questions from a total non-believer of your team.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

questions from a total non-believer of your team. 

Post#1 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:23 pm

1. If you could pick any non- all nba player to stick in the backcourt with mitchell who would some people be?
2. why dont they give rudy the ball more if its clearly a key to their postseason success?
3. Why is utah holding draft capital when they beleive they are a contender?
4. how good is royce oneil on star and superstar wings. im noticing hes quite good, regardless of gobert being on the floor.
5. in a series vs the warriors are you more concerned about the jazz offense or the jazz defense?
6. What would Win now trade look like for the jazz?

I have watched them for 2 weeks now, and i am very impressed, they play a fun style. Mitchell is underrated, but i cant help but feel like this team reminds me of the rockets before they got chris paul in how they play a very particular style on both ends and dont have much of a counter, partially due to roster, partially due to coaching philosophy. it is a shame because they CAN win with a few tweaks by the staff and more buy in from managemnent.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: questions from a total non-believer of your team. 

Post#2 » by stitches » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:31 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:1. If you could pick any non- all nba player to stick in the backcourt with mitchell who would some people be?

Depends on how you qualify them but I would be looking at big guards/wings to pair up with Mitchell... and hopefully with some defensive ability - Jaylen Brown, Mikal Bridges, SGA? Might be cheating with the position on some of those.

2. why dont they give rudy the ball more if its clearly a key to their postseason success?

Depends on what you mean by "give Rudy the ball more". If you mean, seek him more on the roll and on cuts - yes, they should but most of our guards have blinders on when attacking. If you mean they should be giving it to him to create - then, no, I don't want to see that. This is not what makes Rudy a great player.

Well, we are not really holding draft capital. We've are 2 future 1sts down and multiple seconds down. Also - when you are contender it doesn't mean you should give up all your future assets. That's dumb. In fact, a lot of us were upset about the price we paid for Conley, dumping Favors, dumping Korver, dumping... I'm losing count already... lots of players...

4. how good is royce oneil on star and superstar wings. im noticing hes quite good, regardless of gobert being on the floor.

He's good. Probably about... above average, but nothing special. He might have a good game here or there against good wings, but if you expect Royce O'Neale to shut down LeBron or Kawhi or PG13 in the playoffs, you are in for trouble. With that said he's probably the best we have.

5. in a series vs the warriors are you more concerned about the jazz offense or the jazz defense?

I want to see a few games between those teams in their current iteration before I say for sure. But I feel like the defense has much more questions to answer than the offense, especially after last playoffs meltdown. This Jazz offense has been good for a while now, including in the playoffs. We create good shot almost by default, the question is "will we hit them?".

Bojan for a big defensive wing of some sort, maybe? No idea who that might be. Who needs shooting and offense more than defense on the wing?

-Harrison Barnes? What would we need to add? Would we do that? No idea.
-Luguentz Dort? Is he available?
-Jae'Seaon Tate?
-Can we ressurect Robert Covington?

I have watched them for 2 weeks now, and i am very impressed, they play a fun style. Mitchell is underrated, but i cant help but feel like this team reminds me of the rockets before they got chris paul in how they play a very particular style on both ends and dont have much of a counter, partially due to roster, partially due to coaching philosophy. it is a shame because they CAN win with a few tweaks by the staff and more buy in from managemnent.

Agree defensively. This has been the main culprit in our defensive struggles in the playoffs. We are not ready to change up what we are doing and it has happened several years in a row now. Lets see if they can do it this year, because the formula is now known about how to minimize the impact of Gobert. Now you have to have the players to do it and you have to hit some 3s, but yeah... the Clippers outlined a very particular way of playing this Jazz defense that tore it to pieces.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#3 » by AingesBurner » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:08 am

1. If you could pick any non- all nba player to stick in the backcourt with mitchell who would some people be?

Dillon Brooks, he’s a big defensive wing and likely attainable.

He should be more involved with the offense and the Olympics showed that.

Umm, we don’t really have anything great to offer.

He’s above average but we need some one bigger and more athletic.

Both.

Big 3&D wing that can start. Preferably using guys like Butler, Ingles, O’Neale, Udoka, and picks as bait.

-“I have watched them for 2 weeks now, and i am very impressed, they play a fun style. Mitchell is underrated, but i cant help but feel like this team reminds me of the rockets before they got chris paul in how they play a very particular style on both ends and dont have much of a counter, partially due to roster, partially due to coaching philosophy. it is a shame because they CAN win with a few tweaks by the staff and more buy in from managemnent.”

They are super fun to watch but they not only doubled down with style with Hassan but got guys who can play 5 out like Gay.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#4 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:07 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:1. If you could pick any non- all nba player to stick in the backcourt with mitchell who would some people be?

1. Mitchell would ideally be paired with a two-way guard who can play effectively both on the ball and off the ball. Jrue Holiday would be a nice fit.

2. The Jazz run an offensive system that puts teams in a 'pick-your-poison' situation. Teams have to decide what they're going to give up, whether it's a) Rudy scoring easily at the rim, b) open 3pt shooters who hit at over 40%, or open lanes for Mitchell, Conley and Clarkson to create for themselves. Rudy is best within 8 feet of the rim when he doesn't have to dribble more than once, but more importantly, the ball has to move. Jazz don't run post-ups because they prefer more ball movement to create open shots. You'll see Rudy draw defenders in the paint and then kick the ball to shooters who are now open as a result.

3. The Jazz are still gathering data on the roster they currently have and looking for player combinations that work best. Jazz are far and away the #1 offense this season so far and a top 6 or 7 defense. They have to be careful what their next move is so that it's a clear improvement. Their best move would be to add a two-way player on the wing, since the Jazz have plenty of shooters.

4. Royce is tough and has quick hands. He actually looks good guarding Lebron James and bigger wings and forwards. He's not quick enough or long enough to defend high-powered guards on the perimeter. For example, Royce struggles with Jamal Murray and Ja Morant. Wings with extra length, like a Kevin Durant, would just shoot over him. Rudy Gay would take those matchups.

5. Against the Warriors switching defense, I'd be concerned about the Jazz's ball movement and relying too much on Mitchell/Clarkson to create one-on-one. Defensively, the Jazz are pretty good at trapping Steph, making him give up the ball and take tough shots. Conley also guards Steph pretty well in 1-on-1 situations. I actually like the Jazz in a series with the Warriors. I think a lot of the Warriors' fast-paced off-ball movement and misdirections won't translate to the playoffs. The Warriors are also small on the interior, and the Jazz's combination of Gobert and Whiteside really punishes teams at the rim. The Suns are a tougher matchup because they have long, switchy defenders on the perimeter and they score really well from mid-range.

6. I would trade young players (e.g., Jared Butler, Udoka Azubuike), plus a pick and an expiring player for Christian Wood and play him next to Rudy at the 4. Then the Jazz have a second big on the floor for when Rudy gets pulled out of the paint. Or, if Mathisse Thybulle gets moved in a Simmons trade, I would try like hell to get Mathisse on the Jazz. Jazz should be in the market to buy more defensive length and more rebounds at the wing.

The Jazz are built like the Morey-ball Rockets AFTER they acquired Chris Paul. What the Jazz really need is their Trevor Ariza.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz