Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2021-2022 

Post#41 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:23 pm

sip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I feel bad for Lillard. He's stuck in a team that goes no where. And after this offseason when it was clear he was unhappy with how things are going, the team just ran it back again and did nothing of substance to upgrade itself. And now he goes to Philly, and loses to a Sixers team without Embiid, Simmons and Harris. It has to make him wonder about how far the Blazers can really go.

I don't feel bad for Lillard at all. The blazers have constantly tried to improve that team around him but unfortunately injuries have been a big issue. This year though Lillard has just been trash and his contract is a team killer. I love how these guys say that all that they want to do is win but then demand a contract that makes it almost impossible for a team to build around them.

Yes, they had injuries but they also benefited from other teams' injuries in the past in the playoffs. Regardless of injuries though, I don't think they ever had a contender on their hands. The roster they put together was good enough to be playoff competitive but not a real threat to win a championship.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#42 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 4, 2021 7:11 pm

The thing about Sarver is freaking bananas. Wonder who will buy the team?
Ingles is cooked.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#43 » by vryadli » Thu Nov 4, 2021 7:25 pm

The power rankings a really bizarre now. F.e ESPN put 3-4 Bucks on 5-th place ahead of quite a number of teams with 5-1, 4-2 records. And that rankings is supposed to picture last week power output... that's almost like flat Earth in bizzarity This millennia is so-o irrational, I don't know how well humanity will be able to navigate in real Universe with that level of self-indulgence in approach to facts and definitions.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#44 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:47 pm

vryadli wrote:The power rankings a really bizarre now. F.e ESPN put 3-4 Bucks on 5-th place ahead of quite a number of teams with 5-1, 4-2 records. And that rankings is supposed to picture last week power output... that's almost like flat Earth in bizzarity This millennia is so-o irrational, I don't know how well humanity will be able to navigate in real Universe with that level of self-indulgence in approach to facts and definitions.

Here is another seemingly weird result below, and this one is from 538 Nate Silver's computer program which takes the emotion out of predictions. 538 currently has the Warriors only going 41-41. Their win prediction for GS has barely budged in response to the GS hot start. Meanwhile, their season win prediction for the Jazz keeps climbing along with the Jazz hot start. If I recall correctly, 538 started out the season at 53 wins for Jazz. Now their computer program has the Jazz winning 59 games.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-predictions/
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#45 » by Catchall » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:50 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
vryadli wrote:The power rankings a really bizarre now. F.e ESPN put 3-4 Bucks on 5-th place ahead of quite a number of teams with 5-1, 4-2 records. And that rankings is supposed to picture last week power output... that's almost like flat Earth in bizzarity This millennia is so-o irrational, I don't know how well humanity will be able to navigate in real Universe with that level of self-indulgence in approach to facts and definitions.

Here is another seemingly weird result below, and this one is from 538 Nate Silver's computer program which takes the emotion out of predictions. 538 currently has the Warriors only going 41-41. Their win prediction for GS has barely budged in response to the GS hot start. Meanwhile, their season win prediction for the Jazz keeps climbing along with the Jazz hot start. If I recall correctly, 538 started out the season at 53 wins for Jazz. Now their computer program has the Jazz winning 59 games.

Warriors were the 8th seed last year before losing in the play-in games. They really haven't changed much this year. I think they should be a lower playoff seed again.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#46 » by sip » Fri Nov 5, 2021 8:47 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
sip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I feel bad for Lillard. He's stuck in a team that goes no where. And after this offseason when it was clear he was unhappy with how things are going, the team just ran it back again and did nothing of substance to upgrade itself. And now he goes to Philly, and loses to a Sixers team without Embiid, Simmons and Harris. It has to make him wonder about how far the Blazers can really go.

I don't feel bad for Lillard at all. The blazers have constantly tried to improve that team around him but unfortunately injuries have been a big issue. This year though Lillard has just been trash and his contract is a team killer. I love how these guys say that all that they want to do is win but then demand a contract that makes it almost impossible for a team to build around them.

Yes, they had injuries but they also benefited from other teams' injuries in the past in the playoffs. Regardless of injuries though, I don't think they ever had a contender on their hands. The roster they put together was good enough to be playoff competitive but not a real threat to win a championship.
That is true but they at least have tried. This entitlement from players that if they aren't on a legit title contender they should be able to leave is a joke. It is extremely difficult to build a title contender and most of the time you have to have a little luck. Just because you aren't on a title team it shouldn't mean you complain and try to bail on the fan base. Especially with the insane amount of money these guys are now making.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#47 » by vryadli » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:05 am

Crunch 99 wrote:

That is somewhat strange too - the team which currently has top defense and Curry on his normal crazy level - 50%?! But it is a prediction for a lot of future games. You can - and even need - to factor in a lot of things, including superstars presence and probability of injuries. Curry-less GS can, at least potentially, drop down there fast enough.

The Power Ranking is quite opposite - it deal with just one week which already happened.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#48 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 6, 2021 12:04 pm

sip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
sip wrote:

That is true but they at least have tried. This entitlement from players that if they aren't on a legit title contender they should be able to leave is a joke. It is extremely difficult to build a title contender and most of the time you have to have a little luck. Just because you aren't on a title team it shouldn't mean you complain and try to bail on the fan base. Especially with the insane amount of money these guys are now making.

Sure, but Lillard has been there for a long time now and has yet to have a roster that can seriously compete for a championship. That's the only thing he doesn't have, and he's not like many other stars who chose to leave their team after their first max contract. The thing that would make me frustrated if I were Lillard is that it was made clear he wants to compete for a ring and thinking about leaving, and somehow the franchise placated him and made him stay, yet they brought back essentially the same roster that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs last season, so at least for the time being, unless they manage to swing a big trade that changes things, he's stuck in the same position he's been in this far.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#49 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 12:44 pm

Catchall wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

Warriors were the 8th seed last year before losing in the play-in games. They really haven't changed much this year. I think they should be a lower playoff seed again.

Last season they were experimenting with a lot of players. Jordan Poole, for example, only averaged 11 mpg pre All Star game. Fast forward to this season and this third year player is a decent starter, averaging 17.6 ppg on 15.3 fga. Rookie James Wiseman started about half of the games before All Star break, but he wasn't ready for it. Green and Curry both missed nine games a piece. Looney missed 11 games.

I would take the over on Warriors at 41 wins all day long if we could still bet after the season already started. Of course injuries could throw a wrench in their performance as with any team, but it looks to me like they are credibly rebirthing a version of the pre-Durant Warriors team, which was a very good team. Curry and Green still got it, and even old man Iguodala is finding ways to contribute. He isn't shooting well, but last night he had an incredible 10 assists, 2 steals with zero tovs in 17 mins of action. Andrew Wiggins, whose defense was lacking at Minnesota, has become a good defensive player. The Klay Thompson rehab is reportedly progressing very well and people think he will be back by the end of December. The Warriors are back to being a good team on both ends of the court, ranking number one for defense and number nine for offense in the early going at NBA.com.

Note: It is still very early season and I reserve the right to be totally wrong. Lol.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#50 » by Catchall » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:16 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

Last season they were experimenting with a lot of players. Jordan Poole, for example, only averaged 11 mpg pre All Star game. Fast forward to this season and this third year player is a decent starter, averaging 17.6 ppg on 15.3 fga. Rookie James Wiseman started about half of the pre All Star games, but he wasn't ready for it. Green and Curry both missed nine games a piece. Looney missed 11 games.

I would take the over on Warriors at 41 wins all day long if we could still bet after the season already started. Of course injuries could throw a wrench in their performance as with any team, but it looks to me like they are credibly rebirthing a version of the pre-Durant Warriors team, which was a very good team. Curry and Green still got it, and even old man Iguodala is finding ways to contribute. He isn't shooting well, but last night he had an incredible 10 assists, 2 steals with zero tovs in 17 mins of action. Andrew Wiggins, whose defense was lacking at Minnesota, has become a good defensive player. The Klay Thompson rehab is reportedly progressing very well and people think he will be back by the end of December. The Warriors are back to being a good team on both ends of the court, ranking number one for defense and number nine for offense in the early going at NBA.com.

Note: It is still very early season and I reserve the right to be totally wrong. Lol.

I could see the Warriors get to 46 or 47 wins and end up in the 6th seed. Their schedule has been really soft so far -- Rockets, Thunder (twice), Kings, Pels, Lakers. Their win over the Clippers was impressive, but Curry had to go for 40pts in order for them to win by 2pts.

I think they'll finish behind the Jazz, Suns, Nuggets and Clippers, maybe Dallas or Portland as well.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#51 » by D Rog » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:38 pm

This may not be a popular statement for the Dame Lillard fan base but maybe he needs to look in the mirror a little as well. The team is not doing well this year. He is shooting 21% from 3 for their first 9 games with a 33% fg%. He is the PG that is supposed to be running the team and creating for other players. In the past couple years the team has brought in several different players but the results have not changed. Now they bring in a new coach and I doubt that makes much of a difference. Be prepared SLC... I can see DM asking for a trade in a year or two or after signing his 2nd big contract and then demanding a trade after a year or two. That is the way of the NBA star.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#52 » by sip » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:26 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
sip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Yes, they had injuries but they also benefited from other teams' injuries in the past in the playoffs. Regardless of injuries though, I don't think they ever had a contender on their hands. The roster they put together was good enough to be playoff competitive but not a real threat to win a championship.

Sure, but Lillard has been there for a long time now and has yet to have a roster that can seriously compete for a championship. That's the only thing he doesn't have, and he's not like many other stars who chose to leave their team after their first max contract. The thing that would make me frustrated if I were Lillard is that it was made clear he wants to compete for a ring and thinking about leaving, and somehow the franchise placated him and made him stay, yet they brought back essentially the same roster that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs last season, so at least for the time being, unless they manage to swing a big trade that changes things, he's stuck in the same position he's been in this far.
You make it seem like there were trades to be made. What is a trade that they could have made?

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#53 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 7, 2021 1:37 pm

sip wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
sip wrote:That is true but they at least have tried. This entitlement from players that if they aren't on a legit title contender they should be able to leave is a joke. It is extremely difficult to build a title contender and most of the time you have to have a little luck. Just because you aren't on a title team it shouldn't mean you complain and try to bail on the fan base. Especially with the insane amount of money these guys are now making.

You make it seem like there were trades to be made. What is a trade that they could have made?

I don't know, I don't really follow them this closely. But the bottom line is that the guy really wants to compete for a ring and clearly unhappy with where the team is at, they convince him to stay, yet keep the roster the same. It's just a recipe for discontent. They may have bought themselves some time but if they keep the team at its current level it will eventually blow up in their face.

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#54 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:18 am

Rubio hit 8 threes, and scored 37 against the Knicks....... Wow......
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#55 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 2:36 am

red4hf wrote:Rubio hit 8 threes, and scored 37 against the Knicks....... Wow......

Holy crap! Is he still shooting the same old style? After that performance, his season three point shot percentage is up to 43%! If he he has a regression to career average it could be like the Clarkson slump. I like Cleveland's young team with Ricky's veteran help. Maybe veteran Love can come back from covid and be a positive part of their team too.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#56 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 2:52 am

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#57 » by red4hf » Mon Nov 8, 2021 3:08 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
red4hf wrote:Rubio hit 8 threes, and scored 37 against the Knicks....... Wow......

Holy crap! Is he still shooting the same old style? After that performance, his season three point shot percentage is up to 43%! If he he has a regression to career average it could be like the Clarkson slump. I like Cleveland's young team with Ricky's veteran help. Maybe veteran Love can come back from covid and be a positive part of their team too.

He has been absolutely great for the Cavs..... It's really impossible to overstate what his leadership has meant to that team, in less than 10 games.....
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#58 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 8, 2021 8:25 am

I think we'd be a better team with Rubio than with Conley. And less cash-strapped.

Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#59 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:31 pm

red4hf wrote:
He (Rubio) has been absolutely great for the Cavs..... It's really impossible to overstate what his leadership has meant to that team, in less than 10 games.....

Too bad they just lost Sexton to a torn meniscus. Their three man guard rotation of Rubio, Garland and Sexton was working well. Cleveland had six players, including Sexton, Rubio and Garland, who were averaging double digit scoring ranging from 13 to 16 ppg.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,814

Post#60 » by Stanford » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:58 pm

We love Georges Niang

Return to Utah Jazz