Question for Elijah Milsap

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Twosticker21
Ballboy
And1: 16

Question for Elijah Milsap 

Post#1 » by Twosticker21 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm

What could a bench player say in an exit interview that a would lead a team executive to cut him off and threaten to cut him from the team: “if u say one more word, I’ll cut your Black ass and send you back to Louisiana”. [url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

What did Elijah Milsap say, that Dennis Lindsey stopped the conversation and told Elijah to not “say one more word”?

By his own admission “Millsap said he remembers being "high energy" going into that meeting and eager to hear what Lindsey and Snyder would say to him". (https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/25/22300139/nba-launches-investigation-alleged-bigoted-racial-comments-dennis-lindsey-utah-jazz-elijah-millsap) What does Elijah Milsap mean when he says entered the meeting/conversation being "high energy”?

I have no idea what Dennis Lindsey did or didn’t say, and with an active investigation the Dennis, the Jazz, and the NBA will be very careful with public reports. So at this point we are only getting Elijah’s side of the story/investigation. But I’ll be interested to see if the investigation gives us insight into what if anything Elijah said in the conversation and moments before that lead up to’s accusation of Dennis’s comment.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Question for Elijah Milsap 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm

I think it’s being taken out of context, if a Black person told me to get my white ass out of there office I would personally find it humorous.
Ingles is cooked.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#3 » by D Rog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 pm

I just think if you have a problem with something somebody said you bring it up right then and right there. Worst case scenario, you bring it up the next day. Be civilized and work it out... Waiting 6 years??? Elijah may have misheard or misunderstood or taken something out of context. If he tried to clear things up immediately then things could have been resolved. I have $5 that says the jazz begin video and audio recording all conversations between management and players whenever possible.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:11 am

D Rog wrote:Waiting 6 years??? .

Tymezup
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:40 am

I assume Millsap didn't bring it up at the time because he was concerned he'd have trouble getting picked up by another team and was trying to make it in the NBA. It's not like he was a star player, he couldn't afford to ruffle feathers. There is a power imbalance there.
From the entire quote of what DL supposedly said, I'm actually more bothered by the threat to cut a player from the team.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#6 » by pickIBL » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:51 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I assume Millsap didn't bring it up at the time because he was concerned he'd have trouble getting picked up by another team and was trying to make it in the NBA. It's not like he was a star player, he couldn't afford to ruffle feathers. There is a power imbalance there.
From the entire quote of what DL supposedly said, I'm actually more bothered by the threat to cut a player from the team.

Your points are all valid. I've just learned it cuts both ways
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#7 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:50 am

At my age I have a lot of doubt Elijah's narrative is accurate. Not saying impossible, but seriously, the Jazz don't have race issues going on witht the team or management. Utah is weird, but the Jazz FO isn't.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#8 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:01 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I assume Millsap didn't bring it up at the time because he was concerned he'd have trouble getting picked up by another team and was trying to make it in the NBA. It's not like he was a star player, he couldn't afford to ruffle feathers. There is a power imbalance there.

So why bring it up now? Looking for one last payday or is he still mad Dennis didn't pick him up back in the day? Hate when people make claims years later. True or not you bring it up then.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#9 » by goober » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Looks like the independent investigation cleared the Jazz of the accusation
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:14 pm

And Elijah Millsap just **** the bed on ever getting into the league again.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:22 am

GobertReport wrote:And Elijah Millsap just **** the bed on ever getting into the league again.

He's 33 and hasn't played in the league since 2016, so there was no chance of that, anyway.

I hope that this is simply a situation where something that was said was misheard, and I also think that piling onto Millsap over this would just increase the perception of Jazz fans being racist. What we know is that his story can't be corroborated - it could be it didn't happen and he was lying (don't see the motivation for him to do this), it could be that it didn't happen but he misheard something and thought it did, it could be that it did happen and there is just no evidence to prove it. From what we've seen of the organization in recent years, I would be very surprised to see something like this happen, so I think it's best for all involved to chalk it up as an unfortunate misunderstanding and move on, but also be vigilant about this stuff in the future, and by sympathetic to the fact that there's still a chance that it did happen.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:44 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:And Elijah Millsap just **** the bed on ever getting into the league again.

He's 33 and hasn't played in the league since 2016, so there was no chance of that, anyway.

I hope that this is simply a situation where something that was said was misheard, and I also think that piling onto Millsap over this would just increase the perception of Jazz fans being racist. What we know is that his story can't be corroborated - it could be it didn't happen and he was lying (don't see the motivation for him to do this), it could be that it didn't happen but he misheard something and thought it did, it could be that it did happen and there is just no evidence to prove it. From what we've seen of the organization in recent years, I would be very surprised to see something like this happen, so I think it's best for all involved to chalk it up as an unfortunate misunderstanding and move on, but also be vigilant about this stuff in the future, and by sympathetic to the fact that there's still a chance that it did happen.

That is a fair statement but is someone commenting on the color of your ass racism? I think at one point we have to draw a line and stop being offended. I don’t know, you know how I feel about today’s climate.
Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#13 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:06 am

babyjax13 wrote:

I don't think misheard was ever said by Elijah? Odd that he'd wait so long to make such claims at this point. What good could ever come form labeling someone racist years after the so called thing happened? Happen or not it's pretty stupid to bring it up years later. Something you clear up the day that second or you let it go!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:33 am

babyjax13 wrote:

It was quite obvious that there was never going to be "proof" that this happened. But because Elijah spoke out, you can guarantee people are going to be considerate with their words and hopefully the Jazz have put the measures in place so that if this does happen in the future, appropriate action can take place. I also think the Jazz needed to show to their players and employees that this type of thing will be taken seriously. I do feel like there could have been some better handling of the initial report. Saw some really harsh things said towards Elijah just for saying something.

If I'm going to be honest, the alleged saying is something people probably didn't even realize was racist back then. Hell, around the same time Danny Ferry (well respected, well mannered man) said to be careful of Luol Deng because he has a lot of African in him on tape and they kept that in their scouting report. It was a different time and people were very comfortable saying things that are obviously not ok. I'm not going to speculate on whether or not DL said it, but it does not surprise me that something like that was said 6 years ago.

As for waiting all this time, it's quite obvious why he wouldn't feel comfortable saying it then. There's an obvious power dynamic and I honestly don't think people would have cared back then. Again, I think you'd fine a lot of people who didn't find it inappropriate at all. When there's a power dynamic a play, the idea of a potential victim having to "use it or lose it" by saying something on the spot is a pretty disgusting thought.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:49 am

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

It was quite obvious that there was never going to be "proof" that this happened. But because Elijah spoke out, you can guarantee people are going to be considerate with their words and hopefully the Jazz have put the measures in place so that if this does happen in the future, appropriate action can take place. I also think the Jazz needed to show to their players and employees that this type of thing will be taken seriously. I do feel like there could have been some better handling of the initial report. Saw some really harsh things said towards Elijah just for saying something.

If I'm going to be honest, the alleged saying is something people probably didn't even realize was racist back then. Hell, around the same time Danny Ferry (well respected, well mannered man) said to be careful of Luol Deng because he has a lot of African in him on tape and they kept that in their scouting report. It was a different time and people were very comfortable saying things that are obviously not ok. I'm not going to speculate on whether or not DL said it, but it does not surprise me that something like that was said 6 years ago.

As for waiting all this time, it's quite obvious why he wouldn't feel comfortable saying it then. There's an obvious power dynamic and I honestly don't think people would have cared back then. Again, I think you'd fine a lot of people who didn't find it inappropriate at all. When there's a power dynamic a play, the idea of a potential victim having to "use it or lose it" by saying something on the spot is a pretty disgusting thought.

Well said.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#16 » by TNJazz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Not commenting on whether DL made the comments or not, but if they were said, statements like that have long been a part of our culture and considered acceptable by a portion of that community. Those impacted by such comments have not had a strong voice and, like any other form of abuse, those victimized are not usually able to immediately come forward. Look at the comments being made regarding politicians both currently and a few years ago. These allegations weren't reported immediately. It took some time for society to be more supportive before victims felt empowered enough to say something. Maybe this is the case for Elijah, maybe it's something else. Regardless, I think the Jazz organization handled it well by cooperating fully with the outside investigation. It shows that IF this is a problem, they seems be willing to deal with it and make it right. Both sides got to express their views and the Organization gets to state they will not tolerate this type of behavior.

Something happened. It seems as if it wasn't at the level Elijah remembers it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was impacted and finally felt he needed to report it as he remembers it. I am glad the Jazz didn't avoid this and I hope Elijah is able to heal and move on in a healthy way.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#17 » by AingesBurner » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:40 pm

The likely statement: I’ll send your ass back to Mississippi.
Ingles is cooked.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter

Post#18 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 am

GobertReport wrote:The likely statement: I’ll send your ass back to Mississippi.

Or Jazz are back so we don't need your services any longer. You can go home now. :roll:
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#19 » by AingesBurner » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:16 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
GobertReport wrote:The likely statement: I’ll send your ass back to Mississippi.

Or Jazz are back so we don't need your services any longer. You can go home now. :roll:

That too but I’m trying to point out that black was not in there.
Ingles is cooked.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#20 » by goober » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:20 pm

The investigation is over so I think at this point there's no reason to focus on what could have happened

Return to Utah Jazz