Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4)

Moderators: DelaneyRudd, FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,358
And1: 2,744
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#1 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:59 am

Not a pretty report for Jazz players at Rotowire early this morning. Click on link for updated info later in the day.
https://www.rotowire.com/basketball/nba-lineups.php

Image
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,358
And1: 2,744
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#2 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 12:03 pm

Has anybody heard any updates on Rudy Gay, whether he has participated in full contact practices? Seems like we would hear about Gay participating in full contact practice well before he would show up as a GTD. I sure hope Gay has some offense and defense left in the tank. We need a solid contribution from Gay this season imo. Hopefully he is inspired by the impressive play of his old teammate, Conley, who is just one year younger.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,097
And1: 5,946
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:25 pm

Haven't heard anything but I don't think it matters in the context of the regular season. We need him to be good and contribute in the playoffs. We can manage the regular season without him and still do well, so he should take all the time he needs to be completely healthy so he can be there when it matters.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
User avatar
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
Posts: 17,574
And1: 1,308
Joined: Sep 19, 2002
Location: Barcelona, Spain
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#4 » by FJS » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:56 pm

Gay was last game at the stadium, but any new with him.

Why is Gobert out? Why so many GTD??
Image
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,358
And1: 2,744
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#5 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 4:12 pm

FJS wrote:Gay was last game at the stadium, but any new with him.

Why is Gobert out? Why so many GTD??


If you click on the link for Rotowire NBA lineups in the initial post, then click on a player, they give you whatever info Rotowire has for that player. Here is their info for Gobert. He is out with a heel injury.
https://www.rotowire.com/basketball/player.php?id=3440
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 16,023
And1: 7,981
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#6 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 4, 2021 4:39 pm

They've got the injury report wrong. It's Rudy Gay who is out of the lineup, not Rudy Gobert. I'm pretty sure Gobert is playing.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,358
And1: 2,744
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#7 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 4:41 pm

Catchall wrote:They've got the injury report wrong. It's Rudy Gay who is out of the lineup, not Rudy Gobert. I'm pretty sure Gobert is playing.


Oh. That makes sense. They mixed up the Rudys. Lol. Edit: Rotowire has corrected their Rudy errors.

Read on Twitter
User avatar
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
Posts: 17,574
And1: 1,308
Joined: Sep 19, 2002
Location: Barcelona, Spain
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#8 » by FJS » Thu Nov 4, 2021 8:42 pm

With Gobert playing it changes everything. They are on a back to back.

I think we'll lose @ Heat, so better to win this one.
Image
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 16,023
And1: 7,981
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#9 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:15 pm

FJS wrote:With Gobert playing it changes everything. They are on a back to back.

I think we'll lose @ Heat, so better to win this one.


Mitchell isn't playing though. Makes things tougher.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 13,790
And1: 8,545
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#10 » by ducler » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
Posts: 9,501
And1: 630
Joined: Jul 04, 2002

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#11 » by red4hf » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:49 am

Love that second half..... What a performance.....
User avatar
JazzyPhinz
Starter
Posts: 2,327
And1: 1,070
Joined: Feb 23, 2006
Location: Lakerland, CA
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#12 » by JazzyPhinz » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:39 am

This is probably the best jazz team assembled ever. What a great time to be a fan
User avatar
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
Posts: 17,574
And1: 1,308
Joined: Sep 19, 2002
Location: Barcelona, Spain
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#13 » by FJS » Fri Nov 5, 2021 10:04 am

They fought and they showed they care.
Bad performance un the 1st, awesome un the 2nd.
And what I loved more was reactions in the bench when someone did a great play. It showed they are united.
Image
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,358
And1: 2,744
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#14 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 12:46 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:This is probably the best jazz team assembled ever. What a great time to be a fan


I am not certain they are the most talented Jazz team assembled --- they might well be, but I am enjoying this season and being a fan! Great win! Go Jazz!

Off topic look back: I loved Jerry Sloan and it's hard to argue with his impressive win percentage, but regarding the Stockton/Malone/Hornacek team, if Stockton had shot a little more often and Sloan embraced the three point shot a bit more instead of mostly eschewing three point shots and using them as a last resort shot, I think that team would have won championships. No teams were taking as many three point shots back then as they are now, but the Utah Jazz usually ranked dead last in the NBA for three point attempts, notwithstanding Hornacek being a career 40% three point shooter and Stockton a career 39% three point shooter. There were some teams attempting twice as many threes as the Jazz with shooters who weren't as good as Hornacek and Stockton. A lot of our three point shots were taken under pressure with the shot clock running out; imagine what Hornacek and Stockton could have done if Sloan had been proactively running some plays to try get them open three point looks.
Crunch 99
Head Coach
Posts: 6,358
And1: 2,744
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#15 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:44 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Haven't heard anything but I don't think it matters in the context of the regular season. We need him to be good and contribute in the playoffs. We can manage the regular season without him and still do well, so he should take all the time he needs to be completely healthy so he can be there when it matters.


We aren't needing him yet, but if Bogey misses some games, we probably would. In addition, I want to see Gay get in shape and have plenty of time to get some nice chemistry going with the bench unit to hopefully become a solid contributor on both ends of the court. Whiteside is looking like a great overall upgrade/replacement for Favors, but we really haven't replaced Niang's regular season, offensive bench production, which was pretty darn good. By the way, in the last three Philly wins, Niang has stepped up to average an efficient 17.7 ppg on 13 fga in 31.5 minutes of play per game off the bench.

I am happy that Paschall has started out his Jazz career focusing on defense, and I am really impressed that he can move that big body and feet fast enough to stay in front of some guards in addition to big men, but we aren't getting much offense out of him --- yet. I loved his drive with the muscle dunk finish last night! Go Jazz!
MTJazzv3
Veteran
Posts: 2,520
And1: 1,082
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#16 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 6:34 pm

I keep expecting the Jazz to get smoked given how inconsistent they are over 4 quarters. Last night great example - it was the Hawks to lose until Clarkson shot his way out of his shooting slump and took over. The encouraging thing is their veteran depth and deepish bench and system is keeping them in a position to win no matter how ugly they play.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 12,654
And1: 3,248
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#17 » by GobertReport » Fri Nov 5, 2021 7:17 pm

Every time I say Ingles is cooked and he goes off, guys I think he is reading this and showing me something. Every time he has a bad game I am going to say he is cooked. You're welcome :lol:
Ingles is cooked.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
Posts: 2,520
And1: 1,082
Joined: Jan 07, 2017
 

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#18 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:05 am

GobertReport wrote:Every time I say Ingles is cooked and he goes off, guys I think he is reading this and showing me something. Every time he has a bad game I am going to say he is cooked. You're welcome :lol:


I think my first comment on the game on a different board was in the first quarter and I was like; "Ingles already looks tired". Its still early as we all know, but I really like this season's roster. Subtle moves like Whiteside and Paschall didn't grab any headlines but both those guys are looking like key rotation additions already. Whiteside is kinda blowing my mind - all reports he is finally in his happy space as a human and in a system supporting him - and it shows on the court. Dude is Rudy Lite+ and honestly, I could see him do fine if Rudy gets injured as a starter with his rim/paint/scoring impact.

And then there is the whole Rudy Gay thing we have yet to see.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 12,654
And1: 3,248
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#19 » by GobertReport » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:24 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Every time I say Ingles is cooked and he goes off, guys I think he is reading this and showing me something. Every time he has a bad game I am going to say he is cooked. You're welcome :lol:


I think my first comment on the game on a different board was in the first quarter and I was like; "Ingles already looks tired". Its still early as we all know, but I really like this season's roster. Subtle moves like Whiteside and Paschall didn't grab any headlines but both those guys are looking like key rotation additions already. Whiteside is kinda blowing my mind - all reports he is finally in his happy space as a human and in a system supporting him - and it shows on the court. Dude is Rudy Lite+ and honestly, I could see him do fine if Rudy gets injured as a starter with his rim/paint/scoring impact.

And then there is the whole Rudy Gay thing we have yet to see.


I definitely agree on Whiteside, I think he finally feels at home. He and Rudy are BFF’s which was unexpected but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gave up money just to be happy and play with friends.
Ingles is cooked.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 14,097
And1: 5,946
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Game 8: Utah Jazz (6-1) @ Atlanta Hawks (4-4) 

Post#20 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 6, 2021 12:12 pm

GobertReport wrote:Every time I say Ingles is cooked and he goes off, guys I think he is reading this and showing me something. Every time he has a bad game I am going to say he is cooked. You're welcome :lol:

The solution is simple: put "Ingles is cooked" in your sig and he'll tear it up for the rest of the season.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz