Trade targets

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Trade targets 

Post#201 » by stitches » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 am

tugs wrote:Got notified by Yahoo that there was a Jazz trade but it didn't have any details. What happened?

30 for 40 + 2 future second round picks.
Wolverine
Rookie
And1: 109

Post#202 » by Wolverine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:46 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Hopefully we can jump in the Simmons stakes

To pull off a deal with 76ers it sounds like we'd need to trade Rudy and Mitchell and 5 first round picks. :banghead: 76ers are asking a LOT and no takers. Other teams are laughing at offers coming in.

As teams keep rejecting offers they’ll need to drop the demand. Conley + Clarkson and fillers. All star plus smoty
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#203 » by tugs » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:11 am

stitches wrote:
tugs wrote:Got notified by Yahoo that there was a Jazz trade but it didn't have any details. What happened?

30 for 40 + 2 future second round picks.
Thanks!
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#204 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am

I'm now looking at Talen Horton-Tucker. He's a young wing who can move the ball and play defense. Shot isn't great but I think will improve. I'm thinking:

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic, cash, future 2nd
Utah receives: THT

LA Lakers trade: THT, McKinnie
LA Lakers receive: Bogdanovic

Team X trades: fake 2nd
Team X receives: McKinnie, cash, future 2nd

Follow up with Favors + 2 2nds for some minimum players (lets say Caleb and Cody Martin), resign Conley, sign someone like Mike Scott for the minimum...

Gobert/Azubuike
O'neale/Scott
Ingles/THT
Mitchell/Clarkson
Conley/Butler

I think that team is about as good as this past season, but with a little more future flexibility. Wouldn't be surprised if Ingles or Clarkson are moved, tbh, especially Clarkson with Butler dropping to us.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
tugs
RealGM

Post#205 » by tugs » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:09 am

babyjax13 wrote:I'm now looking at Talen Horton-Tucker. He's a young wing who can move the ball and play defense. Shot isn't great but I think will improve. I'm thinking:

Follow up with Favors + 2 2nds for some minimum players (lets say Caleb and Cody Martin), resign Conley, sign someone like Mike Scott for the minimum...

Gobert/Azubuike
O'neale/Scott
Ingles/THT
Mitchell/Clarkson
Conley/Butler

I think that team is about as good as this past season, but with a little more future flexibility. Wouldn't be surprised if Ingles or Clarkson are moved, tbh, especially Clarkson with Butler dropping to us.
Yeah now Kuzma's gone he's the next prime candidate. Young with potential and we all know LA is in win now mode
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#206 » by CAE15 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am

babyjax13 wrote:I'm now looking at Talen Horton-Tucker. He's a young wing who can move the ball and play defense. Shot isn't great but I think will improve. I'm thinking:

Gobert/Azubuike
O'neale/Scott
Ingles/THT
Mitchell/Clarkson
Conley/Butler

Not a chance in hell I'm moving Bogey to the Lakers for a sign and traded THT which would also hardcap us. The dude shoots 28% from 3! It's just another young wing they try to hype up. If I'm trading Bogey I'm getting a 3 and D lengthy player.
tugs
RealGM

Post#207 » by tugs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 am

Man, why do I feel like the same package we sent to save cap could've been used with the Kings to get Delon Wright. Solid back up PG and hell of a defender
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#208 » by CAE15 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:43 am

tugs wrote:Man, why do I feel like the same package we sent to save cap could've been used with the Kings to get Delon Wright. Solid back up PG and hell of a defender
People are overrating Favors impact. Tristan is a far more useful player than Favors was, Tristan can actually be a starter throughout a season. Favors just can't
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#209 » by AingesBurner » Sun Aug 1, 2021 8:11 pm

Tobias Harris is on the block, I would trade Ingles and Bogey for him. Get Otto Porter or Batum on the TMLE, and Iggy on the BAE or Vet min. Conley-Mitchell-O’Neale-Harris-Gobert with Clarkson, Batum/Porter, Butler, and FA off the bench.
Ingles is cooked.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#210 » by D Rog » Sun Aug 1, 2021 9:14 pm

I would try to keep Bogie and move Clarkson with Ingles for Tobias. See if Hughes can fill some of Clarkson's minutes. Personally I think Clarkson is a bit of a ball hog and gets out of control some times. I realize the contracts don't work but you are pretty close. I'm not sure if you can use a traded player exception as part of that deal.

One other (more wild thought) Conley and Ingles for Tobias Harris & have 76ers use their MLE in a sign and trade deal that sends a serviceable PG to the Jazz - I haven't looked at who that could be but it would be a step backward in the guard area but you are adding length and athleticism and getting rid of a couple older players.
D Rog
Junior

Post#211 » by D Rog » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:10 pm

One of my favorite days of the year - Free Agency & Trades galore
I kind of like the thought of Evan Fournier to the Jazz. Knicks are interested but is he interested? Maybe he wants to play with his buddy Rudy (at a decent price).

Also, Why did Cleveland pick up Rubio? They have 3 point guards now (Sexton, Garland and Rubio)

76ers want outside shooting and a real point guard. They have been reportedly shopping Tobias Harris & Ben Simmons

Crazy Idea:

UTAH - Sends (Ingles or Clarkson) and completes S&T with Conley at about $25M = $38M total going out the door (to Philly)
I am not a Conley fan because his age does not fit with Mitchell and Gobert. Once you throw in his health issues I am pretty
much out on resigning Conley. When he is healthy, he is a great fit for the Jazz but is his health & durability really going to
get better as he ages?

Cavs - Sign Evan Fournier in a S&T to the Jazz for about $18M - $20M plus send Sexton or Garland = about $26M going out the door.
If the Jazz can get Larry Nance as well this is close enough to the amount Jazz are sending out the door.

76ers - Send Tobias or Simmons to Cavs

Utah Gets younger, eliminates the Conley injury issue and extends their window at a title. Utah also adds 2 solid forwards for 1 forward (Fournier can play 2 or 3) (Nance can play 3 or 4). Sexton or Garland are both solid point guards and may just be a future asset as the jazz would hold bird rights. They would take some of the burden off Mitchell playing so much PG. I know Butler is supposed to play that role but he hasn't played 1 minute in the NBA. Yes I would probably prefer Lonzo over Sexton or Garland just because of his size but don't know if that can be done. (If you only send Ingles to Philly Maybe the Jazz can forward Clarkson and Sexton to New Orleans in S&T for Lonzo.

Cavs get a star and length and maybe a sweetener or two if necessary.

76ers get outside shooting and an all-star PG they need.

Maybe the 76ers or Cavs need a sweetener or maybe they both need a sweetener. A younger jazz player to sweeten the deal or the Jazz use their MLE $ (Jazz sign players that have agreed to terms with Philly or Cleveland using the Jazz MLE). I don't know if this can be done per the CBA. This would help Philly out as I believe they only have an MLE. Jazz could resign Niang and include him as part of the deal if that is a sweetener for anybody.

I am just spit balling. I am sure this is too sweet for the Jazz but...

Jazz line up

PG = Sexton or Garland / Mitchell / Butler
SG = Mitchell / Fournier / Clarkson (if not included for Lonzo) / Oni / Hughes
SF = Fournier / Oneal / Nance / Brantley
PF = Bogdanovic / Nance / Oneal
C = Rudy / Dok + a Min $ Vet
tugs
RealGM

Post#212 » by tugs » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:15 pm

Man, a shoot first, shoot second PG with Mitchell? That's trouble
D Rog
Junior

Post#213 » by D Rog » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:19 pm

tugs wrote:Man, a shoot first, shoot second PG with Mitchell? That's trouble

I hear you but Conley can't be "a shoot first, shoot second PG with Mitchell" because he is in street clothes on the bench. I don't believe Conley's durability is going to improve. Garland or Sexton may be more willing passers when surrounded by decent veterans and have consistency from their coaching staff. Sexton has gone through 3 head coaches in 3 years. Garland 2 head coaches in 2 years. Look at that roster Cleveland had and tell me who you would pass the ball to? Nance and Jarrett Allen is about it.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#214 » by sip » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:48 pm

You can't sign another player from a different team and do a sign and trade.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#215 » by stitches » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:43 pm

Is there any way to do a double SnT Conley for Lonzo? I think I like Lonzo better long-term for us than signing Conley for 3 years.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#216 » by sip » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:49 pm

stitches wrote:Is there any way to do a double SnT Conley for Lonzo? I think I like Lonzo better long-term for us than signing Conley for 3 years.
I would much rather have Lonzo than Conley. You can do a double sign and trade but obviously with Conley being unrestricted he would have to want to go to the Pelicans. Or we find a 3rd team that Conley would want to go to that can send something to the Pelicans.

stitches
RealGM

Post#217 » by stitches » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:00 pm

sip wrote:
stitches wrote:Is there any way to do a double SnT Conley for Lonzo? I think I like Lonzo better long-term for us than signing Conley for 3 years.
I would much rather have Lonzo than Conley. You can do a double sign and trade but obviously with Conley being unrestricted he would have to want to go to the Pelicans. Or we find a 3rd team that Conley would want to go to that can send something to the Pelicans.

I just read a report from Tony Jones that the Jazz are expected to finalize a 3-year-deal for Conley when the market officially opens. This looks like a done deal. So ignore my post above I guess...

https://theathletic.com/2746076/2021/08/02/jazz-free-agency-primer-retaining-mike-conley-finding-frontcourt-depth-developing-younger-players-and-more/

Some key points:
-Conley to Jazz on 3 year deal is expected to be finalized today
-Niang is likely gone
-Jazz have interest in Rudy Gay and Otto Porter but both are leaning toward going to the big market teams - Lakers and Nets respectively.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#218 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:45 pm

Clarkson and Bogie works for Tobias. If the Jazz were looking to get some picks back they might be able to get Philly to attach a draft pick to Tobias.

I haven’t watched Philly enough to know if Tobias is still a player we should go after, but his rebounding could be huge if he was also playing some 4/5 with another semi big guy and the Jazz ran a five out offense in non Rudy time.

Donovan, Royce, Ingles, MLE (porter/batum), and Tobias. Probably a bad defense, but it would probably generate an incredible offense. If no one is in the paint and Donovan is running a second unit he would be virtually unstoppable. And if the other team sags off Tobias he is pretty good from 3. The Jazz need the option to run a five out IMO.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#219 » by zero24gravity » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:08 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-warriors-eric-paschall-potential-jazz-trade-target

Paschall anyone? Not a bad idea, especially if he can get back to his rookie year trajectory. (Not that he was bad last year) Doesn't hurt (and may be a reason why they are looking at him) that he's close with Donovan. He's a 4, but really too small to play any 5, even though the Warriors tried. Ok from deep (33%), but needs to improve.

Nothing in the article about what the Jazz would be trading, but since Paschall's contract hit is so small, I imagine it's primarily draft pick(s).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pascher01.html
D Rog
Junior

Post#220 » by D Rog » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:11 am

zero24gravity wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-warriors-eric-paschall-potential-jazz-trade-target

Paschall anyone? Not a bad idea, especially if he can get back to his rookie year trajectory. (Not that he was bad last year) Doesn't hurt (and may be a reason why they are looking at him) that he's close with Donovan. He's a 4, but really too small to play any 5, even though the Warriors tried. Ok from deep (33%), but needs to improve.

Nothing in the article about what the Jazz would be trading, but since Paschall's contract hit is so small, I imagine it's primarily draft pick(s).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pascher01.html

This is mostly about keeping DM happy more than anything.

Return to Utah Jazz