NBA Draft - 2022 Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

NBA Draft - 2022 Draft Prospects 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Another season, another draft class. Here is the place to discuss any and all draft prospects.

Not sure about how strong and deep this draft class is going to be.

So far, the Jazz will probably have no picks unless they trade into the draft.

Current Jazz draft situation for 2022:

First round
2022 - 1-6 Own; 7-30 to MEM

Second round:
2022 - To NOP; MEM
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: NBA Draft - 2022 Draft Prospects 

Post#2 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 1, 2021 7:02 pm

Not sure how much enthusiasm I have for the upcoming draft this year. Last year, there were a couple guys I liked for the Jazz in the late 1st round that withdrew from the draft, including Benedict Mathurin and Roko Prkacin. It looks as though the Jazz won't even have their pick this year, so...
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 1, 2021 7:09 pm

Catchall wrote:Not sure how much enthusiasm I have for the upcoming draft this year. Last year, there were a couple guys I liked for the Jazz in the late 1st round that withdrew from the draft, including Benedict Mathurin and Roko Prkacin. It looks as though the Jazz won't even have their pick this year, so...

On the other hand, the Jazz managed to pick Butler who might turn into something, and all the players you were excited about last season how withdrew from the draft will probably be in this year's draft, so there's that. I definitely share the lack of excitement due to the Jazz's good record and lack of draft picks but who knows, a trade is always a possibility.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#4 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:29 am

The Clippers bought the 51st pick from Memphis and drafted this kid. He just turned 20 and he's doing this stuff against Marcus Smart and Josh Richardson. I like the Jared Butler pick, but remember we spent 6 years and $45M trying to develop Exum. There was no downside to making a move for this guy.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#5 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:34 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Catchall wrote:Not sure how much enthusiasm I have for the upcoming draft this year. Last year, there were a couple guys I liked for the Jazz in the late 1st round that withdrew from the draft, including Benedict Mathurin and Roko Prkacin. It looks as though the Jazz won't even have their pick this year, so...

On the other hand, the Jazz managed to pick Butler who might turn into something, and all the players you were excited about last season how withdrew from the draft will probably be in this year's draft, so there's that. I definitely share the lack of excitement due to the Jazz's good record and lack of draft picks but who knows, a trade is always a possibility.

Yeah, this is Benedict Mathurin. He would've been late first-round last year, but he's going lottery this year.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:20 am

My pick for us this year is Allen Flannigan. Most mocks have him as a mid to late second round pick, I think he is a lottery level talent. Reminds me of Lance Stephenson and Jimmy Butler, very tough, distributes the ball a bit. Just returned and has only played three games thus far, and I expect him to be slow out of the gate.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 am

Alondes Williams looks super interesting.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#8 » by bkohler » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:21 pm

I think Vince Williams Jr. looks really interesting for the Jazz. Elite defender, good shooter, good passer… and currently looking like a late second rounder. He’ll probably rise over time but should be in range for the Jazz to make a play.

He’s got great size at 6’6 … I’m actually not sure why he’s not a solid first round player.
Drgaliza2
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#9 » by Drgaliza2 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:18 am

I have a gut feeling you guys are gonna trade rudy gobert for james wiseman, kuminga and a 2nd rnd pick to get kai sotto from adelaide 36ers..
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#10 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:07 am

Drgaliza2 wrote:I have a gut feeling you guys are gonna trade rudy gobert for james wiseman, kuminga and a 2nd rnd pick to get kai sotto from adelaide 36ers..

That's actually an interesting offer, but I'm not sure the salaries work.

Drgaliza2
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#11 » by Drgaliza2 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Drgaliza2 wrote:I have a gut feeling you guys are gonna trade rudy gobert for james wiseman, kuminga and a 2nd rnd pick to get kai sotto from adelaide 36ers..

I tried in espn trade calculator
Warriors get:
Rudy gobert
Mike conley or bogdanovic (warriors would pick bogdanovic over conley i assume)

Utah get:
Kuminga
Wiseman
Wiggins

And according to that warriors get +14 wins so its a win for them so added 2nd round draft pick wont be too much to ask to get kai.

On paper warriors won the trade but in the long run utah have young talents and really needs to move on from gobert mitchell tandem. Wiseman and wiggins looks better defensively for utah than gobert solo. And if kuminga developed and start clarkson.. i think utah will be in a better spot than previous years.

Warriors would be a scary team to beat though, imagine +14 wins, projected 65wins minimum.

I dont know if utah is ready for a shake up but it seems likely..
Catchall
RealGM

Post#12 » by Catchall » Sun May 1, 2022 2:02 am

Drgaliza2 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I tried in espn trade calculator
Warriors get:
Rudy gobert
Mike conley or bogdanovic (warriors would pick bogdanovic over conley i assume)

Utah get:
Kuminga
Wiseman
Wiggins

And according to that warriors get +14 wins so its a win for them so added 2nd round draft pick wont be too much to ask to get kai.

On paper warriors won the trade but in the long run utah have young talents and really needs to move on from gobert mitchell tandem. Wiseman and wiggins looks better defensively for utah than gobert solo. And if kuminga developed and start clarkson.. i think utah will be in a better spot than previous years.

Warriors would be a scary team to beat though, imagine +14 wins, projected 65wins minimum.

I dont know if utah is ready for a shake up but it seems likely..

I'd rather trade Gobert to Atlanta for Collins, Capella, #16 and change. I don't see the Jazz taking Wiggins or Wiseman.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#13 » by Catchall » Tue May 3, 2022 7:08 am

It's looking increasingly as though the Jazz will be pursuing trades, in which case the Jazz could acquire a FRP. I'm starting to pay more attention to the draft, and I'm finding several guys that I like...

** Jaden Ivey looks like a sure-fire prospect who will be able to get to the rim at will. Of all the players I've seen in this draft, he's the one with Ja Morant or Anthony Edwards-like blow-by athleticism.

** Keegan Murray looks like a solid starter-level scoring wing with potential to expand his game on the ball. Think a more fluid version of Saddiq Bey with more self creation. Defense is TBD.

** Jalen Duren compares well to Bam Adebayo as an explosive and skilled 2-way big, and he's still very young. Mark Williams looks like another starter-level C who could be available in the mid-1st round, if the Jazz decide to move Gobert.

** Shaeden Sharpe is a raw, but prototypical athlete who compares somewhat to Jalen Green.

** Bennedict Mathurin could be an ideal 3D wing with some potential to expand his off-the-dribble game.

** Tari Eason is an intriguing developmental pick in the mid-1st, though he could end up in the lottery. Some of his advanced stats are off the charts.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
bkohler
Rookie

Post#14 » by bkohler » Tue May 3, 2022 5:55 pm

I've been looking at what picks might be most likely to be moved and who might be available at those picks. Some common ones are the mid lottery picks (6-8), CHA picks (13/15), SAN picks (20/25).

In the 6-8 range, I really like:
Aj Griffin - He was hurt his junior/senior year of high school and started the season at Duke hurt but still ended up shooting the ball extremely well (at one point he was at 50% shooting from 3). He's still got a bunch of potential to unlock as he just hasn't had as much time to play as others. Combined with the fact that he was often the 4th option at Duke, he gives me Devin Booker vibes. He's big 6'6' and long - I'm not sure he's a #1 on an NBA team, but I see him as a very high-level role player or 2nd option with room to grow.

Benedict Mathurin - as already noted, he looks good, came up big in important moments, and is a really well-rounded player. Reminds me of a bit of a mix between current Klay Thompson offensively and younger Klay Thompson. He's not a bad shooter but he's not Klay Thompson either, but his game just feels a lot like Klay right now.

In the 13 - 15 range, I like:

Jeremy Sochan - So he can't shoot and can't really contribute on offense but he's going to play defense and be great at that. He's big 6'9, athletic, and going to make an impact on every game just by his energy.

Mark Williams - I get strong Clint Capella vibes when I watch Mark Williams. Runs the floor hard, is a great lob threat, but needs to work on his hands, touch, and post-game. He's a good rebounder, and post defender and does pretty good on switches against smaller players. Thinking on it more he really gives me poor man's Gobert vibes. He's not nearly the intuitive defender Rudy is but the physical tools are there.

In the 20-25 range, I like:
Dyson Daniels - 6'6 Guard from Australia, maybe I just have a thing for big guards and perhaps it's the Australia connection but I love how competitive he was in the G-Leauge, he looks to be a quality defensive player, moves the ball well (maybe well enough to be a PG), he reminds me to Joe Ingles (not just because of the Aussie connection) but because he's got a bit of an old man's game to him, lots of craft. His biggest issue is going to be his shooting although he started shooting much better his last few weeks (46% from 3 his last 6 games). Definitely not someone that's going to go get you a bucket via something like a step back, much more of a play within a system type player.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#15 » by Catchall » Wed May 4, 2022 6:22 am

Jaden Ivey is a surefire star. Physically/athletically, he's more or less John Wall.

Jalen Duren is the next Bam Adebayo, and maybe more.

Tari Eason could be Jimmy Butler-like at the 3. Don't be surprised if he ends up in the top 10.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
bkohler
Rookie

Post#16 » by bkohler » Wed May 4, 2022 3:04 pm

Love Jaden and agree his a pretty sure thing - just don't think there's a world where we get into the top 4 to grab him. My personal big board has him at #2 with Jabari at #1, then Chet then Pabalo at #4.

Jalen just looks like he's ready to play but I'm not big on centers value, I think he'd be better towards the lower half of the lottery or even in the 20s. I think he'll be good but the game today just makes wings/big guards so important.

I've loved Eason's defensive potential but he just fouls.... so much!
bkohler
Rookie

Post#17 » by bkohler » Wed May 4, 2022 3:11 pm

Also, disagree with the Duren / Bam comp. Bam has/had a much better feel for the game, his passing has always been pretty good. Duren is bigger, and stronger but doesn't *feel* the game at the same level, IMO. However, I suppose if your comp is Bam coming out of college that's probably not bad - Bam's just made huge strides since then. My comp for him is current Mitchell Robinson. His athleticism pops and he'll be very hard to score on.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Wed May 4, 2022 7:10 pm

bkohler wrote:Also, disagree with the Duren / Bam comp. Bam has/had a much better feel for the game, his passing has always been pretty good. Duren is bigger, and stronger but doesn't *feel* the game at the same level, IMO. However, I suppose if your comp is Bam coming out of college that's probably not bad - Bam's just made huge strides since then. My comp for him is current Mitchell Robinson. His athleticism pops and he'll be very hard to score on.

I am comparing Duren to Bam coming out of UK. Duren is actually about a year younger than Bam entering the draft. Duren has the mid-range jumper, some ability to push the ball off a rebound, and some passing out of the high post, as well as the above-the-rim athleticism and fluidity. He's also switchable on the perimeter. Statistically he's comparable to Bam as a freshman.

As for feel for the game, I guess I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to a prospect who is that young and who hasn't had much coaching yet. Duren is also an inch or so taller and also a couple inches longer than Bam. He may or may not have the 38" vertical that Bam has.

Duren is good enough that I'd be surprised if he doesn't go in the 7 - 10 range. I think the kid from Duke is probably more comparable with Mitchell Robinson than Duren is, but I haven't watched him much.

I have reservations with AJ Griffin. It's hard to gauge how much injuries slowed him down at Duke. I'll watch him more, but off the cuff he has some similarities with Aaron Nesmith as a prospect, both good and bad. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with him in the top 10.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#19 » by Catchall » Wed May 4, 2022 7:53 pm

Ousmane Dieng is an interesting prospect from France who played in the NBL. He projects as a long 3D wing, but he needs to add strength and toughness on defense. He's not a star per se, but he could be a high-end role player in the mold of a Nic Batum. He'll likely go in the second half of the first round.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#20 » by Hoops Addict » Wed May 4, 2022 10:33 pm

It was insane to trade all those 1st round pics for Conley......a short, VERY OLD player.....who was still good then, but obviously on the way down.

We traded our future for him.

I usually love and study the draft.......bored this year again.

Return to Utah Jazz