Official 2021-2022 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Scottie4Bro
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,043

Re: Official 2021-2022 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#301 » by Scottie4Bro » Sat Apr 2, 2022 12:01 pm

+our 2022 #32 pick and a future 1st.

Any interest in this deal in the offseason if your star tandem isn't working out by then?
D Rog
Junior
And1: 82

Post#302 » by D Rog » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:00 pm

NO INTEREST
D Rog
Junior

Post#303 » by D Rog » Sat Apr 2, 2022 2:03 pm

TNJazz wrote:Good question D Dog, I agree with Red, but there also might have been some question about an earlier return with 1 or both players, so having them with the team would have facilitated that should their recovery be faster than what it actually was.

Valid point though about getting more rest in familiar surroundings, although both players probably live in a hotel in SLC (at least House since he was so recently added as a part of the team) so hotel rooms are all pretty much equal. Now its just plane rides impacting rest. The trip also was in NY and LA, pretty fun towns to visit and they stayed in the same hotel for the Knicks and Brooklyn games.

I think if Bogey or House got healthy during the 6 game road trip the Jazz could hire a private plane to connect them with the team. That is pocket change in relationship to the teams operating costs.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#304 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Apr 3, 2022 2:23 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
I agree with you. I didn't write very clearly. Lindsey didn't leave Ainge a lot of picks or leave attractive contracts that could easily be traded to make the team a lot better at the trade deadline.

Yep and unfortunately it seems like the only way to improve the team this off-season is to trade Gobert or Mitchell, those are the only two with real trade value or take on an overpaid player like Harris and a pick for Conley and filler. We are just stuck with this team, hopefully NAW pays off because we could have gotten a decent pick or two for Joe Ingles last summer.

Yes, I don't think the idea of building a contender around Gobert and Mitchell was fundamentally flawed; I just think GM Lindsey did a poor job of building around them and made it increasingly difficult to do so going forward. Conley has been good, but bringing him in to create the smallest back court in the NBA was questionable, as was Conley's age, though Conley is still playing quite well. And we've also got the smallest PF in the league. Probably nobody would bet on the smallish Conley, Mitchell and Royce outplaying Boston counterparts Smart, Brown and Tatum in a playoff series. It's a mouse in the house all day long at all three positions and those three Boston guys can effectively switch off on defense.

The Lindsey pickup of another smallish shooting guard at the trade deadline last season, Matt Thomas, when we needed defensive wing help, was another head scratcher, even before we found out that Matt Thomas did not deliver on offense for us either. Trade deadline pickup Ilyasova was another weird pickup. Ilyasova was a great three point shooter and serviceable defender and rebounder around the rim with his length imo, but guys too easily blew by him when he was defending away from the basket, so Quinn wouldn't play him. Ilyasova got a total of three minutes in the playoffs. Signing Rudy Gay to a three year contract at age 35 and going in to surgery was another head scratcher. I still have some hope that Gay might help us in this year's playoffs, but the man is not getting younger, quicker and more energetic, which should surprise no one.

Ainge already performed dramatically better than Lindsey at his first trade deadline by adding two guys who are helping us out, Hernangomez and House, despite Lindsey not leaving Ainge much assets to work with at the trade deadline.

You may be right that Ainge has to trade Mitchell or Gobert this summer to get off the early playoff exit treadmill, but I am wishfully thinking Ainge can pull a rabbit out of the hat and keep building on the Gobert and Mitchell team, despite it looking like a really formidable task from here. And I still haven't completely given up hope for this year's team, though things are looking bleak.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 419

Post#305 » by TNJazz » Sun Apr 3, 2022 4:08 pm

I'm speechless. When I semi tongue-in-cheek went on my rant about worst loss of the season, I made a comment about don't worry, I'm sure that particular loss won't be the last one. I had no idea how weak this team is. Another 20+ point lead resulting in a loss. What is an adjective that describes worse than pathetic? That is where this team is. They can't blame Covid related illness nor injuries on this loss, they had the full roster available, except a 2-way player (Forrest), so this loss really speaks to their mental weakness...
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#306 » by vryadli » Sun Apr 3, 2022 5:01 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
I agree with you. I didn't write very clearly. Lindsey didn't leave Ainge a lot of picks or leave attractive contracts that could easily be traded to make the team a lot better at the trade deadline.

Yep and unfortunately it seems like the only way to improve the team this off-season is to trade Gobert or Mitchell, those are the only two with real trade value or take on an overpaid player like Harris and a pick for Conley and filler. We are just stuck with this team, hopefully NAW pays off because we could have gotten a decent pick or two for Joe Ingles last summer.

Yes, I don't think the idea of building a contender around Gobert and Mitchell was fundamentally flawed; I just think GM Lindsey did a poor job of building around them and made it increasingly difficult to do so going forward. Conley has been good, but bringing him in to create the smallest back court in the NBA was questionable, as was Conley's age, though Conley is still playing quite well. And we've also got the smallest PF in the league. Probably nobody would bet on the smallish Conley, Mitchell and Royce outplaying Boston counterparts Smart, Brown and Tatum in a playoff series. It's a mouse in the house all day long at all three positions and those three Boston guys can effectively switch off on defense.

I don't think anything will work till super heavy 3p mode is the only mode they can play offense. And that is hardly Lindsey doing. There were a lot of signing and trades which initially looked as good as the last one. Or better. But nothing changed anything.

And if it sometimes worked in regular, in PO - never.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#307 » by AingesBurner » Sun Apr 3, 2022 6:11 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:

The Lindsey pickup of another smallish shooting guard at the trade deadline last season, Matt Thomas, when we needed defensive wing help, was another head scratcher, even before we found out that Matt Thomas did not deliver on offense for us either. Trade deadline pickup Illyasova was another weird pickup. Illyasova was a great three point shooter and serviceable defender and rebounder around the rim with his length imo, but guys too easily blew by him when he was defending away from the basket, so Quinn wouldn't play him. Illyasova got a total of three minutes in the playoffs. Signing Rudy Gay to a three year contract at age 35 and going in to surgery was another head scratcher. I still have some hope that Gay might help us in this year's playoffs, but the man is not getting younger, quicker and more energetic, which should surprise no one.

Ainge already performed dramatically better than Lindsey at his first trade deadline by adding two guys who are helping us out, Hernangomez and House, despite Lindsey not leaving Ainge much assets to work with at the trade deadline.

You may be right that Ainge has to trade Mitchell or Gobert this summer to get off the early playoff exit treadmill, but I am wishfully thinking Ainge can pull a rabbit out of the hat and keep building on the Gobert and Mitchell team, despite it looking like a really formidable task from here. And I still haven't completely given up hope for this year's team, though things are looking bleak.

I hope Ainge can pull a rabbit too but I think we need to trade Mitchell for Brown or Barrett and picks, whoever gives us more value of course. Trade Conley and filler for Westbrook and picks. Flip Westbrook and pick for starting PG, Ben Simmons? Flip Players and picks for Jerami Grant.

Simmons-Barret/Brown-Bogey-Grant-Gobert
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#308 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 3, 2022 9:01 pm

Scottie4Bro wrote:+our 2022 #32 pick and a future 1st.

Any interest in this deal in the offseason if your star tandem isn't working out by then?

That's a laughable return for Mitchell. I'd think about Donovan for Barnes, but that's about it.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#309 » by AingesBurner » Sun Apr 3, 2022 9:18 pm

Scottie4Bro wrote:+our 2022 #32 pick and a future 1st.

Send us Scottie or Siakam and OG.
Ingles is cooked.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#310 » by tugs » Mon Apr 4, 2022 12:23 pm

To be fair though, it seems the team is involving Rudy more down low. Giving him the ball and letting him operate inside
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#311 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Apr 4, 2022 2:26 pm

tugs wrote:To be fair though, it seems the team is involving Rudy more down low. Giving him the ball and letting him operate inside

Not saying there is a correlation, but we've been sucking pretty hard lately.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#312 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 3:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
tugs wrote:To be fair though, it seems the team is involving Rudy more down low. Giving him the ball and letting him operate inside

Eh, I'd like see to big man, assistant coach Alex Jensen get a chance as head coach of this team if Snyder is poached by another team or is let go. I suspect we might see more in game adjustments and more use of Gobert and Whiteside (or Doke) in the offense.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#313 » by vryadli » Mon Apr 4, 2022 3:43 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Of course there is a correlation. Only disasters force some decision makers to use him. As soon as it begins to look better, they immediately reverse to 3P shooting by a couple of shooting stars.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#314 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:01 pm

Welp, the Jazz are supposed to be 48-30 right now, with the opportunity to take the 3rd seed tonight with a win over Memphis. That didn't work out.

It's looking like Dallas will likely get the 3rd seed with Golden State 4th, and Utah/Denver will go 5th & 6th.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
D Rog
Junior

Post#315 » by D Rog » Wed Apr 6, 2022 1:42 pm

It is always a good year when the Lakers don't make the playoffs 8-)
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#316 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 3:02 pm

This happens too often with our big men imo. Click on the "Read on Twitter" to get a bigger display.

Read on Twitter
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 419

Post#317 » by TNJazz » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:25 pm

Just listened to the pregame press conference with Q taking about losing double digit leads in the 4th and the notion of DM not passing to Gobert. While he obviously supports his players, he spins some statistics about how DM is actually just as accurate as other guard/center pass statistics, primarily Capella and Young from the Hawks.

The other interesting thing he discusses is the number of times the Jazz have lost double digit leads in the 4th. Notice he doesn't mention the 2nd half especially the 20+ point leads that result in a loss, but at one point says that if the game were to end after 3 quarters, the Jazz record would be the second best in the league with 55 wins. he does say, "if this is a problem, then we have to address it." Well, it seems to me it is a problem so...

The Jazz had more total wins last year (51, I believe) with fewer games than they will this year. That isn't even tread mill material, that is definitely going in the wrong direction.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#318 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:29 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:This happens too often with our big men imo. Click on the "Read on Twitter" to get a bigger display.

Read on Twitter

Eh. I still remember the games where Gobert was defended by Thompson and couldn't do anything with the ball when he did get it.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#320 » by red4hf » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:33 pm

Weird how that can be announced while Monroe is literally still on the Jazz roster.......

Return to Utah Jazz