Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 14,097
And1: 6,496
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#21 » by stitches » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 pm

red4hf wrote:It's crazy that he's not allowed to play...... Somehow last year the NBA was able to have a season even though no one was vaccinated...... So, how is him not being vaccinated now is such a problem?

Last year there wasn't a widely available vaccine. This year there is. So municipalities and local governing bodies have implemented laws/ordinances to keep public spaces with higher risk of spreading infections safe(or at least as safe as possible). Kyrie's predicament is NOT due to the NBA rulings, it's because of NYC laws.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
Posts: 9,509
And1: 633
Joined: Jul 04, 2002

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#22 » by red4hf » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:54 pm

stitches wrote:
red4hf wrote:It's crazy that he's not allowed to play...... Somehow last year the NBA was able to have a season even though no one was vaccinated...... So, how is him not being vaccinated now is such a problem?

Last year there wasn't a widely available vaccine. This year there is. So manucipalities and local governing bodies have implemented laws/ordinances to keep public spaces with higher risk of spreading infections safe(or at least as safe possible). Kyrie's predicament is NOT due to the NBA rulings, it's because of NYC laws.


I get that sure, but the Nets' decision not to let him play at all, makes no sense...... The whole mandatory vaccination or you lose your job makes no sense......
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,677
And1: 759
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#23 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:38 pm

Catchall wrote:Lakers were one of the worst offensive teams in the league last year. They struggled to score in the half court. Their game is to dominate the paint defensively and get out in transition, where they are very hard to stop. Bringing in Westbrook and Dwight doubles down on this general strategy, but their spacing on offense will be bad again, and their defense may actually take a step back overall.

Relying on Ellington, Monk and Carmelo to make big shots probably isn't sustainable, and the three of them are average or below average defensively. Guys like Carmelo, Ariza and Gasol aren't going to play major minutes at their age.

I think Denver or Utah comes out of the West this year. Brooklyn or Milwaukee should come out of the East.

I live in SoCal, and saw an article today, after one game, which set out potential trades the Lakers could make for Russ. The Lakers fans are known to be crazy, though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this season.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
Posts: 9,509
And1: 633
Joined: Jul 04, 2002

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#24 » by red4hf » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:49 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:Lakers were one of the worst offensive teams in the league last year. They struggled to score in the half court. Their game is to dominate the paint defensively and get out in transition, where they are very hard to stop. Bringing in Westbrook and Dwight doubles down on this general strategy, but their spacing on offense will be bad again, and their defense may actually take a step back overall.

Relying on Ellington, Monk and Carmelo to make big shots probably isn't sustainable, and the three of them are average or below average defensively. Guys like Carmelo, Ariza and Gasol aren't going to play major minutes at their age.

I think Denver or Utah comes out of the West this year. Brooklyn or Milwaukee should come out of the East.

I live in SoCal, and saw an article today, after one game, which set out potential trades the Lakers could make for Russ. The Lakers fans are known to be crazy, though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this season.


This Laker team with Russ, Rondo and Melo reminds of the team when Malone and Payton signed on to get a ring.......
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 16,081
And1: 8,010
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#25 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 pm

red4hf wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:Lakers were one of the worst offensive teams in the league last year. They struggled to score in the half court. Their game is to dominate the paint defensively and get out in transition, where they are very hard to stop. Bringing in Westbrook and Dwight doubles down on this general strategy, but their spacing on offense will be bad again, and their defense may actually take a step back overall.

Relying on Ellington, Monk and Carmelo to make big shots probably isn't sustainable, and the three of them are average or below average defensively. Guys like Carmelo, Ariza and Gasol aren't going to play major minutes at their age.

I think Denver or Utah comes out of the West this year. Brooklyn or Milwaukee should come out of the East.

I live in SoCal, and saw an article today, after one game, which set out potential trades the Lakers could make for Russ. The Lakers fans are known to be crazy, though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this season.


This Laker team with Russ, Rondo and Melo reminds of the team when Malone and Payton signed on to get a ring.......


It reminds me more of the team with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in 2013.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Charlie_S
Rookie
Posts: 1,064
And1: 84
Joined: Jan 20, 2006
Location: Italy

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#26 » by Charlie_S » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Catchall wrote:
red4hf wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I live in SoCal, and saw an article today, after one game, which set out potential trades the Lakers could make for Russ. The Lakers fans are known to be crazy, though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this season.


This Laker team with Russ, Rondo and Melo reminds of the team when Malone and Payton signed on to get a ring.......


It reminds me more of the team with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in 2013.


Agreed. Payton and Malone were actually still good.
vryadli
Pro Prospect
Posts: 969
And1: 270
Joined: Jul 24, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#27 » by vryadli » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 am

I'm glad to see that both LA teams are up to amazing start of the season. And so far Nets are impressive too. Of course it is impossible for the them to sustain that level. But given my extreme passion for star-grabbing team building I'm going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.
vryadli
Pro Prospect
Posts: 969
And1: 270
Joined: Jul 24, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#28 » by vryadli » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:13 am

What a fantastic night from superstars! Fairy tale continue!

Given the start of teams with great daring star-collecting managers, I think it is time for really daring trades!

Something like LeBron for Durant! Or one can include Kahwi and make three-team trade.. which direction though... Oh, wait! If we include PG, Davis and Harden, then some group can go clockwise and other counter! And fantastic thing about that - each team in a circle of three will get two! super-puper stars! Jus think about that super ! stars! and not one but 2!!! According some logics, it will make each team not just a contender - a heavy favorite to win it all!

I just can't wait for that to happen!!! So exciting!!!
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 12,657
And1: 3,249
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#29 » by GobertReport » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:53 am

Right now that CP3 contract is aging like milk.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,364
And1: 2,747
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#30 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:46 pm

GobertReport wrote:Right now that CP3 contract is aging like milk.


Yes, but I don't think he is going to be as bad as his current stats on the small four game sample. So far Paul is a minus 14pts/game player with a 43.4% efg% and 124 DEFRTG. I am surprised by the Suns' slow start. They have the same players that just contended for the championship. I would have expected their players to show up raring to go to try to take the next step.

↑↑ Makes me appreciate the fact that Gobert, Conley, Ingles and Clarkson are already in good competitive form. I think Mitchell worked very hard this offseason to be ready too. He just needs to find his better shooting rhythm. Go Jazz!
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 12,657
And1: 3,249
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#31 » by GobertReport » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Right now that CP3 contract is aging like milk.


Yes, but I don't think he is going to be as bad as his current stats on the small four game sample. So far Paul is a minus 14pts/game player with a 43.4% efg% and 124 DEFRTG. I am surprised by the Suns' slow start. They have the same players that just contended for the championship. I would have expected their players to show up raring to go to try to take the next step.

↑↑ Makes me appreciate the fact that Gobert, Conley, Ingles and Clarkson are already in good competitive form. I think Mitchell worked very hard this offseason to be ready too. He just needs to find his better shooting rhythm. Go Jazz!


100%
Ingles is cooked.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,109
And1: 5,952
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#32 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:34 pm

They are about to return to mediocrity, I think. They paid huge amounts of money to everyone but Ayton.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,677
And1: 759
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#33 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:11 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Right now that CP3 contract is aging like milk.


Yes, but I don't think he is going to be as bad as his current stats on the small four game sample. So far Paul is a minus 14pts/game player with a 43.4% efg% and 124 DEFRTG. I am surprised by the Suns' slow start. They have the same players that just contended for the championship. I would have expected their players to show up raring to go to try to take the next step.

↑↑ Makes me appreciate the fact that Gobert, Conley, Ingles and Clarkson are already in good competitive form. I think Mitchell worked very hard this offseason to be ready too. He just needs to find his better shooting rhythm. Go Jazz!

Maybe Mitchell needs to wear contacts?
TNJazz
Senior
Posts: 649
And1: 230
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
     

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#34 » by TNJazz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 pm

[/quote]Maybe Mitchell needs to wear contacts?[/quote]
:lol: :-o
jazzed77
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,462
And1: 103
Joined: Mar 02, 2006

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#35 » by jazzed77 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:34 am

TNJazz wrote:
Maybe Mitchell needs to wear contacts?[/quote]
:lol: :-o[/quote]

I think part of his problem is that he just started figuring out how to play the foul baiting style that was so prevalent among high scoring guards and now that style is no longer being rewarded.
SoCalJazzFan
Analyst
Posts: 3,677
And1: 759
Joined: Jul 29, 2009

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#36 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Nov 1, 2021 6:42 pm

In an odd move, the Suns have declined to excercise the 3rd yr option on Jalen Smith, the #10 selection of the 2020 NBA draft that occurred roughly a year ago! He'll be a free agent next summer.

If you don't recall, he is a skinny 6'10" long player who is in the mold of Christian Wood and Jerami Grant, in that he can both shoot from distance and protect the paint (or at least he did in college). I like his potential. I wonder what the cost would be.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,109
And1: 5,952
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#37 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 2, 2021 9:49 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:In an odd move, the Suns have declined to excercise the 3rd yr option on Jalen Smith, the #10 selection of the 2020 NBA draft that occurred roughly a year ago! He'll be a free agent next summer.

If you don't recall, he is a skinny 6'10" long player who is in the mold of Christian Wood and Jerami Grant, in that he can both shoot from distance and protect the paint (or at least he did in college). I like his potential. I wonder what the cost would be.

I wonder if this is a cost-saving move due to all the contracts the Suns had to dole out recently, not even including Ayton.

Smith looks interesting. I'd love it if the Jazz started to take flyers on high lottery picks that other teams move from. Sure, there is usually a reason for that, but the physical tools, talent and size are usually there, and if the Jazz believe in their ability to develop players then they shouldn't ignore such players. Sometimes their lack of success is situational. It's time the Jazz took advantage of and capitalized on other teams' efforts to develop prospects for several seasons instead of just being a farm team.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,109
And1: 5,952
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 2, 2021 4:29 pm

I feel bad for Lillard. He's stuck in a team that goes no where. And after this offseason when it was clear he was unhappy with how things are going, the team just ran it back again and did nothing of substance to upgrade itself. And now he goes to Philly, and loses to a Sixers team without Embiid, Simmons and Harris. It has to make him wonder about how far the Blazers can really go.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 12,657
And1: 3,249
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#39 » by GobertReport » Tue Nov 2, 2021 4:36 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I feel bad for Lillard. He's stuck in a team that goes no where. And after this offseason when it was clear he was unhappy with how things are going, the team just ran it back again and did nothing of substance to upgrade itself. And now he goes to Philly, and loses to a Sixers team without Embiid, Simmons and Harris. It has to make him wonder about how far the Blazers can really go.


It makes him want to go to Utah :lol:
Ingles is cooked.
sip
Pro Prospect
Posts: 823
And1: 891
Joined: Apr 14, 2009

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#40 » by sip » Wed Nov 3, 2021 9:44 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I feel bad for Lillard. He's stuck in a team that goes no where. And after this offseason when it was clear he was unhappy with how things are going, the team just ran it back again and did nothing of substance to upgrade itself. And now he goes to Philly, and loses to a Sixers team without Embiid, Simmons and Harris. It has to make him wonder about how far the Blazers can really go.


I don't feel bad for Lillard at all. The blazers have constantly tried to improve that team around him but unfortunately injuries have been a big issue. This year though Lillard has just been trash and his contract is a team killer. I love how these guys say that all that they want to do is win but then demand a contract that makes it almost impossible for a team to build around them.

Return to Utah Jazz