[Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

MTJazzv3
Starter
Posts: 2,484
And1: 1,061
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
 

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#21 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:22 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Whiteside might be interested in salvaging his career and as far as I'm concerned he is a massive defensive and offensive upgrade over Favors who frankly really never got it going on last year. If Whiteside does play to his potential and Udoka shows anything this summer I could see Udo being shipped with either Bogey or Ingles for a a rotation wing. Who that wing would be I have no idea but Zanick isn't done yet.


I haven't seen the length of Whiteside's contract. If it's one year, I can't imagine the Jazz are actively trying to throw Dok in a trade offer, since Hassan might be a one and done, especially if he shows he can be more than a 15mpg backup somewhere else.

Agree that using Bogey for some kind of versatile, long, wing would be ideal. (Someone like OG Anunobym, perhaps?)


OG would be great. As of today, we should have kept Bradley who has turned into a very decent backup big.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
zero24gravity
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,384
And1: 614
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
 

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#22 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:32 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Whiteside might be interested in salvaging his career and as far as I'm concerned he is a massive defensive and offensive upgrade over Favors who frankly really never got it going on last year. If Whiteside does play to his potential and Udoka shows anything this summer I could see Udo being shipped with either Bogey or Ingles for a a rotation wing. Who that wing would be I have no idea but Zanick isn't done yet.


I haven't seen the length of Whiteside's contract. If it's one year, I can't imagine the Jazz are actively trying to throw Dok in a trade offer, since Hassan might be a one and done, especially if he shows he can be more than a 15mpg backup somewhere else.

Agree that using Bogey for some kind of versatile, long, wing would be ideal. (Someone like OG Anunobym, perhaps?)


OG would be great. As of today, we should have kept Bradley who has turned into a very decent backup big.


IMO, Bradley is fine, but he's not a mobile rim protector, who can play Gobert-light, when Rudy is out.
User avatar
tugs
RealGM
Posts: 15,568
And1: 2,562
Joined: Jul 22, 2010

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#23 » by tugs » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:53 pm

No way Toronto is letting go of OG though
zero24gravity
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,384
And1: 614
Joined: Jan 08, 2017
 

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#24 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:27 pm

tugs wrote:No way Toronto is letting go of OG though


Probably not. But I did say "someone like" him. :wink:

He does work straight up for Bogey, salary-wise, and the Raptors could use a scorer. Bogey is probably the better player, technically. But OG's age is a factor, so the Jazz would likely have to sweeten the pot to even get them to listen.
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 15,695
And1: 7,657
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#25 » by Catchall » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:39 pm

Whiteside is a legit deterrent at the rim, something that Favors no longer was towards the end of last year. Now guys are less likely to see a row of green lights at the rim when Rudy is off the floor.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,044
And1: 5,920
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:35 am

Don't have a problem with this signing in terms of the talent level we got for a backup C, Whiteside should be a good backup. But I'm not sure I like it from a roster flexibility standpoint--it feels like the Jazz are doubling down (or is it tripling down now?) on the 'we'll have a Gobert-like player on the floor for 48 minutes' approach. I would like to see some roster moves that allow us to play smaller and defend the perimeter too when teams go at us like the Clippers had.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
tugs
RealGM
Posts: 15,568
And1: 2,562
Joined: Jul 22, 2010

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#27 » by tugs » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:50 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Don't have a problem with this signing in terms of the talent level we got for a backup C, Whiteside should be a good backup. But I'm not sure I like it from a roster flexibility standpoint--it feels like the Jazz are doubling down (or is it tripling down now?) on the 'we'll have a Gobert-like player on the floor for 48 minutes' approach. I would like to see some roster moves that allow us to play smaller and defend the perimeter too when teams go at us like the Clippers had.
This has been pointed out multiple times but I have to say again that it seems they're not planning on messing up the scheme that has been working last season, and just patching up the holes

They added the right players given the financial situation. Talent could've been better but hey, it is what it is if there are constraints
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,044
And1: 5,920
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:57 am

tugs wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Don't have a problem with this signing in terms of the talent level we got for a backup C, Whiteside should be a good backup. But I'm not sure I like it from a roster flexibility standpoint--it feels like the Jazz are doubling down (or is it tripling down now?) on the 'we'll have a Gobert-like player on the floor for 48 minutes' approach. I would like to see some roster moves that allow us to play smaller and defend the perimeter too when teams go at us like the Clippers had.
This has been pointed out multiple times but I have to say again that it seems they're not planning on messing up the scheme that has been working last season, and just patching up the holes

They added the right players given the financial situation. Talent could've been better but hey, it is what it is if there are constraints

I'm not sure I agree. Yes, the players we got are good for the value, but they don't address the main weakness of this team which is perimeter defense. For example, Whiteside isn't going to help us when another team imitates the Clippers and plays 5 out. He brings the same limitations Gobert had. It's not that we signed bad players, it's that we signed players who didn't fill our most glaring needs and weaknesses. This is a question of approach and basketball philosophy in terms of the direction our FO chose to go when looking to tweak this roster. They could have used the same money on different style of players who provide more perimeter defense. Their scheme had been messed up by the Clippers, who really exposed the Jazz, so I hoped to see moves being made to counter what surely other teams will use against us in the playoffs again.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
tugs
RealGM
Posts: 15,568
And1: 2,562
Joined: Jul 22, 2010

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#29 » by tugs » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:09 am

Yeah I agree. I believe Gay is expected to solve the small ball C issues and as for the perimeter defense, it'll be resolved internally, hoping Oni and the other wings can step it up defensively
vtime
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 164
Joined: May 29, 2006
Location: SAINT LOUIS, MO

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#30 » by vtime » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:25 am

Whiteside put up All Star numbers in 2019-2020. He was just in a bad situation this past season.
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,250
And1: 2,709
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: [Woj] Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside 

Post#31 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 12:47 pm

vtime wrote:Whiteside put up All Star numbers in 2019-2020. He was just in a bad situation this past season.


Yes I posted his excellent numbers as a starter for Portland in another thread, 16.3 ppg on 11.1 fga with 14.2 rebs/game and 3.1 blocks per game in 31.3 mpg of action, but Sip noted that he has a bit of reputation as an empty stats guy who doesn't produce wins. The Blazers only went 29-32 in his 61 starts.

The Blazers entire front line was shook up that season though, with old man Carmelo Anthony starting 58 games as well. FWIW, ESPN RPM has Whiteside producing a respectable 5 wins and Carmelo only 0.47 wins. Basketball Reference gave Whiteside a plus 3.2 BPM and Carmelo a minus 3.6 BPM. Basketball Reference also gave Whiteside a 125/107 ORtg/DRtg and Carmelo a 104/115 ORtg/DRtg, so it seems likely that Carmelo was the biggest loser for the Blazers' starting front line.

I hope Whiteside takes some inspiration from Rudy and comes off the bench with the goal of trying to keep up Rudy's protection of the rim and paint.

Return to Utah Jazz