Game 2: Utah Jazz (1-0) @ Sacramento Kings (1-0)

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 84

Re: Game 2: Utah Jazz (1-0) @ Sacramento Kings (1-0) 

Post#21 » by Charlie_S » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:12 am

There are good things to be taken from this game, winning ugly is very important during the course of the regular season. The team is pretty much the same as last year - same strengths and weaknesses, unsurprisingly so considering the top 7 players in the rotation are the same. There's not much to say about the main guys, some of them had decent nights, others were a bit off but they are who they are.

Not overly impressed with Paschall TBH. He looks like someone who would have been great in the 90's but I'm not sure about his fit in today's NBA, not with that shooting motion. Still hoping to be proven wrong of course.

Overall I feel that we're still short of a couple of competent NBA players to take some of the load off the older ones. It would be great if one of the deeper bench guys were to step up but I'm not super confident about that happening. Butler may be the best bet but he's still a rookie so we should temper our expectations. We obviously need Gay back.

Crunch 99 wrote:Quin was very complementary to Whiteside and Forrest, especially Whiteside, after the game. He said their minutes were huge. So I imagine Forrest, with his better defense, is still alive and well in a competition with Butler for scarce minutes. Perhaps which player gets some minutes will be game to game situational? Go Jazz!

Whiteside can certainly offer a level of physicality that current Favors simply cannot match, even on good nights he does have some mental lapses but if he can always be the player we saw yesterday he's a good backup for Gobert as his presence allows the team to play in a similar way even when Rudy is off the floor.

I like Forrest quite a bit, he's already an NBA-caliber defender and a good passer, he's not afraid to take initiative... the question will always be about his shooting, though. It will be hard for him to earn consistent minutes if he doesn't get to a respectable level. Still, he should definitely be ahead of Oni in the depth chart by now.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 1,308

Post#22 » by FJS » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:10 pm

Looking whiteside was surprising for me. I think he was not enough active, lazy and still lost several rebounds not boxing out opponents.
Then I watch box scores and I see he was +18 in 16 min and he was 8 points and 9 rebounds.
Still he was a tough presence in the paint.

Good win without playing well. I think kings is a better team than expected, and played with a lot of intensity.
jazz1232dc
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#23 » by jazz1232dc » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:09 pm

Anyone else watch the game on mute?
Gert42
Junior
And1: 106

Post#24 » by Gert42 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:07 pm

Good win. Upstart team with their home opener after winning in Portland was going to be a tough game no matter what.

Return to Utah Jazz