Maybe time to blow it up?!

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Maybe time to blow it up?! 

Post#1 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:30 am

Just spent time looking into the future picks for Utah and realized that 2023 is really the only time during Mitchells contract you could tank and recover to be competitive when he’s ready to resign.

Maybe we should move the Vets (including Rudy) and try and land a lottery pick or two this year and then tank for the 2023 draft.

Mitchell + 2/3 good young prospects would be a nice core to try and rebuild from even if Mitchell decides to leave.

(Yes, I am depressed about last night… why do you ask?)
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Re: Maybe time to blow it up?! 

Post#2 » by Catchall » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:06 am

No. The Jazz are currently like the Warriors team before they acquired Andre Iguodala. They really just need to find one more player, imo, not make big changes.

The problem the Jazz have right now is that their 'system' players can't beat their defender off the dribble, or reliably make plays off the dribble. So when teams switch defensively on the perimeter and trap Mitchell to get the ball out of his hands, Mitchell will move the ball, and someone else needs to make a play off the dribble--whether that's getting to the rim or driving and kicking to an open shooter.

Bojan isn't that guy. He's a spot up shooter who can occasionally attack a close-out or punish a mismatch. He's not an on-the-ball player. Royce isn't that guy. He's strictly a catch-and-shoot player who can occasionally make a play out of the short roll. Unfortunately, Mike wasn't that guy last night either. He's so small, that an athletic guard defender with some size can take him out. He's mostly a perimeter shooter at this point.

The Jazz need to take one of these three players off the floor, realistically it's probably Royce, and replace him with someone who can play off the dribble and defend well. This is the reason the Jazz brought in Rudy Gay, but I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank at this point. So the options are probably to develop Eric Paschall as a makeshift point-forward and to see what they have in Nickeil Alexander-Walker.

Jared Butler isn't ready yet, and Trent Forrest has negative gravity as a shooter. I'm not sure if Juancho Hernangomez is relevant to this discussion or not.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
bkohler
Rookie

Post#3 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:07 am

The biggest difference between the current Jazz team and the warriors team you mentioned is age - the Jazz core is not young and besides Donovan probably isn’t going to get much better. The warriors got iggy AND got individual improvements from Steph, Klay and Draymond… that’s not going to happen for this team.

Conley, Bogey, and heck maybe even Rudy bests days are behind them.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#4 » by Catchall » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:09 am

bkohler wrote:The biggest difference between the current Jazz team and the warriors team you mentioned is age - the Jazz core is not young and besides Donovan probably isn’t going to get much better. The warriors got iggy AND got individual improvements from Steph, Klay and Draymond… that’s not going to happen for this team.

Conley, Bogey, and heck maybe even Rudy bests days are behind them.

If we go with the Warriors analogy for a moment, then Donovan is the Jazz's version of Steph Curry, Bojan is the Jazz's version of Klay Thompson, and Rudy is the Jazz's version of Andrew Bogut. Maybe Royce is like the Warriors' version of Harrison Barnes.

The Jazz don't have a Draymond or Iggy who can play as a secondary initiator. Conley is supposed to do these things, tbh, but he's just too small going up against bigger defenders now.

It's worth trying an experiment with Nickeil. His statistical profile is actually very similar to Iguodala's numbers with the Warriors -- 12pts, 3 rebs, 3 asts, 33% 3pt FG. He's less efficient overall from the field, but if he cuts down his usage and the types of looks he gets, it might be okay.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:12 pm

I think we should have do that years ago, but that's just me. I think that if we once again get bounced in the first or second round, then there is a very good chance that we will blow it up, now that we have a new owner, Wade and Ainge, who did not had much to do with the construction of the current roster. Gobert will probably be hard to move, but the rest of the roster will be overhauled around Mitchell, I think. Time will tell.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#6 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:16 pm

Problem with tanking is similar to problem with any recreational drug...

It's addictive.

You can always tell yourself : Just one shot more and I can leave it when I want.
But it's sooooo easy to loose and sooooo hard to win...

I can understand why so many teams end up lying in an alley surrounded by their own vomit and babbling nonsenses over a Tankathon table and an empty Draft syringe.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#7 » by TNJazz » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:55 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:I can understand why so many teams end up lying in an alley surrounded by their own vomit and babbling nonsenses over a Tankathon table and an empty Draft syringe.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Catchall
RealGM

Post#8 » by Catchall » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:20 pm

TNJazz wrote:
El Hespiritu wrote:I can understand why so many teams end up lying in an alley surrounded by their own vomit and babbling nonsenses over a Tankathon table and an empty Draft syringe.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is true. Sometimes you have to draft 2 or 3 high-level prospects in order for one of them to really hit. Ask the Knicks -- Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox and Obi Toppin were all top-10 picks. Kristaps was supposed to be their franchise talent.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#9 » by vryadli » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 am

Catchall wrote:If we go with the Warriors analogy for a moment, then Donovan is the Jazz's version of Steph Curry....

There no reason to go with this analogy any further. This 2 players a so-o far from each others in terms of streakiness, shooter percentage for difficult 3p and - most importantly on W-impact, so it is evident: the GS path to ring for Jazz is not available.

If Jazz or their fans want ring, that the only option is Detroit path. Which path by the way, are more or less used by Suns. But I understand for some fans, coaches GM and players that path is too boring.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#10 » by bkohler » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:04 pm

What’s the Detroit model? A bunch of non superstars? I think that only has worked once. And the suns had the 13th pick, 10th and the 1st pick…. Seems kinda like tanking to me.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#11 » by vryadli » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:38 am

bkohler wrote:What’s the Detroit model? A bunch of non superstars? I think that only has worked once. And the suns had the 13th pick, 10th and the 1st pick…. Seems kinda like tanking to me.

Yes, hard-nosed defense and team work on offense. And as far as I know one is still bigger than zero.

Number of pick... Is it more or less than in Minnesota? Anyhow, the real superstar (quite a bit agid) there is only CP. Who is not famous for his heroics, by the way.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#12 » by Rauxcee » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:41 pm

Mitchell will bolt if the Jazz tank and rebuild. If the Jazz are going to do it, then they need to get rid of everyone, including Mitchell.

Also, I don't think the Jazz should do that anyway. Tanking rarely works. The sixers tried it and it did not work for them at all. Unless there is a known generational talent in the draft like Lebron and Duncan, it's a waste of time. I would much rather watch a competitive team with great talent and players I enjoy watching compete, even if they never get it done, then lose and hope something unprecedented happens. Thinking tanking will lead to a championship is like thinking you can win the mega lotto.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#13 » by D Rog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:22 pm

Too late to "Tank" this year.

My 2 cents - Mitchell is just another prima donna NBA player. He will push to get what he wants and even if the Jazz gave him 100% of what he wanted, he will ask for a trade if they only get to the 2nd round of the playoffs. I am kind of looking forward to the Jazz trading him. I just hope Ainge fleeces his new team so he doesn't have any supporting cast and the Jazz can get a quick start to a rebuild. Doesn't really matter... I don't see the Jazz getting to the NBA finals anytime soon.

Return to Utah Jazz