Official 2021-2022 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Re: Official 2021-2022 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#201 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Dec 4, 2021 9:11 pm

D Rog wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Sixers fan in peace here. Thoughts on a Tobias for Bogs/Ingles swap? I've seen it discussed before, but am curious what your fanbase thinks about it now.

Obviously I can't speak for all but I would probably be opposed. I like the idea of getting younger but Ingles plays kind of a back up PG for the Jazz and initiates the offense really well. Harris is also shooting 29% from 3 this year? That may improve if he plays with the Jazz but Ingles is shooting 42% from 3 and Bojan is shooting 41%. I like the idea of getting younger but I am not sure I mess with the chemistry of a team that is currently 3rd in the West.

Totally fair. I think Tobias's shooting this year is an outlier given he's missed several games due to COVID and was/is recovering since he returned. I figured it would be a nice consolidation for you guys to get the best player and get younger.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#202 » by AingesBurner » Sun Dec 5, 2021 1:01 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:
D Rog wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Sixers fan in peace here. Thoughts on a Tobias for Bogs/Ingles swap? I've seen it discussed before, but am curious what your fanbase thinks about it now.

Obviously I can't speak for all but I would probably be opposed. I like the idea of getting younger but Ingles plays kind of a back up PG for the Jazz and initiates the offense really well. Harris is also shooting 29% from 3 this year? That may improve if he plays with the Jazz but Ingles is shooting 42% from 3 and Bojan is shooting 41%. I like the idea of getting younger but I am not sure I mess with the chemistry of a team that is currently 3rd in the West.

Totally fair. I think Tobias's shooting this year is an outlier given he's missed several games due to COVID and was/is recovering since he returned. I figured it would be a nice consolidation for you guys to get the best player and get younger.

I’m all in for Tobias, Utah needs to consolidate talent.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#203 » by Catchall » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:32 am

GobertReport wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
D Rog wrote:

I’m all in for Tobias, Utah needs to consolidate talent.

The idea of consolidating talent makes sense. Replacing Bogdanovic with someone who is more of a 2-way wing when we have so much shooting elsewhere on the roster would also make some sense. I'm not sure Tobias is quite the guy we need, and someone with that level of salary should really be an All Star-level player, imo.

Agree that the Jazz are going to be cautious in making moves. Their offense is performing at a historic level, and they have the #2 net rating in the league despite a pretty lethargic start.

You might talk me into that type of deal for Harrison Barnes or Pascal Siakam, though I imagine the Jazz would be adding a pick to the deal.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#204 » by tugs » Sun Dec 5, 2021 8:05 am

Tobias is a perfect 3/4 and would definitely solidify that spot with Royce, Gay, and Paschall. Bogey is a bucket but for sure his offense can be replaced with Tobias'.

The real risk factor here is losing the team's chemistry. Jazz may have to deal with another Jordan Clarkson adjustment, which isn't really a bad thing, but the timing of this adjustment phase is critical. Add to the fact that even if Joe isn't playing heavy minutes, the minimal minutes he's playing are all of quality. Making shots, creating opportunities for others, stepping up if a starter is resting or injured, those intangibles can't be replaced. Someone from Clarkson, Butler, or Gay has to take on that role if they decide to move on from Ingles.

If they're planning on making some moves, it has to be sooner than later.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#205 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 6, 2021 4:54 am

I think the Jazz do need to replace one of their 'shooters' with a 'scorer' in the closing lineup. It's pretty clear that Donovan is going to have the ball in his hands in 4th quarters, and when he's going nuclear he's great. However, it would be great to have a wing with some size whom you know can play on the ball, take a few dribbles and get his own bucket.

I still see Bogey as a stretch-4 type who spaces the floor, can attack close-outs and can attack mismatches, but he's not going to score much off the dribble in a one-on-one situation when the game tightens up late. Maybe the solution is as simple as taking either Royce or Bogey off the floor and closing with Rudy Gay instead. Gay has a history of creating shots for himself from mid-range. I know he's older now, but he's big enough to create a look for himself and could be what the Jazz need to raise their ceiling as a team.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#206 » by D Rog » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:02 pm

Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz do need to replace one of their 'shooters' with a 'scorer' in the closing lineup. It's pretty clear that Donovan is going to have the ball in his hands in 4th quarters, and when he's going nuclear he's great. However, it would be great to have a wing with some size whom you know can play on the ball, take a few dribbles and get his own bucket.

I still see Bogey as a stretch-4 type who spaces the floor, can attack close-outs and can attack mismatches, but he's not going to score much off the dribble in a one-on-one situation when the game tightens up late. Maybe the solution is as simple as taking either Royce or Bogey off the floor and closing with Rudy Gay instead. Gay has a history of creating shots for himself from mid-range. I know he's older now, but he's big enough to create a look for himself and could be what the Jazz need to raise their ceiling as a team.

Ok next subject... Kinda - You talk about replacing one of the Jazz "shooters"? JC is still struggling 32% from 3 for the month of November and 29% for the year. I know the Jazz didn't have any punch from their bench before JC arrived but sometimes it is hard to watch him. When he is on - GREAT - but when he is off, he presses and plays like a ball hog (IMO).
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#207 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:55 pm

D Rog wrote:Ok next subject... Kinda - You talk about replacing one of the Jazz "shooters"? JC is still struggling 32% from 3 for the month of November and 29% for the year. I know the Jazz didn't have any punch from their bench before JC arrived but sometimes it is hard to watch him. When he is on - GREAT - but when he is off, he presses and plays like a ball hog (IMO).

Clarkson might have the longest leash in the NBA to just keep playing one on one basketball and shooting no matter how bad his shooting percentages are. I wish hunting for some assists could be incorporated in to his game. He's not a bad passer. Clarkson had a couple of seasons with the Lakers where he averaged 5 ast/36 mins with 2.5 tovs/36 mins. That was a good start for a young player on making assists, but here with the Jazz he is only averaging 3 ast/36 mins. DM shoots a lot too, but he is also averaging a career high in ast/36 mins.

On the plus side, Clarkson is playing better defense this season than last season.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#208 » by TNJazz » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:35 pm

Im hoping Q's next development for JC is exactly what you state Crunch, assist hunting. Imagine how lethal he would be if he were as feared for his ability to get 5-6 assists pregame as well as get his quick hitter points. Agree, his defense has improved and the eye test says his rebounding has as well. His role of instant offense off the bench is super valuable and is what won him the 6th man award last year, but every year, players say they need to improve an aspect of their game. Assists, combined with his ability to microwave shoot, would be a major scouting headache for opposing teams.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#209 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:49 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
D Rog wrote:

I go back and forth. Bogdanovic is the better shooter and a similar caliber of scorer, Harris is a better playmaker and defender and has more on-ball creation. But, I'm not sure we actually need what he offers differently from Bogdanovic. I might be more willing to part with Clarkson for an upgrade elsewhere in the rotation than move Bogey/Ingles.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
tugs
RealGM

Post#210 » by tugs » Tue Dec 7, 2021 3:13 am

Honestly I don't know why Clarkson has been appointed as a gunner who can make plays. Followed his stint with LA and he is a lethal PnR orchestrator. Tarik Black, Ed Davis, and Jordan Hill had fields days with him. Either the bigs score off of rolls or pops, or JC knives his way to the basket for layups or pull up from the midrange. He rarely takes 3s then but can still drop 20+.

Imagine that JC with the Jazz personnel. It's like Ingles' game on 5th gear

On the other hand, I get that the players are respecting Quin's Xs and Os and not deviating from the roles they were given. But if the opportunity is there then why not
Catchall
RealGM

Post#211 » by Catchall » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:08 am

Jazz now have 5 regular rotation players shooting 3s at 40% or better: Conley, Gay, Ingles, O'Neale and Bogdanovic. Mitchell is currently at 35% for the season.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#212 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:09 pm

D Rog wrote:I had a conversation with a couple friends / fans. We were talking about potential Jazz moves before trade deadline and then I read articles from SLC Dunk about acquiring Larry Nance, Eric Gordon or Harrison Barnes. J Notes talked talked about Jazz acquiring Sabonis. Real GM says Houston is open to offers for C Wood. Obviously Simmons is available.

My question is if you are the Jazz GM do you make a move prior to trade deadline? For who and how? I love Ingles but trading him may mess up chemistry too much. If you don't trade him, you can't replace him next year with another player in his salary slot. If you do trade him, you better get somebody that can initiate the Jazz offense. I don't have a problem moving Clarkson, but again you may mess up chemistry. I think Quin is mixing the starters and bench enough that you don't need him to come in and dominate as a scorer like they did when the Jazz first acquired him. Is there a player the Jazz can get by just using the Favors trade exception? Just curious of who you guys think the Jazz can get and who you are giving up - Or do you just stand pat. I am not sold on Butler (at least not this year). I would love a bigger PG to put with DM for this year and the next 3-4 years. My dream is Haliburton but I don't see any way Sacramento lets him go.

I am growing increasingly optimistic from recency bias :lol: that the Jazz should be included in the conversation for contender with the roster they have now. I am excited about upside for the bench that I believe is still blossoming. We could see two bench players out of Clarkson, Whiteside, Gay and Ingles, reach double figures on a lot of nights. Clarkson's post game comments last night left me hopeful that he is seriously thinking about incorporating more playmaking for teammates in to his game.

The Jazz will soon be tested against the best teams. In January, the Jazz play Phoenix twice and GS once. Then in early February, Jazz play GS again and Brooklyn. Klay Thompson and Wiseman have been assigned to Warrior's D League team for practice, so Jazz will probably get a complete Warrior roster to play. Go Jazz!

Edit: I assuming All Star Kyrie Irving doesn't reappear and turn the Nets in to an overwhelming, offensive juggernaut.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#213 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:56 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
D Rog wrote:I had a conversation with a couple friends / fans. We were talking about potential Jazz moves before trade deadline and then I read articles from SLC Dunk about acquiring Larry Nance, Eric Gordon or Harrison Barnes. J Notes talked talked about Jazz acquiring Sabonis. Real GM says Houston is open to offers for C Wood. Obviously Simmons is available.

My question is if you are the Jazz GM do you make a move prior to trade deadline? For who and how? I love Ingles but trading him may mess up chemistry too much. If you don't trade him, you can't replace him next year with another player in his salary slot. If you do trade him, you better get somebody that can initiate the Jazz offense. I don't have a problem moving Clarkson, but again you may mess up chemistry. I think Quin is mixing the starters and bench enough that you don't need him to come in and dominate as a scorer like they did when the Jazz first acquired him. Is there a player the Jazz can get by just using the Favors trade exception? Just curious of who you guys think the Jazz can get and who you are giving up - Or do you just stand pat. I am not sold on Butler (at least not this year). I would love a bigger PG to put with DM for this year and the next 3-4 years. My dream is Haliburton but I don't see any way Sacramento lets him go.

I am growing increasingly optimistic from recency bias :lol: that the Jazz should be included in the conversation for contender with the roster they have now. I am excited about upside for the bench that I believe is still blossoming. We could see two bench players out of Clarkson, Whiteside, Gay and Ingles, reach double figures on a lot of nights. Clarkson's post game comments last night left me hopeful that he is seriously thinking about incorporating more playmaking for teammates in to his game.

The Jazz will soon be tested against the best teams. In January, the Jazz play Phoenix twice and GS once. Then in early February, Jazz play GS again and Brooklyn. Klay Thompson and Wiseman have been assigned to Warrior's D League team for practice, so Jazz will probably get a complete Warrior roster to play. Go Jazz!

Edit: I assuming All Star Kyrie Irving doesn't reappear and turn the Nets in to an overwhelming, offensive juggernaut.

When the Jazz are moving the ball, making reads and making shots, they're nearly impossible to defend. The offensive ratings the Jazz have been putting up recently have been off the charts. Mitchell is having his best season in terms of efficiency and decision making. Rudy is playing great and the team has made some small improvements defensively, but I think they're basically saying, "Damn the torpedos" and deciding that they can out-score their opponent most nights.

I want to see the Jazz play Golden State and Phoenix before drawing too many conclusions, but I think the Jazz will be a top-2 seed in the West.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tugs
RealGM

Post#214 » by tugs » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:12 am

Watching the Rockets and Thunder and got me thinking how insane the Jazz depth is. 6 through 11 could start in both teams:

Clarkson
Ingles
Gay
Paschall
Whiteside
Forrest

And arguably the others in Butler, Azubuike, Oni could even play significant minutes to either squad
Catchall
RealGM

Post#215 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:23 am

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tugs
RealGM

Post#216 » by tugs » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:57 am

Demmit this means first round exit
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#217 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:14 am

An hour-long interview of Joe Ingles on JJ Redick's podcast:
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#218 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Do you trade some of Jazz' historically great offense to try to get a lengthy wing defender, or do you stand pat with the Jazz' top nine players and try some tweaks at the end of the roster? The addition of Ainge will probably significantly increase the number of trade ideas explored, but I think it is most likely we keep our top nine, and as a crazy Jazz homer and optimist, I am ok with that. I think there is a pretty good chance we see some tweaks or tweak at the end of the roster.

For future seasons, it would be a good idea to trade Joe Ingles for something now, but for win this season and team chemistry, he's a keeper. Bogey is our second highest scorer, and we saw him really step up last season when Mitchell and Conley were out. Clarkson is not having a great shooting season, but we will probably see some regression towards the mean. Even when Clarkson isn't shooting well, he puts a lot of pressure on the other team's defense and nearly always manages to be a strong positive plus/minus player. Whiteside and Gay are still incorporating in to the team and look like solid improvements over Favors and Niang. O'neale does lots of important little things that are reviewed in the article Babyjax posted above. Go Jazz!
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#219 » by AingesBurner » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Do you trade some of Jazz' historically great offense to try to get a lengthy wing defender, or do you stand pat with the Jazz' top nine players and try some tweaks at the end of the roster? The addition of Ainge will probably significantly increase the number of trade ideas explored, but I think it is most likely we keep our top nine, and as a crazy Jazz homer and optimist, I am ok with that. I think there is a pretty good chance we see some tweaks or tweak at the end of the roster.

For future seasons, it would be a good idea to trade Joe Ingles for something now, but for win this season and team chemistry, he's a keeper. Bogey is our second highest scorer, and we saw him really step up last season when Mitchell and Conley were out. Clarkson is certainly not having a great shooting season, but we will probably see some regression towards the mean. Even when Clarkson isn't shooting well, he puts a lot of pressure on the other team's defense and nearly always manages to be a strong positive plus/minus player. Whiteside and Gay are still incorporating in to the team and look like solid improvements over Favors and Niang. O'neale does lots of important little things that are reviewed in the article Babyjax posted above. Go Jazz!

I think you really have to look at trading Ingles now, yes great locker room guy but we have plenty of those. What he does is replaceable, he's on an expiring contract with thoughts towards retirement, and if he doesn't retire, is he going to take what he's worth, 5 mill per year?
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#220 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:10 pm

GobertReport wrote:
I think you really have to look at trading Ingles now, yes great locker room guy but we have plenty of those. What he does is replaceable, he's on an expiring contract with thoughts towards retirement, and if he doesn't retire, is he going to take what he's worth, 5 mill per year?

You might be right. Fortunately, I expect Ainge, and probably DWade too, can give Ingles and all of our players a professional dispassionate evaluation unencumbered by sentiment and emotion that I have as a long time fan. Would be a great story if Ingles won a championship here though. :biggrin:

Return to Utah Jazz