NBA Draft - 2022 Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: NBA Draft - 2022 Draft Prospects 

Post#21 » by Catchall » Thu May 5, 2022 5:15 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:It was insane to trade all those 1st round pics for Conley......a short, VERY OLD player.....who was still good then, but obviously on the way down.

We traded our future for him.

I usually love and study the draft.......bored this year again.

Jazz gave up Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder, a pick that became Brandon Clarke and this year's late FRP. Yeah, it's a little bit of an overpay, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz traded Conley this offseason and got a bit of value for him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#22 » by D Rog » Thu May 5, 2022 5:38 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:It was insane to trade all those 1st round pics for Conley......a short, VERY OLD player.....who was still good then, but obviously on the way down.

Agree 100% - I am curious how many people that post on this board agree. As I recall following Tony Jones high praise of the trade on twitter and during post trade interviews that about 1/2 - 2/3 of his followers thought the trade would solve all the problems and I am quoting Tony Jones "Mike Conley is exactly what the Jazz need". I disagreed primarily due to age and size. I got reamed a new one. I am curious how many people are honest enough to admit they were wrong. Conley was solid but really didn't do much to move the needle for the end result. I wanted Dinwiddie & or D'Angelo Russel. Not sure how they would have turned out but they were both bigger and younger. Dinwiddie was under but I believe could have been had for Favors at the time. We will never know
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#23 » by bkohler » Thu May 5, 2022 7:05 pm

I mean the ultimate what if is what if the Jazz took Chris Paul when the rockets were paying for someone to take him instead of Conley.

CP + all those picks and Allen and crowder would have been quite the upgrade.

Hindsight as they say is 20/20.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#24 » by TNJazz » Thu May 5, 2022 9:29 pm

bkohler wrote:I mean the ultimate what if is what if the Jazz took Chris Paul when the rockets were paying for someone to take him instead of Conley.

The Uitmate ultimate what if is what if the Jazz had take CP instead of D Will? Remember how it was "The Jazz took the bigger stronger player who wold be able to stand up to the rigors of the NBA?" :oops: :o
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#25 » by D Rog » Fri May 6, 2022 3:02 am

TNJazz wrote:
bkohler wrote:I mean the ultimate what if is what if the Jazz took Chris Paul when the rockets were paying for someone to take him instead of Conley.

The Uitmate ultimate what if is what if the Jazz had take CP instead of D Will? Remember how it was "The Jazz took the bigger stronger player who wold be able to stand up to the rigors of the NBA?" :oops: :o

If the Jazz took CP instead of D Will, the Jazz would have been his first of 6 or 7 teams. He wasn't going to pull a Stockton and stay in SLC for 20 years.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#26 » by bkohler » Fri May 6, 2022 4:25 am

TNJazz wrote:

I do wonder what would have happened had D-will been content to stay. He had a legitimate debate going between him and CP for a bit there…

I still think this particular team with Paul would have won a championship. His helping Gobert and Mitchell excel on offense and the leadership he provided would have been game changers. Not to mention the fact we could have used all those picks to acquire another starter. Plus you’d have to imagine theirs no question Gobert resigns so we don’t draft a center but maybe Bane…

Oh the possibilities
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri May 6, 2022 2:52 pm

We could have avoided all this debacle if we had just drafted Nate Wolters. Just sayin' 8-)
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#28 » by Catchall » Sun May 8, 2022 7:44 pm

Impact Players in the Draft Who Could Help the Jazz:
1) Paolo Banchero - The proverbial Ben Simmons with a jump shot and post moves. Should be able to carry an offense.
2) Jabari Smith - a more fluid, better-shooting, more perimeter oriented Jaren Jackson, Jr. Franchise talent.
3) Jaden Ivey - hybrid of John Wall and Anthony Edwards. Impossible to guard.
4) Chet Holmgren - Maybe the All Star version of Jonathan Isaac. A versatile defensive big with ball skills.
5) Shaeden Sharpe - Game-changing athlete, like a bigger Jalen Green.
6) Tari Eason - Rugged defender like a James Johnson, but with three-level offensive potential.
7) Dyson Daniels - The Australian, lead-guard version of Gordon Hayward.
8) Jalen Duren - The next Bam Adebayo, a two-way athletic big with some passing and mid-range touch.
9) Keegan Murray - Solid complementary scorer to replace Bogdanovic. Slightly better version of today's Harrison Barnes.
10) Benedict Mathurin - Prototypical 3D wing.
11) Jaden Hardy - A more athletic D'Angelo Russell. Instinctive scorer and self-creator.
12) AJ Griffin - He needs his athleticism back. If it happens, then look out. If not, then not sure.
13) Ousmane Dieng - Complementary 3D wing with length, a la Nic Batum.
14) Mark Williams - Solid rim runner and paint protector.
15) Wendell Moore - Younger with more upside than Agbaji.
16) Jeremy Sochan - Defensive disruptor. Maybe he'll learn to shoot well enough like DFS did. Potential weapon at the 5.
17) Dalen Terry - Underrated 3D wing with on-the-ball upside.
18) Jalen Williams - Versatile, 2-way wing with underrated athleticism.
19) Malaki Branham - Knock-down shooter with limited self-creation. Think Norm Powell or Gary Trent Jr.
20) TyTy Washington - He's as good a prospect as Cole Anthony and Tyrese Maxey were entering the draft. Yes, he's a bit small.
21) EJ Liddell - Versatile like Grant Williams, but with better passing and more game off the bounce.
22) Nikola Jovic - A project who needs to improve his athleticism, but too much offensive upside at 18 y.o. to pass up on.
23) Leonard Miller - A young, raw project with upside who should at least be able to defend al la Jaden McDaniels.
24) Marjon Beauchamp/Kendall Brown -- Pick your favorite.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#29 » by Catchall » Tue May 10, 2022 5:19 pm

I'm coming around on Nikola Jovic. He needs to work on his body, and he may never be more than an average defender, but his ball skills, fluidity and feel for the game for a 6'9" wing are pretty special. Also, he's still 18 years old. I honestly think he could probably play at the 2. Fantastic pick in the mid-1st and onward. I think he's going to be a killer.

Look at the play he makes in isolation at 0:54

;t=1s
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#30 » by Catchall » Sat May 21, 2022 11:33 pm

I really, really like Dyson Daniels. I love that he measured out a bit taller and longer than Klay Thompson. I love the consistent energy level he plays with. I also think it's unfair to expect a skinny 18 year-old to consistently make 3pt shots. It's not a natural motion for most shooters until they're able to add strength. Daniels has such confidence and touch in his floater game that I have to believe he'll work out his shooting. I think Daniels legit has some star potential.

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#31 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun May 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Do we even have a FRP in this draft?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#32 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:14 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Do we even have a FRP in this draft?

We have no picks. Will have to trade for them, or sign UDFAs. I'm hoping Allen Flannigan stays in and we can sign him after the draft, but that's not going to fundamentally alter the team. Also, Catchall's list is great.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#33 » by Catchall » Mon May 23, 2022 7:02 am

babyjax13 wrote:

We have no picks. Will have to trade for them, or sign UDFAs. I'm hoping Allen Flannigan stays in and we can sign him after the draft, but that's not going to fundamentally alter the team. Also, Catchall's list is great.

There have been some rumblings that the Jazz could trade Gobert to Charlotte or Atlanta. In at least the Charlotte scenario, the Jazz would likely acquire their picks at #13 and #15. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other offers for Gobert that involve picks in the lottery range.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#34 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:05 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

There have been some rumblings that the Jazz could trade Gobert to Charlotte or Atlanta. In at least the Charlotte scenario, the Jazz would likely acquire their picks at #13 and #15. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other offers for Gobert that involve picks in the lottery range.

I think ATL the obvious deals are:

A) Capella + Collins
B) Capella + Gallo + 16 + Johnson

and Charlotte, I am not sure how to make up that value because it has to be either:
A) Hayward + 13 + 15 + ???
B) Oubre + Plumlee + 13 + 15 + ???

They aren't going to include Washington, Bridges, Ball, Jones, or Thor, and I suspect not Bouknight, either, although that's what I'd push for (he's unhappy not being in the rotation and he's talented and could play the 2 next to Donovan).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#35 » by Catchall » Mon May 23, 2022 7:30 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:We have no picks. Will have to trade for them, or sign UDFAs. I'm hoping Allen Flannigan stays in and we can sign him after the draft, but that's not going to fundamentally alter the team. Also, Catchall's list is great.

I think ATL the obvious deals are:

A) Capella + Collins
B) Capella + Gallo + 16 + Johnson

and Charlotte, I am not sure how to make up that value because it has to be either:
A) Hayward + 13 + 15 + ???
B) Oubre + Plumlee + 13 + 15 + ???

They aren't going to include Washington, Bridges, Ball, Jones, or Thor, and I suspect not Bouknight, either, although that's what I'd push for (he's unhappy not being in the rotation and he's talented and could play the 2 next to Donovan).

The Atlanta scenario is likely Capela, Hunter, Future 1st, though it could be a 3-team deal.

The Charlotte scenario would be Washington, Plumlee, 13, 15 -- though I'm not sure where the rest of the salary comes from. Again, maybe a 3rd team gets involved.

These are the rumors anyway.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#36 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:37 am

If we trade into the draft, Jalen Williams is who I want. I think his ceiling is a poor man's Paul George/Khris Middleton. Think low-tier all-star who can handle the ball a bit, makes good reads, and hopefully develops a bit more as a shooter. I've moved him into the lottery in my mock but I don't think he's actually going to go there.

[youtbe];t=95s[/youtube]

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#37 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jun 6, 2022 9:07 pm

babyjax13 wrote:If we trade into the draft, Jalen Williams is who I want. I think his ceiling is a poor man's Paul George/Khris Middleton. Think low-tier all-star who can handle the ball a bit, makes good reads, and hopefully develops a bit more as a shooter. I've moved him into the lottery in my mock but I don't think he's actually going to go there.

[youtbe];t=95s[/youtube]

Looks like a potential first rounder. Do you think the Jazz would actually trade into the first round? I can see picking up a cheap second round pick, particularly from a team with more than one in the second round.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#38 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jun 7, 2022 4:34 am

D Rog wrote:

Agree 100% - I am curious how many people that post on this board agree. As I recall following Tony Jones high praise of the trade on twitter and during post trade interviews that about 1/2 - 2/3 of his followers thought the trade would solve all the problems and I am quoting Tony Jones "Mike Conley is exactly what the Jazz need". I disagreed primarily due to age and size. I got reamed a new one. I am curious how many people are honest enough to admit they were wrong. Conley was solid but really didn't do much to move the needle for the end result. I wanted Dinwiddie & or D'Angelo Russel. Not sure how they would have turned out but they were both bigger and younger. Dinwiddie was under but I believe could have been had for Favors at the time. We will never know

This board thought it was one first too much. Some people hated it, some were okay with an overpay for the sake of going all in (me) but no one really thought it was the right value.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#39 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jun 7, 2022 4:35 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:If we trade into the draft, Jalen Williams is who I want. I think his ceiling is a poor man's Paul George/Khris Middleton. Think low-tier all-star who can handle the ball a bit, makes good reads, and hopefully develops a bit more as a shooter. I've moved him into the lottery in my mock but I don't think he's actually going to go there.

[youtbe];t=95s[/youtube]

Looks like a potential first rounder. Do you think the Jazz would actually trade into the first round? I can see picking up a cheap second round pick, particularly from a team with more than one in the second round.

If we trade Gobert I think we get a first.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#40 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 7, 2022 5:54 am

I've got guys I like at different stages of the draft, but until the Jazz have a pick I can't really get too obsessed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz