DWade urging Jazz to make FO changes-New tweet

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Re: DWade urging Jazz to make FO changes 

Post#21 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 am

erudite23 wrote:
I think the last 20 years of Jazz basketball shows pretty clearly that this franchise is more interested in staying out of the bottom of the standings than they are in building a true championship contender.

I always have to laugh every time somebody makes this claim. There's never been a shred of truth to it, and that should be absolutely clear given the current situation the team is in. I mean, do you really believe that Utah just accidentally stumbled into the current roster? Building a championship team is extremely hard, and even if a FO does as good of a job as possible, it still takes a certain amount of luck with things like favorable match ups and staying healthy at the right time. As for penny pinching, a lot of that is just a matter of perspective, as the salary cap makes it absolutely necessary to spend money wisely. Look at the old New York Knicks teams that used to try and buy championships by throwing money around. Not only did it not work as far as winning it all, they couldn't even build good teams and finally gave in to trying to keep their draft picks and build a team that way.

Anyway, Utah has a chance to win it all this year, and if they do I'll be really interested in what happens to this false narrative of Utah not trying to win a championship. Nobody accidentally wins a championship in the NBA.

P.S. Fans used to make this claim all the time, and then when the Deron/Boozer teams looked like they could make a deep playoff run, Utah payed the luxury tax for 2 years. This myth kinda died out for a while after that, but for some reason is making a comeback. Nobody pays the lux tax for 2 years if they aren't trying to win a championship.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: DWade urging Jazz to make FO changes 

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Re: DWade urging Jazz to make FO changes-New tweet 

Post#23 » by Catchall » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:52 am

I don't think you give up on Quin. He managed a team that had the best record in the league despite some key injuries. He more or less maximizes the talent he has on the roster.

The front office took a gamble on Mike Conley and lost, but otherwise made decent moves with Bogdanovic and Clarkson.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#24 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:04 am

[tweet][/tweet]
Catchall wrote:I don't think you give up on Quin. He managed a team that had the best record in the league despite some key injuries. He more or less maximizes the talent he has on the roster.

The front office took a gamble on Mike Conley and lost, but otherwise made decent moves with Bogdanovic and Clarkson.

I’d only replace Quin with Carlisle but the FO is too reliant on analytics, DL is NBA Billy Beane and Billy Beane has 0 World Series wins.
Ingles is cooked.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 448

Post#25 » by bkohler » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 am

The Jazz have the smallest analytics staff in the NBA and DL is on record not being a huge analytics guy… you might actually want someone in the other direction.

Billy didn’t win any World Series… but the Rays / Sox / Cubs have all won with analytics. :D
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#26 » by Catchall » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:29 am

GobertReport wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
Catchall wrote:I don't think you give up on Quin. He managed a team that had the best record in the league despite some key injuries. He more or less maximizes the talent he has on the roster.

I’d only replace Quin with Carlisle but the FO is too reliant on analytics, DL is NBA Billy Beane and Billy Beane has 0 World Series wins.

The Jazz front office has been facing the sobering reality that Utah is a small-market franchise that doesn't attract top-tier free agents. They're trying to compensate for lack of All NBA star power with ball movement, optimized shot distribution, and a defensive emphasis on the rim and the 3pt line. Teams like San Antonio and Dallas proved that it's possible to beat super teams (e.g., Heatles) with superior coaching and discipline.

The question with the Jazz in recent years is whether they can compete athletically with big, strong wings that other teams have. The game gets faster and more physical in the playoffs, and some of our guys who aren't top-of-the-line athletes struggle to compete.

For the past 30 years, the NBA has been dominated by versatile, athletic, two-way wings. The Jazz haven't had one since Gordon Hayward left.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#27 » by vryadli » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am

Catchall wrote:
GobertReport wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

The Jazz front office has been facing the sobering reality that Utah is a small-market franchise that doesn't attract top-tier free agents. They're trying to compensate for lack of All NBA star power with ball movement, optimized shot distribution, and a defensive emphasis on the rim and the 3pt line. Teams like San Antonio and Dallas proved that it's possible to beat super teams (e.g., Heatles) with superior coaching and discipline.

The question with the Jazz in recent years is whether they can compete athletically with big, strong wings that other teams have. The game gets faster and more physical in the playoffs, and some of our guys who aren't top-of-the-line athletes struggle to compete.

For the past 30 years, the NBA has been dominated by versatile, athletic, two-way wings. The Jazz haven't had one since Gordon Hayward left.

Only if you can make your team to play on the top of their abilities 48 minutes and coach can not only to design team in vacuum, but also is able to make adjustment on real court. Basically current Jazz has strong team game but weakling's attitude. It is the most full of today excuses and tomorrow wins of all teams in NBA. Crying about Conley injury when opponent lose K., that is really and finally pathetic.

Return to Utah Jazz