AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Conley's next contract 

Post#41 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:45 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:
Philadelphia will burn if that's all Simmons is traded for.......

Listening to NBA insider, GM’s prefer picks over players, easier to sell hope. I think Simmons goes for a lot of picks that Philly can flip for a better player.

Alas we have no picks to offer..... No picks of value, anyway........

The valuable picks are in 26, 27, and 28.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#42 » by red4hf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 10:58 pm

GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Listening to NBA insider, GM’s prefer picks over players, easier to sell hope. I think Simmons goes for a lot of picks that Philly can flip for a better player.

There's not a chance the Jazz are going to offer unprotected picks that far ahead.......
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#43 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 6, 2021 1:02 am

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

There's not a chance the Jazz are going to offer unprotected picks that far ahead.......

If it gets you a good player and ring, it’s worth it.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf

Post#44 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 6, 2021 2:32 pm

GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Ben Simmons won't make us champions when he comes at the expense of Bogdanovic and Ingles.......
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#45 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 7, 2021 1:05 am

Problem with people pegging Conley at 15 million per year..okay if that's the case then suddenly you have 15 million from the jazz who are a contender or MLE for a slew of teams he can pick from that gets around 10 million per year. Personally I think our offer will be around 20-25 per year over 3. Maybe non guaranteed in the last year or declining contract or something.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#46 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jul 7, 2021 7:36 pm

Under the Miller regime, this wouldn't even be a conversation. Ryan Smith, it appears, is ready to spend big to get the results, which is encouraging as fans.

While I would really like Conley back, given his age and hammy issues a $60M 3 yr deal sounds scary. The Jazz' options are pretty limited otherwise, though.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#47 » by dr0welf » Wed Jul 7, 2021 11:59 pm

CAE15 wrote:Problem with people pegging Conley at 15 million per year..okay if that's the case then suddenly you have 15 million from the jazz who are a contender or MLE for a slew of teams he can pick from that gets around 10 million per year. Personally I think our offer will be around 20-25 per year over 3. Maybe non guaranteed in the last year or declining contract or something.

You could be right, and I think we are pretty close to the same thoughts. I just feel like this is going to be Conley's last contract so I'm expecting it to go for more years. 3 yr 20/year is 60 mil, I think that gets spread over 4 years with an player option in there for Conley. If he keeps up and stays healthy he can opt out and go for another big contract otherwise the security is there but the overall contract is the same $ amount for his pocket book.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#48 » by eLo » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:10 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

I don’t think Conley will care about fit, it will be about those dollar dollar bills.

You're absolutely right about that...... However, the team will care...... The Knicks are not going to splash $30 million on a player that doesn't fit their system or timeline....... Neither will OKC....... Spurs already have plenty of PGs.......

So, who's left?

Yes, this article from KSL that I posted a couple of weeks ago claimed that the Miami Heat and NY Knicks are the only two teams in need of a veteran point guard that have cap space to sign one, but I don't know why either of those teams would want to spend their free agent money on a high dollar, multi year contract for this oft-injured, soon to be 34 year old point guard.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50190581/how-mike-conleys-free-agency-will-shape-the-jazzs-offseason

Conley talks like there is nothing wrong; he wants the Jazz and the league to think of him as a normal, healthy All Star going in to free agency, but there is something wrong. He has missed a ton of games the last two seasons, including playoff games when we needed him the most. He's had recurring hamstring injuries and he isn't getting any younger.

I want the Jazz to sign him, but at a price and contract length that is somewhat reflective of the high risk that he may not suit up when we need him and reflective of the fact that he is relatively old for a point guard --- two years, $15 mill/season at the most. I am doubtful any other team is willing to offer Conley a better contract than that. Hope I don't have to eat my words. Lol.

Dude is old he is injury prone, i dont see any reason why Jazz should go after him if price will be high
ChiroMike
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#49 » by ChiroMike » Thu Jul 8, 2021 2:50 pm

The Jazz have to sign him or take a step back in their level of competition next year. If the Jazz don't sign him we lose his salary slot with his bird rights. The Jazz will be stuck being all in on Rudy and Donovan. If that is the case, I pray we can trade Rudy's contract because they are not good enough alone to bring us the championship.
red4hf

Post#50 » by red4hf » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:49 pm

Getting back to our regularly scheduled programming:

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/report-knicks-eyeing-mike-conley-in-free-agency-represent-biggest-threat/

All I have to say is, WTF.......
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#51 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:14 pm

red4hf wrote:Getting back to our regularly scheduled programming:

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/report-knicks-eyeing-mike-conley-in-free-agency-represent-biggest-threat/

Real GM has a report from The Athletic today saying that the Knicks are looking to trade for PG Collin Sexton.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263311/Knicks-Most-Aggressive-In-Collin-Sexton-Trade-Talks
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#52 » by stitches » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:

Real GM has a report from The Athletic today saying that the Knicks are looking to trade for PG Collin Sexton.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263311/Knicks-Most-Aggressive-In-Collin-Sexton-Trade-Talks

THere is something about Sexton that appeals to me. IMO he has the IT factor... whatever you want to call it. He is a competitor, he fights his ass off on the floor and that's not what you usually say for players of the type of skillset that Sexton has. He's not exactly what we need next to Mitchell(bigger guard, more defensively inclined), but still... I don't think I would mind us getting him somehow...
red4hf

Post#53 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 pm

stitches wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

THere is something about Sexton that appeals to me. IMO he has the IT factor... whatever you want to call it. He is a competitor, he fights his ass off on the floor and that's not what you usually say for players of the type of skillset that Sexton has. He's not exactly what we need next to Mitchell(bigger guard, more defensively inclined), but still... I don't think I would mind us getting him somehow...

I agree, there's just something about him I like......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#54 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:41 am

Sexton is interesting. I don't think we have anything we can use to trade for him but if we can get him instead of Conley that'd be a good thing in my book. He fits much better with DM's timeline.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#55 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Rumor is that the Knicks are offering Toppin, Knox and one of their 2021 FRP for Sexton. Jazz can't sniff that offer.

However, good news if you want the Jazz to re-sign Conley as the Knicks and the Mavs have been the two teams mentioned as desiring to sign him. Re-signing Conley wouldn't be the worst thing in the world given the fact that this team had the best record in the NBA regular season and might have gone to the Finals if he were healthy, and the Jazz' options in free agency are very limited due to their cap situation.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#56 » by Lava Rock Kid » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:52 am

I think Conley will sign with the lakers for the mid level. He will automatically be a first team all star pick and that would be a lock to win it all. He goes out with a ring.

The lakers don’t want to pay there point guard, Conley makes sense.

I hope not. But it would be a smart move for mike.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#57 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:24 pm

Lava Rock Kid wrote:I think Conley will sign with the lakers for the mid level. He will automatically be a first team all star pick and that would be a lock to win it all. He goes out with a ring.

The lakers don’t want to pay there point guard, Conley makes sense.

I hope not. But it would be a smart move for mike.

No doubt that Los Angeles is an attractive destination market, but calling a big three of Lebron, AD and Conley a lock to win it all is too much imho. Lebron only played 45 regular seasons games last season; AD played 36 games and Conley played 51 games. Imo, all three of those players are an above average risk to miss a significant amount of regular season games and/or playoff games.

Lebron is right at the total minutes, that is regular season plus playoff minutes, where our own legendary NBA ironman, Karl Malone, started to break down. Lebron has 61,090 total mins to Malone's 62,761 total minutes. Only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has more minutes. AD is prime age, but he appears to be one of those players who is susceptible to injuries. Conley, in addition to being a relatively old point guard, may or may not have chronic hamstring issues.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#58 » by stitches » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:10 pm

I think Conley will have much more robust market than MLE.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 207

Post#59 » by Gert42 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:59 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Ben Simmons won't make us champions when he comes at the expense of Bogdanovic and Ingles.......

And Philly isn't shipping him out for that package either.

I voted for 3 years/65 million option a few weeks ago and I stand by it I think. The problem with a partial rebuild to appease Donovan Mitchell is that I'm not sure tearing down for a potentially better tomorrow is worth the short term step backs it may take.

I think if they re-sign Conley and run it back, they are a Top 4 team in the West again, and maybe that isn't good enough for him either, but I also think with Rudy's contract being unmovable and how asset poor they are (minus unprotected picks, which is also frightening to lose), I think Conley is coming back.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,279

Post#60 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:50 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Rumor is that the Knicks are offering Toppin, Knox and one of their 2021 FRP for Sexton. Jazz can't sniff that offer.

However, good news if you want the Jazz to re-sign Conley as the Knicks and the Mavs have been the two teams mentioned as desiring to sign him. Re-signing Conley wouldn't be the worst thing in the world given the fact that this team had the best record in the NBA regular season and might have gone to the Finals if he were healthy, and the Jazz' options in free agency are very limited due to their cap situation.

I think we can easily beat it. Toppin had a terrible rookie year and his upside looks like maybe Bobby Portis 2.0. Knox sucks, absolutely sucks. So really it's the 19th pick, and the roll of a dice on a guy who does not look that promising?

e.g. I think this offer beats it:

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic, Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni, 30, 2026 UTA 1st (lottery protected 2 yrs, then 2 2nds)
Utah receives: Collin Sexton, Kyle Kuzma

LA Lakers trade: Kyle Kuzma, 22
LA Lakers receive: Bojan Bogdanovic

Cavs trade: Collin Sexton
Cavs receive: Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni, 22, 30, 2026 UTA 1st (lottery protected 2 yrs, then 2 2nds)

LA is probably the wrong third team. You'd need someone who wants Bojan but not Sexton, but something of that ilk I think is (a) possible, and (b) makes sense if we want to/have to move on from Mike. I'm a grad student at Alabama now, I know people who have worked in the tutoring center and raved about Sexton's work ethic, and I know one of the score keepers for Alabama basketball who also loved him. I think he's an incredibly likeable guy, and I'd hate to have to gameplan against Sexton+Mitchell+Clarkson's individual creation prowess + a bunch of floor spacing + Rudy's roll game.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz