmal.

Last year playing starter mins for Portland, he averaged 3 blks and 13.5 rbs per game. He wouldn't be brought in to be a starter, but rather for insurance of Favors/Gobert getting hurt to protect the rim and get rebounds. He could also provide flexibility of playing Favors with another big, e.g. defend AD when the Lakers play two bigs. He is super cheap and avoiding repeater tax while accomplishing the foregoing is a bonus. Let's face it, Oni and Hughes are unlikely to find the floor much, if at all, during the playoffs and easily replaceable next year.

And it was the most empty three blocks and thirteen rebounds ever. He's not mobile, has to be played in drop big coverage, has no sense of timing or rotations at all, bites at everything...I'd rather just sign Kyle O'quin than give up assets for a third string center.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#59 » by sip » Tue Mar 9, 2021 5:20 am

So you want to trade 2 young wings that have the potential to be long term role players for a 3rd string center? That makes no sense at all.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#60 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:31 pm

Here are some free agent rankings by Hoops Hype. I thought some of these players were retired. Probably many of the older ones have seriously declined physically and you would have to be lucky to get one of them in for a tryout that could still move quickly enough to play good NBA defense.

For example, Thabo is on the list. Is he retired or is he still working out hard and trying to get on a team? He's almost 37 years old, but when he played for us two seasons ago, he played decent D and he was a good teammate. His three point shot percentage went to heck in Houston last season though.

I wish we could find a young energetic, diamond in the rough guy not featured on these free agent lists like we found with Junkyard Dog and Royce O'Neale. Wonder if any of our young guys already on the roster could ever develop in that type of player? Wonder if there is a G league player?

List of all free agents:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-free-agent-rankings-top-players-available-right-now/

List of small forward free agents:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-free-agent-rankings-top-small-forwards-available-right-now/

List of power forward free agents:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-free-agent-rankings-top-power-forwards-available-right-now/

Return to Utah Jazz