Our big flaw

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: Our big flaw 

Post#61 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:01 pm

sip wrote:So you want to trade 2 young wings that have the potential to be long term role players for a 3rd string center? That makes no sense at all.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

Let's be honest, wings the ilk of Oni and Hughes are a dime a dozen. They will most likely not even see the court in the playoffs.

However, if Favors goes down, so does the entire hope for any kind of playoff run. Moreover, if teams play two bigs, we then have Bogey or Ingles defending one of the bigs (e.g. AD), which might not go so well. If the Lakers, for example, play a big center and AD and Lebron together (they did last playoffs), if we have someone like Whiteside, we can play Favors and Gobert together to counter as Whitside could take limited backup minutes as a rim protector (all we need is a rim protector and rebounder). That wing everyone wants (but no one can figure out who that would be or how the Jazz would acquire one) probably wouldn't be able to overcome the loss of Favors. There is wing depth, but no big man depth at the moment.

Lastly, the Jazz are in the tax this year (still by a small margin) and most surely will be next year. Their tax bill next year could be quite large as it will be a repeater tax bill if they don't make a move to go below the tax line this year (either of my trades would do that). This might not matter to us, but you have to imagine that the bean counters within the organization are very much aware of it.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#62 » by D Rog » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:08 am

I didn't expect much from the Jazz and they delivered... I was surprised they didn't do a couple of 10 day contracts to see if a trade became available or to see who becomes available in the buyout market.

Adding Ersan Ilyasova is like adding a teaspoon of Everclear to a 5 gallon punch bowl at a church social. Nobody is going to notice.
I guess you can consider it an insurance policy.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#63 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:44 am

D Rog wrote:I didn't expect much from the Jazz and they delivered... I was surprised they didn't do a couple of 10 day contracts to see if a trade became available or to see who becomes available in the buyout market.

Adding Ersan Ilyasova is like adding a teaspoon of Everclear to a 5 gallon punch bowl at a church social. Nobody is going to notice.

The right shot out of the punch bowl could be huge. He make one game winner it'll look like a huge signing. Remember kid name Gaines?
D Rog
Junior

Post#64 » by D Rog » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:12 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
D Rog wrote:I didn't expect much from the Jazz and they delivered... I was surprised they didn't do a couple of 10 day contracts to see if a trade became available or to see who becomes available in the buyout market.

The right shot out of the punch bowl could be huge. He make one game winner it'll look like a huge signing. Remember kid name Gaines?

Ha!! Thanks for that set up...Gaines signed a 10 day contract with the Jazz (While Sloan was still coaching and D Will, Boozer, Okur, Milsap and Kirilenko were on the team. They finished with a 53-29 record and got swept by the Lakers in the 2nd round. If a team is serious about contending then they need to go all in. If it means you take a chance on messing up chemistry but you go out and get a better player than one of your starter or you mortgage your future I respect that. There is a reason Ersan Ilyasova was not picked up by another team half way through the season. I don't think much about adding somebody that MIGHT get 5-10 minutes a game competing for minutes from the guy 9th in your rotation.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#65 » by AingesBurner » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:38 pm

It’s funny every year you guys say we shouldn’t mess with chemistry and I point out a huge need and most of you don’t agree with me until we have issues in the playoffs.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#66 » by AingesBurner » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:41 pm

D Rog wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:

Ha!! Thanks for that set up...Gaines signed a 10 day contract with the Jazz (While Sloan was still coaching and D Will, Boozer, Okur, Milsap and Kirilenko were on the team. They finished with a 53-29 record and got swept by the Lakers in the 2nd round. If a team is serious about contending then they need to go all in. If it means you take a chance on messing up chemistry but you go out and get a better player than one of your starter or you mortgage your future I respect that. There is a reason Ersan Ilyasova was not picked up by another team half way through the season. I don't think much about adding somebody that MIGHT get 5-10 minutes a game competing for minutes from the guy 9th in your rotation.

My dude!
Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#67 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:07 am

D Rog wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:

Okay I'll play along. Who you going after that'll lead us to the promise land? Didn't say Ersan will take us there but I also don't think he'll hurt our chances by being the ninth player off the bench. Who are you thinking?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#68 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:33 am

You know who I'd bring in on a 10-day contract? Thon Maker
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#69 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Catchall wrote:You know who I'd bring in on a 10-day contract? Thon Maker

I forgot about Thong Shaker, what’s he been doing?
Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#70 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:46 pm

I like Thon, isn't he also another Bucks cast off?
D Rog
Junior

Post#71 » by D Rog » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:14 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
D Rog wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:The right shot out of the punch bowl could be huge. He make one game winner it'll look like a huge signing. Remember kid name Gaines?

Okay I'll play along. Who you going after that'll lead us to the promise land? Didn't say Ersan will take us there but I also don't think he'll hurt our chances by being the ninth player off the bench. Who are you thinking?

I know you didn't say Ersan was the man. I just said signing him does nothing for me. I am not talking about signing a free agent. Salary cap limits the Jazz ability to sign anybody of significance at this point. I probably would have signed a couple 10 day contracts to give me time to see who comes available on the trade market or on the buyout market. Maybe the Jazz eat his contract if something better comes along... Who knows? I also don't know what calls the Jazz FO have had and what it would cost to get players that may become available. There are 2 guys I believe may be attainable via trade and would improve our starters, but I don't know what it would cost.

1) I never wanted the Conley deal. The Jazz gave up a lot to get him but I give them credit for swinging for the fences on him. He isn't the guy I would have pursued. He has played well this year but his age does not fit with the age of the Jazz core. His size and his injuries have been an issue. When the Jazz traded for him, I was hoping for DeAngelo Russell. At the start of this season there was still some doubt about Conley's fit and it was apparent the Jazz were going to let DM play point guard. I would have looked at what it would have taken to get Zach Lavine. I would have looked at Zach Lavine prior to the Conley deal. A bigger guard to pair with Donovan that would take some of the scoring burden off Mitchell. Lavine was in the dog house in Chicago and I figure that was more on Jim Boylen (never liked the guy). At the beginning of the season, I believe the Bulls would have looked to get free of salary for what was expected to be a decent 2021 free agency. (Lavine is under contract until Summer 2022). They still might trade Lavine for Conley and a pick or two but like I said earlier I don't know what it would cost. It appears Lavine and his new coach are working better but I still make that call. The salaries don't match but that is the start of a deal. If the focus of a trade for Lavine was Conley, I believe the bulls would have 2 max contracts available for this summer (since Otto Porter's and Conley's contracts would expire).

2) I believe most of us acknowledge Bogey has struggled this year. He has his defensive and athletic limits. He is also older than the guy I want to go with Rudy and DM. The Hawks and John Collins couldn't agree on a contract extension and he is a RFA this summer. There are rumors that he is available. Would the Hawks take Bogey who is locked in on a salary for a couple more years and a pick (maybe two)?

The Jazz can't pull both of these deals off. Honestly I would prefer the Bogey trade at this point. The Jazz could have Collins for 4+ years. He is Younger and more athletic and could extend the length of time the Jazz are actual contenders.

I think there are other deals out there, like I said I just don't know the cost. Ersan just doesn't move my needle. Everybody will have their opinions. There are a 100 armchair Jazz GMs out on this site. We won't always agree.

I predict - Lakers / 76ers or Lakers / Nets in finals
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#72 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:32 pm

D Rog wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
D Rog wrote:

I know you didn't say Ersan was the man. I just said signing him does nothing for me. I am not talking about signing a free agent. Salary cap limits the Jazz ability to sign anybody of significance at this point. I probably would have signed a couple 10 day contracts to give me time to see who comes available on the trade market or on the buyout market. Maybe the Jazz eat his contract if something better comes along... Who knows? I also don't know what calls the Jazz FO have had and what it would cost to get players that may become available. There are 2 guys I believe may be attainable via trade and would improve our starters, but I don't know what it would cost.

1) I never wanted the Conley deal. The Jazz gave up a lot to get him but I give them credit for swinging for the fences on him. He isn't the guy I would have pursued. He has played well this year but his age does not fit with the age of the Jazz core. His size and his injuries have been an issue. When the Jazz traded for him, I was hoping for DeAngelo Russell. At the start of this season there was still some doubt about Conley's fit and it was apparent the Jazz were going to let DM play point guard. I would have looked at what it would have taken to get Zach Lavine. I would have looked at Zach Lavine prior to the Conley deal. A bigger guard to pair with Donovan that would take some of the scoring burden off Mitchell. Lavine was in the dog house in Chicago and I figure that was more on Jim Boylen (never liked the guy). At the beginning of the season, I believe the Bulls would have looked to get free of salary for what was expected to be a decent 2021 free agency. (Lavine is under contract until Summer 2022). They still might trade Lavine for Conley and a pick or two but like I said earlier I don't know what it would cost. It appears Lavine and his new coach are working better but I still make that call. The salaries don't match but that is the start of a deal. If the focus of a trade for Lavine was Conley, I believe the bulls would have 2 max contracts available for this summer (since Otto Porter's and Conley's contracts would expire).

2) I believe most of us acknowledge Bogey has struggled this year. He has his defensive and athletic limits. He is also older than the guy I want to go with Rudy and DM. The Hawks and John Collins couldn't agree on a contract extension and he is a RFA this summer. There are rumors that he is available. Would the Hawks take Bogey who is locked in on a salary for a couple more years and a pick (maybe two)?

The Jazz can't pull both of these deals off. Honestly I would prefer the Bogey trade at this point. The Jazz could have Collins for 4+ years. He is Younger and more athletic and could extend the length of time the Jazz are actual contenders.

I think there are other deals out there, like I said I just don't know the cost. Ersan just doesn't move my needle. Everybody will have their opinions. There are a 100 armchair Jazz GMs out on this site. We won't always agree.

I predict - Lakers / 76ers or Lakers / Nets in finals

I’d keep Bogey over Ingles, Ingles cliff is coming and fast.
Ingles is cooked.
D Rog
Junior

Post#73 » by D Rog » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:46 pm

I don't think you can get much in return for Ingles, especially since the Jazz added another year to his contract last year... I don't understand the timing for that extension. I agree, the cliff is coming and fast.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#74 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:22 pm

D Rog wrote:I don't think you can get much in return for Ingles, especially since the Jazz added another year to his contract last year... I don't understand the timing for that extension. I agree, the cliff is coming and fast.

I also didn't want the Conley trade to go down but he brings vet leadership that's hard to replace and is having a great year so who knows. Think I also missed that one. As for Joe I. He's like a bottle of wine and seem to keep getting better over time where Bogey isn't . I do how ever like both player but if Collins is there you make the move. Not really huge fan a Zach Lavin I think he's over hyped a bit and wouldn't mined seeing the jazz land Otto Porter.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#75 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:47 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
I like Thon, isn't he also another Bucks cast off?

Detroit and Cleveland most recently. He's not a guy you can rely on to play a big role, but in the George Niang minutes against the right matchup, it could work. He looked good in garbage time when the Jazz played the Cavs.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#76 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 pm

D Rog wrote:I don't think you can get much in return for Ingles, especially since the Jazz added another year to his contract last year... I don't understand the timing for that extension. I agree, the cliff is coming and fast.

He can’t guard anyone anymore, he’s worth half his pay check right now. If you could get Aaron Gordon for him you do it.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#77 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:57 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:

I also didn't want the Conley trade to go down but he brings vet leadership that's hard to replace and is having a great year so who knows. Think I also missed that one. As for Joe I. He's like a bottle of wine and seem to keep getting better over time where Bogey isn't . I do how ever like both player but if Collins is there you make the move. Not really huge fan a Zach Lavin I think he's over hyped a bit and wouldn't mined seeing the jazz land Otto Porter.

His defense is all but gone, his value as a 3&D is gone, if he was making 7 mill it’s worth keeping but 14 mill next year? Woof. I think Bogey is still recovering from surgery.
Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#78 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:29 pm

GobertReport wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:

His defense is all but gone, his value as a 3&D is gone, if he was making 7 mill it’s worth keeping but 14 mill next year? Woof. I think Bogey is still recovering from surgery.

HIs? I'm guessing your talking about Joe? Was he ever great at D? I do believe his veteran leadership is true value for Utah and a 3 here and there. You can still go to the Clippers board and there're still mad Doc didn't keep Joe. Last game I visited there board so I know first hand. Joe is still scary slow and good and brings value.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#79 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm

See I think Jazz have the players needed to win it all this year. We just need to be playing at our best come playoff time. Yeah it's not going to be easy with our players but we have the team and guns to do it. Do we have some weak points? Yeah sure but every team in the league have the very same problem. Weak points. Then you throw in key injuries to any given team they're done. Lakers not getting a healthy fresh AD back I'd not give them a good chance to repeat. Joel Embiid doesn't come back healthy i'd give them very low odds coming out of the east. Rudy sprained ankle the jazz would be finished. I don't think huge moves are needed.
D Rog
Junior

Post#80 » by D Rog » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 pm

GobertReport wrote:

He can’t guard anyone anymore, he’s worth half his pay check right now. If you could get Aaron Gordon for him you do it.

Never been a huge Aaron Gordon fan. He is the right size and he is athletic. His team that is crashing and a change may do him some good but his 3 pt% (granted this year is 36%) but last year was 30%.

Return to Utah Jazz